Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Phssthpok posted:

The infrared sensor always has an "on" time greater than the initial time... It seems like this is an intended theme of the narrative.

I was waiting for the test cases 2-4 to switch that around and fully expected to have to botch in some kind of inversion logic for the other case.

Then... it didn't. 100% TESTS PASSING, SHIP IT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

nielsm posted:

I also solved that puzzle now based on that idea, was definitely easier than my original one. However I think I simplified the design in two ways: First, instead of signalling strict -1/0/1 for destination, I just subtract the current and destination node IDs to get a negative/zero/positive number I think that saves one or two instructions. Second, I avoid counting in the output module, by using a simple I/O pin from the input to signal whether there are more data, so I keep the line high while there are data and set it low at the end. I was a little surprised you actually can use simple I/O lines like that within a single I/O cycle.

Ah, I miswrote... I used subtraction as well... I meant <0/0/>0 really.

I did not realize you could use a simple IO as a signal within a single cycle.
Fascinating.

Regarding memory elements, I discovered something rather late that's caused me to redesign some things:
- you can read back the address register
- the address register is modulo 14 -- writing 16 is effectively the same as writing 2, etc

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Two Owls posted:

I was waiting for the test cases 2-4 to switch that around and fully expected to have to botch in some kind of inversion logic for the other case.

Then... it didn't. 100% TESTS PASSING, SHIP IT

It's extremely sad/amusing to see everyone expect the beatings that never come. I definitely do the same thing!

I get the impression there are many points in the game that used to be/could have been much, much more of a pain in the rear end, but he "let the people win"

IMHO these kinds of 'hardcore bleeding edge cases' would have made for some great "bonus goals". I would be crucifying myself on unfair puzzles to unlock more parts for the free-build mode

Much like real work, I am procrastinating as much as possible :eng99:

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

It's also quite possible that some of the puzzles will be tweaked before final release (that definitely happened in TIS-100 -- I'm still grumpy Zach retired the insane prime factor puzzle -- I was so proud of going from 600k cycles brute force to 6k cycles crazy-parallelized) and the validation data, etc might get tightened up disallowing certain shortcuts....

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Quinton posted:

Regarding memory elements, I discovered something rather late that's caused me to redesign some things:
- you can read back the address register
- the address register is modulo 14 -- writing 16 is effectively the same as writing 2, etc

I was just about to post the same.

I should probably try to optimize my Bitcoin ATM a bit with that, but more interested in solving the self-closing window for now. Planning to set the address pointers a fixed distance apart to use it as a ring buffer for a running sum.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

I just had to go double check the store page, could not even tell this was an early access game. I wish more people were like Zach

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

nielsm posted:

I was just about to post the same.

I should probably try to optimize my Bitcoin ATM a bit with that, but more interested in solving the self-closing window for now. Planning to set the address pointers a fixed distance apart to use it as a ring buffer for a running sum.

I did something like that for the Deep Sea Sensor Grid...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMIT5j1LPBM

New Zealand can eat me posted:

I just had to go double check the store page, could not even tell this was an early access game. I wish more people were like Zach
He's talked about this in a few places, but the approach they take to early access is more of a "get the ready-for-1.0 game in the hands of enthusiastic folks, tweak it a bit with feedback from a wider audience, then be in a much better position to get positive coverage a couple months later when they 'graduate' from early access" model. I too wish more people did this.

Quinton fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Oct 8, 2016

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I think I'm burning out on this game. The "part not sleeping" errors and undocumented instructions (what the hell is when????) are getting to me, the former in particular because I still don't understand how to program in a way that avoids it. This game needs a coding guide for dummies or something.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Pollyanna posted:

I think I'm burning out on this game. The "part not sleeping" errors and undocumented instructions (what the hell is when????) are getting to me, the former in particular because I still don't understand how to program in a way that avoids it. This game needs a coding guide for dummies or something.
Not sleeping is usually as simple as matching every xbus read to an xbus write. Which I guess isn't simple by the time you do anything interesting. That's where any sort of plan in plain text or flow chart comes in. You basically need a communication protocol for any xbus activity, either these controllers ping each other this often or these controllers only talk once in a while and can sync on slx, whatever lets you match every read to every write, every time.

