Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zebulon posted:

This seems like just about the effort for an op that this show deserves at this point.

It's OK, nobody died. Someone found a dumpster to hide under and Negan went away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dirk Pitt posted:

Sasha is going to take the beating.

I'd almost forgive AMC for that because it'd be so stupid it'd be hilarious AND rid of us of Sasha. Can she be a second victim? She's annoying as poo poo and unlike Michonne, got way worse instead of way better. (They both started as scowly McAssholes, but Michonne developed a personality and Sasha did not).

JossiRossi posted:

I would stop watching this show so fast if that happened.

Who else am I supposed to identify with?

Seriously, kill the least interesting characters first, show.

Killing Eugene would be dumb as hell. He's actually in the middle of a character arc and is also one of the characters that provides something for the show that none of the others really can. It'd really hurt the show to kill him, and frankly, it'll hurt the show to kill Abarham too.

I hate to say it, I like Glenn a lot, but it'd help the show to kill him as expected the more I think about it. There's nothing he can do the others can't anymore, and he was important enough to dramatically impact the whole thing and change a lot of the way people act. Anyone else will be a wet fart followed by a notable absence of something good about the show. I don't know how much more poo poo I can take without Abarham's one liners.

In other words: If you kill Glenn people will feel the absence and the show won't lose a positive attribute, really. Glenn stopped being awesome since he bartered his SWAT armor away and never got more.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 10, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You know people keep going "HOLY poo poo THEY GOT A TANK HOLY gently caress THEY GOT A TANK" in wasteland things, and no exception here when they encounter a tank

But why isn't EVERY loving Wasteland army trying to get a tank? The military wasn't wiped out in armored combat I am sure there are hundreds of the loving things sitting around if you're willing to clear a military base for one, along with what, thousands of rifles?

Does nobody raid a Goddamn military base in this universe?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress it, I know what this season should be about now.

Rick: " I have just the ticket for this rear end in a top hat but it'll be a trip to get it."
Others: "Where we going?"
Rick: "Atlanta."

Cut to a zoom out of the tank from the pilot.

Actually that'd be kind of loving awesome so they'll never do it.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Khablam posted:

I think this is mentioned really early on? (People saying they tried to evac to them but they were over-run) Essentially any army base is going to be thousands of walkers in an enclosed area.

Seems like good risk/reward to me.

That said I did look up fuel mileage on an Abrams, and at 300 gallons every eight hours (holy poo poo), yeah. I can see why nobody has a tank. You win this one, Walking Dead. (That said a M1126 Stryker is just as good as a tank for these purposes and gets 300 miles on 53 gallons of fuel, so I still think they should raid a base.)

That said no matter how lovely or stupid the tactics get on Walking Dead they'll never be as bad as Fear the Walking Dead. They make decisions that make dangling Glenn in the well look good, and the finale was equally hilarious. The Cartel raid was one of the most inept things I've ever seen on TV, on both sides.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Oct 11, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

vintagepurple posted:

So I'm almost done watching this show on netflix and am I supposed to like or sympathize with Carol at all? She's a paranoid maniac and for every retarded badass stunt the writers give her there's a multi-episode plot arc where she causes lethal drama for no loving reason, and given her backstory I think they're trying to portray her as "strong"? Like every paranoid murder plot she endeavors on just causes problems. Why hasn't anyone executed her for the greater good? Also she transforms into Knife Badass overnight and with no real explanation. S6E13 and I am dying for these antagonists to cap Carol. I hate every second she is speaking. And apparently she's seen as a popular character? Woah look how strong she is for threatening to kidnap the abused child and abandon him to zombies.

Don't worry they completely nerf her into a simpering crazy person who doesn't want to kill anyone* for absolutely no reason out of absolutely nowhere

* She still kills them, kills them all

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zebulon posted:

Kirkman's on record as saying that cutting off one of Rick's hands was pretty much the single stupidest thing he did in the comic because of how much if complicates doing pretty much anything with him. They're not going to hack his hand off in the TV show.

Merle rocked it.

