Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kid Blink
Feb 24, 2013

Of course, the whole point of
a Doomsday Machine is lost if
you KEEP IT A SECRET!
Definite Interest. App to be done after work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kid Blink
Feb 24, 2013

you KEEP IT A SECRET!

Come one, come all! Ladies and Gentlemen, tykes and kiddo’s alike, step right up and come see the freak show!

“Wow, really? You’ve already beaten me, now you’re going to humiliate me?”

Now, now, Pyrocrow, if you’re just going to be hanging around anyway, we may as well have some fun, right?

“UGHHHH, puns?!”

No need to get, hung up on it, eh? Hoho, haha!

“Dude, I don’t like you. Like, not even in that way we’re not supposed to like each other ‘cause we’re on different sides of the law, I just want you to know that I, personally, as a person, really, really don’t like you.”

There’s no need for such harsh words! Why, if you hadn’t been trying to rob the bank here, I would never have had to put a damper on your fun in the first place! Hahaha! *tosses another extinguisher pellet up into the air and catches it*

Oh, lighten up, birdbrain! It’s not that bad. Look, the donut munchers will be here in like five minutes! I’ll leave them a nice note to make sure to hose you down before they slap on your cuffs and you can sing in your brand new cage for as long as you like! Haha!

quote:

Hero NameJapes
The Protégé
Look: Man, Black, Athletic body, Loose clothes, Colorful costume
Abilities:
Shared Ability: Weapons and gadgets
Your Own Ability: telepathy/telekinesis (known only to Japes and Punchline)
My Mentor’s Ability: Impossible fighting skills

Labels
Danger -1
Freak +1
Savior +1
Superior +2
Mundane 0

Protege moves:

Been reading the files:
You’ve learned about the superhuman world through your mentor’s resources. When you first encounter an important superpowered phenomenon (your call), roll + Superior. On a hit, tell the team one important detail you’ve learned from your studies. The GM will tell you what, if anything, seems different from what you remember. On a 10+, ask the GM a follow-up question; they will answer it honestly. On a miss, the situation is well outside your base of knowledge; the GM will tell you why.

Venting frustration:
When you directly engage while you are Angry, you can roll + the Label your mentor denies and clear Angry.

Be mindful of your surroundings:
When you assess the situation before entering into a fight, you may ask one additional question, even on a miss.

Mentor

Punchline
Embodies: Mundane
Denies: Superior

Mentor Resources
Communicators, A chem lab, Security systems

MOMENT OF TRUTH
The moment that you show who you really are: your mentor, or something different. You can do whatever your mentor could do and more. You can do the incredible, even the things they always failed to accomplish. Of course, they’re not going to see you the same way, no matter which path you choose…

TEAM MOVES
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if you’ve been a good leader or effective teammate. If they say yes, your mentor loses Influence over you and you mark potential. If they say no, your mentor gains Influence over you, and you take +1 forward on using the Label your mentor embodies.
When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about your mentor (including your feelings towards them). Give them Influence over you and add 1 Team to the pool.

• How did you first meet your mentor?(Which hero inspired you to get into the business?)