Its a stricter but related phenomenon to desyncing different cores in TIS-100 and passing wrong values, except it will just hard lock because of the sleep requirement.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Another possiblility: it would work perfectly if you hadn't typed "slp x0" instead of "slx x0" yet again arrrrgh

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

It will happen if a part is blocking on XBus I/O on a bus where everything else connected is also either blocking or sleeping.
Keep in mind that every MC will need at least one sleep-instruction somewhere, otherwise the I/O clock can never proceed.

When you get the error, look at the current instruction the MC is executing, and check what ports it uses. Check the state of the components connected to those ports. You should find that those components wouldn't be able to fulfill whatever I/O the port wants to do. Sometimes it's because you need an SLX instruction, sometimes it requires more changes, and sometimes the entire design is unworkable.

Whenever you connect two components in one way or another, consider what they will be communicating, when, and what protocol they will use. E.g. will they communicate every I/O step or only once in a while. Is it one-way or two-way? Will you be sending commands, data, simple triggers, or maybe even more complex packets?

Example of a protocol I made for one puzzle: "This MC will 'slx x0', when there is data there will always be two values. The first value will be set on p0 and the second value on p1. After setting those pins it will send a signal on x1, then return to sleep until x0 receives data again." Basically an output component that let me control two simple pins with a single XBus.

Always think in protocols and components.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Hey, I actually did pretty well on the Aquaponics, for a change!
199 cycles. And 8 yuan.

Edit: also, I am not getting histograms, only friendslist numbers. Broken on Linux, maybe?

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 8, 2016

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

OddObserver posted:

Hey, I actually did pretty well on the Aquaponics, for a change!
199 cycles. And 8 yuan.

Edit: also, I am not getting histograms, only friendslist numbers. Broken on Linux, maybe?

I've played a bit on mac and windows, and they only seem to work on windows.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Is there a way to invert gen without going through a second chip?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Well, the trivial way would be to use two instructions. Like,

gen 0 x
gen y 0

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

^^^ My suggestion creates less instructions than that.

Shab posted:

@slp x
gen p# y x

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Shab posted:

Depending on what exactly you mean by invert, use an inverter on the output or @slp to time the pulse.

pumpinglemma posted:

Well, the trivial way would be to use two instructions. Like,

gen 0 x
gen y 0

Don't do this if you care about power usage, because gen always takes 4 cycles even if one of the arguments is 0, gen might as well be a macro for

mov 100 P
slp X
mov 0 P
slp Y

and a slp 0 is just a nop

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Duh, thanks guys.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Puzzles sound like work, so since its Saturday I did more not work. I downloaded a tuner on my phone and found some sheet music and got to making the obvious choice of a short ditty. Its almost entirely not not in tune because the overlaps of the tone generator with the musical scale aren't quite common enough. Or I might have just downloaded a bum tuner or my TVs flat or I don't remember enough about music.

My tonebank ROM is in a bit of a mess because this was an experiment firstly but if you are playing along at home, the addresses 3-4-5 correspond to A flat - B flat - C and the addresses 7-8-9-10 correspond to D - E flat - E - F.

