Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Callie Spring the Star

""And tonight's guest star is a girl a long way from home - all the way from Summitview, where the trees are green, the view's nice, and literally nothing else of note -" The audience laughs as the joke is told, the host - Mic Maestro - finally raising a hand to quiet them down as he laughs to himself, "All the way from there - we have Callie Springs! The new rising superhero, fresh to our fair city, and already making a splash! You've probably seen her on her hit reality TV show "Springtime of Justice", but I'm sure you're craving more of her already, because I know I am!" Maestro laughs loudly, and a stage hand whispers in my ear, directing me to step out as the laugh ends for the most effect. It's nerve wracking, and I sweat bullets, trying to hold myself together for the audience - after all, I'm Callie Spring, not some newbie.

So as the laugh ends, I step out onto stage, looking to the live audience and giving a victory sign and a wink as I walked, eliciting cheers of my name from those who already know me so well. Settling into the slightly oversized chair, I cross my legs daintily, and smile towards Mic - but also in the direction of the cameras, not actually looking at his face, "Well, I'm certainly glad to be here myself, Mic. And I'm so glad to see all of you wonderful audience members - and to be here for those of you at home!" I giggle as I blow kisses towards the cameras and audience, making certain to give a little attention to everyone - after all, a hero who doesn't appreciate the people back at home is no hero at all! The reactions are amazing, and make me smile so happily it hurts my cheeks.

Once I'm finished with that though, it's time for the interview - the typical things. "How old are you?" "Sixteen this upcoming 20th of March!" "Oh, so you're a Pisces? "Well, I suppose I am - but I've always been told I'm a lot like an Aries too - guess I was just born a day early!" "Hah, maybe you've just got both - speaking of signs though, what inspired you to get into heroism? "Gosh, that's a hard one, Maestro. I think it'd have to be when I was ten years old though - ten's a hard year, it's when you know for sure a lot of those things your parents told you about were fake. You know, Santa, the Tooth Fairy, all those fantastic things. I had a friend back then who was so sad about how our town had no magic, and I dunno, I just felt like I wanted to make magic in the world. And so here I am!" "All because one kid was sad about normalcy?" "Not at all - because lots of kids were sad about normalcy. I wanted to show kids all over the world that you could seize your dreams - I dreamed of being a hero, so I became one, and now I want to inspire them to do the same!"

The audience cheers and claps, so I just give some little waves as they do, letting them have their reactions, before Maestro quiets them down with his powerful voice, "And you started with your team back home, in Summitview? How'd you get to know them, and what made you all join up together?" "Well, it's not really getting to know them, so much as I already knew them. We were all great friends, and well, it seemed natural that when a group of friends all wants to be heroes and do some good, you do it. We didn't always do big things, I think we started out as a 'team' just picking up garbage in costumes we made ourselves, when we were young." The audience laughs, so I pause for a moment, "Yeah, yeah, my first costume actually had me calling myself 'Wonderful Warrior of Wighteousness", yeah you heard that right - I had a bit of a speech impediment back then." Another laugh, I just bask in it, smiling - I don't mind mentioning it.

Maestro interrupts before I can keep talking, his voice amused still - I didn't notice, but he must have laughed with the others, "And yet you're so confident and able to speak nowadays - people say you say some pretty inspiring things, and I've never seen you trip up either." "Well, I was always confident - I didn't care how I sounded, I liked to hear myself speak, and that's kind of how I worked through it. But yeah, I don't really have an impediment anymore, though sometimes I notice it slipping out when I'm really excited!" I start to stick my tongue out at a c-"

-------------------------------------------

"Moooooooooooommmmmmmmmm aren't you listening?!" I yell towards the laundry room, as I pace through the house, my mother non-responsive as I go on about how life in the city is totally going to be. Oh well. I suppose it's time for an introduction to our lovely audience - I am Callie Spring, and... well, none of what I was talking about earlier has happened. Yet. I mean, I am going to be sixteen on that date, I did get inspired that way, and most of the stories I told were one hundred percent true. But uh, I actually still live in Summitview, for now - but hey, it's not all bad here. I'm a local superhero, used to go by the name 'Dreamer', but then I was like, okay, I'm just going to use my normal name, since everyone knew who I was anyways. I'm mostly known for my... 'show' Springtime of Justice... that I put on for the kids and stay at home moms sometimes.

