Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

I feel a little bad for Yayaka and I hope she finds happiness.

Yayaka is very good, and in the unlikely event that this ever gets any sort of followup I hope it focuses on her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Pollyanna posted:

I feel a little bad for Yayaka and I hope she finds happiness.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yayaka is very good, and in the unlikely event that this ever gets any sort of followup I hope it focuses on her.

One thing you probably noticed to some degree is that the tone of the show shifted dramatically, about halfway through, when the screenwriter jumped ship. Yayaka's redemption occurred relatively late in the show, as well.

I'm a little bit conflicted about this. On the one hand, the show we got is the show we got, and there's no source material against which to compare it. On the other... was Yayaka really a redeemable character from the start? Up until episode 7 or whatever, Yayaka seemed like the personification of the societal norms that Kokona was doing her best with which to conform. After that, she became a jealous little girl with a crush on Kokona who was also involved in {anime plot bullshit}"

So... which is the true Yayaka? Which is the good Yayaka?

She's probably the most interesting character to compare across both versions of the show.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the back half of the show is not something that came totally out of nowhere, the screenwriter did not "jump ship" without talking about things with any of the remaining staff. things might have been presented a bit differently if she had been able to stay on the show, but the back half of the show was largely planned in advance, and the screenwriter even gave the director some tips on screenwriting the papika world episode since it was dealing with subject matter he's not used to writing.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
also, yayaka is not a personification of societal norms. she is a girl who is gay jealous for cocona, who is dealing with similar stuff, and that is literally all she ever was. the tone and subtlety in the show's presentation might have changed, but yayaka's character was always that

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 21, 2017

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

you've been watching the wrong sorts of magical girl shows, friend

please don't be mean to symphogeah

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, there's an interview we linked/talked about at some point in this thread where Oshiyama mentions that he and Ayana (the series composer for the first half of the show) came up with the overall concept and broad strokes of the story before the show went into production, so it's highly unlikely that Yayaka was ever intended to be anything dramatically different from what we got. Yayaka started off as an agency of conformity (among other things), sure, but her arc was always about her realizing that she was never as happy with that role as she had convinced herself that she was.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 21, 2017

sandball
Jan 6, 2006
Yeah Yayaka was always pretty into Cocona (from the start), albeit it took a little thinking on the show while it was running to realize this.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

you've been watching the wrong sorts of magical girl shows, friend

madoka and flip flappers are precisely the magical girl shows he should be watching

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Not if you want a fair idea of what most magical girl shows are like! Most are cute and innocent and actually intended for little girls!

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
someone posted the flip flappers ost to youtubes

part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xt0vvyMhMs

part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSi1Y4VzPac

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

aaaaaaaaaa finally, I've been wanting to hear the slow instrumental versions of the OP and ED.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
It's too cute, someone get the insulin.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kytrarewn posted:

One thing you probably noticed to some degree is that the tone of the show shifted dramatically, about halfway through, when the screenwriter jumped ship. Yayaka's redemption occurred relatively late in the show, as well.

I'm a little bit conflicted about this. On the one hand, the show we got is the show we got, and there's no source material against which to compare it. On the other... was Yayaka really a redeemable character from the start? Up until episode 7 or whatever, Yayaka seemed like the personification of the societal norms that Kokona was doing her best with which to conform. After that, she became a jealous little girl with a crush on Kokona who was also involved in {anime plot bullshit}"

So... which is the true Yayaka? Which is the good Yayaka?

She's probably the most interesting character to compare across both versions of the show.

you are literally making stuff up and have no idea what you're talking about, please stop regurgitating stuff some idiot said on 4chan without actually doing research

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Big gallery of broadcast vs bluray comparisons

https://imgur.com/a/1CTmK

Nothing super dramatic from what i've seen so far, but it sure reminds me i want to own the series myself!

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
It's pretty cool to see that they got it pretty much right the first time around, with a fee exceptions. Maybe it's time to Flip flapping again.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Granted, it's been a while since I watched the show, but

Kytrarewn posted:

Yayaka seemed like the personification of the societal norms that Kokona was doing her best with which to conform.

This tweeny punk? The personification of societal norms?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I think that's actually part of the point of her character. Yayaka's entire deal is not being honest with herself.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

quote:

(TV broadcast is regulated in Japan to avoid inducing epileptic seizures by compressing brightness dynamic range, I think.)

Not sure if a joke or real in response to a Simpsons episode...

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's real, original tv broadcast versions of shows do it all the time. you can even see it in the mha s2 opening

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

I think that's actually part of the point of her character. Yayaka's entire deal is not being honest with herself.

Yeah, my read is kind of along these lines. We're obviously not meant to read the boistrous, mouthy girl with dyed red streaks in her hair as some kind of prim and proper flower child, but I did get the impression that she's someone who ultimately sees the status quo as somewhat reassuring and less frightening than trying to take risks and live the way she really wants to. That's why she goes along with Asclepius' World Control plans and in particular why she's afraid to come clean with Cocona.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 10, 2017

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Ranzear posted:

Not sure if a joke or real in response to a Simpsons episode...

Blame porygon

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Speaking of Yayaka:

https://twitter.com/DDDDD_DIE/status/873653798060802048

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
they're dubbin flip flappers which surprises me cos it fuckin bombed in japan. maybe it will do better in the west, just going by view count on FLIP FLAP FLIP FLAP

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i hope so please support flip flap

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Where is my Flip Flappin' pre order Sentai?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i hope the dub is not embarrassing.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i hope the dub is not embarrassing.

I hope the dub goes out of its way to establish that all characters in the show are straight as an arrow.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i hope yayaka screams "gently caress YOU" every ten seconds

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

The Colonel posted:

same

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Colonel posted:

Except when speaking to Cocona, at which point she will do the same thing but preface it with "I want to".

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yayaka: gently caress YOU rear end in a top hat
cocona: m-me?!
yayaka: Y-YEAH, SCREW YOU, DUMMY

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
I don't normally listen to dubs, but I'm curious as to how the English voice actress will handle all the "Cocona!"s that Papika shouts repeatedly.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I just hope that, at the very least, it's not anywhere near as embarrassing as the Maidragon dubs were.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Command Ant posted:

I just hope that, at the very least, it's not anywhere near as embarrassing as the Maidragon dubs were.
dr. salt: google ron paul

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
At least Flip Flappers told the story it wanted to tell. It's not like we lost anything from the product because it bombed.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

The Colonel posted:

also, yayaka is not a personification of societal norms. she is a girl who is gay jealous for cocona, who is dealing with similar stuff, and that is literally all she ever was. the tone and subtlety in the show's presentation might have changed, but yayaka's character was always that

I thought the shows biggest plot twist was that she was actually a hetero furry all along?

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

At least Flip Flappers told the story it wanted to tell. It's not like we lost anything from the product because it bombed.

i mean it dis-incentivizes risking money on an ambitious anime original story. hopefully get more shows from its director in the future tho

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Homura and Sickle posted:

i mean it dis-incentivizes risking money on an ambitious anime original story. hopefully get more shows from its director in the future tho

Well, yeah, but could've been a lot worse, is all I'm saying.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://twitter.com/routiao/status/911943407915778048

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

gently caress
https://twitter.com/SentaiFilmworks/status/921095508025925633
Yes

• Locked thread