The songbank ROMs are in the form of note length - tone address. The length is somewhat hacky. It clips every note with a 1 time unit silence to enunciate the notes so a 4:4 measure is 24 time units long. In the specific example it uses 1 for triplet eighth notes, 5 for quarter notes, and 17 for a dotted half note. So that would make an eighth note 2, a half 11, and a whole 23. The two songbank controllers per speaker are lazily hacked together to just wait and don't do any signalling out of pure laziness.

http://pastebin.com/Sy6Y9Luj

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

^ Did you do something to change the notes? When I used my tuner everything was way out of key

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

^ Did you do something to change the notes? When I used my tuner everything was way out of key
I think only one or two are on key, it was usually 1/8 to 1/4 tone off. But poo poo that's probably better than a middle school orchestra.

e. If you're really enterprising you could give compositing a shot. If you have a tone thats 1/8 flat and a tone thats 1/8 sharp, if you play them simultaneously it should sound sort of like the on key note in a car crash. Pianists use the same idea to get blue notes out of a tuned piano.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 8, 2016

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

I'm really only interested in making usable DMTF tones, IME everything was 8-10 hz too flat/sharp

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

I'm really only interested in making usable DMTF tones, IME everything was 8-10 hz too flat/sharp
Compositing still might be worth a shot since when summing together you would be making the tone of interest, although at a slightly shifted interval with a lot of noise around. Its a really easy change to a buzzer driver if you want to try.

If your tones are slightly sharp and your buzzer driver is like this:
code:
  slx x0
  mov x0 p1
You can add another speaker to p0 and change it to
code:
  slx x0
  mov x0 acc
  mov acc p1
  teq acc 0  
- add 2
  mov acc p0
Since the buzzer input seems to change every 2 on the scale, adding 2 will pitch shift the second speaker slightly higher and make a noisy version of the tone inbetween the two.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

I was trying to do that but the audio gets way too noisy to be useful when you're using more than 3 buzzers IME

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

nielsm posted:

It will happen if a part is blocking on XBus I/O on a bus where everything else connected is also either blocking or sleeping.
Keep in mind that every MC will need at least one sleep-instruction somewhere, otherwise the I/O clock can never proceed.

When you get the error, look at the current instruction the MC is executing, and check what ports it uses. Check the state of the components connected to those ports. You should find that those components wouldn't be able to fulfill whatever I/O the port wants to do. Sometimes it's because you need an SLX instruction, sometimes it requires more changes, and sometimes the entire design is unworkable.

Whenever you connect two components in one way or another, consider what they will be communicating, when, and what protocol they will use. E.g. will they communicate every I/O step or only once in a while. Is it one-way or two-way? Will you be sending commands, data, simple triggers, or maybe even more complex packets?

Example of a protocol I made for one puzzle: "This MC will 'slx x0', when there is data there will always be two values. The first value will be set on p0 and the second value on p1. After setting those pins it will send a signal on x1, then return to sleep until x0 receives data again." Basically an output component that let me control two simple pins with a single XBus.

Always think in protocols and components.

I guess my issue is that I can't think of components and their logic in isolation. Here's my incomplete solution for the wireless controller:

Each component does something clear and obvious. The buttons component checks the state of the inputs and pushes the resulting value to x0, then sleeps to be ready to push again. The stick component pushes the current states of x and y on two XBus outputs, and sleep to be ready to push again. The middle component waits for x, pushes x, waits for y, pushes y, waits for a+b, pushes a+b, and repeats.

Each component does its job correctly in theory, but when they start talking to each other poo poo falls apart. That's when I get frustrated. I'll think more about the protocols and components approach, I guess.

Also, you can completely ignore everything I said cause I found a stupid bug in my code and I hate my life. :shepicide: I am too incompetent to be anything but a Rails monkey. EDIT: Fixing that bug didn't solve everything now I hate it even more.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:getin:

https://twitter.com/zachtronics/status/784891334553284608

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Has anyone found a use for the mystery component? (The one with the spec-sheet in Chinese)

I've more or less worked out what it does in the sandbox, but haven't found anywhere to use it. Can anyone suggest a puzzle where they used it?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I loved Spacechem, and Infinifactory to a lesser extent. Then he's got TIS-100 and this game. Maybe my grasp on time is bad but it seems like he can just pump games out like its nothing.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think he was working for Valve for a while and then was not so the joke was that he really likes releasing games which was completely incompatible with Valve.