I still don't know how the gently caress Merle lost a fight with the Govenor. Everything they did with that character was dumb. He should have lost the fight, BADLY to Merle, then the Gov had his guys shoot Merle. Not the Gov taking Merle on in a fair fight like an 80s action movie and somehow beating the poo poo out of him?

Tenzarin posted:

Gasoline apparently goes stale or something. Never mind how they still have gas and clean cars showing the logos.

Oh yeah, I know. By now they should be having ALL KINDS of expiration problems but I was ignoring them since the show does. It's like Fallout, except Fallout kind of does it as a joke.

"We have to go raid a pharmacy. Get meds." Nobody says, "Those meds are expired in six months, it's been six years."

moist turtleneck posted:

Merle didn't kill the governor because reasons

I guess the reason was to make Darryl sad

I think the reason was Merle's actor made AMC's accountants sad. He got paid too much.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 12, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Acacia REI posted:

I think that's a fair analysis. I still think it was awkwardly placed though, considering the two women she'd just off'd were shamelessly evil and were trying to kill not only her, but her pregnant friend. IDK it just bothered me when it happened. Like I remember thinking "oh wow this is a great bait-and-switch, good job Carol!" and then it just wasn't and I was like "Well then...."

Carol turned awesome when she single-handedly obliterated Terminus and remained awesome until the incident with the kid, when suddenly she starts crying about being the most effective character on the show. That said the poo poo with her and Morgan getting into a loving fight in the middle of an attack was dumb.. as.. hell. But nobody escapes the stupidity of Walking Dead.

Anyone in this thread saying Post-Terminus and Pre-Pacifist Carol wasn't awesome are wrong. Personally I love the fact a background character marked as a red shirt and with a lame as hell comics counterpoint has turned into quite possibly the most dangerous person in Alexandria is awesome. Seriously though I think she's more dangerous than Rick and Daryl put together.

PS: They'd solve all their problems if they pointed the walking WMD known as Carol at his base. The way they were screwing her up at the end, I almost want a parody where she was at the Negan scene and just starts killing all of Negan's men while balling "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I don't want to murder every last one of you, I just can't help it."

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 14, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Luvcow posted:

Yeah but i see at as that's the point. She doesn't want to be a ruthless killer but she's really good at it and that's what/who she was fighting most of her life, now she's becoming that monster and it's because she's trying to defend all these other people. That's the way i saw it but yeah i can definitely agree it seemed like the writers may have kinda forced it at the time because they seem to have a rotating list of who is going to lose it at that time.

I wish I bookmarked that gif of her crying and firing the uzi and cutting to all the carnage she causes that was in the last thread. The problem is they evolved her character on an arc to make her from the weakest of the group to the strongest, and instead of exploring her concern over time with the cookies kid and such, they suddenly made her into a pacifist. I am sorry but that scene where she's crying "I don't want to kill you" while mowing down a truck load of people with a loving uzi was comedy gold, not emotionally hitting.

I think it also sucks that they took such a unique character - an older woman everyone thinks is a pathetic house wife but is actually the biggest badass in Rick's crew, bigger than the survivalist or the 6'5 guy with a rocket launcher - and then reduced her to crying about her lot in life and having an emotional realization. It's lame. Daryl or Abraham don't get those kind of moments "because they're badasses." I liked the fact Carol was on the Badass list, given everything about her and her origin made it so against type.

Basically I am really, really hoping Morgan's realization he can't be a total no-kill pussy finally snaps her back into that badass. You all can talk about deep character motivation with her if you want, but she really added something to not just the show - but to TV in general, being where she was: An "action hero" that in no way looks like one, and who's origin should have made them the victim. I'm OK with layers but no more abrupt bullshit.

ED: Also gently caress realism on this one. You've got a bunch of way, way more over the top characters than her. She was plenty grounded as the pragmatic one. The only stupid thing she ever did was insist on gunning down the Wolves instead of interrogating them about their base camp when captured, THEN offing them. But I guess she had psychic writer vision to know the wolves were just going to gently caress off and never be heard from again?

twistedmentat posted:

The only good thing is we know Trevor Phillips survived the Apocalypse.

