Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

OscarDiggs posted:

Jeez. I've just started watching Fear The Walking Dead after burning out on the actual Walking Dead and I am already sick of "Travis Manawa: The Most Wrong".
You mean the guy that leaves all of his neighbors to die in the first season for no reason? Like he didn't even bother to lock the gate and then makes some offhand comment about how they were terrible which we never see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I like that they would randomly bring up his *MAORI PRIDE* and then never do anything with it

I guess he gets angry a couple times though

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!

FlamingLiberal posted:

You mean the guy that leaves all of his neighbors to die in the first season for no reason? Like he didn't even bother to lock the gate and then makes some offhand comment about how they were terrible which we never see.

I'm not actually that far into it, but honestly that sounds so in-keeping with what I've seen so far.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

OscarDiggs posted:

I'm not actually that far into it, but honestly that sounds so in-keeping with what I've seen so far.
FTWD gets better when you accept that the protagonists are villains and just roll with it.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

With regards to the latest FTWD episode, am I correct in thinking that it was indicated that El Salvidad either orchestrated or gave the green light to Strand blowing up the water truck by whistling that water queen song? And that he has had enough of Lola's pre-world values poo poo?

I think that because it seemed really obvious but with these writers I'm not always sure what they're getting at.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

OscarDiggs posted:

Pay attention in the Season 1 finale when they drive out of the neighborhood

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
The one thing that stays constant in FTWD is El Salvidad and Strand being the best characters

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I just wish that song had been about the blonde queen and not the water queen.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!

moist turtleneck posted:

The one thing that stays constant in FTWD is El Salvidad and Strand being the best characters

God yes! Strand is just fantastic in every scene with him in.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
How did the native guy know about the trading post in "mexi-cali"? aren't they in like wyoming or something?

this show got bad again

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I think they're on the border too but also I think the Indians are working off of Avatar rules

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I just want to say how much that beeping keyring trick worked made me realize three things:
1) Strand is smarter than every character on TWD and pretty much found an OP way to distract zombies
2) The beeping pipe bomb from Left 4 Dead would ACTUALLY WORK in TWD
3) This will never, ever be referenced again

The Walrus posted:

How did the native guy know about the trading post in "mexi-cali"? aren't they in like wyoming or something?

this show got bad again

As far as I can tell they're somewhere in loving California still or something. They're able to drive all the way to Mexico in like a day on wasteland roads. Either that or maybe they've acquired the travel teleportation speeds from last season of Game of Thrones.

moist turtleneck posted:

Madison is growing on me, not because I think she's a smart character but because she's a loving psyhopath that should be destined for a moment where her "I did it all for family" line admits she did it for her, Walter White style. Not to say we're anywhere near that quality level, but if the writers don't realize she's the bad guy by now there's problems.

That said Strand is loving awesome and I really would watch the show if it was just him and El Salvidad going around. There's a few actors on this show I want to see have a solid career after this.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 19, 2017

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Blazing Ownager posted:

I just want to say how much that beeping keyring trick worked made me realize three things:
1) Strand is smarter than every character on TWD and pretty much found an OP way to distract zombies
2) The beeping pipe bomb from Left 4 Dead would ACTUALLY WORK in TWD
3) This will never, ever be referenced again

Enid used a kitchen egg timer to distract zombies once, and it never came up again even during that time they tried to divert a horde of zombies away from Alexandria, that really coulda helped then.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

moist turtleneck posted:

This is the correct attitude to enjoy this show. :colbert:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DarklyDreaming posted:

Enid used a kitchen egg timer to distract zombies once, and it never came up again even during that time they tried to divert a horde of zombies away from Alexandria, that really coulda helped then.

We need a scene of a say Nick slicing up a zombie and covering himself in zombie guts to get through a hallway, then Strand gives him a "What the gently caress are you doing?" look and just tosses another beeping thing down the hall and walks out.

Astroman posted:

This is the correct attitude to enjoy this show. :colbert:

You know one thing kind of funny about Strand is that he's the rare gay character that's written well enough in that department (kind of amazing given the other writing cluster fucks of past seasons) where nobody thinks of him as a well written gay character, just a great character, which is a good thing and also kind of unfortunate since I wish other writers would take note.

Aaron is fine over on TWD, but it almost seemed to be his defining character trait, where with Strand it's *A* character trait. It's not ignored or glossed over nor held on a pedestal where you can feel some AMC executive winking and ribbing you in the side with a look of satisfaction at how diverse they're being. It's just how it is, and everyone is OK with that. The fact he's also one of the most badass characters on the show with a Han Solo'ish streak works well with this.

