Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
the delayed ep is on amcs DTV thing. it was pretty meh. i don't think i'm down for 30 more of these, the other two shows, a possible spin off show, and then whatever the movies plan is at this point. the premise of run into group, fight group, is just spinning wheels for me at this point

i didnt bother with the new shows pilot, no clue on that

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
In retrospect, it's wild that 193 issues of the comic are loving Shakespeare compared to the 177 episodes of television "adapting" it.

I will obviously hate watch the last season of FTWD because I can't even imagine what that show will look like with a no fucks given writers room considering what the previous seven were.

I can't even think of any other show that tonally changes every single season for no reason and isn't an anthology show. I don't mean to make that sound positive either, it isn't.

I really do not give a poo poo about these 3 upcoming spinoffs, the lore they've created driving them is dumb as gently caress.

the daryl show is set in france, where the virus originated. that's right, there's a virus backstory i'm sure none of you remember or give a gently caress about, so here's a show for that.

did you like the whole helicopter circle people thing where you find out a whole region of people with normal tech exist that aren't the commonwealth but also turn out to be assholes? no? well too bad, that's a rick spin-off, so have fun.

also maggie and negan in manhattan! watch them sneer at each other in subway tunnels, just like they did on the last show. everyone's favorite scenes!

that world beyond spin off btw was probably the most painful of all of this stuff, which was a new level of impressive. as bad as the rest of it was, that one took a few attempts to slog through.

like ffs amc, you could have just had the main show, maybe not padded it out and trotted it around like a bear you force to dance and let it lose a poo poo ton of viewers, and then just kept it to a black mirror-style anthology show (the only spin off not dreadful) where you let interesting creators play around with the property.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Ratings wise the start of this thread (negan kills glenn/s7 premiere) was 21 million, the series finale ep was 3 mil, which is double what it normally gets at this point. No wonder the thread is comatose.

Some final season FTWD spoilers I guess? How do you even spoil a show that looks like madlibs wrote the plot

12 eps, typical split season, including a 7-year time jump that would put it in line with TWD.

So yeah, canceled, but then split into four or five 6-episode arcs that are just a pseudo season 12 anyway without the cast of 57 actors to pay. This thing will never fuckin' die.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Cat Hassler posted:

It’s taken months but finally finished The Walking Dead after starting from Season 1 Episode 1

“Well, that’s over” is my initial reaction lol

Good news, there's a spinoff with 8 seasons, and now three new spinoffs on top of that.

It never ends, the viewer is truly the walking dead.

Run. Run and never look back.

or like read the book and play the telltale games, it's like the thing you just saw but done better.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
well that's fair...

this is how the comics end:

rick continues to be the main character well past when he exits in the show version, and once the group is mid commonwealth arc is murdered out of nowhere out of jealousy by sebastian, the following issue and final one, the 193rd, time skips ahead 25 years to a grown-up carl and a world almost rid of the zombies (they are much rarer) and acts as an epilogue of sorts of where each character ends up..for instance, michonne evolves into a judge from her lawyer past, eugene creates a railroad system to link survivor communities coast to coast, etc etc etc.

It beats the weak rear end TV finale that just sets up various spin offs that come out this year/next.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

JossiRossi posted:

It also was a real jerk move to comic book sellers, who were all caught out and caused some problems if I recall?

Yeah, there's a previews catalog every month that you place orders from, that shows you what's coming out in 3 months with a cover and usually a vague synopsis. So they had a few issues that didn't exist in there, complete with covers drawn up that showed events that obviously would never happen given the book would be over.

To be fair, that last issue got multiple printings and was sought after when it dropped due to the sort of surprise nature, though it was kind of spoiled quickly thanks to the internet. I'm sure anyone salty that they had pre-ordered non-existent issues was cool with getting even more limited run later printings of the final issue instead..I think that final issue first printing hit $30 bucks or so instantly on a 3 or 4-dollar cover price so flippers got involved..it was a whole thing.

There's a pretty heartfelt letter from Kirkman at the end of the book explaining why he did it this way, sorry about that and all his thoughts on why this was the natural ending point.

Then you have the tv universe that will never end as long as it gets any sort of ratings, and it dipped but then came back for the series finale..sooo enjoy spin offs forever

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

ruddiger posted:

It hosed up the speculator market so they couldn’t price gouge people in real time on the last book.

sort of? but not really

the book was 16 years and 190~ issues in, so the shop orders at that point weren't anything crazy..meaning most shops would get enough to fill subscriber orders and then some floor copies for walk-ins...when the news leaked right before the book was out, people tried to buy up all the copies and shops were pissed that they didn't know and couldn't order enough to supply the walk-in demand (of speculators)..the book itself was a 30 dollar book pretty fast, just for that..I think it corrected kinda fast, especially when the later printings came out and people could actually read the thing.

In retrospect, the first issue and the issue introducing michonne (19) are the ones that have had any real value. The first issue, because the thing had such low circulation to start (and only really hit some dumb highs in the early days of the TV universe) and the michonne one because she ended up being the most popular character..or the one that people resonated with the most, from the book anyway.

They are also slowly releasing the book in reprint form as "the walking dead deluxe", but colored instead of the original black and white and are up to the #60's at this point, so if you haven't read the thing, you might consider the newer form of it which will eventually finish up in a few years. The color treatment is really impressive, but I feel for any completionist rebuying the poo poo yet again.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I'd like to take a moment to thank kirkman for never trying to delve into why the zombies happened, unlike this hack-rear end tv universe. Could you have missed the entire point any harder?