Bweeew, you cut right to it huh? Not that I mind dishing out the slice, ha, it's just a bit more...somber than usual is all. Well, let's turn back the clock three years as we come upon the scene of two brothers, alone but not afraid in one of the less hospitable parts of our shining Halcyon city. These brothers have grown up without parents so to speak, but have always managed to take care of each other, and the older one has managed to finally get a place for the two of them away and out of the foster system. School is going well for the younger one, and everything seems to be going well when-*claps hands to face*GASP! Tragedy strikes! The older brother falls over, clutching his chest! Now he's stuck in the hospital with a rare congenital heart defect, and the younger brother is left out in the cold! Without his brothers good, constructive influence, this younger brother starts to do poorly in school, skipping class to gut fish and wash dishes. And now, the younger brother learns that the hospital bills are getting worse, and he's forced to start taking worse jobs to just get by! The horror of it! So the younger brother falls in with some toughs, thinking he can hide and ignore his conscience until his brother is better.
Woe be our young friend when not only a week later, he finds himself dragged out to the alley behind a night club by his new thug "friends". He had had the gall to warn some young unsuspecting girls that his new friends had some rather unsavory plans for them, having just learned about them himself. Now his friends want him to learn words like fist, and punch, and pain.
And it's at this time that our young man hears the worst joke of his life: "Wow! Thanks for takin care of him for me! There's no way I could stand up to someone it takes all three of you to put him down!" Our youth had never wanted to punch someone so much in his life.
A few whams, biffs, and pows later, the young man is face to mask with a giant grin and two wide eyes.
"Why so glum, chum? You're alive, right? So laugh!"
But this only makes the younger brother cry. He's killed his brother, he thinks, for some people he doesn't even know! When he explains this to the masked man, the masked man just laughs!
"The world's a funny place, Mac. When you get the joke, try to come see me again."
It's not for many hours later, when the young man finally trundles home that he learns the news on the answering machine. He finds out that, miraculously, the local saint hero, Lay Hands, had made a charity visit to his brother's hospital and cured his brother, free of charge. He manages to run to the hospital in time to find the heroine still operating, and with tears streaking down his face, thanks her with every ounce of his being. And he takes that happiness, and that gratitude, and thinks very hard of how he could pay back such a kindness. And maybe it was in that moment, when the youth thought about how he too might be able to save just one life, like Lay Hands had, that I decided to be a hero.

• When and why did you choose to train with them?

As poor timing as boss P might have had at the time, he was right. The world is a funny place. But when you're greener than goo and twice as soft, you really need someone to help prep your set. Punch up your scripts. So I spent the next several weeks figuring out where Punchline operated, and when he would be active, and after several tries, managed to catch his act.

• Why did they agree to train you?

I'm not quite sure, but maybe it was that when I stepped out into that alley, after I had finally caught up with him, before I could really think about the obvious tussle he had just been in, the dozen plus thugs lying groaning or unconscious on the ground, or the cuts and scrapes he obviously had, I blurted out "Well old man, I think you need some new material. It looks like you're putting them to sleep!" I've never seen a man with multiple stab wounds laugh so hard.

• Who else, outside of the team, knows about your training?

Oh, couple of people. There were a couple of us kicksters under some of the league old guard. I guess if anyone stands out, it would be Gasket. He was a mild pherrokenetic and strong hyrdokenetic under Weathervane. Couldn't do all the stormy stuff but he was the bane of every storm sewer in the city, hehe. Also you would be amazed the mileage you can get out of "don't blow a gasket", hahaha. He was a fun guy. Anyway, we'd see each other at the league get together a and swap stories. We even took down Flume together once. Ahhh, good times. He's still patrolling Halcyon with the old man storm last I heard, so I think he's fine.

• Why do you care about the team?

Well cause they're my team and they save my bacon all the time, durr. Ok, ok. The meat of it is that they keep me grounded and fun. I wasn't exactly pleased when ol' Punchy sent me out for some advanced solo work. I think his exact words were "you're getting stale, go work on some new material. Real talk though, I'm sending you to one of my old haunts. I think it'll do you good." Ugh. Like I didn't have a life back in Halcyon? So when I got here, I may have been a little, umm, big cowboy in little town. So when I got knocked on my butt for the first time, and had to have the team pull me out of that particular fire, well, it was a hot wake up call. It doesn't hurt they're all a barrel of laughing monkeys. I would hang out with them all the time if I could, haha.

quote:

1. Which hero inspired you to get into the business?
I already told you dodo!

quote:

2. What embarrassing incident happened during your first attempts at heroics?
Me? Embarrassed? Why I'd never! Haha, I kid of course, I've made a fool of myself plenty. *If you could see under his mask, you swear he would be waggling his eyebrows.* well, a month or two after I decided to open up for Punchline, I had gotten some of the routine down and decided I wanted to try a set. I heard about a shakedown of some business that was happening nearby my school, and after some snooping, manage to get the drop on the dopes. Right in the act too, it was almost...comical. Anyway, I put my new stuff to work and mange to have these guys on the floor in a couple of seconds. It's only then that I notice this bald one in a trench coat has been hanging out in the back, staring at me really hard. Not wanting to leave anyone out my big debut, I started at him when I felt something sort of...click in my head and ralphed. You know? Chucked? Spewed? Puked up all over the inside of my mask. Also got a nosebleed and fell over twitching, but it was puking up behind my mask that really threw a tomato at my pride. Thankfully PL had been keeping an eye on my outing and was there to scrape me off the pavement, but you better believe he still doesn't let me live that one down.

quote:

3. What has been your greatest success on the streets of Summitview?
Oh doggy! Ahahahaha, this was the best. Ok, so there I am going at it with this plainsclothes mook calling himself Richter. Really shaking things up. Guy is tearing up this diner for whatever reason and just losing his mind. I, in heroic fashion, step in to intervene and we start rocking. A few minutes into the fight, I manage to beat him away from traffic, and I kid you not, a school bus from Summitview Elementry speeds out of the way just as I give this guy a wedgie. One of those crazy atomic wedgies you see in the cartoons to, just waaaay over his head. The whole bus bursts out laughing as they pass by. You would think the guy might explode for how red he got, but no. Dude just slinks down and stops putting up a fight. Seems getting laughed at by every kid in town will do that. I stop too and we get to talking, and apparently the guy was a traveler turned villain due to his bike getting busted up coming up to town. He'd been frustrated that everywhere had turned him down for work and some spilled coffee had just sent him over. He was genuinely distressed about the whole thing and I maybe hadn't helped by showing up. Anyway, long story short, I help set up some temp work for him with a contact at town hall and get him off with a warning and the repair work under supervision. It was maybe the best result for any fight I've had, um, ever. Wow, yeah. I still see him ya know? He's working as a handyman around town through the city hall 'til he can fix his bike.

quote:

4. What aspect of Summitview would you miss most?
Err... I know I play the part of the aloof funny man, but I've actually gotten really invested in the Summitville First Response Clinic. Summitville isn't quite decked out with the best med equipment, since they're generally just dealing with enthusiastic hikers who maybe twisted an ankle, and all the big stuff goes to Halcyon proper. The place is really stitched together by elbow grease and community effort. So when I applied to volunteer there and told them I had first aid training already, they took me in pretty fast. I like it there so much they'd have to surgically remove me to get rid of me. Heh!

quote:

5. (optional) What are you doing in the show's intro credits montage?
Japes drops down from the top of the frame and slinks down like an accordion. As he bounces back to full posture, he pulls out several bright balls from his sleeves, one between each pair of fingers. He jumps back, throwing the pellets down and they burst into a cloud of smoke. He vanishes behind it, and it leaves the face of his smiling mask in smoke form before it dissipates.

quote:

6. (optional) A thread name for the IC thread.
Superhearts: Masks and mountaintops

Kid Blink fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Oct 9, 2016

Kid Blink
Feb 24, 2013

you KEEP IT A SECRET!

quote:

What, outside of heroics, have you thought about dedicating your life to?
You know my little bag of tricks? *he flourishes his hand, and is suddenly holding a small yellow orb with a smiley drawn on it.* I make all of these myself. Punchline was always very specific about the need to know how everything you used worked. *he flourishes again and the orb disappears.* So I’ve been drilled on a lot of chemistry and make most of my own gags. And maybe I’ve learned to appreciate the finer points of producing your own pom-poms? So I was thinking about it with my brother back in Halcyon, and he pointed out that even though I don’t necessarily like the idea of going for the physician position, maybe medical research is in my future? Pharmaceuticals maybe. Even if I’m not bopping bontzez, I still want to be helping folks. And since that wasn’t very funny, here’s something that is: I once knew a joke about amnesia, but I forgot it! Hee, ha!

quote:

How might moving to Halcyon City help you in accomplishing that dream?
Easy squeezy, Mac. I like my second home here in Summitville, but it sadly just does not have quite the same diversity of higher education options. If I want to practice, well, anything I’m going to have to mosey back down hill and really slug away at those books if I want to get anywhere.