Just kind of something interesting I hadn't really thought of before.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 19, 2017

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

It's not ignored or glossed over nor held on a pedestal where you can feel some AMC executive winking and ribbing you in the side with a look of satisfaction at how diverse they're being. It's just how it is, and everyone is OK with that.

Well, they've been doing exactly the same thing with Daryl for about seven years now :v:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Also no matter how epic his live for Thomas Abigail was, Strand is most in love with himself, and that's one of his most defining character traits.

Which is something that can truly transcend both the gay and straight world.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

This episode seemed like a goofy heist episode more than anything, particularly the parts of crawling through the poo poo pipe/passing the severed limbs to each other, Daniel giving Strand that 'I mean, *I* won't say anything if you don't cause too much trouble' line, and finally the conversation in the truck ending with Madison shouting 'Thirsty?!' at Walker when they found him on the road.

I legit expected them all to freeze-frame mid laugh Starsky and Hutch style right before the credits rolled.

Strand better not ever die, because I mean, who else can have that much finesse convincing everyone to go bumble around in a pitch-black sewer?! Plus I love his joking/sorta flirting(?) with Walker, whose only reaction seems to be 'annoyed'.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cactus posted:

Well, they've been doing exactly the same thing with Daryl for about seven years now :v:

At this point Daryl is coming off as this asexual loner that hasn't had a single relationship since the apocalypse or probably before that. The closest thing to a hint of a relationship ever was him and Carol but at this point I'm not convinced that wasn't like a family-member thing and not a romantic-thing. I don't think he's ever even voiced a single thing on the subject in 7 seasons.

LadyPictureShow posted:

This episode seemed like a goofy heist episode more than anything, particularly the parts of crawling through the poo poo pipe/passing the severed limbs to each other, Daniel giving Strand that 'I mean, *I* won't say anything if you don't cause too much trouble' line, and finally the conversation in the truck ending with Madison shouting 'Thirsty?!' at Walker when they found him on the road.

I legit expected them all to freeze-frame mid laugh Starsky and Hutch style right before the credits rolled.

Strand better not ever die, because I mean, who else can have that much finesse convincing everyone to go bumble around in a pitch-black sewer?! Plus I love his joking/sorta flirting(?) with Walker, whose only reaction seems to be 'annoyed'.

After Walker said all that poo poo to Daniel and Strand, I honestly honestly thought the episode was going to end with the three of them ganking him in the desert, letting walkers chew on him and return to base with an "Awww sorry, he didn't make it. But I got all the water and saved everyone so I guess that makes me Madam President now, right?"

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Sep 19, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OscarDiggs posted:

Jeez. I've just started watching Fear The Walking Dead after burning out on the actual Walking Dead and I am already sick of "Travis Manawa: The Most Wrong".

Season 1: Hilariously terrible, skips over the whole pitch of the show, shows 1 zombie in LA and the characters all dickheads that get everyone killed for no reason

Season 2: Zombie Trek, Boat Edition first half is good then the second half everyone goes loving insane for no reason, and I don't mean that as hyperbole, I mean they literally go loving insane for no reason. From turning into serial killers to burning your hosts alive because 'gently caress you, I don't like the ideas you're giving my son' to 'We need to escape this unstoppable army of 5 loving idiots, despite having the most fortified place ever!' is pure poo poo

Season 3: Episode 1 starts off questionably with some REALLY inconsistent characterization of the military people encountered in the previous season, and I mean REALLY loving inconsistent. But after episode 1 it actually turns out to be, so far, the best season of Walking Dead anything since WD Season 1 which is pretty funny.

Want my opinion? Just start with season three. Yeah you won't know the characters but they're inconsistent train wrecks anyway and the story is pretty contained because the plot has been useless until now. Three is actually pretty entertaining.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Blazing Ownager posted:

After Walker said all that poo poo to Daniel and Strand, I honestly honestly thought the episode was going to end with the three of them ganking him in the desert, letting walkers chew on him and return to base with an "Awww sorry, he didn't make it. But I got all the water and saved everyone so I guess that makes me Madam President now, right?"
Walker really is a huge piece of poo poo. He can't resist constantly spewing out murder threats, and it's amazing that Madison et al. let him live after the most recent round. I just can't imagine tolerating someone that beligerently psycho in the middle of the apocalypse.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I really thought Walker was on the exploding truck at first

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
So I just rewatched the trucksplosion scene and I guess Strand already had his plan in place but Daniel said he'd be cool with it if something awesome happened? Am I watching that correctly? Or did Strand do it afterwards, but was thinking about it when Daniel came around?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

veni veni veni posted:

Oh cool and the season resolved nothing and ended on another cliffhanger.

gently caress this terrible terrible show. I think I'm finally ready to stop bitching about TWD and and get proactive about not watching it.