Is it wrong that he's the main reason I'm coming back?

I really hope his role is rather large in this. Ogg is awesome in whatever he shows up in.

Also I'd be a hundred more times afraid of Trevor than Negan. Even if Negan beats people's heads in with a bat, everything we've seen of him (even the previews) he's smug, in control and in his mind reasonable in his will breaking. Where as Ogg/Trevor (Come on, everyone's going to keep calling him Trevor) feels like he could snap and just beat everyone to death in a milisecond of bad decision making, and then double down and have your entire town burnt to the ground.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 14, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So remember when they did that Governor pair of episodes, and they felt like a prequel story to Woodsbury if he didn't have an eye patch, because they were totally ripped off from a prequel comic and it was actually good and interesting and then he just suddenly went psycho for no reason and started murdering his own people so we could hit an AMC checkbox?

Just reminding ya'll gently caress AMC

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I would rather have lost Daryl and kept Big Dumb Abraham.

There are several characters I'd killed before Abraham.

Mostly because his character added a much needed element to the show and it's never smart to kill off an elemental nobody else brings. I thought the same thing with Herschel, whom I think they should have kept on and killed here instead, after everything. That'd double mindfucked Maggie and given us a lot more time with an aspect of the show we could have used.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My god so much whining about the violence level. I think it was stupid to ice a character and there's lots to complain about in Walking Dead all of the time, but really? Really? We ALL KNEW precisely what was coming and we've all seen this level of violence to hero characters before. It's loving hilarious.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Vitamin P posted:

Honestly if this show even attempts the Necromancer plot from the most recent comic it will be Show of the Year for all years.

Now I want just one episode of Ash vs EvilWalking Dead

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

moist turtleneck posted:

I want Eugene to be the final character. He finds a place with power and a copy of Fallout and clicks away the rest of his life

"Why play Fallout? As the only guy who can make bullets I can get even Negan's people to built me a replica vault to crank bullets out in and live the dream"

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

King Vidiot posted:

I still don't get the whiners, this show isn't remotely at "hate-watching" levels of badness.

While it's no 3rd season of Heroes/American Horror Story, Walking Dead has absolutely reached hate watching levels of badness. Hell I'm surprised the series even survived the farm.

It's just that it keeps veering wildly up and down on the quality scale. Sometimes it's great and sometimes .. it's not.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

smoobles posted:

No other show has been this equally terrible and compelling. The story isn't even compelling; it's wondering what the lovely loving writers will do next that's got me hooked. Is this what soap operas are like? Am I a mom now?

I can tell you exactly what it is. "gently caress this show, I'll watch the other shows about the apocalypse.. let's see.. there's like four cable shows that died after a season, some crappy 70s stuff that lasted a season, the even more insufferable Fear the Walking Dead, or Z-Nation (the only good choice)."

They should just make a Fallout TV show or something.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's not bad at all

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Super Aggro Crag posted:

It's hard to find this gross after two seasons of Ash Vs Evil Dead. Daryl done hosed up though.

That is easily the bloodiest show on TV. Even HBO would look at it and go "Ehhhhhh, I don't know."

And it is awesome. This season has taken it up to 11.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

One of them has a pretty funny heel turn and then he drives off into the sunset with his new Evil Friends. He more or less kills himself flipping his car on an empty road a couple hundred feet later. Lori would be proud.

Fear The Walking Dead's characters make every single Walking Dead character look like a strategic genius. They all act like people written by people who have taken all the drugs.

The series after the boat land literally goes completely insane and all of the characters from that point on act like villains and crazy people, seriously. The only way Fear could turn into a good series is if they embrace it and make it the story of a villain group.

ED: Actually OK they act like psychotic villains from the first season on, but now they're insane as well in a literal sense.

ED: OK I can sum up Fear's bullshit by just saying this: A bunch of characters think the zombies aren't dead and are like some Day of the Dead thing and we should co-exist with them.. and the show thinks that's like, groovy, man and seems to suggest these people are totally enlightened, not bum gently caress nuts

Kataphract posted:

They better not watch Ash vs Evil Dead then.

