Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

I feel like Nick and Luciana are one of the more realistic depictions of a romantic couple forming in an apocalypse scenario I've personally seen LMFAO.

I kind of resent TV couples that fall hard and fast for each other and act like they've been together 10 years when it's actually only been like 3 weeks. It's weird but I kind of like that they just loving leave regardless of whether the other wants to follow them.

Like if I'm trying to survive the apocalypse, yeah, personal relationships will be probably be forged in the process

but I'm still looking out for myself and if I don't feel safe somewhere, I'm out.

EDIT: I hope Nick's not gonna be too much of a pissbaby about it but he probably will be

Acacia REI fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jun 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Was an alright episode tonight.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tenzarin posted:

Was an alright episode tonight.

I know, it's almost like the show is getting good enough to warrent it's own thread or at least a topic change. I expected to laugh more at it this season and outside of the WILDLY inconsistent mess of the first episode gelling the whole "US Military" ending of season 2 with their new idea for 3, it's actually been shockingly solid.

Though if the season ends with a mostly white settlement steamrolling a native American one in a battle over land, that's going to be.. something.

Anyway, yeah seriously, I think it's time we at the least change the topic of this thread. This season's actually kind of worth watching so far. It's a gently caress load better than WD's last season, mostly because at the rate things are happening here Negan wouldn't have lasted 4 episodes.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Acacia REI posted:

I feel like Nick and Luciana are one of the more realistic depictions of a romantic couple forming in an apocalypse scenario I've personally seen LMFAO.

I kind of resent TV couples that fall hard and fast for each other and act like they've been together 10 years when it's actually only been like 3 weeks. It's weird but I kind of like that they just loving leave regardless of whether the other wants to follow them.

Like if I'm trying to survive the apocalypse, yeah, personal relationships will be probably be forged in the process

but I'm still looking out for myself and if I don't feel safe somewhere, I'm out.

I do think they are downplaying that opening mess considerably. Because they clearly said that ALL of the people knew about the psycho experiments happening, then suddenly nobody knows except the people involved. Yet that makes no sense because they were all cheering at Travis in the death pit. Like, the people we saw in episode 1 suddenly are not the same people we're dealing with (aside from one man) in episode 2 and up. It's the one big black mark on this so far.

That said, "Can't get square with what happened," is a bit of an understatement when what happened was 'My crazy son who's also kind of in charge of a lot of the place took turns executing dozens of her people that she co-lead just to record turn times.'

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I hope the Native American who was talking about how it was "their" land, means that literally. Like Otto sued the state to turn over property rights or something instead of being Indian Cliche #1.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Blazing Ownager posted:

Anyway, yeah seriously, I think it's time we at the least change the topic of this thread. This season's actually kind of worth watching so far. It's a gently caress load better than WD's last season, mostly because at the rate things are happening here Negan wouldn't have lasted 4 episodes.
------>Fear the Walking Dead: Third Season's a Charm?

Fear the Walking Dead S3: Surprisingly Above Average So Far

Fear the Walking Dead S3: At Least it's Not Trash-People

Fear the Walking Dead S3: Death by Clarke

Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008
Here's to hoping the Native Americans win for once. Of course they won't, because the Walking Dead universe is predictable as hell and loves making GBS threads on minorities. But Fear is still somehow way better than TWD this season...

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
Yeah I have to admit it's a decent show now. The new antagonists are interesting, their survival setup is not entirely ludicrous, things happen and people don't have 20 minute conversations about what it feels like being sad. It's.... ok.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Blazing Ownager posted:

I do think they are downplaying that opening mess considerably. Because they clearly said that ALL of the people knew about the psycho experiments happening, then suddenly nobody knows except the people involved. Yet that makes no sense because they were all cheering at Travis in the death pit. Like, the people we saw in episode 1 suddenly are not the same people we're dealing with (aside from one man) in episode 2 and up. It's the one big black mark on this so far.

That said, "Can't get square with what happened," is a bit of an understatement when what happened was 'My crazy son who's also kind of in charge of a lot of the place took turns executing dozens of her people that she co-lead just to record turn times.'
I assumed it was maybe a group of a dozen or less who were aware of the experiments and the rest were unaware. I don't remember them saying everyone knew. Or they did but didn't realize how bad it was. Troy did downplay it all saying they were only taking people who were "gonna die anyway." I'd have to re-watch it though, a lot of the dialog from the first hour of the finale is kind of a blur to me now.

...Or maybe everyone but Jake was in on it and once he found out, they all just played dumb lmao

And yeah, in all the discussions I've seen on this, everyone thinks Luciana is a bitch for leaving. I think Nick was being insensitive for wanting her to stay. All the characters in the TWDverse have GPS tracking on each other anyway though so they will probably hook back up later.

