Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Apparently fandom won't stop arguing over what language they're speaking

In RL figure skating news, the Rostelecom Cup has ended (minus the exhibition) and Trophée de France is next weekend. Shoma Uno is the first to quality for the GPF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Coming next episode everything is gonna be significantly more international anyway so we can just reasonably assume everyone speaks English instead.

It's probably more likely that Yuri and his pal from Thailand both know English than each other's mother tongues at least.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

This was a debate? Viktor is clearly communicating with Yuuri in English. Good on them for spelling it out a bit more for folks, though.

Do people forget that Yuuri went to school in Detroit? He went to school with Phichit, too.

(this is not a reflection on the links you're sharing whatsoever cuz they're informative) but dang reading too many tumblr theories gets me down; I'm unabashedly in the SJW group but there's only so much "VIKTOR IS ABUSIVE!" I can take at once.

Okuyasu Nijimura fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 6, 2016

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

I'm surprised at the fact that people found it hard to reach the conclusion that they communicate in english when its the most likely spoken language for people traveling and competing all over the world.

The tumblr theories have gone from "Victor is abusive", to "Victor is hiding an injury", to "Victor is dying", even when the show already stated that Victor's concerns come from a lack of inspiration and him reaching the age when people start retiring. I guess part of the audience really like angst in their shows...

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I mean there's going to be some dramatic hook at some point - that is just how plotting works - but it was bizarre to me that it wasn't even "I wonder if," it was just flat out "viktor is 100% abusive, see what he's doing there? abusive" and oh gosh. :( Hey :(

I should be used to it by now since I'm pretty active in the jojo fandom there and if you like the "wrong" character it's a Real Rough Ride.

Okuyasu Nijimura fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 6, 2016

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

Blue Nation posted:

The tumblr theories have gone from "Victor is abusive", to "Victor is hiding an injury", to "Victor is dying", even when the show already stated that Victor's concerns come from a lack of inspiration and him reaching the age when people start retiring. I guess part of the audience really like angst in their shows...

See, i kinda hate that. I find it far more interesting that two top athletes in a world much smaller than it might seem end up working together to forge something really awesome. Imagine you are the worlds BEST in something, and you are hitting your twilight years in said accomplishment. Imagine that. Now imagine you see someone you kinda know but not really having taken inspiration from you and showing immense potential, and then you find out this guy has been inspired by you. I love the idea of this guy sweeping in from russia with the idea of helping someone in his same field become better at it. I like THAT Viktor.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

I mean there's going to be some dramatic hook at some point - that is just how plotting works - but it was bizarre to me that it wasn't even "I wonder if," it was just flat out "viktor is 100% abusive, see what he's doing there? abusive" and oh gosh. :( Hey :(

I should be used to it by now since I'm pretty active in the jojo fandom there and if you like the "wrong" character it's a Real Rough Ride.

People's personal experiences are different and I can understand how Victor's on screen disregard of personal space can feel dangerously off to some people. To me it seems clear that their intimacy is building off of stuff we don't see on camera, but I can see that other perspective.

Otherwise anime is pretty melodramatic...

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Fangz posted:

People's personal experiences are different and I can understand how Victor's on screen disregard of personal space can feel dangerously off to some people. To me it seems clear that their intimacy is building off of stuff we don't see on camera, but I can see that other perspective.

Otherwise anime is pretty melodramatic...

True and I can't help to feel like Yuri becoming really attached to Viktor over the span of a few months. Yes, I know it's his idol and all who came to Japan to help him win. Also I hope there's less focus on Will They or Won't They? and more on how Yuri's personal development and his feelings towards ice skating.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

there's only so much "VIKTOR IS ABUSIVE!" I can take at once.

Blue Nation posted:

I've been lucky enough to avoid seeing these. I have no idea how people can seriously argue for them.

How Victor, Yuri, and Yurio reflect the styles seen in mens skating (Seriously, watch Plushenko's routine; the footwork he does at 2:30 is amazing.)
Russian nicknames are bonkers

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
This show is extremely cute and fun and dramatic in a funny way. Didn't think this would be the anime I'd be watching this year but it's great so far.

Re: Viktor is abusive: Could potentially be an abusive dynamic for romance, the coach/student dynamic. Whether it is or not remains to be seen. As someone who is usually skeptical of romance blossoming from such a type of relationship, I think it's pretty adorable so far and I'm rooting for them.

Episode 5 was great, I loved Victor analyzing Yuri's performance and being sorta dumbfounded when Yuri pointed his way at the end of his Eros performance. The song for that routine was amazing, very much a "close your eyes and get lost in the bittersweet music" kind of tune. Can't wait for wednesday!

Lupus Rufus fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 7, 2016

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

The CD track list has been leaked

Notes: L'homme armé (more appropriately translated to "the armed man", not "the gunman") is a very old French song, but there are no skaters from France in the lineup. The piano concerto is almost certainly what we're hearing in the PV, since the snippet that we've heard seems to be in the right key.
So far we've also heard Eine kleine Nachtmusik and Mendelssohn's violin concerto. I will continue to laugh if they pull out similar pieces for the rest of the disposable skaters.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Gonna need a pretty gay episode today to help mitigate my bad feelings, folks

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
No big surprise, but it's been confirmed in a magazine interview that Victor and Yuri speak to each other in English!