Everyone else should totally watch it because holy poo poo that series is awesome. The first season had some slow parts but holy poo poo, Starz, the gore is amazing now. Anyone holding out on this that loved Army of Darkness or Evil Dead II needs to fix that poo poo asap.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Oct 26, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

moist turtleneck posted:

Remember when the governor escaped that factory full of zombies and teleported like Jason? That was cool.

Remember when they spent two episodes building him into an interesting, multi-layered character with some depth, then set that all on fire and had him beat his 2nd in command to death out of absolutely loving nowhere because the writers couldn't be creative in how to get him back to the prison?

ED: Seriously if I was doing that plot I'd just had him trying to do the right thing, have his people end up entirely on the ropes and NEEDING a shelter like the prison (have his XO suggest it), then ultimately have him try to negotiate some deal with Rick that went south leading to the assault; maybe the impatient tank commander rear end in a top hat could have kick started it / his second in command could get sniped by Rick's guys. I don't know, yeah, it's just rambling fan ideas, but I can't help but feel there was a way to reach the same point with "Tragic story" instead of "Well that was dumb."

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 26, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You know I have to wonder, were Abe's last words the actor's last words to AMC when they tried to use this scene in negotiations?

I could be wrong but I bet you the reason they had all those clips of each person being hit with the bat is they wanted to make sure every actor knew they were on the chopping block if they wanted a raise and made them film it. Hey, free B-Roll!

Sulman posted:

I thought the bat scene was gratuitous and the relentless teasers focused on it bored me shitless, especially after the limp season end.

However, it did make an interesting companion to Rick's psychosis in the scene where he hacked up the Terminus survivor.

Seriously.

I think some people had more reaction than me. They drained all giving a poo poo with the way they handled this. It'd be like if Game of Thrones cut the Red Wedding at the Rains of Castamere and teased all the characters present in black & white with a "WHO WILL DIE" commercial assault. Instead of going "HOLY gently caress! HOLY gently caress! WHAT THE gently caress! HOLY gently caress!" I just went "Welp, looks like the internet was right on who gets it. Man that eye effect looks hilarious. I can't even feel bad right now."

I don't mind cliff hangers. I really don't. Jesus Christ, the cliffhanger that lead into Ozymandias on Breaking Bad was one of the most nail biting weeks ever. This is precisely how not to do a cliffhanger.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 26, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Yeah, the gore didn't bother me, most of it was just Negan repeatedly bashing piles of much on the ground anyway. I don't even particularly care about who died. I'm just tired of the same old poo poo: guy does something terrible while joking and laughing about it, group is broken down psychologically, and then eventually exacts their revenge. If that's all the show is going to offer in the long run, then what's the point?

For what it's worth, I've heard the comics go the complete reverse of that eventually, and this doesn't end like you'd think.

cjg posted:

Yeah. I'm having a hard time buying that this kind of group can exist and thrive. They're very very bad people. It would be so easy for someone to kill Negan. I'm sure there are some crazies in their ranks, right?

I would have found it hilarious if Rick just anticipated that rifle (as he should have) and did some police disarming poo poo to knock it aside and still hit him with the axe. All his posturing would have gone south real loving fast, and honestly, they might have just mutually killed each other in the real world.

I mean what if Rick had been Daryl and just thrown the axe at the Neegan instead of trying to club him with it? That'd been comedy gold and I'm sure people who kill zombies with axes ALL DAY are pretty good with them.

Now I just want to see an alternate take where they come back to Neegan's camp and Rick just kicks Neegan's head out the door and tells everyone they work for him, because honestly, Rick had a good chance at that.

Cartouche posted:

David Tennant should star in an episode of TWD as The Doctor, with him being the one to make Nagan look like a dweeb and remove him as a threat. Sonic Screwdriver > a club.

That sounds absolutely terrible.

If you want a sci-fi crossover involving a doctor I'd rather the Council of Ricks abduct Rick where he finds out Rick started the apocalypse, but not that Rick.

I know it won't happen but the show really should end after the time skip. Let things be dangerous but vaguely hopeful and go out on a "good" note instead of just letting everyone die until cancellation.