JossiRossi posted:

I hope the Native American who was talking about how it was "their" land, means that literally. Like Otto sued the state to turn over property rights or something instead of being Indian Cliche #1.

Natives: "We want our land back"
Main characters: "We're sorry for what our ancestors did to your people but we were also born in this country too."
Natives: "No, we mean this was literally our property until the State turned it over to the Otto family so they could build their redneck prepper camp"

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I need to properly watch it tonight but I skimmed through it yesterday and I think that one guy needs to wear a helmet if he's got brain sticking out

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

The TV IV › Fear the walking stair, the man that wasn't there, again today, I wish he'd stay away,

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Haha, that Native American demanding his land back? He's a lawyer, been suing to get the land from Otto forever.

JossiRossi posted:

I was shockingly close.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

JossiRossi posted:

I was shockingly close.

Yeah the idea that they have a legal right to the land makes any future discussions about "The Real Bad Guys" hilariously one-sided

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

TWD is literally beating a dead horse.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

madison is clearly the rick of the west coast

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Dayton Callie is a good actor but I don't think he really spends a lot of time worrying about his character's thoughts or motivations.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Super Aggro Crag posted:

TWD is literally beating a dead horse.

TWD literally b eating a dead horse.

:)

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Yo for a second there I thought reveal was gonna be Madison saying 'so that's why I did it.'

Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008
Yeah Madison, back the unstable psychopath and push him to take over. No way that's going to end badly, no way at all!

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Satchel and Trunk posted:

Yeah Madison, back the unstable psychopath and push him to take over. No way that's going to end badly, no way at all!

Or it's the most ELABORATE double cross. 'He killed Travis, but you tried to kill my whole family.'

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

It's her only play. The father is ineffectual as leader; his entire modus operendi with his group was "set it and forget it"--build the compound, get supplies, recruit other families, the let his son take over. The son he wants to take over has no desire to do so. Madison is still too new and too much of an outsider to take charge. For all his faults, the psychopath son is a born leader and command comes naturally to him.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

Outside of the murderous psychosis, which is, er, admittedly a big deal, he's actually been right about pretty much everything else.

Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008
Well, what I meant to say is...they're all dead and they don't know it yet. Because Madison and her kin are avatars of death.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > The Walking Dead S7 - Chat about a different show entirely

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Is it really that different?

Also, why not take off a shirt and rip it to cover your feet? Anything would be better than nothing.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Milsurp to a wackadoodle libertarian is loving sacred, they probably hand washed those vests the second they got back to the ranch.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fog Tripper posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > The Walking Dead S7 - Chat about a different show entirely

Fear was such poo poo that I think people didn't expect it deserving it's own threat and with the post numbers, I don't know if it could support one, but this season has kind of surprised me. Other than the ludicrous bullshit in episode 1 it's been one of the better seasons from either show so far.

the talent deficit posted:

madison is clearly the rick Governor of the west coast

I think that's looking more accurate.

I really do want to see these shows ultimately collide with Madison and a crazy band of whatever group they end up with that they don't burn down being the main villains. gently caress, AMC could get really creative and keep both shows on the air with each side's perspective, that'd be kind of an entertaining experiment. Watch Rick's crew whine and whine about "Gotta kill Madison.." while the Fear crew manages to kill someone off ever 3-4 episodes.

Bates posted:

Yeah I have to admit it's a decent show now. The new antagonists are interesting, their survival setup is not entirely ludicrous, things happen and people don't have 20 minute conversations about what it feels like being sad. It's.... ok.

Acacia REI posted:

------>Fear the Walking Dead: Third Season's a Charm?

Fear the Walking Dead S3: Surprisingly Above Average So Far

Fear the Walking Dead S3: At Least it's Not Trash-People

Fear the Walking Dead S3: Death by Clarke

I really do think at this point this show either deserves it's own thread or this should be renamed in an official hybrid one.

This season is actually interesting and it BLOWS THE gently caress out of last season of TWD.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Sulman posted:

Outside of the murderous psychosis, which is, er, admittedly a big deal, he's actually been right about pretty much everything else.

He got his shoes stolen by Walker (why the gently caress did they call him that?) like a little bitch.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Tortuga posted:

He got his shoes stolen by Walker (why the gently caress did they call him that?) like a little bitch.

Because people are the real threat :downs:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Why do Indians need land at all?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Tortuga posted:

He got his shoes stolen by Walker (why the gently caress did they call him that?).

I mean, it's a perfectly normal name to have, just kinda sucks that you gotta share a name with the flesh-eating hoard.

