Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I stopped watching FTWD after the first season because it was abysmal, I think that's enough of TWD for me as well now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

No Luck Needed posted:

http://comicbook.com/thewalkingdead/2017/10/22/the-walking-dead-season-8-cast-salary/#3 cast salaries increase

https://mic.com/articles/161740/here-s-how-much-it-costs-to-make-an-episode-of-the-walking-dead#.LulHLTFiq budget cuts while high price per ad

Andrew Lincoln went from $92,000 per episode to $618,000 per, net change of +$526,000

Dang, that's a huge amount for a British actor. You wouldn't even earn that in a year with Britain's most popular shows (maybe the odd chat show?).

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I returned to carry on with the series - I watch most TV with my wife but I'm not going to subject her to this. You definitely can't mock people for not paying attention while watching the show any more, no-one should have to give it their undivided attention.

The things that stood out the most to me...
Ezekiel's actor's been trying really hard but has really been let down by the story. That bit where they declare that they will win because they have strategy... and what's the strategy? Walk right into the arms of the EVIL enemy and pretend to surrender. But why would Negan's evil army accept the surrender and let their guard down? It's such an obnoxious cliche in so many action shows, how the bad guys just want to take people prisoner and that is invariably their undoing. Meanwhile Our Heroes really have to hold themselves back from executing everyone on the spot, and are usually proved wrong when they do.

At least with Morales there was a justification in not outright killing Rick, they had some history and Negan wanted Rick for himself. I think his actor must've watched a lot of Peter Stormare, I got a lot of the same vibes, like the way his lower teeth stick up at the front of his mouth, and the over-pronunciation. His introduction was good, a quasi-tense sneak down a corridor, and I actually jumped a little when Morales' appeared. But then he did literally come out of nowhere so I don't mind admitting they got me. We don't just get teleporting zombies any more, then the same happened with Kingdom axe dude. He must've made a ton of noise as he approached, plus he roar but nooope, get bifurcked duuuude. To counter teleporting side-characters, the zombies could never quite catch up with Ezekiel, no matter how close they seemed, no matter how many times they stopped to pontificate for 30 seconds, and no matter how much Ezekiel had to limp. Much they should've tried rolling instead? I think they could have saved the series if they started calling them rollers instead of walkers.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Blazing Ownager posted:

I'd laugh if someone just got the flu at the wrong time on Walking Dead and everyone preps to shoot them for being a Walker

Think they did that in season 3 when some prison goon got sick, died and zombified

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

precision posted:

lmao so another episode where nothing happened

S7 is the new S2

I liked the shout-out to season 2 when Carol talked about kids getting lost in the woods and coming back as monsters. They knew how to drag out a story back then!

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I will not be surprised if Carl survives, either from it actually being a Whisperer bite, random bullshit immunity or [other].

Facebook kindly spoiled that Carl was going to die in the trending sidebar before anyone in the UK could legally watch it, if I hadn't heavily suspected and if the show was still any good I would be really annoyed.

quote:

"The Walking Dead: Yes, they really did just kill him.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
He probably mentioned wanting to go to college at some point so the producers decided to get rid of him before he would quit.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

warcrimes posted:

This is really really dumb. Toss another really in there. Remember the Polaroids of crushed heads?

Yeah, a completely forced way to convince the viewer that it's totally fine to kill all these guys in their sleep. I remember playing a dystopian video game where I was encouraged to murder some guys and steal their stuff, and it was a-okay because I found something that suggested they were paedophiles. But remember: the guys in The Walking Dead were going to murder all those people in their sleep either way.

In the last episode, the Saviours captured Maggie et al and then murdered Neil in response to having dozens more of their own guys killed, but let the rest go. So Maggie then murdered a POW in response and is preparing to kill the rest, too. The show will probably only make the really naughty captives die at this point, like the one who pretended to surrender (if that's evil, then so was the Kingdom in the same day), and the one who's continued to antagonise everyone, but it's still what it is.

It's not that the Saviours are the good guys, it's more that at this point they really should have killed at least 75% of the good guys, not to make a point but just to try and survive. As upsetting as it would be if a few more Neils died.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Every time the "bad guys" capture some of Our Heroes, who escape and massacre the bad guys my eyes roll a little harder than they did the last time. Someone please, waste a bullet on me.