Everything should look screwed and then a huge military rolls up. Turns out Europe totally beat the infection and has come to liberate the US this time.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 26, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Jesus I've posted way too much today but yeah

That Europe comment did make me wonder, why the hell haven't they spun this show off in every country if they want spin-offs, with a zombie apocalypse set in that specific country? That seems way more profitable than Fear.

I mean for fucks sake we've seen a Mexican remake of Breaking Bad that was hilariously pointless, but shows like The Office or most reality shows have like a dozen regional versions that pull in money not many people are aware of.

Seems like AMC really is missing easy bank on this one. Instead of giving us a lovely Walking Dead set in Mexico, they should have given us lovely Walking Dead made in Mexico.

ED: Walking Dead China could be the Glorious Chinese Government succeeding and endlessly stopping the zombie hordes as the heroic and untouchable military they are, and make all the money.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 26, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

nopants posted:

Also, Negan seems crafty and ruthless. He's already probably buttfucked some groups that stood up to him and we didn't see it. we only saw how ruthless he was with Rick's crew.

How obvious is it that kid's dad and the other guys who died were killed by Negan, not zombies?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
For some reason my Firefox spellcheck is kicked on and when I right click this thread, it gives me the options of:

Disappointment
Disappointing
Disappointed
Disjointed

I think spellchecker is trying to review a typical WD season

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

There's no reason walker meat would be any more dangerous than regular human meat at the same state of decomposition.

So really, really, really, really loving dangerous, then?

moist turtleneck posted:

Wait so wasn't a FTWD character supposed to show up in WD this season?

If they do they better be a crazy bunch of assholes and villains.

That said, I would welcome El Salivdad popping up on WD randomly. He, Nick and Strand are the only three charact--- err, not really, but actors worth saving.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

This is why I was kind of excited for FtWD, but they really managed to gently caress that up tremendously.

So so tremendously

Again, warning for those of you not cross threading this, Fear literally has characters so incredibly stupid that the dumbest poo poo (even the Glenn well scene) WD characters do looks loving genius compared to anything they did.

That and the show keeps trying to make these grand threats, then on-camera shows us like 10 people, and it's hilarious. The finale had my eyes roll out of my head then the big bad unstoppable Cartel carefully crawls through a zombie field, one dude with a rifle could have literally defended the whole town.

Also, I don't know what the gently caress drugs the Fear crew is on but I would seriously bet $100 and/or toxx myself that at least half of the writing staff on Fear does all the loving drugs. It's not just the incompetency, it's the fact there's this vibe of "What if the dead, are like, us man? We should like, co-exist and poo poo. Pass me the bong," running through the whole show in the dumbest manner possible now.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 31, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It's getting to the point where I won't be surprised if there's a crossover and Thor shows up or something, and I would also not be surprised if people defended it because "it's a show about the zombie apocalypse it's not supposed to make sense".

If only they could have a meltdown that glorious.

"Disney bought AMC so it turns out Walking Dead actually takes place in an alternate Marvel Zombies universe, so the series finale will be Thor saving everyone," would be so amazing/stupid I'm sure people would be talking about it in media history classes in 2116

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ehud posted:

I like Morgan and Carol and the dumb tiger city, mostly because it feels so different and I'm just so tired of all these zombies.

I wish more people were buying into his act to the point to join in. I so want the guy they eventually send to lead the rebellion against Negan would talk like "Avast! I have a quest to slay you, beast! Let us duel in honorable combat!" before being lit up by machine gun fire

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

cjg posted:

They left her back at Alexandria with Gabriel in charge.

I am looking forward to the Gabriel side story they fill time with, wherein he immediately looses Judith and zombies eat her while he looks crazy-eyed.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Question for all of you. If this is the last season, it's not, but say AMC goes bankrupt or they decide to just end it BBC style, how should the series end?

I'd prefer just seeing a happy rick living a good life with his kid living the good life.

Oh, they absolutely should end with a time forward showing Alexandria as the new capitol of a new nation that rises from the ashes, to maybe like 100-200 years later when humanity is actually rebuilding and it is revealed the next generation - Judith in particular - is actually immune to the zombie condition, and cannot contract it; they inherited immunity from their parents.