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Not sure if I'm a big fan of Christophe after his comment at the end of his performance. That just felt kind of weird and off-putting.

The rest of the skaters were fantastic and I want to see more Pichit

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

each episode keeps getting better and better

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Gonna need a pretty gay episode today to help mitigate my bad feelings, folks

don't worry, they've got this.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Yuri's precious "I want to be known as the one who stole Victor from the world" while blushing made me really happy.

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013
It's like there is light in the world again. Thank you, Yaoi on Ice! :allears:

Slithy Toves
Oct 29, 2007
"Somehow it seems to fill my head with ideas--only I don't exactly know what they are!"
Every boy is best boy.

Except Swiss Chris.

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
Two men loving is less gay than this episode. Yuri's gonna initiate Homo Instrumentality during the Grand Prix Final at the rate his eros is increasing.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

this show has gotten so rough looking especially during the skating sequences it's hard to watch at times

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Xinder posted:

Yuri's precious "I want to be known as the one who stole Victor from the world" while blushing made me really happy.

I find it sort of hilarious that for all his talk about the power of love, his performance today was basically fueled by contrariness.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Rand Brittain posted:

I find it sort of hilarious that for all his talk about the power of love, his performance today was basically fueled by contrariness.

It was still love, just the selfish kind of love. "He's mine, back off!"

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I was underwhelmed with the music in this episode. Production suffered quite a bit with Phichit's routine, but that's probably to be expected given how many routines we're seeing. Chris makes me cringe.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Georgi was so great. The straight dude was the biggest diva out there.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Parallax posted:

this show has gotten so rough looking especially during the skating sequences it's hard to watch at times

i definitely was feeling the roughness more at the start, but with four of the six programs looking pretty good i definitely left the episode pleased. the fact that they are even showing all these routines (to some extent) in the first place is surprising to me. some of the cut-aways even seem like they could be replaced with more skating animation for the blurays (ahh...i'm probably overestimating them again).

outside of the iffy animation, this episode was amazing. having all those programs was a real treat, and the new guys range from inoffensively cute to ridiculously funny. it was great to see yuri so determined and have that rewarded with overwhelming success, and chris' program had me hooting/hollering irl at the unexpected hypersexual direction. georgi was also entertaining to watch, but drat his whole look was godawful.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Parallax posted:

The longer the show goes on the more I wish it was a movie project with immaculate skating animation sequences. I still like it though as it is

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

dogsicle posted:

georgi was also entertaining to watch, but drat his whole look was godawful.

That was the point though wasn't it?

I loved Mila's commentary on it.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

It's time for what people are saying online!

General skating stuff relevant to this episode
The plot to "The Prince and the Figure Skater"
Serious devotion to how figure skating is shown on TV Asahi
Yuri's Eros routine in each episode (video)

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Nov 10, 2016

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Gnossiennes posted:

That was the point though wasn't it?

I loved Mila's commentary on it.

with figure skating outfits, i never know

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

This whole thread was a real joy to read through, too.

https://twitter.com/S_Scribe/status/796505691657826304

And yes- the animation didn't look so great this episode, I concede that. I still get so wrapped up in everything that it doesn't bother me too much.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
I keep thinking, we are going to hit some sorta plateau of homoeroticism, and then the show tops that.

Good Lord :circlefap:

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong

Talkc posted:

I keep thinking, we are going to hit some sorta plateau of homoeroticism, and then the show tops that.

Good Lord :circlefap:
Yeah, my mouth dropped several times during this episode. I didn't care for the Swiss guy, but Jesus, he kicked the homoeroticism up a couple of notches.
I'm also surprised at the lack of gay panic from anyone on this show.
I liked almost all the side characters this episode and I'd be down for a second season following their antics if Yuri does in fact retire. And we haven't even met the Canadian guy yet.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
the lack of gay panic in this show has been an overwhelming treat every week.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

the show continues to be excellent. georgi and chri's performances in particular were amazing. i was sold on georgi the moment he said that viktor's departure made him the top skater in russia, he's just so intense :allears:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Chris may be a gross boy but i did enjoy that his number was a series of butt close-ups

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Lupus Rufus posted:

the lack of gay panic in this show has been an overwhelming treat every week.

Same, this show is extremely comforting.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
Georgi's entire performance made me go "Are the straights okay????"

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Lupus Rufus posted:

Georgi's entire performance made me go "Are the straights okay????"

It was one of the funniest things in the show so far. Yurio and his friend snarking while he bitterly stomped around the ice in his awful outfit had me in tears.

This show just feels so good and makes me happy.

americong
May 29, 2013

did mine eyes see individually animated buttcheeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Lot of good music this episode

Still Alive (Leo de la Iglesia)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbovQOhCL98

Shall We Skate? (Phichit Chulanont)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PYwj2QGQqA