Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
who does updates worse
crapple
google alphabet inc
micro$oft
View Results

• Locked thread
crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
-apple will nag you until you cave to sir jony ive's latest vision of artisan bespoke UX by hiding more of the UI behind frosted glass etextures

-google will abandon you after a year to the wildlands of xda forums, sideloading and flashing roms

-microsoft will force you to download gigabytes of updates and turn all their data telemetry mining back on resulting in your business shutting down for days.

somehow apple still seems the worst to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
apple is good actually

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
also lol if you have a googlephone

enjoy waiting to get updates when your carrier finally decides to give them to you shoved full of bloat

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
apple has the best update policy. lol at everything else

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

abraham linkedin posted:

enjoy waiting to get updates when your carrier finally decides to give them to you shoved full of bloat

i have a googphone that i bought outright so i dont really have that problem

also i dont think carrier bloat is much of a thing here

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

abraham linkedin posted:

youre confused here. the only google phones were previously of the nexus line, which get updates straight from mountain view, and now the pixel line, which is the same. if you're going to be posting in yospos you need to get your facts straight.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Millstone posted:

apple has the best update policy. lol at everything else

apple products come with bad software which renders them useless. throw that junk in a furnace and get on with your life.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

Smythe posted:

youre confused here. the only google phones were previously of the nexus line, which get updates straight from mountain view, and now the pixel line, which is the same. if you're going to be posting in yospos you need to get your facts straight.

sorry i meant lovely robot phone

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

abraham linkedin posted:

sorry i meant lovely robot phone

huh?

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
literally any android phone not made by teh goog is subject to updating whenever the gently caress your carrier wants it to update if i am not mistaken

this was my experience over three different android phones befor i got an i phone

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

abraham linkedin posted:

literally any android phone not made by teh goog is subject to updating whenever the gently caress your carrier wants it to update if i am not mistaken

this was my experience over three different android phones befor i got an i phone

oh word?

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
its real bad and a pretty good reason to get an iphone

the i stands for impeccable

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

abraham linkedin posted:

its real bad and a pretty good reason to get an iphone

the i stands for impeccable

i know that uve quoted me a lot in the past and supported me and i therefor support you but your posting on this page has left a lot to be desired.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
i will work on it

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

abraham linkedin posted:

it goes goog -> oem -> carrier so it depends how good/bad you have it at both those points

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Apple has been slowly locking down the OS for whatever reason and though some of it is okay (like making people use /opt instead of /usr) some of it is inexplicable (like getting rid of system bar API tools)

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
verizon and at&t both sucked poo poo at providing updates, i remember waiting months for an update after stagefright

full disclosure i am still on at&t for my iphone

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 397 days!
with the update before last, windows reinstalled microsoft edge and stuck it back onto my taskbar

with the most recent update (which was pushed to stop the app store redownloading the entire app whenever you just try to update), they added nag alerts

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Crumpet Strumpet posted:

with the update before last, windows reinstalled microsoft edge and stuck it back onto my taskbar

with the most recent update (which was pushed to stop the app store redownloading the entire app whenever you just try to update), they added nag alerts

for me it added the windows store + edge to the taskbar, made edge the default browser, and then nagged me when i switched the default browser back (PLEASE USE EDGE ITS REALLY GREAT!!!)

gently caress offfff

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 397 days!
windows stole focus while i was trying to work to tell me that Cortana can do reminders. it did the same thing the next day, then later that same day told me to take a survey rating how likely i was to recommend windows 10 to my friends.

the survey had a checkbox saying "you may contact me for more information." it was checked on by default.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Apple keeps forcing me to delete the 1.2 gigabyte iOS 10 update and making me carefully dismiss the late night installs.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I can sort of appreciate the hand wringing to get people to update, my dad never upgraded his iphone 4 from the stock OS version it came with
(but he never figured out how to do anything besides making phone calls on it so it wasn't much of a security risk)

The problem is that microsoft ships broken software, maybe they should stop doing that

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

rapeface posted:

it goes goog -> oem -> carrier so it depends how good/bad you have it at both those points

No it goes

Trash

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
chome has a good update system

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

WilWheaton posted:

Shut up wesley

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Millstone posted:

No it goes

Trash

step 0: htc hires a graphics artist to make excuses in the form of an infograph

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

WilWheaton posted:

iterate a major version number for minor bug fixes tho

med school head
Apr 17, 2012

emoji posted:

Apple keeps forcing me to delete the 1.2 gigabyte iOS 10 update and making me carefully dismiss the late night installs.

its good why are you not installing it idiot

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Comedy vote: Ubuntu LTSB

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Bill NYSE posted:

Ubuntu has definitely got a long history of terrible updates breaking everything, otherwise Microsoft. Google and Apple just stop updating and fairly uneventful.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bill NYSE posted:

reposting the nbsd rant:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

The problem with Ubuntu isn't a matter of taste. It's not that I don't like Unity, or I have bad feelings about Shuttleworth, or that the logo doesn't agree with me. It's much more fundamental: The Ubuntu model for development is broken.

Ubuntu periodically forks Debian's "Unstable" tree (Debian's rolling release). Canonical, inc. works from that snapshot for six months, and then publishes a Ubuntu release.

Inside that Ubuntu release, there is a core of Canonical-supported packages. Canonical accepts bug reports for these packages. These packages receive updates for the supported lifetime of the release. Ubuntu's "core" is supported much the way that Debian or CentOS is.

The problem is that this core is only a fraction of the packages on the system. Ubuntu 14.04, the latest "long term support" release, contains 44378 packages. Only 8751 of them are in the supported part. The rest of the packages go into a separate repository, "Universe."

The packages in Universe, the missing 35 thousand packages, are six months old on release day. They've gone six months without updates or security patches. By the end of the release cycle, they're five and a half years out of date.

--

Shadowhawk will doubtlessly point out that a legion of unpaid, untrained, unorganized volunteers can "maintain" packages in universe. But it's completely optional. Any given package might be untouched (bad), get backported security updates (good), be updated religiously from upstream (really bad), or replaced with something completely different from debian (really, really bad).

There's no release management process. There are no guarantees about what you find in Universe. It's totally up to the kindness of individual strangers.

Universe and Launchpad.net are sources of "works on my machine" issues and security holes. And that is all I have to say about that.

--

Of course, all this peril can be avoided if you don't enable the "Universe" repositories. If you restrict yourself to the core and update repos, you should have no problems. In that case, Ubuntu could be just fine.

Now let's try to use it.

I'd like to build a ruby application.
Whoops. There's no bundler. That was part of Universe.

Python?
Oops. No pypi and no virtualenv. Those are also stuck in Universe.

Java?
Sorry. Maven was also part of Universe.

Perl?
Nope, no mod_perl2.

PHP?
Actually, PHP works fine with only core. All the necessary bits are supported. I can say without any trace of sarcasm that Ubuntu is 100% totally suitable to hosting PHP applications.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
ms office on osx is probably the worst updater, every update requires updating the updater first then closing all your browsers and entering your password

chrome just works by comparison

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

abraham linkedin posted:

even nexuses are subject to carriers now according to google's official policy. i expect pixels to be no different.

http://www.androidauthority.com/google-nexus-update-policy-changed-waits-may-longer-depending-carrier-571594/

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Perplx posted:

ms office on osx is probably the worst updater, every update requires updating the updater first then closing all your browsers and entering your password

The microsoft mac business unit was most likely ordered to "make it suck more" to achieve feature parity with the windows version of office.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
does windows still do the thing where it shows you updates, you tell it to install them all, and after you reboot it shows you more updates?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Management posted:

does windows still do the thing where it shows you updates, you tell it to install them all, and after you reboot it shows you more updates?

no, now it just has one update but it doesn't tell you what's in it

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

med school head posted:

ios 10 is so bad it makes ios 7 look like ios 5

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

med school head posted:

Yea let me just install a non point one update that also everyone IRL is complaining about.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

even nexuses are subject to carriers now according to google's official policy. i expect pixels to be no different.

http://www.androidauthority.com/google-nexus-update-policy-changed-waits-may-longer-depending-carrier-571594/

Google is my carrier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Smythe posted:

Google is my carrier.

you are subject to google's whims

• Locked thread