The world is reclaimed, Rick has a statue and is basically George Washington of the future, and we see some sort of museum dedicated to all that fell to restart civilization.

Seems like a really perfect ending to me, if they wanted to not suck. So they'll do the reverse of all of that.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Maybe have the main group minus Judith have to sacrifice themselves to pass on the "cure" information like I Am Legend did in the movie.

I honestly think that one random theory may in fact be true: That future generations cannot contract the zombie plague. It kind of makes sense, and it would be a huge pay off for why the series - both TV and comic - have kept a baby in them for so long. Judith seems like something easier to cut for TV if she weren't plot important.

I think one day she will get bit, this will be revealed, and that will offer a great lead in to an exit of the series. But I could be wrong. It'd be a good way to end things, though, in my opinion; it'd all but assure that everyone's struggle to insure the next generation's survival would ultimately be the tipping point for humanity to recover, with zombie bites becoming painful injuries, not death sentences, and no fear of reanimation behind your own walls.

brocked posted:

Especially since the only way to effectively demonstrate your immunity now is to die and not turn

Or get bitten in a critical area like right on the chest, and not show signs of infection.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 3, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MeLKoR posted:

but if I was that Dwight fellow Negan would have been toast a long time ago and we'd see what happened next.

Yeah I mean if you gave me access to automatic weapons and clear shots at his back all the time, he'd be pretty hosed.

Hell those guys are so pussy whipped if you capped off blowing him away with "I'M IN CHARGE NOW, BITCHES" they'd probably just roll with it since the prospect of not having a commander would scramble their brains.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Fascists are are a real thing, check them out :shrug:

Negan isn't a facist? :shrug: I mean I suppose on some level, but really he's a modern barbarian warlord.

Honestly if you want to look for the closest real world example, I recommend checking out some real world drug cartels.

Eccentric leader with bizarre, ridiculous dress style - Check
Insanely brutal murders to put people in line - Check
Strange cult-like paramilitary environment - Check
A big focus on taking trophies of murders to keep people in line - Check

I should note all of this is why a Cartel could have been an awesome Walking Dead enemy until Fear came along and made them a dozen loving idiots that are cool with people mouthing off to them constantly. But it's still the closest comparison to Negan.

ED: Also what Negan is effectively doing, right down to a name like The Saviors, is running a shakedown protection racket like the mafia. It's pretty dumb if he broke ALL his people, but his behavior isn't too far off.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Nov 12, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Remote Viewer posted:

I don't know why this episode needed to be 90 minutes. I was expecting something to happen because of the ep length but it was pretty much just 90min of showing what a whipped dog Rick is.

Seriously in all the times Negan has pulled this poo poo, has NOBODY loving shot at him?

I mean sure his gang might freak out and burn the place down, but come one. Just one. I'd laughed my rear end off if Maggie blew his head off with a sniper rifle. poo poo, I'd laughed y head off if Rick just bashed his head in the second he was alone with him, unarmed.

Negan's so overconfident that it hits the point of absolute absurd comedy. The writers think it's clever that he's being a "whipped dog, show much he's broken" but in reality all those people in town that weren't there.. really? Really?

Hell what the gently caress would he have done if:

Gate guard: "Who are you?"
Negan: "Cocky grin - 'haha you want to know who I am? Why don't you ask your s--"
*Negan is shot in the motherfucking face by the gate guard*

Hell, would his band even hold together long enough to do more than shoot up the walls at that point?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ProperCoochie posted:

I think Heath and Tara will return with the "something interesting" that Negan is demanding for his next visit.

I wonder what it's gonna be.

I bet Eugene reveals his ability to produce bullets to save someone's skull from being egged, probably Rosita given she's the one hiding guns.