quote:

I understand you have some... hidden talents. How have they helped you live up to the example Punchline sets for you?
Shhhh!!! Shush! HOW DO YOU KNOW? Wait right, sorry. shush. Ok well, as you might imagine, trying to keep an audience like punchline is admittedly a bigger bite than a greenhorn like me can chew, so I’ve been using it to keep up. Boss P has had years to get his timing down, but me, I need a little edge to make sure I have something when I need it. I use it for tricks like juggling. I’m still doing the work, I’ll have you know, but I maybe use those things to sort of, push things along. Keep my bit afloat .

Punchy always says that keeping your opponent distracted is the way to keep yourself on the winning side, and I’m sad to admit I don’t quite have his “charming” personality or “winning smile” down, haha! He also was very adamant about making sure your material stayed fresh, so that you can knock the crowd off their feet every time. So I make sure not to pull it out of my hat quite so much. I have to make do with a bit of improv in my set. A tug here, a moved object there, a clatter of something falling over just to keep their eyes off me for a bit. It keeps me at generally Punchline’s pace in a fight and out. And maaayyybee it helps a bit in getting these dang gags together. Err, don’t tell PL I’m using it on my chem set. He doesn’t like me doing that….

quote:

What's the one villain you seem to keep running in to? It seems like they have something going on just like Richter did. Why won't they open up to you?
Haaaaahhh *sighs* What do you call a sad cup of coffee? Depresso… Cause that’s all I feel when I think of every time I’ve had the PLEASURE of running into Cosmica.

Ahhhhh! This girl will be the end of me! *Throws hands up dramatically, does an orz* I know that I’m quite the performance, but this act can’t be tied down to any one member of my audience! Hoho! I I would say she had a crush on me, if only for the fact that I see her at least EVERY WEEK *flops head to side*, but she really seems to be trying her best to off me whenever we tussle! I haven’t been able to chart her particular star, mostly because, and I am quoting ver baetum here “I hate clowns you giant creep!” Every time I try to talk to my adoring fan she just freaks out and starts throwing those bright starbolts at me! Ahh! The tragedy of this fool! What’s a poor clown to do? *imagine exaggerated gestures at every part of this monologue*

And believe me, I’ve tried! I realized that she’s not really the bad sort, after the first couple of our two-parters. She never steals hard cash or intentionally hurts anyone. Any time she does, she freaks out and goes shooting off like a comet before I can get back to her. How does she even run so fast in heels? Heels! She mostly goes after food and supplies, and has broken into the camping outlet in town so much they decided to just put in a skylight for her! It’s rather sad on my part. I’ve been asking around to see if anyone recognizes her, but she’s as mysterious as dark matter! Completely unknown! I’m waiting to hear back from Punchline, whom I gave her description and power set to a couple of weeks ago, to see if she flew in from Halcyon, but he’s been busy. Hopefully I'll hear from him soon.

quote:

What's your brother doing these days?
Who? My bro? My brosky? Bromide? Brosideon? He’s doing good! Good… He’s doing...great. 'Is back living on the east side of Halcyon. He’s got his old job back after he got out of the hospital. Certified mechanic at Hotrod's Brake & Shop. It’s actually the shop of an old league vet who’s retired. The owner’s a really cool guy. Really cool. My brother’s doing well. No signs of any re-emergence of anything… Um, we keep in touch! I text him at least twice a week to check up! He says he met this girl, Dahlia, after some big league punch-up that was happening in his part of town.
Says that they’ve met a few times and things seem cool. I’m rooting for him. I know that I’ve got him on edge with the hero thing, but he understands. I think. He’s at least cool enough with it to help keep me out here. I just… I’m always worried about him. We’ve been watching out for each other for so long, it’s a bit hard to be so far from that. The assurance of it. I’m glad he’s doing well though. He’ll be the first person I see next time I’m in Halcyon. Whenever that is.

Kid Blink fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 11, 2016

• Locked thread