I mean, it's also kinda big on Youtube, I'm up there with channels like 'PointlessBlog', because some of it's real I mean I like to set up cameras when we're going out and doing our heroics and may have more than a few Go Pros and it's fun and cool. But it's a pretty cool show, where... well, I discuss following your dreams, being a good person, eating all your vegetables, and all those good things. See, when I was little, I decided I wanted to be influential, because I wanted to make everyone happy - I wanted everyone to be healthy, and to have fun, and generally all those kinds of things! So I started being a hero, and I started showing off what a hero was. I want to inspire people to be heroes, and to be their star. And... well, someone noticed us, noticed the team, and now we're going to the city which is... well, it's pretty crazy.

My Mom's been... pretty great, really. She's a single mother, my dad's a deadbeat, but she like, always encourages me. When I get hurt, she patches me up, when I need new clothes she saves up to help me, she sews up all the battle damage I get, she's just super swell and awesome. I love her so much, and I mean, I wouldn't be here without her, like... literally. When my powers came in, it was weird - I mean, I was like twelve at the time, and I remember touching a beautiful butterfly, and well, then I was in the hospital because my Mom came searching for me and found me passed out. Then I had powers, and well... I think I'm going to ask the League if they'll move her out to the City with us, once we get there and meet up because I mean duh, they're totally gonna ask us to join the League, we're just that cool. I mean, it's not that I don't like it here, but she deserves to live in an awesome cool city too, especially if I'll be able to help support her with all the new things I'm getting...

Speaking of, Springtime of Justice might become a like, real show soon. See, I put up a video when we got called to the city, and well, I announced that I'd be moving there, and that I was totally gonna be a hero in -the- Halcyon City. And, well, one thing lead to another, and a very big TV company - Disney - decided to contact me, and asked if, well, I'd want to maybe have a reality TV show on ABC, about life in the city, and like, the team and stuff. And well... I uh, I might have said yes without like, telling the whole team about it - but I mean, it's such a great idea. We would be inspiring millions of people around the world with our heroics, not just ten or fifteen or a hundred! Though to start they do wanna like, keep it mostly in Halcyon as a local show, to... you know, gauge interest and stuff, which is... understandable.

But I'm going to be big, you know. I'm going to be the bigger than Mic Maestro, because duh, every child should surpass their heroes - there's nothing better than to be inspired to the point where you become bigger than what inspires you. It doesn't matter if one of the League members - Crimson Hawk has, ahem, privately told me that he disapproves of the idea of turning superheroing into a show, and that I will, and I quote 'never be on the League so long as I make a mockery of what heroics is'... well, I'm still going to do it - I'll do both, I'll be a hero, and I'll be a star, I'll inspire kids all around the world. And that's all there is to it.

quote:

Which hero inspired you to get into the business?

Mic Maestro is the biggest star of the hero game - though he's retired now from active heroics, his sonic powers, great personality, and well, good looks made him top notch in both aspects. He's well known nowadays for his show 'Cape Night', where he interviews anyone related to the heroing world - celebrities about to play Bronze age heroes in new movies, grandchildren of former heroes, active heroes, even some former villains... He's an inspiration to me - I wanted to be a hero because I watched his shows, and it made being a hero seem so cool. I... really, really want to meet him.

quote:

What embarrassing incident happened during your first attempts at heroics?

So... my powers are not exactly a perfected art. When I say 'I can manipulate pheromones transmitted from my body', people instantly assume that means that I can make people very... attracted to me. And that is, in part, what I can do - unfortunately, they are also based upon my own emotions in a few ways, something I didn't know was true when I was having my first real attempt at heroics without the rest of the team. And, well, I was trying to calm a very, very agitated robber at a local convenience store, and maybe he said some stuff that sorta angered me, and well, the next thing I knew he was practically frothing from the mouth with rage. The good news being that he was so angry he tried to throw his gun at me instead of something actually useful... the bad news being that he uh, was kind of twice my height. Kind of embarrassing to explain to the police that you managed to catch the guy by sprinting away from him and tiring him out, because if he caught you, you'd probably be dead...

quote:

What has been your greatest success on the streets of Summitview?

I uh, I stopped an actual villain, one from Halcyon and everything, when I was younger. See, she'd broken out of prison and was all over the news, apparently fleeing the city proper and being somewhere in the countryside... so I went out on patrol, to keep her out of Summitview. And guess who I found while I was on patrol, other than Miss Ice herself. I mean, I was lucky because it was the middle of summer and the sun was super bright and it was pretty hot out at the time, so she was weaker than usual, but well... I mean, I actually got to meet my first League hero, when they came to pick her up... she actually still writes me, because uh... Well, lets just say I am very convincing and I talked her into peaceably surrendering... with my powers.

quote:

What aspect of Summitview would you miss most?