Enderzero posted:

This whole thing is dumb as hell. The notion the writers are selling that they have no options, this is our life now is ridiculous when we've seen this group lose everything multiple times and move on. Not to mention the worst portrayal of a dictator I've ever seen. Real dictators don't walk around being smug as poo poo to their victims unless those victims are under armed guard. Real dictators get paranoid and worry about their inner circle more than anyone. Real dictators put big loving men between them and their subjects. Even under the threat of killing everyone, it only takes one time for Negan's act to piss someone off enough that they slice his loving throat. If I'm Negan I sure as hell don't show up to my new subjects land until after all weapons are taken.

None of it works. This is like if you tried to run a concentration camp where there are no permanent guards. In between scavenging, every moment would be devoted to planning an insurrection. You don't occupy a people by just showing up once a week. And the idea that this is how they stay alive; what happens the first time they have a bad week of scavenging and someone gets killed anyways? After a few get killed that way you might as well leave or just attack Negan. You can't tell me that his group would survive a leadership vacuum. This is an ultimate just so story, setup as a scenario by sadists who don't seem to know how people actually work. In other words, a comic writer.

The whole scene would have played immensely better if Steven Ogg's character had been in the Negan role this whole episode, but AMC wants their Negan saturation.

It'd solved so much. He could get away with being a smug poo poo to everyone because even if someone killed him, actual Negan would have murdered the poo poo out of the place without a doubt. That one change would have made at least this episode MUCH less dumb.

That said you're right. Who gives a poo poo if Michonne can't snipe? She had the right idea, you just need to get Maggie to do it, since she's shown that she already is OK with a scope.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 14, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

Even if you haven't read the comics, it should be obvious from the fact taht they're hiding Maggie that Rick has a plan, and probably a secret stash of weapons wherever Maggie is.

It's just super dumb that they didn't reveal that at the end of this episode. Because this show is terrible, they're probably going to do a whole episode of "people are mad at Rick for rolling over for Negan, oh no what's gonna happen" and then reveal the secret plan at the end of that episode.

Last we saw Maggie was going to Hilltop, which means she is still at Hilltop. There is no way in hell with the time given that she would have had time to hide guns, other than maybe the handguns she & Sasha had.

Guy Goodbody posted:

This was handled better in the comics. Mild spoilers from the comics that should be obvious given the Maggie's grave trick: Rick is planning to fight back. He acted like he was beat to make everyone in Alexandria think he was so nobody would give it away accidentally during Negan's visit. He explains that to all of them right after, because the Alexandrians were about to mutiny. But for some reason the show is putting that off. I guess so it can be a big twist later on in the season?

I never read the comic (though I did read your spoiler). I can say the Maggie grave thing isn't a spoiler for sure because motherfucking Rick thanks the priest for doing that; which means it was clearly Glenn or Abraham's body in that grave with a changed headstone. I mean this was obvious to anyone watching that scene I'd hope.

That said, knowing AMC they thought it'd be more dramatic if he was actually broken, so they can try to bring in more drama when he changes his mind; and as soon as Morgan gets back to tell him about The Kingdom the numbers thing shifts and he goes for it. Again never read the comic, this is based on AMC conjecture.

MeLKoR posted:

In a couple of months they're going to start taking women away and kick to death anyone who opposes because it's not like they even have weapons. That's how they live now.

e: I mean, that's literally what follows. They'll keep raising the tribute until they can't pay and then they'll have to pay with women. Anyone who opposes gets killed and that finally breaks any group solidarity between those that remain.

Yep. Even the Mafia knows that when you're running an extortion racket, you want to make sure the person you're shaking down for money they owe you can actually earn it. If you gently caress them up too badly or completely shatter their hope and will, they're not going to make money for you anymore.

Taking a bunch of handguns and ALL of the meds basically insures Alexandria will start losing people, and when that happens, they'll stop producing as much. I have to wonder how the gently caress they'll justify The Kingdom at this point, given their place never got raided.

quote:

e2: I'm the self-suficient teenage girl that had to be persuaded not to leave in the best of times but now I'm going to stick around and wait to be raped. Vote Rick!

