Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

The Beacon

Can anyone really say their dream job is to be an astronaut or a doctor or something anymore? Suuure, they're important jobs and and they'd be probably be cool to be, but come on, we've had three generations of superheroes! I bet you couldn't find a single kid growing up who didn't want to become a superhero when they were old enough. Including me, obviously! "Ooooooh, but you don't don't have any powers, how could you possibly be a superhero?" asks you, and everyone else. It's stopped a lot of people, but not me, I knew the answer even when I was a kid, hard work and dedication, it's the American Way. I told em, I'd become a superhero if I had to pull myself up by my own boostraps, and that's exactly what I did!

I'm not stupid, I knew I couldn't just go out there and be one, I had to work it. So before I tried any heroics at all, I spent years training, first just getting into shape, then getting into better shape than anyone else in school, and then I started the real work, practicing with the sword Gramps brought back from WWII and Great Grandpa's (on the other side) old Six Shot he used as a sheriff out west. Once I could hit six targets rapidly moving in opposite directions with ricochet'd shots, I knew I was almost ready, so I started working on my costume and trying to come up with a name - it was in front of me all along, even though it took ages to think of. Despite having everything ready, I was still a bit too nervous to actually go out and try to find a crime to stop for awhile, but then one day I was at the shooting range practicing, and there was a huge crashing noise and a giant -really more large I suppose, it was about twice the size of a person - robot smashed into the wall!

Well, that was the push I needed, I knew what I had to do! I slipped into an unsmashed room, pulled on my costume - I had it in my bag, you never knew when duty would call, after all - and went outside to take it down! That was the first time I wore the costume too! Unless you count the times I tried it on in front of a mirror in my room with the door locked while I worked on it, which I don't. Anyway, by the time I got out there, it was complete chaos! There weren't any heroes from Halcyon City there yet, but the robot had smashed up all the cars on the street and was trashing the buildings too, people were running and screaming and everything. Well, I wasn't going to let this robot destroy our town, so I stood right in the middle of the road and yelled at it that All American Girl was going to take it down!

It completely ignored me.

That was super embarrassing, and I was so mad! I tried shooting it, but I didn't have any of my special bullets yet, and it had armor plating, so my shots just kept bouncing off without it even noticing! I had to do something though! Eventually I ran up a fire escape to the second floor of a building and jumped off, cutting through one of it's arms with my sword as I fell past. That got its attention. It threw a truck at me. I barely managed to dive out of the way! After that I just had to run for it, using the damaged cars as cover to hide until some professional heroes got here from Halcyon City - including Meteoric Molly(!), and she actually complimented me on holding it off! ME! Her! She's from Summitview originally, you know? And she's been my hero idol forever, since I'd see her whenever she'd visit, and she's always the first to head this way when a report comes in. That and you can see her at night sometimes, flying over Halcyon City, leaving her signature meteor trail of fire behind- but I managed to stop its rampage from going any further! After that, I trained even harder. I hadn't been good enough to stop it on my own, so I knew I needed to get better. And get better bullets.

So I did. And I found a team! I wasn't the only smalltown girl who wanted to be a hero! We grouped up, and we're the best. It's so great, we're like a group of best friends, like a family, we all have each others back and all that, none of the sports teams I've ever been on have had that feeling. This isn't just my chance to be a hero, its my chance to make friends that'll last a life time, and save each other when stuff goes down. The team might have my back (or most of them, anyway), but Mom and Dad were not happy when they found out. But, it doesn't really matter, since Gramps has custody, and he's always supported me in this. I don't think he thought I'd actually make it, but now that I have he's even happier for me. The only other person to really give me, as myself, trouble over it is my English Teacher. Everyone at school knows I want to be a hero, but none of them know I'm actually doing it. But she (Mrs. Cooper) is always trying to talk me out of my dream, going on about how much of a natural writer I was, and I could really be someone if I didn't get distracted by hopeless attempts at heroics. Well, she doesn't know what she's talking about, I can be way more of a someone saving lives and fighting with real heroes and blowing up GIANT ROBOTS and saving Summitview and Halcyon City and the world!