I'm... I'm probably gonna miss the kids most. Sarah and Lisa and Freddie and Jackie and Nick and Reese and... well, just everyone. I've watched a lot of these kids grow up, I baby sat more than a few of them as their 'super amazing superhero sitter', and I helped some of them learn to read and write and gosh. I just really am going to miss them all. I know they're all great kids though, and know all about what is Just and Good and Kind, so they'll totally take care of the younger kids who didn't get to really learn from me. I don't have to worry about the town at all, in their hands.

quote:

(optional) What are you doing in the show's intro credits montage?

Making that V for victory sign over an eye and then winking at a camera.

quote:

Name: Callie Spring
Hero Name: Spring Time
Look: Woman, White/Latina, Charming Smile, Preppy Clothing, Stylish Costume
Abilities: Pheromone Control

Labels

Freak +1
Danger -1
Savior +1
Superior +2
Mundane 0

Moves

Time for the Show:
When you put on a flamboyant display of your powers, roll+Superior. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 1. Spend your hold 1-for-1 to name an NPC present and choose one:

● This person must meet me
● This person loves me
● This person volunteers help or information
● This person admires my team
● This person must have my help

On a miss, your display catches someone watching in exactly the wrong way; brace yourself.

Voice of the Masses: When you rally your audience to a cause, roll+Superior. On a 10+, they follow your lead as long as your performance doesn't falter. On a 7-9, they take it too far or make stressful demands on you, GM's choice. On a miss, they take exactly the wrong message from your words.

Team Moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, say whether it's part of the show or not. If it is, then you can shift your Labels as you choose. If it is not, then they shift your Labels, and you can clear a condition or mark potential.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them if they will tell anyone the truth about you. If they agree to keep it a secret, clear a condition or mark potential. If they don't agree, then they shift your Labels according to how they see you now.

Moment of Truth
Sometimes it can be hard to tell where the show stops and where you begin—but not today. Not now. Because right now, there is no show. Right now, you are the thing you pretend to be—bold and bright and beautiful and amazing and powerful and confident. Right now, you draw strength from your audience, comfort from their belief in you, and you can do anything they think you can. Of course, after such an impassioned performance, your audience is just going to have even more demands...

When our team first came together…

We, as a team, attracted media attention within the city, thanks to our efforts. Who are they? Why do they support us?

Relationships

__________________ might wind up being more of a star than me some day.

__________________ would be a great sidekick.

Influence
Choose how you see the team: as a means to an end, or as something worthwhile on its own.

If you see the team as a means to an end, give no one Influence.
If you see the team as something worthwhile, give three teammates Influence.

Audience

You are a celebrity in the city—although being a celebrity doesn’t always mean you’re liked. By default, your audience is a limited group of interested fans, and you speak to them through after action interviews and infrequent press conferences.

Why does your audience love you? Mark all that apply.
You’re just like them
You’re noble warrior for justice
You're stunning, unique, and beautiful
You're charming, well-spoken, and smart

Choose two advantages:
You have a reality TV show following you
You have a dedicated internet following

Choose two demands your audience makes on you:
They require chemistry with your allies.
They require major acts of heroism.

When you seek help from your audience
, roll+Superior. On a hit, someone in your audience can hook you up. On a 10+, they'll only make a small demand. On a 7-9, their demands are a lot higher. On a miss, you've made a mistake, and your audience won't help you until you've redeemed yourself in their eyes.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Oct 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Tricky posted:

Callie Spring, The Star

quote:

What, outside of heroics, have you thought about dedicating your life to?

I mean, for me I think that's obvious - I'd want to be a like, actress or something, but in like a kids TV show probably. Something like Lazy Town or Mister Roger's Neighborhood, where I could teach kids important lessons like how to stay healthy, or how to be happy and kind. Heroism is great because I get to help people while I teach lessons, but I think that everyone who goes out there and wants to teach kids things are heroes - so I'd still be a hero in my own mind, if that was what happened. Plus, couldn't you just imagine 'Callie's Calling', and all the cute outfits I could get to wear as part of having my own show?

I also think I would want to, eventually, get into like, politics or something, so I could make my voice heard, for things like, ya know, education and stuff. There's a lot of kids in Summitview who think they'll never escape it, because it's so expensive to leave, and their whole family is there, and all these reasons... and it's hard to reach to grab your dreams when there's really no opportunity out there. I mean, I'm not going to lie, I'm incredibly lucky, I have so much opportunity - I mean my family has never been rich, and all that, but... I have super powers. I have actual, literal superpowers. It's a lot easier to leave home when you know you've got something like that. But I want to make it so people can like, have those opportunities, to go to university, to explore the country, to find themselves, even just to support themselves somewhere they want to be.