TWD is best watched all at once on Netflix and then watch the season premier. Then don't give a poo poo about it until it's back on Netflix again.

Just binged watched season 7 and how the hell do they have time to do funerals and provide medical care for the people that are dead/hurt? Like what is Negan going back to the base and resting up for a week before loving their poo poo up?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Why did the characters do {thing that makes no sense}?

How did the writers miss {glaring plothole}?

What the hell just happened with {ambiguous scene with confusing camera angles}?

The show is written by people with very little knowledge about things, very little general IQ, and even less imagination. That is why it is such a goddamned clusterfuck.

It would be like if me and a couple of my mates decided, with no experience in the field, to write a script, only for some bizarre reason a major tv network started throwing money at us and lifting our lovely work onto some weird pedestal, convincing a subset of the public they were watching a profound work of art. Everyone else would take one look and be like wtf is this and there'd be similar confusion like we see in this thread.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
when is strand going to suck another dick

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Blazing Ownager posted:

At this point Daryl is coming off as this asexual loner that hasn't had a single relationship since the apocalypse or probably before that. The closest thing to a hint of a relationship ever was him and Carol but at this point I'm not convinced that wasn't like a family-member thing and not a romantic-thing. I don't think he's ever even voiced a single thing on the subject in 7 seasons.

If anything, I half expected Daniel to kill him, given their whole 'thanks for saving my daughter. How is she?' 'Oh yeah, she's my like, my number one soldier. Poisoned a bunch of people!' conversation.

I like a lot of the little minor character moments; they don't seem forced like in the main show. It might just be Strand, but I like how he interacts with Madison, like the 'you probably had a perm back then' convo with her, or when he walked in on agua priest and the guy that got wounded. Just that back and forth 'it's just a flesh wound' 'well I'm lucky I have a lot of it', then them trying to box out Strand (who I assume absolutely knows Spanish, but just won't say poo poo about it to hedge his bets) by speaking Spanish.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I am actually sad that more people don't seem to be watching FTWD. It's made one of the biggest turnarounds in a show that I've seen.

Also, I loved when Alicia said that her boyfriend was "one of the last good people she knew" cause I knew then and there he was dead.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Man, if Nick had shot Troy like he'd asked, he'd be three for three on offing Ottos.

E: I thought Nick making the decision to chop off Jake's arm was weird. Not for trying to save him, but Troy, Mr. zombie-pseudoscience was just like 'uhhhhhhhhh, I dunno?'

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 25, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LadyPictureShow posted:

Man, if Nick had shot Troy like he'd asked, he'd be three for three on offing Ottos.

Holy gently caress did Nick gently caress up clocking him into a zombie pit.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
That steel underground bunker would have probably been a good place to hide in to begin with.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

The Walrus posted:

this show got bad again

They are in rural San Diego county which shares a border with Mexico, where the gently caress did you get Wyoming from?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I still don't know why the Ottos were playing border patrol

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

moist turtleneck posted:

I still don't know why the Ottos were playing border patrol

Because he didn't want brown people in his prepper camp. That's it that was his whole motivation.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Wait why the gently caress did Nick wait until morning to to tell Alicia and Jake about Troy

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

moist turtleneck posted:

Wait why the gently caress did Nick wait until morning to to tell Alicia and Jake about Troy

He didn't want to walk in on them banging.

E: Real reason, he probably figured it was better to not run out in the middle of the night after a delusional, sleep deprived nutter.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 26, 2017

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Cactus posted:

I just wish that song had been about the blonde queen and not the water queen.

No one dares to sing about The Reaver Queen of Texas.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

The difference in quality between the two shows is kind of amazing. I just watched the latest FTWD, and I don't think I've been that entertained by TWD since "look at the flowers.". Like, holy poo poo, actual moral dilemmas being navigated! Likeable characters at odds with each other! Villains with complex motives!

Tehdas
Dec 30, 2012
Dumb poo poo that happened this episode:
They still can't justify why they should stay at the ranch, with two conversations directly referencing how little it has going for it.
Alicia and nick being setup as ppl who the ranchers will follow by exposition rather than anything they have done. Reeks of main characters being more important in the world because they are main characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

To be fair, a lot of the ranchers may just be followers and tbey lost the leader they looked uo to for years...