It's been alluded to on the show, but from what I understand in this thread (minor spoiler that's been already referenced a few times) Negan has a personality quirk about hating 'rape' despite mind-loving women into his harem, and has a zero-tolerance policy on no means no. I have a feeling that'll get more strongly re-enforced later and my knowledge is second hand from the thread, but I hope they stick with it as it's an interesting quirk.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 14, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

VendaGoat posted:

JDM is doing a wonderful job. It's the writers loving poo poo up at the moment.

I just want to see more Steven Ogg.

Like I said before, it should have been him there in this last episode, not Negan. It'd been way smarter and he'd been plenty menacing. Even now I am WAY more intimidated by his character than Negan; Negan feels like a guy with as much a carefully constructed act as King Ezekiel; it's all grandstanding bullshit, where Ogg feels like he's legitimately a hair triggered mad dog.

Given we barely saw like 3 glimpses of him in the first episode, none in the Dwight episode and he wasn't there this episode, I have to wonder if his involvement in Westworld put him on ice.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So what was the dramatic point in the series to making Abraham into a total rear end in a top hat that hosed over Rosita for Sasha?

Is it all so they can grumble about who was his girlfriend or something? They seem to keep pushing Rosita feeling bad and somehow I feel like it would have been a lot more effective if one of the last things he did wasn't being a total prick. God I hope Rosita hangs around. She's developed an actual personality from a fodder start; maybe she's finally losing the red shirt.

The Archaic posted:

How awesome would this episode have been if they just bazooka'd the gate as soon as they saw Negan's silhouette and in the shock just hose the rest of his gang down in a hail of gunfire. 30 seconds to end this poo poo show.

I have to admit, given Negan himself personally showed the gently caress up (which is dumb as all hell) I am kind of surprised they didn't do that.

Everybody's dumb as gently caress in Walking Dead. Still I maintain that the Fear the Walking Dead crew make Rick's group look like merger of Sun Tzu and Patton.

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Yeah I don't understand why this show can't balance the storylines so we see multiple plot lines in an episode. Most other shows can balance the story this way.

Game of Thrones does a pretty good job of this. We don't see all the plot lines all of the time, but we do get to bounce around between a couple of them in most episodes, unless of course it's a real huge event-episode, and even those tend to have a check in with a few other plots (See the last couple episodes of this season).

It's really grating the way they do it here since even when it's a character you like, it's often not a GROUP you like. For example the Abraham + Sasha episode: Peanut Butter and poo poo, that was

ED: Quick poll, does anybody really like Sasha? Or is she literally the blandest character the show's ever produced? I can't be alone on this.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Nov 15, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

The real reason he got the deal is Negan probably said I will kill all of you if you don't pay half and Ezekiel immediately said ok.

I believe drat near the point of a toxx (I'm not actually going to toxx for this, because making sense is not AMC's strong suit) that the over-eager idiot kid Morgan is training had his father's head bashed in by Negan.

It was written all over that scene.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Has anyone else gave up watching? I actually pulled the plug and stopped after episode one. I felt conflicted because there really was a time it was one of my favorite shows on TV, probably up until around the time they got to Alexandria.

If only we were watching the Darabont version of this show yet, I bet it'd still rule.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

magpie posted:

All you folks talking about boring it is, how the hell did you stick around through the farm, the governor episodes, the beth episodes, the Morgan episode, and the teen/kid drama last season?

You're right. The show's become hilariously stupid, not boring. If you want boring go back to Season 2.

poo poo I will go ahead and say it now: Season 2 was worse than anything so far this season. It's poo poo. Anyone faulting it for just being boring needs to remember how loving stupid everyone was that season to; honestly Walking Dead has never had a season bottom out past the farm, even the worst lovely ones.

Does anyone remember Andrea's bullshit? Any of it?

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Enderzero posted:

What's their excuse for this season?

That AMC owns the show and will gently caress it anyway they want, any time they want.

Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Better Call Saul and the vast majority of things NOT Walking Dead on their network are co-owned IPs so AMC can be told no. Walking Dead properties don't get to say no.

ED: I get the feeling the writing room is more a corporate feedback meeting more than anything. At least it's not Fear, where I swear to God think the writers are high as loving kites (and I'm not even really joking). Nobody can be as dumb as the Fear writers sober.