Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

What am I failing to see here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012

Erg posted:

oh my god they became dust bunnies

The moment I realised they were dust bunnies inside a vacuum cleaner was a real :monocle: moment and sold me 100% on this show.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
This show is a visual treat so far. In particular, Papika's expressions are wonderful.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Someone on twitter pointed out the word Thomasson being used, which seems to be a major theme of the show:

https://twitter.com/vestenet/status/786824285323010049

http://99percentinvisible.org/episode/thomassons/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperart_Thomasson#The_Pure_type

Thomassons being vestigial elements left over as cities reinvent themselves. This imagery seems to appear a lot in the show - for example, the useless glasses Cocona wears and the concrete pipe in the first episode.

It's probably my pseudo-OCD talking, but it feels easy to connect this to Dennou Coil, which the director worked on previously. That show was also concerned with the idea of obselete, forgotten spaces underlying ordinary reality, and obselete entities in terms of the Illegals.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Dennou Coil with yuri... oh wait.

Also, I feel like Cocona's glasses could be a memento from her parents?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Space Flower posted:

Dennou Coil with yuri... oh wait.

Also, I feel like Cocona's glasses could be a memento from her parents?

Well, I think it's important to note that it's something she wears. It's not just a keepsake she carries with her, but something that specifically does nothing.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Fangz posted:

Well, I think it's important to note that it's something she wears. It's not just a keepsake she carries with her, but something that specifically does nothing.

I saw the episodes. Wasn't saying your thoughts were mutually exclusive from mine.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Was it said that the glasses don't do anything? I don't think anyone whips glasses out in the middle of the night to look at something if they don't need them. Maybe she's just embarrassed to wear them in class. I think Papika appeared to her as an indistinct blob with a big smile because she spends most of her time inches away from Cocona's face.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

lets hang out posted:

Was it said that the glasses don't do anything? I don't think anyone whips glasses out in the middle of the night to look at something if they don't need them. Maybe she's just embarrassed to wear them in class. I think Papika appeared to her as an indistinct blob with a big smile because she spends most of her time inches away from Cocona's face.

Nah, she specifically said she didn't need them to try and stop Papika from chasing after the big walrus things in the first episode. She didn't recognize immediately recognize Papika in episode 2's Pure Illusion because she'd been turned into a rabbit and had become more reliant on smell than on sight.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I thought she said that just to dissuade Papika from risking her life for them. I'd say the same thing.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

lets hang out posted:

I thought she said that just to dissuade Papika from risking her life for them. I'd say the same thing.

She doesn't wear them in the OP to read at night, e.g. http://randomc.net/image/Flip%20Flappers/Flip%20Flappers%20-%20OP%20-%20Large%2002.jpg

But I think generally if you have a character making a statement like that, you kinda need to make it drat clear it's a lie immediately if you didn't intend it to be taken as the truth.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
To continue the endless stream of references, here's an old children's book called Adventure in a Closet

Exact same closet and spooky eyes and handholding

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Rewatching Episode 2 - I didn't catch this on the first go around, but when Cocona is trying to get away from Papika bugging her at school, there's a bit where blondie (Yayaka) pulls her into the nurse's office to hide. Papika then runs up to the door, then backs away suddenly, clutching her mouth and nose as though she smelled something foul. Between that and taking a closer look at the OP, I think Yayaka might be destined to be our villain - or rival, at least. Which might also mean I wasn't inventing those jealousy vibes I was getting off of her demeanor towards Papika.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

Rewatching Episode 2 - I didn't catch this on the first go around, but when Cocona is trying to get away from Papika bugging her at school, there's a bit where blondie (Yayaka) pulls her into the nurse's office to hide. Papika then runs up to the door, then backs away suddenly, clutching her mouth and nose as though she smelled something foul. Between that and taking a closer look at the OP, I think Yayaka might be destined to be our villain - or rival, at least. Which might also mean I wasn't inventing those jealousy vibes I was getting off of her demeanor towards Papika.

