Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
I've been waiting for a chance to play Masks since I got the book. I'm either going to give my Legacy another shot, or try a Delinquent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
Black Knight, the Delinquent

"Ladies and gents, you deserve the services of a first-rate wizard, but I'm afraid you're going to have to settle for a second-rate thug."

Theme Song

quote:

Hero Name: Black Knight
Look: Man, White, Laughing Eyes, Casual Clothing, No Costume Identity Concealing Ring
Abilities: Teleportation, Power Negation Sorcery

Labels:
Danger: 0
Freak: 0
Savior: 0
Superior: +2
Mundane: +1

Delinquent Moves:

Are You Watching Closely?: When you mislead, distract, or trick someone, roll + Superior. On a hit, they are fooled, at least for a moment. On a 10+, choose three. On a 7-9, choose two.

- you get an opportunity
- you expose a weakness or flaw
- you confuse them for some time
- you avoid further entanglement

On a miss, you’re hopelessly embroiled in it and under pressure; mark a condition.

Criminal Mind: When you assess the situation, you can always ask one of the following questions, even on a miss:

- What here is useful or valuable to me?
- How could I best infuriate or provoke ____________?
- What’s the best way in/way past?

Troublemaker: When you help a teammate through destructive, criminal, or rule-breaking actions, you can give them a +2 instead of a +1 when you spend a Team from the pool.

Moment of Truth: This is when you show them what you really are. Whether you’re the hero underneath the rebel facade...or the one who can make the hard choices heroes can’t make. You do whatever it takes to show that truth, whether it’s saving the day from a terrible villain or stopping a bad guy once and for all. Of course, once you’ve shown what you really are, there’s no going back to playing the clown...

Team Moves: When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if they think you’re cool. If they say yes, give them Influence and take Influence over them. If they say no, mark a condition or spurn them immediately. If they’re a teammate, then either way, add a Team to the pool.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence over you, and ask them who they’d like you to be. Mark potential if you show them that person. If they’re a teammate, add a Team to the pool no matter what.

Backstory:

How did you get your powers?

You don't just "get" magic. It's (read this in a stuffy, pretentious accent, if you please) "a rare ability that must be harnessed and nurtured with care, lest its full potential be never achieved". Sarcasm aside, my aunt started giving me lessons when I moved in with her. She told me that a magic user's personality can shape the nature of their powers. According to her, my knack for time manipulation comes from an intense desire to control my own destiny.

What do you do for fun?

Besides the usual stuff (anime, music, and video games)? I play the piano. Snark all you want. It helps me concentrate and keeps my parents off my back about what I'm doing with my free time.

Who, outside the team, thinks better of you than you do?

My friends from school. Paul Bartlett might act like a goofball, but he has a good head on his shoulders. And that's part of what I like about him. Paul took me under his wing on my first day here, when I was feeling totally lost. He's had my back ever since then.

Rita McDowell is my fellow exile from Halcyon City. We've done a lot of commiserating over that. She's really into superhero stuff, and she even designed a logo for me (depicted below). And, well, she believed me when I told her the story about why I got sent to Summitview. That I was trying to do the right thing before my parents gave me the boot. Both of them did.

There's also Aunt Priscilla, but I'll talk more about her later.

Why do you try to be a hero?

I became a villain...a wannabe villain because I was frustrated. And bored. My parents never showed their faces except to dictate my life. Back then, it seemed like everyone just wanted to mold me into a suit just like them. Except Rubedo. Don't ask me his real name. I never even saw his actual face until I took this ring from him. We met when I was learning how to tap into my powers. He showed me the ropes, and it wasn't long before I became his partner in crime. I told myself we were fighting for our freedom against authorities who weren't worth listening to, or some crap like that.

Rubes? He was a magic school dropout who wanted to prove that he didn't need anyone's help to become a great alchemist. Preferably by blasting his old school into rubble and looting the remains. That didn't go over so well with me. I mean, the mech (Rubes called it a "enchantment imbued alchemical combat vehicle". It was totally a mech.) he created for the job was pretty cool, but wrecking the city on the way there? Not so much. For what it's worth, I tried to stop him. We'd arrived at the Academy and left a city block of destruction behind us, but I had to try.

We argued. We had a shoving match on top of the magical weapon. Then Rubedo lost control of the mech, which continued attacking. Stuff got set on fire. People were screaming. Needless to say, we were past the point when talking would do any good. Instead, I began trying spells in a vain attempt to bring the mech down. I couldn't concentrate. All I could think of was how stupid I had been. How dozens of people I didn't even know were about to pay for my selfishness. Then I focused that anger into a ball of energy, and released it.

When I opened my eyes, everything was grey and frozen. Maintaining the spell felt like I was supporting the literal weight of the world. The mech had stopped, but I couldn't hold it for that long. I was wondering if I was going to be stuck doing an Atlas impression when Rubedo's former master showed up to, well, show the two of us up. Walking through the courtyard in spite of my spell, she took out a pink wand that looked like it was made of plastic. With a single wave, she undid the time stop and reduced the mech to scrap.

Not that we didn't deserve it, but our parents (and the authorities) came down on us like a ton of bricks. With his criminal record, Rubes was shipped off to some facility for superpowered juvenile offenders. I got fitted for a tracking anklet and sent to live with my aunt in Summitview.