The Beacon posted:

Hero Name: All American Girl
Look:

With a red, white and blue Domino Mask and no horse.

Abilities: Bow Revolver and trick arrows bullets, Swords

Moves
Suck it, Domitian
When you stand strong while dramatically under fire, roll + Savior instead of + Danger to directly engage a threat.

Won't Let You Down
When you help a teammate, you can spend 2 out of the team pool to add +2 to their roll.

Never give up, never surrender
When you take a powerful blow from someone with far greater power than you, use this move instead of the basic move.
Roll + Savior. On a hit, you stand strong and choose one. On a 7-9, mark a condition.
- you get an opportunity or opening against your attacker
- you rally from the hit, and it inspires the team; add 1 Team to the pool
- you keep your attacker’s attention
On a miss, you go down hard but leave your opponent off balance and vulnerable.

Drives
Choose 4 drives to mark at the start of play. When you fulfill a marked drive, strike it out, and choose one: mark potential, clear a condition, take influence over someone involved. When your 4 marked drives are all struck out, choose and mark 4 new drives. When all drives are struck out, change playbooks, retire from the life, or become a paragon.

□ Lead the team successfully in battle
□ Kiss someone dangerous
□ Punch someone you probably shouldn't
□ Help a teammate when they most need you
□ Take down a threat all on your own
□ Outperform an adult hero
□ Pull off a ridiculous stunt
□ Save a teammate's life
□ Get drunk or high with a teammate
□ Drive a fantastical vehicle
□ Get a new costume
□ Get a new hero name
□ Earn the respect of a hero you admire
□ Make out with a teammate
□ Punch out a teammate
□ Break up with someone
□ Stop a fight with calm words
□ Tell someone your true feelings for them
□ Travel to an incredible place (or time)
□ Reject someone who tells you “you shouldn't be here”

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, tell them how they're awesome and add a Team to the pool. If they tell you how you're awesome in return, add another Team to the pool.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them to confirm or deny that you should be here. If they confirm it, mark potential and give them Influence over you. If they deny it, mark Angry and shift 1 Label up and 1 Label down, your choice.

Moment of Truth
This is the moment when you show them exactly why you belong here. You do any one thing, take out any one enemy, no matter how insane, no matter how ridiculous, because that’s you. Their jaws are gonna drop when you’re done. Of course, pulling off a stunt like this tends to bring unwanted attention and a dangerous reputation..

Stats
Freak: -1
Danger: -1
Savior: +2
Superior: +1
Mundane: +2

Relationships
____________________ is awesome, and you take every chance you get to hang out with them.
You've got to prove yourself to_____________________ before you feel like a real hero.

Influence
You are so excited to be here. Give influence over you to three of your teammates.

Unanswered Questions
What has been your greatest success on the streets of Summitview?
Alone? Hmm... Oh, I know! I managed to stop the Skullbashers Biker Gang! They don't actually bash skulls in, but they do tend to commit a whole bunch of low level crimes in every town they pass through, smash up a few bars and rob some people, that sort of thing. We heard they were coming - you can hear the sound of the weird souped up motorbikes about a mile off - so I got to the highway before they could and got into position. Once the first one showed up, I hit em full blast with one of my glue bullets, it burst all over him and trapped him and his bike in place. I ended up gluing ten of them before the rest backed off, and the police were able to come in and arrest the ones I caught - we even got their leader! It wasn't like stopping a super villain really, but I still saved the town from a lot of trouble and caught a criminal who'd been wanted for ages!

What aspect of Summitview would you miss most?
I love the smalltown feel. Halcyon City is amazing, and I love what I've seen from my trips there, so many people, and so much you can do, and even better so many famous heroes based there, but back home it's really nice to just know everything. Every person, every store, every home, every dog. It's a real community there. I can't imagine it'd be possible to know everyone somewhere like Halcyon City. Or even everyone in a neighborhood.

GodFish fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Tricky posted:

Round One Questions
All American Girl, The Beacon
Trick bullets, huh? That's awesome! Where do you get them from? What's your favorite?