I took it as she can't stand the smell of all the manufactured drugs in there

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Erg posted:

...Hm. That would also make sense. We'll see.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
There ain't just one optical illusion in this show, and they tend towards the sinister:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

There ain't just one optical illusion in this show, and they tend towards the sinister:

That's pretty neat.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/Don_Don_Kun/status/787359829472018433

I had kind of picked up on this, but this articulates it much more cleanly than I felt able to. Will be interested to see if/how the show continues with this theme.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Spiritus Nox posted:

https://twitter.com/Don_Don_Kun/status/787359829472018433

I had kind of picked up on this, but this articulates it much more cleanly than I felt able to. Will be interested to see if/how the show continues with this theme.

she really wanted to put her mouth on that really hard thing

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Fangz posted:

Someone on twitter pointed out the word Thomasson being used, which seems to be a major theme of the show:

https://twitter.com/vestenet/status/786824285323010049

http://99percentinvisible.org/episode/thomassons/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperart_Thomasson#The_Pure_type

Thomassons being vestigial elements left over as cities reinvent themselves. This imagery seems to appear a lot in the show - for example, the useless glasses Cocona wears and the concrete pipe in the first episode.

It's probably my pseudo-OCD talking, but it feels easy to connect this to Dennou Coil, which the director worked on previously. That show was also concerned with the idea of obselete, forgotten spaces underlying ordinary reality, and obselete entities in terms of the Illegals.

It's funny, up until that 99pi episode, i thought that Thomasson was something that Wm Gibson made up for one of his books. :doh:

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Erg posted:

That's how I took it, too, but I wouldn't be surprised if Yayaka was the villain in the sense of being the one trying to force Cocona into societally-approved behaviors rather than obeying the desires of her body like Papika, which seems to be a major subplot (The whole: "My teeth are itching, my body demands that I chew on this thing to wear them down, but it's not appropriate behavior" thing).

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
This is all well and good and I love this show but

when do the girls kiss please

e: the bite doesn't count until Cocona bites Papika back. Mutual bitey-bites only.

Xinder fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 16, 2016

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://twitter.com/rod4817a/status/787673489868075008

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

you're not helping

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Xinder posted:

e: the bite doesn't count until Cocona bites Papika back. Mutual bitey-bites only.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol Yeah I spotted that too, then forgot about it

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
I like Papika's muppethead.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
papika is very cute and her giant mouth adds to that.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

you're not helping

I think it's very helpful

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Previews up http://www.flipflappers.com/sp/story/story.html

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Papika was kinda obnoxious in ep2 but I also generally don't like characters who spend half of an episodes dialogue on nothing but yelling a name when the other character wants some space. I am glad that seems to have been handled with this episode though, since drat is this show a visual treat and I don't want one of the two main characters being kind of annoying in a specific way to turn me off from it.

Pretty curious what all the other characters will get up to in this.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
lotta interesting reveal moments this week. It really was in her thigh!

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

This is now the show I most look forward to every week. Give me more Magical Shopping Arcade Pretty Cure.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

New Episode New Thoughts:

-It's pretty on the nose, thematically, but I do like that Cocona and Papika take on each other's colors when they Henshin.

-Interesting that Papika's the shield and Cocona's the sword.

-Noteworthy that this was the first Pure Illusion to contain intelligent creatures.

-I really like these action sequences. They look fantastic and they're well scripted.

-Called Yayaka being a rival, but didn't call that she and they weird kids and the robot men from episode 1's stinger would be from another organization. Makes me lean harder towards Flip Flap actually not being overtly malicious.

-Sooooo Papika might not be human.

-Where and when did Cocona get her fragment? Did she create it? Or was it given to her?

-If you think that episode 2 was alluding to some sexual frustration or uncertainty (or using such as an allegory for broader existential frustration) on Cocona's part, then this episode sure didn't do anything to dissuade you.

-Only half-watched the preview because I was on my way back from lunch, but looks like a tropical episode coming up? Will have to take another look.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Things happened and it was pretty.

Beyond that, :psyduck:

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Grandma is more normal this episode!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Liver Disaster posted:

Grandma is more normal this episode!

Yeah. Still talks funny though. "Coh-coh-nah"

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
This ep was great too! Love the Mad Max, love the magical girl transformations, love the designs of the weird dark villain lady thing and of Yayaka transformed, love the random child desert monster with its parent, love the weird cult antagonists AAAAAAAAA I love this show! And it all looks so good and moves so prettily!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm fascinated by this show - it's beautiful and I love how weird it is....but a few things give me pause. The Kill la Kill esque transformations, the repeated sexual elements when we're dealing with children.... :sigh:

Anime, why you gotta be so weird.

• Locked thread