Why do I try to be a hero? Because I want to be a better person than the one I just described.

Why do you care about the team?

They...treated me like I already was that better person, or at least trying to be.

Which hero inspired you to get into the business?

After a lifetime of fighting the good fight as Hrist, my aunt died of cancer in an empty hospital room, with just her stupid apprentice for company. When Priscilla started teaching me, she told me it was for her sake and not mine. That night, I asked her to explain what she meant.

"I did the hero thing for too long, Swann. I've stopped a lot of evil things, but to be honest I'm unsure how much I did to actually help people, in the end. I guess...I just wanted to prove to myself I could add something good to the world."

I want to prove that to her, as well.

You want to know why I call myself the Black Knight? Back in medieval times, some of them would paint their armor before riding off on a quest, so no one would know their name (or the name of their ruling lord). And that's the kind of hero I want to be. No identity. No allegiance except to the people who need someone to stick up for them. Nothing to judge me by except what I do and how I do it.

What embarrassing incident happened during your first attempts at heroics?

So, imagine you got ahold of some experimental power suit with optic camouflage. What would you do with it? For some idiot, the answer was "rob a mattress store".

...Yeah. I was confused as you were, but I tried to take the guy down, anyway. I landed a few good hits on him, even managing to force him to remove his helmet after I shattered his goggles. Then he grabbed me by the collar and threw me across the room, hard. Word to the wise, slowing down time doesn't help with velocity until you've completely negated the force of the impact. And hitting a mattress didn't stop me from spraining an arm. Memory foam, my rear end!

What has been your greatest success on the streets of Summitview?

I helped Rita find her necklace. Casting a spell to locate it was the easy part. The pendant had been in her family for generations, so she had a strong sympathetic connection with it. The hard part was hiking three miles into the woods, not to mention getting poison ivy. Eugh. But that necklace was really important. It was one of the few things Rita had to remember her mom by after her folks split up.

What aspect of Summitview would you miss most?

I'd miss my friends. Before I was banished here, I couldn't remember the last time I could be myself around someone. Now I have two people to do that with. Summitview's a cool place to hang out, too. Everything is just a short walk away, and the scenery is always nice. Plus, I'd rather do right by Aunt Priscilla in the place she called home.

(optional) What are you doing in the show's intro credits montage?

The camera pans through a world devoid of color and movement, settling on a collection of raindrops frozen in the air. With a burst of static, Lionel's reflection appears in each of them. He smirks. Taking on a vibrant shade of red, the droplets become a cloud of rose petals. They scatter into the wind as time resumes its course. Lionel watches them fly from his rooftop perch.

DeTosh fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 8, 2016

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
The Black Knight

quote:

What, outside of heroics, have you thought about dedicating your life to?
...drat. That question has been keeping me awake for months. You understand this all started because people wanted me to dedicate my life to something I didn't want, right? I-I don't even know what to say. I guess...I wouldn't mind playing the piano. Like, in a band, or something.

quote:

How might moving to Halcyon City help you in accomplishing that dream?
What, seriously? How good do you think my odds of becoming a professional musician would be if I stayed in Summitview? To get a job like that, I'd practically need to return to Halcyon and find a group or a company looking for a piano player.

DeTosh fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 8, 2016

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
Just letting you know that my app is finished. I probably shouldn't be that proud of the fact, but it's been months since I've been able to complete an application. So, yeah.

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde

Tricky posted:

Black Knight, The Delinquent

How has your (short-lived) criminal past made things harder in Summitview?

The tracking anklet makes getting around way tougher than you'd expect, especially with all the nature. Seriously though, a lot of people have given me the benefit of the doubt. Or at least they don't expect trouble from me as a rule, if I'm not constantly throwing around spells. That said, I've had to keep my continued study of magic even more of a secret than before. Aunt Priscilla isn't around to talk people down anymore. Also, the cops make a habit of keeping a close eye on me (who do you think my jewelry is reporting to?). It doesn't help that I've attracted one or two of the wrong kinds of admirers. Neophyte villains who think I'd make a good addition to their team.

quote:

Priscilla had a few enemies of her own. Which one was she most worried about? Any clues on his or her next move?

Well, I'm not her first apprentice, and not all of them turned out as passable as me. Tristan comes to mind. You've probably seen the "wanted" commercials and such, but there's more to the lunatic than meets the eye. First off, don't let his apparent age fool you. He's in good enough shape that it almost counts as a power by itself. Speaking of age, Tristan's only a couple years older than me. He traded away his youth to...something for that magic gun he carries. He also gets more ammo for each victory in a fight (preferably by murder), and he couldn't be happier about the fact.

The dude loves fighting. The tougher his opponent, the better. Tristan thinks we're pals because I cut his arm off during our last run-in ("Nice one, B! Hrist would be proud of you."). Lost no time in getting a cybernetic replacement, either. But I'm not the first target on his list. He mentioned something about bagging something or someone big enough for a substantial power boost. *Sigh* He'll be back. He even asked me to keep training until we meet again. Sicko.

quote:

What do you think think it'll take for you to consider yourself a real hero? What about for the public?

To answer both questions at once? When I show up to help people and they believe that's the case.

DeTosh fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 13, 2016

• Locked thread