Aren't they just? I love em! Gramps pays for them, we get them custom made from one of the Heroics supply companies, Avalon Inc. If I was a suponsoured hero, they'd come a lot cheaper, or, really, the League pays for them completely, but since I'm independent, we have to pay full price. Gramps has a lot of money though, he was pretty successful after he came back from the war, so we can afford it. Picking a favorite is pretty hard! The glue shot is always useful, and the taser bullet likewise... Maybe the expansive gel bullet? Once it hits head on, it creates a big ball, like four feet across, of absorptive gel, so if you jump from a high place and land on it, you just sink into it, then slowly pop out, good as new. And the way it expands means it won't damage anything inside of it, but it will grow out around it, so you can trap someone in it if you need to. Thought its hard to beat good old explosive bullets. Mine come in a range of power and size, from the force of a punch to grenade strength.

quote:

Are you entirely self-taught or did you have help learning how to use a sword?

I'm mostly self taught. I looked up online tutorials on youtube, and I took fencing for a quarter at school, that was the only time they offered it. Otherwise it's just me and my sword, and weighted training swords. After awhile, I good tickets to go to a non-powered competition in Halcyon City, and I got first place there, and that was a year ago! Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I'm very good. It's all about the hard work and dedication.

quote:

I hear that Mrs. Cooper isn't the only one who is a fan of your writing. Who did you impress that was completely unexpected? What were you writing about?

Ugh, that doesn't matter. I'm not going to become an author, I'm going to be a superhero! But fine, since you already know about it anyway, I'll tell you. It was a short story I put in for an assignment in class a few months back, I was writing about a fictional young superhero out in the wild west, had all sorts of adventures with powered people, but the thing was, the only thing she had was her horse and her gun, no trick bullets either. It was a story about manifesting your own destiny and helping to forge a new society in the wastelands of the unknown. Obviously there weren't any superheroes back in the wild west, but it was a good story! And Mrs. Cooper entered it into a national competition for young authors, without telling me. It came in second, and I got offered a scholarship and stuff, but like I said, I'm not taking it, I'm not going to be a writer. I'm going to be a superhero!

quote:

What, outside of heroics, have you thought about dedicating your life to?

Didn't I just tell you that? Nothing. I'm a superhero, I'm not doing anything else with my life, there's nothing else I want to do. And I bet anyone who tells you something else about themselves is a big, fat, liar.

quote:

How might moving to Halcyon City help you in accomplishing that dream?
To become a superhero? Isn't that obvious, there's way more trouble to stop, you can save a lot more people than I can back here, and the Leage pays more attention to Halcyon City heroes than outsiders. Unless you meant the 'other' dream, which I don't have. Well, there's more opportunities in general in Halcyon City, but still. Meaningless. I'm not the kind of person who gives up on a dream because it's difficult.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

quote:

Showstopper is awesome, and you take every chance you get to hang out with them.

quote:

You and Showstopper pulled an awesome (if illegal) stunt together.

He's pretty cool, and always fun to hang out with, though I wish be a little less trouble... but I know he just needs a good role model like me to set him straight! And that's me, obviously. His ... questionable ... morals aren't always bad either, the other day we were trying to stop some criminals, but they were getting away, and we didn't have any ride, so he hotwired a car. I don't approve really, but since he'd already done it, and we did need to catch them... I didn't complain. And we got them! It was kind of fun too... not that I said that. Anyway! Yeah, I hang out with him a lot, he's good for playing video games with and I like his music. I can't carry a tune or hold a beat or anything, but I did come up with some improvements on his lyrics - which aren't really his strong point.

quote:

You've got to prove yourself to Alleycat before you feel like a real hero.

Alleycat doesn't have any flashy powers like Tundra and Mystia, but his enhanced physical attributes in general means he's basically a stronger, faster me, except without all the training I've put into my weapons. So, basically, if I can perform as well as him, or better, and really impress him, then that means I've made it, because I'll be at the same level as a super. No one will be able to deny I'm a hero then.

quote:

Mystia once hurt you when she lost control of her powers

Mystia kept trying to treat me like a little porcelain doll or something, always refusing to train with me, but I wore her down eventually. She was worried she'd hurt me, and, well, she did, but that isn't the point! If I never practice fighting someone with powerful magic, how will I ever manage to fight against a super villain with powerful magic? Exactly. So sure, I might get beat up worse training with her than I do fighting some heroes, but at least I'm learning. And maybe she'll get better control over her powers if me getting hurt encourages her to focus more.