I can kinda understand trying to capture Rick to please Negan. But surely Morgan is on everyone's "Holy Christ kill this guy as soon as you see him, do not gently caress around or you will not make it to the end of the episode" list. I'm sad I read that he's going to FTWD, his arc could have some meaning if he ever had some comeuppance for his actions, which are bordering on genocide.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Blazing Ownager posted:

Don't be sad. Fear is the far, far superior show now. All of the preview stuff I've heard sounds like even with the new show runners, it's still the far, far superior show.

If you checked out of it at season 1/2 it's improved leaps and bounds.

I did check out on season 2, I will probably catch back up at some point, but if he turns up in that show as the same god-mode character I will be sad about it. If they redeem him, it might be ok...

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Binary Logic posted:

That's the same baseball bat that's already bashed in multiple human skulls, countless zombies, spent a few hours soaking in blood, AND set on fire?!

It would be great if the next time Negan swings it, it snaps or splinters apart. drat bat's got stronger plot armour than the man carrying it.

I thought maybe she'd dissolved the bat, and I just hadn't been paying attention so I'd missed it. This is the kinda show that doesn't really hold your attention all that well...

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
The flow of the show is just so bad. Those scenes with forest guy are awful, having him roll around in the mud, or fight a pack of zombies, just... what... why? Blimey.

Still appreciating the limitless numbers of saviours, so much that they can just kill a bunch of their own like it's nothing. Can't wait for Negan's plan to backfire, just as he thinks he has Rick the reinforcements will arrive and he'll retreat, shaking his fist. And onto the next season!

If Mr. Ogg is upset at how he got written off, it'd explain why his zombie acting was so comical, at least.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Blazing Ownager posted:

What, you don't think spending 3-4 years on a 2 week period in time is a good flow??

Watching this show is like watching a whole scene played in slow motion over dozens of episodes

That reminds me, will the next season of Attack on Titan ever come to Netflix...

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Binary Logic posted:

Logrolling in our time

I love how this verifies that skulls are absolutely the squishiest part of the zombie body.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Binary Logic posted:

Yeah, these zombies are so unrealistic, not like the more biologically accurate portrayal of zombies in that other show LOL.

A regular complaint is that zombies should freeze in winter, meaning each year the North should be completely freed of them. But okay, we've ignored that so that the concept of the threat can continue. Except that in the last episode they showed that zombies will literally freeze and can have their heads shattered with ease... so, other than hibernation or mass migration, how do literally any zombies still remain in the TV show at this stage?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
That's crazy, came out of nowhere. Must be sick of the bloody thing!

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
It was a good episode, looks like they're no longer relying on comic stories so they'll make their own way. Or they did a good first episode to reel us in and the rest will be awful and slow...

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Eugene signing over the radio like Dustin in Stranger Things

Also they totally watched the terrible GoT battle of Winterfell and realised how easy it is to make a better battle scene (but kept the darkness because lol budgets)

Marmaduke! fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 11, 2020

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Ego-bot posted:

I stopped watching, has anyone important died or gone back to their home planet?

They're on the way to the fireworks factory

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Whoa now, if you want that kinda thing you'll have to read World War Z.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Give them time...

I've now watched the first three Beyond episodes. First was decent enough, nice world building. The second, not great, reliance on inexperienced actors started grating. Third episode though, time to abandon ship.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I finished the main series, then realised there's a bunch more spinoffs... Second episode of the Tales anthology type series has to be the worst Walking Dead episode ever, right?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I like the concept but not in TWD but it's not like I need to treat TWD with such reverence. I think I watched 5 minutes of a later Tales episode before switching it off as it was even wors... I'll work through Dead City slowly though.

Also had a lol/roll eyes about a Fear TWD spoiler I read. Not anything unsurprising of course...

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
So it's all over (again), what's next?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
You could tell they were thinking about Glenning that part but luckily not much time to waste so they revealed he survived - as we all knew - within a minute or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Pillowpants posted:

My nitpick is that they're based in Philly - they're wiping out colonies on the West Coast because of large million zombie armies, but they're somehow not aware of the Commonwealth or some evil lady running New York with Negan, or whatever the hell it is they're doing in France?

They did say they have spies embedded within a lot of communities. And since they all suck and almost always make Terrible decisions, it could be argued that this is CRM's doing...