I may have always dreamed about being a hero, but heroics themselves are just a means to the end of becoming a hero, you know?

quote:

How might moving to Halcyon City help you in accomplishing that dream?

It's obvious why, I think... I mean, I love Summitview and all, but... well, no one's going to change the world from a tiny town that most people forget exists. No one's going to make a television show and base it out of there, instead of out of a prominent city with already built studios. No one's going to care what even the mayor of a little town says about political matters. Everything I want to do needs something bigger than my town lets me have for now. It'll always be home for me, and I will always remember where I came from I hope.. but realistically, I want to be big, I want to make big changes, I want to be a shaker of society, and I want to make the whole nation - no, the whole world a better place. So moving to Halcyon City wont help me in accomplishing it - it's necessary.

quote:

Wow, Disney? That's really exciting! They did a similar show about some pre-teen hero group, right? What went wrong with that? Why do you think they want to try the reality angle again?

Ugh, look, the 'Baytime Boys' were a terrible attempt at all this, I wish people would please stop reminding me that this just sounds like that all over again. So, here's the deets - the Baytime Boys and all their wonderful friendship ways, going back to young kids playing on the beach? Yeah, that was all scripted - ABC, and Disney by proxy, put out a casting call for young tweens with powers, promising safe places to practice, fame, fortunes, and all those fun things, and then bam, picked the ones that sounded most interesting. Julian? He had never met Raj in his life - and neither of them knew anything about Lou, Lou wasn't even from anywhere near a beach, he was from Montana for crying out loud. So yeah, they picked all these cute nearly teenaged [okay, Julian was a teenager, but he was supposed to be the 'older one'] boys, with superpowers that were cool enough to be heroes...

And then just kinda, told them to be dramatic at base, and encouraged them to dislike each other, and had them out fighting real criminals and stuff? And then suddenly Justin blasts Raj in the face with his lightning blast on purpose and Raj... well, I'm sure we've all seen the pictures of it. We're lucky he's still alive, you know? Poor kid didn't even do anything to really deserve it. They still never proved that the director of that one is the one who stole Justin's prized medallion and made it look like it was Raj, so he's still free. I think that's part of why they want to try it again with me, and with my team - my team knows I like to be in the spotlight, maybe not exactly like this, but... we're established. I'm never going to have to risk a friend putting me through a wall on TV.

quote:

So you can emit pheromones? What's the weirdest trick you've done with that?

I mean, I can actually do a lot of neat tricks - because I can manipulate like, multiple kinds of them. See, one time I was trying to sneak into the evil lair of the Nefarious Dr. Scrap who lived in the abandoned car yard just outside Summitview (and wasn't really that nefarious, just misunderstood), and well, we knew she kept a ton of dogs as both a warning system and guards. Big guys, enhanced with scrap upgrades - metal teeth, claws that could rend steel, the works. Seemed a little too extreme for us, right? But then I got this great idea - I sent a wave of doggy pheromones at them, really sad ones. Those poor pooches didn't even wanna stand up as they got so sad they just laid there. I still feel kinda bad for bragging about making them so sad!

But either way, we snuck past the entire horde of dogs, because they were too sad to get up. I made sure to make them all very happy before I left though!

quote:

One of the kids you've been sitting has some powers of their own. Tell me a little bit about them. What really helped you connect with them?

Mary is a sweet little girl, who one day came to me with a problem. See, Mary had a secret, one she'd been keeping all her life, that she felt bad for hiding so long! She didn't know what to do - she'd lied to her Mom and Dad every day, since she could remember! But she wanted to tell me her secret, because she wanted me to help tell her parents. See, Mary is a little girl with a very big gift - her imaginary friends are very, very real, by which I mean that she can create one or two invisible constructs, able to lift things and everything. Just purely out of her mind. She'd been doing it for years, and now she wanted to be open about it, so she came to me, because I was a superhero and would be able to help!

So I gave her some advice from the heart - I asked her if she thought a hero should lie to their parents. And she said no, getting very sad about it and thinking I was mad. Then I asked her if a hero should feel afraid of consequences... and she said no, and got even more upset. Then I asked her - is a hero allowed to make mistakes? And when she began to shake her head, I held her there, and gave her a hug, and told her that everyone is allowed to make mistakes, and that anyone will forgive them. No matter if you're a hero, or a villain, or a normal person, or an astronaut dinosaur pirate, you'll make mistakes.

Then I held her hand while she told, and showed, her parents what she could do for the first time. They were too busy being amazed by her powers to even care that she'd lied at all - she'd been worrying about nothing.

• Locked thread