And I don't remember if anyone's called them walkers on this show. The only things I can remember are the Mexican groups calling them 'sombras' and Troy's group calling them 'wasteds'.

They've probably been called walkers and I just don't recall.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Tenzarin posted:

It is a bit douchey, since odds on if they ever DID own that particular land for a period of time, it was probably after being forced West by the US in an earlier period, and the original pre Columbian home of that tribe was probably NC or GA or something. So unless they are going for "now is the time when we will expell ALL whites from the entire Continental US, it's probably unnecessary to force the Cult Dudes out. Not to mention they could move into almost any city, subdivision, small town, or farming area in the surrounding 3 states and set up a bitchin' Authentic Native American Society without fighting anyone. I think this is more an opportunistic attempt by Walker to settle personal grievences.

I hope they make the Indians more than cardboard villans though. I like the idea that FTWD has addressed "how would a heavily armed White Supremacist Doomsday Cult make it in the Zombie Apocalypse?" and I hope they continue to show how other communities do. I'd love to see how maybe Indians can go back to their roots and thrive, or maybe the Amish.

I bet SOMEBODY besides Negan and The Kingdom has found the Lifehack to surviving the ZA.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Past 3 episodes have been really good.

Tenzarin posted:

Maybe they don't need it but want it.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Wow, the final two episodes are both airing this Sunday. I wasn't aware they were doubling up (I avoid previews). Cool.

Not sure how these things work, I came to TWD later than most, but are we going to see a "new" character soon? The two women from the FtWD: Passage miniseries are in the area, I think. I only saw a handful of those episodes, and I can't recall any direct ties to the main Fear story, so if there are none, I believe this would be the first miniseries not to have any connections. Is it a guarantee that the two will link? Just wondering. I just hope it isn't as lovely and forced as that airplane crap.

I was with FtWD until the time-jump, which I believe was a colossal misstep. I'm glad the show bounced back. One thing I like about it is that it's hard to imagine what Fear will look like 2-3 episodes down the road. Who will be alive or dead, together or apart, allies or enemies, or where the characters will be.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Wow its already at a mid season finale.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Tenzarin posted:

Wow its already at a mid season finale.

I really hate the way networks insist on burning off 1-2 weeks worth of shows by doubling up at season premieres, finales, or now mid-season finales.

You could almost have continuous Walking Dead all year (well not really but you know what I mean) if it wasn't for that..

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Blazing Ownager posted:

Fear was such poo poo that I think people didn't expect it deserving it's own threat and with the post numbers, I don't know if it could support one, but this season has kind of surprised me. Other than the ludicrous bullshit in episode 1 it's been one of the better seasons from either show so far.

I really do think at this point this show either deserves it's own thread or this should be renamed in an official hybrid one.

This season is actually interesting and it BLOWS THE gently caress out of last season of TWD.
I think it would get at least a few more posts per week if it were its own independent thread. It would probably pique the interest of some of the people who quit the show over the last two seasons too. I know the midseason finale is in a few days but at least we could get some activity from that and then just revive the thread when the show comes back.

Astroman posted:

I really hate the way networks insist on burning off 1-2 weeks worth of shows by doubling up at season premieres, finales, or now mid-season finales.

You could almost have continuous Walking Dead all year (well not really but you know what I mean) if it wasn't for that..
FTWD is going on break so it doesn't get steamrolled by GoT in ratings. TWD goes on break so it doesn't have to compete with Sunday Night Football for live viewership during its peak months.

Tenzarin posted:

Principle probably has a lot to do with it. Before the outbreak if they tried anything forceful like that, law enforcement/military would have immediately shut them down. Now they can do whatever they want. Walker and the Otto family were fighting over the land long before the zombie apocalypse so now that nothing is standing in their way, why not?

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

LadyPictureShow posted:

I mean, it's a perfectly normal name to have, just kinda sucks that you gotta share a name with the flesh-eating hoard.

And I don't remember if anyone's called them walkers on this show. The only things I can remember are the Mexican groups calling them 'sombras' and Troy's group calling them 'wasteds'.

They've probably been called walkers and I just don't recall.

It is a perfectly bland, soccer-mom type name like what a Walking Dead character would be expected to have and I don't think anyone's called them walkers on FTWD, but it's still going to irrationally grate on me whenever I see him.

It' not like FTWD is too PC a show to have just given him a badass Native American name considering they've already got him demanding ancestral lands back and scalping folks.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

IMDb lists the character's full name as 'Qaletqa Walker' and I have zero clue if that's any sort of actual Native American first name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Maybe his middle name is Fire