GodFish fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Oct 14, 2016

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

quote:

You are so excited to be here. Give influence over you to three of your teammates.

Mystia is going to be one of the strongest magical superheroes ever I bet, once she figures out how to control her powers anyway,
Showstopper needs help keeping on the good side of the law, but he'll be going places, and I'd bet he'll be a pretty famous hero and musician!
Alleycat is like... the model hero, as far as things go, right? His powers might not be a standout, but he's the kind of hero that becomes a role model for kids, if I don't get there first.

Tundra.... Well she has powers, but... I really don't know why. She's kind of flakey, and I'm pretty sure a lot of people would have been better suited for them. Especially someone like, say, me. Hmph.

Relationships

Leadership Vote
Me, obviously! Uh, if that isn't allowed... Alleycat. Mystia really should be focusing on her own powers for now, Showstopper is... kind of a loose cannon? And Tundra... Yeah.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Technically, our team started with me and Showstopper, after the car/motorcycle chase we did in the hotwired car. I definitely didn't enjoy it at all, but the two of us worked together well, and I knew if I wanted to help Showstopper turn over a new page in his book and become a proper hero, he'd need someone like me around to show him the way forward, so I asked if he wanted to team up, and he agreed! (I didn't actually say the bit about needing to help him stay straight or anything, I'm not stupid, I can target a pitch)

He knew a few of the other heroes around, had been trying to recruit them for a bit apparently (kind of rude he didn't try to recruit me before then, really) I'm not entirely sure how we got everyone, because I think we all recruited someone/each other, sort of at the same time. I went to find Alleycat and ask them to join, because they're Alleycat -we couldn't form a team of teen heroes in Summitview without Alleycat - and managed to find them just in time to help beat up a bunch of criminals trying to jump him. He knew Showstopper and had already agreed to work with him, I think? So that got Alleycat, and Alleycat and Showstopper both had worked with Tundra, who I guess was already teaming up with Mystia, I think Showstopper might have known her too?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
I am!

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Oh no, sorry about your cat :(

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Definitely interested!

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
I should have failed more Any rolls :ohdear:

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

quote:

Showstopper is awesome, and you take every chance you get to hang out with them.

He's pretty cool, and always fun to hang out with, though I wish be a little less trouble... but I know he just needs a good role model like me to set him straight! And that's me, obviously. His ... questionable ... morals aren't always bad either, the other day we were trying to stop some criminals, but they were getting away, and we didn't have any ride, so he hotwired a car. I don't approve really, but since he'd already done it, and we did need to catch them... I didn't complain. And we got them! It was kind of fun too... not that I said that. Anyway! Yeah, I hang out with him a lot, he's good for playing video games with and I like his music. I can't carry a tune or hold a beat or anything, but I did come up with some improvements on his lyrics - which aren't really his strong point.

quote:

You've got to prove yourself to Sparrow before you feel like a real hero.
I'll admit, she seems a little bit of a dork, but, like, only in being even more earnest than I am. Did you hear about the time she used her powers to make cherry blossoms float around here while she fought? That has to be the silliest thing I've ever heard of. BUT. She's got crazy powers, and she's really talented, she even uses a sword, just like I do. I even heard she was trained by the famous Nova Star, though I'm not sure I believe that. If I can match her, or get her to see me as an equal, I've definitely really made it as a hero.

GodFish fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jan 24, 2017

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Voting for Sparrow!

The Super Six!

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Excluding Bombshell's no vote, Sparrow wins team leader.

Tundra and Showstopper, you traitors.

Still need Team Names

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Hey, All American Girl only voted for her because she thought people would either vote for Tundra or her, based on the last time she was on a team with two of these people, who both stabbed her in the back. :colbert:

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Rauri posted:

So Sparrow is Trump, got it.

All American Girl got the popular vote! In her heart.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Justice Friends is.... acceptable...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Well she's the only one who we actually know was trained by a real hero.

• Locked thread