Shenzhen is kind of the production mode to TIS 100 to analogize it to Spacechem. Different game with a lot of the same DNA. Still impressive because he's basically taking swathes of college math and computer science and turning them into games.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Pollyanna posted:

I guess my issue is that I can't think of components and their logic in isolation. Here's my incomplete solution for the wireless controller:

Each component does something clear and obvious. The buttons component checks the state of the inputs and pushes the resulting value to x0, then sleeps to be ready to push again. The stick component pushes the current states of x and y on two XBus outputs, and sleep to be ready to push again. The middle component waits for x, pushes x, waits for y, pushes y, waits for a+b, pushes a+b, and repeats.

Each component does its job correctly in theory, but when they start talking to each other poo poo falls apart. That's when I get frustrated. I'll think more about the protocols and components approach, I guess.

Also, you can completely ignore everything I said cause I found a stupid bug in my code and I hate my life. :shepicide: I am too incompetent to be anything but a Rails monkey. EDIT: Fixing that bug didn't solve everything now I hate it even more.

You're thinking about xbus backwards. Your x/y bottom left unit, for example, is producing 2 xbus packets every time unit. Someone would have to consume that data whether they want it or not. In other words, you are pushing data up from x & y spontaneously, all the time. That's ok for simple inputs, but for xbus you want to be doing that just once as necessary.

Think of the logic flow as a V. When your upper layers receive a command, they then tell the lower layers to fulfill the command. Only when the lower layers receive a command do they activate, then respond back once. The key to this is usually the slx instruction. Here is an unoptimized but straightforward solution to show what I'm talking about :

One unit's job is to check the radio. It has a convention that it will send something to wake up the other units, then get two responses from x/y and one from a/b.

You'll get there!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Pollyanna posted:

Don't use slx.

I'm serious. You can do all the early puzzles with lockstep implementations. If you're not really understanding how the xbus works, stick to solving everything lockstep until you do understand it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

To expand on what Fuzzy Mammal said, I think you should look at the specifications for this puzzle again, because there's one crucial misunderstanding here that's throwing you off and you could make this solution work with a slight modification. If you want a hint: you only need to send the packet when you receive a request for it, right now you're sending it every tick.

If you added a slp to the middle CPU you could take out all the slxes and it would work exactly the same as it does now (and actually use less power). Remember, its perfectly okay to block on xbus for a bit, so long as you don't deadlock and try to carry that block into the next time unit. The #1 and kind of only rule in this game is that everything must be put to sleep before the time unit can end.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Thinking about that puzzle gave me an idea for a new solution, and it makes me sad that its not more efficient than it is because it looks loving stupid. 286 power though (or 271 257 with an optimization) RIP

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 9, 2016

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I'm pretty bad at these kinds of games usually, but I loving love playing them and I can't pull myself away.

The I Ching took me loving hours, I wiped out everything and restarted about 4 times, but I got it.

I don't care how efficient or cheap it is right now, it works.

I'm going to go lie down and veg out now, my brain is dead.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Was getting really mad that my poo poo wasn't working, came to the heart-sinking realization that I had been typing 'tgt p0 40' when I actually meant 'tgt p0 39'

:negative: :eng99:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
469 on the cryptocurrency deposit terminal. One instruction short of a pretty big final optimization. This game is so good you just want to keep revisiting old problems and revising them over and over.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'm toying around with the game prototyping/free play mode, it's a bit annoying you seemingly can't set an initial value on the N4DL-1000 static XBus input.

But I found a way to abuse the memory chips as modulo division to limit the range of a random generator:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
piece of poo poo version of this thread for less pretension http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3793577

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Made a game of that range-limited random generator, hit the button when it buzzes, but don't hit it when it does not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008
Holy gently caress Device 2A27. I've dropped 24 yuan and 11.6k power on it and I still can't loving :suicide:

• Locked thread