Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Glen and Abe will get bashed. Rick will be all pissed and try to come at Negan, but he'll probably grab Carl or something and then Rick will finally submit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

Except everywhere I've looked everyone is complaining specifically about the gore, so... not really? :butt:

You weren't looking hard enough.

quote:

It’s not a matter of the level of violence; that in itself doesn’t bother me. It’s almost never the kind of violence or relative explicitness that turns me against a movie or a television series. It’s always about the worldview of the people presenting it. That’s what’s offensive to me — not the gore, but the sensibility behind it.

"I’ve been writing about this medium for 20 years and watching it for more than 40, and I can’t recall a major TV series marketing cruelty and trauma as cynically, even gleefully, as this AMC saga. The rampage was hyped by a lengthy, thorough ad campaign spotlighting not any regular cast member, but Negan and his weapon. [...] This is revealing: AMC’s marketing department generated suspense by asking who would live and who would die after Negan’s bat-fest, yet the emphasis was not on the potential victim(s), but Morgan’s George Clooney smile and Negan’s substitute phallus."

http://www.vulture.com/2016/10/walking-dead-empty-violence.html

quote:

And it turned outright problematic last season when the show seemed to eschew true character or narrative developments in lieu of tawdry manipulation. Whether it was faking Glenn’s death, dropping Polaroids of bashed-in heads into shots to tease comics fans, or the seemingly endless almost-reveals of new bad guy Negan, The Walking Dead seemed more about hyping itself than about telling a story.

That is orchestrated cynicism, pure and simple, forcing the audience to wait until the show was safely past its second commercial break before answering the question it left everyone asking. At a certain point, you have to sit back and realize what you’re watching is not satisfying storytelling — it’s manipulation.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/24/13378876/the-walking-dead-season-7-premiere-recap-review-end-of-quitters-club

It's not just the violence, it's the tedium and misery. Also the terrible writing, direction etc. I have no problem with them killing Glenn off, but they executed poorly. It's not even the gore for me, it's everything around it and the structure of the episode. It was clearly meant to be emotionally manipulative, but they tried too hard and it came off as gratuitous. Seriously the reviews haven't been this bad since the season finale. But people keep watching so the show will keep being terrible.

You can say, what do you expect it's zombies! But I don't remember Shaun of the Dead, Z-Nation or the OG Dawn of the Dead being so wanton and purposefully manipulative on such a base level for the sake of it. Z-Nation can be gross/gorey but it knows it's a b-movie level show and presents itself like that. Same with Ash VS the Evil dead which has like 10x the gore, but it stays in it's lane. Walking Dead wants to be a serious drama and a gorefest but it's doing neither in a genuine, engaging way.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I love Ezekiel. I like that his backstory was grounded and about the only believable explanation for having a Tiger. I like that he dropped the act in front of Carol because, hey, you can't bullshit a bullshitter. I like that she saw right through him and he saw back through her. I liked the lovely Tiger CG and the King Ezekiel quotes in every room like he was LARP Moses. Jerry was adorable. I was cackling the entire time Carol was in the theatre when Morgan introduced them. I'm just hoping we get a "Booya!" easter egg next time.

This is the most and best ridiculous change of pace and a nice break up from the endless misery the show needed honestly. It also reminded me I need to catch up on Z-Nation. Thanks Walking Dead!

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

If we're talking about crossovers, I'd really like to see Clementine. And Lee but he'd be dead by now although the show changes poo poo all the time so we could have both of them. I'd like to see Stone Cold Carl and Clem being an awesome teenage duo. Like the millennial version of Rick and Michonne.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I like Sasha. Mostly for her potential if that makes sense. Everyone around her dies. Yeah everyone in this show dies but she lost Bob, Tyreese and now Abharam and still gets up and gets the job done. She's an excellent sniper. She could be a crazy interesting character if the writers actually explored this. She is also a black woman on TV and our demographic always gets shafted when it comes to representation. She is a "strong black woman" but doesn't fall into the trope of not needing companionship, even though she fights it sometimes. Sasha could be really cool and good if they gave her some character building. Remember how Michonne came around? I want that for Sasha.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

coyo7e posted:

That might be cool because I always wondered what adventures Michonne was off doing on that boat in the comics

I wonder if this is tied to TWD: Michonne game. I just started it but she's living on a boat with some other survivors (so far)

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

moist turtleneck posted:

I was kind of hoping that Alicia was going to start comically shooting people in the head that weren't in immediate danger while all the onlookers are like "wtf yo"

Kind of like Andrea when she shot Darryl in the head

I remember being kinda sad when Andrea died, because I had hope they could fix the character after all the lovely writing and I was looking forward to her comics arc. But now I'm really glad she's dead because they gave it to Michonne who almost immediately became 100x better the next season, and Michonne/Rick are about the only enjoyable thing left in the show at all.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

galagazombie posted:

The Hollywood/TV/etc. industry is the best possible evidence that capitalism doesn't work. Failure is rewarded with ever bigger piles of money.*

*Does not apply if you are non-white.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

holy poo poo, this editing lmao

please tell me that didn't actually air

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

moist turtleneck posted:

if anything I cut some of the reaction shot out because it was too long already

I know Maggie's leaving, cause her new pilot got picked up but holy poo poo Danai also deserves better.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Hasselblad posted:

The only one in this show deserving of better is McBride .

I guess someone didn't see Black Panther.

General Okoye is the poo poo, and Danai being so charming while kicking rear end is a big part of that.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

moist turtleneck posted:

What is with this show and having really stupid drawn out scenes at hilltop?

The writers know anything about tone, tension, or setting up proper A & B stories that gel with the seasons overarching plot. They also don't seem to understand properly setting up and executing an overarching plot. It seems like they have no idea what kind of climaxes, resolutions and character development is actually satisfying as a viewer.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Acacia REI posted:

EDIT how the gently caress do you post images? I've never been able to get [img] tags to work on this forum.

[img]url.gif[/img]

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Boinks posted:

Yeah but dad from Raising Hope rules

Wait, Burt is on this show now?

Or do you mean Jimmy?

Raising Hope is criminally underrated and I think it's still on Netflix and it's way better than the Walking Dead.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

xerxus posted:

It's Burt/Garrett Dillahunt. He's playing a gunslinger who doesn't like to kill.

I hope he lasts the season.

Oh my God, I loooove him. Ugh I don't know if that's enough to make me watch this show again.

It almost is though.

clown shoes posted:

Wow leave Under the Dome alone. It was terrible but a lot more fun to watch than this Dead show.

I never watched UTD but the book was really enjoyable. My favorite King books are the ones that focus on the entire towns. (Needful Things, IT)

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

Didn’t MK have Freddy Kruger, Jason Voorhees, and Leatherface at one point?

Yes and it was awesome.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Can someone please summarize how they wrote Rick and Maggie out?

And what's going on with Michonne/Judith?

I dropped this show after the Glen died but I have to know lol

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Maggie’s still on the show as of last night’s episode.

We find out later that he survived somehow and was helicoptered out of the show by a mystery group related to a side character introduced last season.
Apparently they want Lincoln to reprise Rick in a series of TV movies next year but lol that’s not happening.

At the very end of the show there’s a 6-year flash-forward and Judith is sniping walkers with Rick’s hand cannon with Michonne’s katana on her back.

LMAO what

Also I am pretty sure that was Maggie's last episode.

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/the-walking-dead-lauren-cohan-officially-done-for-now-but-a-maggie-movie-might-be-in-the

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

She was in Black Panther and realized how much better she could do than this trash

Looking forward to her starting opposite Lupita and MJB in a sexy bisexual RomCom

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

CODChimera posted:

Wait hold up Michonne has a son?

She was pregnant when Rick "died" iirc and it's his kid.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I haven't seen the show in forever, did Michonne die or did she run off screen and abandon her kids like Rick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

J-Spot posted:

She ran off screen and abandoned her kids to find Rick.

They really were meant to be 😍