Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Blazing Ownager posted:

Remember back in the pilot when they'd pick up bricks and pipes to use as clubbing weapons and smash barricades? And that they could figure out how to climb ladders and stuff? I have no idea why they nerfed the zombies so loving hard. They were immensely more dangerous like that, and thus easier to write as actual threats.

The justification for that is easy; the zombies degraded over time. A while has passed, and their brains are only getting worse and worse.

Plus, I don't really mind them being nerfed; otherwise I can't see how all these survivors would be able to hold out against the giant hordes we see on T.V.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

moist turtleneck posted:

in other news, people on Reddit are still more retarded than us if they think this was mind blowing

I especially like the guy putting his name on the bottom of the pic like it's a loving thesis

I...don't get the issue? The guy was clever enough to notice that the line was a callback to two seasons ago, and I never noticed that till now. I thought it was neat! What's wrong with this Reddit user?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

For all of the nonsense that happened in the last 10-15 pages or so (rape can express itself in more ways than just brute force molestation; I hope Eyochigan is starting to understand that), I do really like this post;

It shows us something very important; it shows us one of the reasons WHY Negan seems to have the support he does. For the person who DOES buy into everything he preaches, is a productive worker who gets points in the way they're expected to, and is willing to compromise on their principles...life doesn't seem so bad. And considering how much Negan seems to respect strength (even from those that try to KILL him!), he probably treats his soldiers well. So he actually does have popular support among his military. Even if everyone else hates his guts, his military and fans are loyal enough to protect him. Or at least, that's the vibe I get from this panel here.

Are there any more comic panels like this that the show has skipped over so far? Panels that show the perks of being a Neganite? They seem like really important panels that should not have been dropped from the show.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 13, 2016

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Blazing Ownager posted:

But he was also inconsistent in abilities. I have no idea why the Governor was like, super loving strong. It made no sense with the presented character: I mean he decided to take Merle in a fist fight, and motherfucking won. Seriously. The only way that scene SHOULD have played out is that he tries it, Merle beat the utter poo poo out of him and he had his men shoot him. Because seriously, why was he stronger in hand to hand than Merle? Why would he even take the risk?

1) He caught Merle by surprise, while he was already pre-occupied. Studies show that most fights are won by the person who hits first, for a variety of reasons.

2) Merle didn't have a right hand; he had a short blade. Such a blade is only deadly if he manages to stab the Governor; slashes are actually not that dangerous. Merle could have slashed the Governor on the forearm, and it wouldn't have done any lasting damage (just try cutting a shirt with a knife; it won't likely do anything unless you stab the shirt). So the Governor had two hands to Merle's one.

3) The Governor could have had some sort of military background. The only thing we know about his former job is that he had a boss that was "half his age, and even less intelligent". Said boss could have been a military officer for all we know.

4) Even if the above isn't true, the Governor came from an abusive family. He's very likely to have learned the ABC's of violence from growing up in such an environment.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Blazing Ownager posted:

No he didn't - he got in the room, told his men to let him handle this, then pretty much engaged a now prepared Merle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpJJJrKwF8I

...How is that, in any way, a "prepared Merle"?

Blazing Ownager posted:

You mean the knife he repeatedly slammed clean through the heads of zombies and survivors alike?

Yes. The one he slammed through the heads of weak, slow, "fragile as paper mache" zombies by stabbing them. Merle never had the CHANCE to do that to the Governor. The Governor never gave him a chance to breath; he never gave Merle the chance to DO anything other than uselessly flail his arms around. Merle would have needed to be standing straight, he would have needed enough distance TO stab (as opposed to having been pressed up against a wall), and he would have needed to NOT have gotten his ribs kicked in before he even had the chance to fight back.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Maybe as a desk clerk given his strategy of "mob charge in wildly shooting and completely out of my control with no battle plan" in both assaults

...Ok, I'll grant you that. Maybe he got some kind of martial arts training then, with some firearms on the side?

Blazing Ownager posted:

He never acted like an abusive spouse kind of guy, just someone who randomly does evil things for evil reasons because evil, but then does things that aren't evil because "depth." But then evil again.

My point was that his violent upbringing might have forged him into a more capable fighter than he might otherwise have been. His character may be inconsistent in other ways (I also hated how they threw away his redemption arc), but I don't see anything nonsensical about him being a good fighter. Heck, the guy probably got into some fights in his youth just out of virtue of being a twisted psycho.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Dec 13, 2016

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Blazing Ownager posted:

If they wanted to do something cool, the whole reason he didn't want to go is he's actually installing bombs throughout the whole place to re-enact the scene from V from Vendetta except set to Easy Street

Seriously if there is an extended sequence of Negan's whole place blowing up while Eugene just cranks that song through the PA, season redeemed

That...might actually happen! Remember, one of Eugene's scenes involved him showing Negan's wives how to produce a small scale bomb. I thought nothing of it, but now that I think of it...what if that's foreshadowing?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr posted:

So who's negan's little birdy? Gregory hadn't visited the saviors yet so it has to be someone else. The trash queen maybe?

You know what? I just realized who it was; and if I turn out to be right, this may be an example of pretty clever foreshadowing (despite whatever faults the rest of the show has).

Remember last night's episode? The one where Gregory and Simon got to talking? And Gregory was all "hey man, there might be some rabble-rousers gunning for my seat, and they don't play nice like I do"? And then Simon gave him that handwritten note to where he could go if he had any concerns?

Well, I think that's what happened. That whole scene, as well as the one in today's episode (where he takes out a handwritten note and asks Kal for a local road map), was all build up to him being the snitch. It wasn't Eugene who sold them out, it was Gregory.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 28, 2017

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

some guy on the bus posted:

Lol, do they really expect people to remember that episode? They actually think some people stayed awake until the end?

Hey, I'm a fan of this show, so I was able to. Something Awful doesn't represent EVERYONE you know ;) .

EDIT: That said though, this season IS getting a little repetitive. And I wasn't terribly thrilled about what Alexandria did to Oceanside either. They're BASICALLY proving them right in why they needed to murder everyone who found their village, and I hate it when that happens in a show.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 28, 2017

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Blazing Ownager posted:

The only way to enjoy the final battle is to watch the behind the scenes stuff without CGI because instead of a enemy-seeking Tiger, he has a blue version of Green Man from always Sunny fanatically leaping on his enemies and it's much better. It should be canon.

Is there any kind of fully filmed version of that, instead of still images? Because that would be a RIOT to see play out :D !

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

So uh...who's Geoff? Did they ever talk about this guy before presenting his head? I mean...did I miss something?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

I have to ask...who the heck WAS Geoff? Why was the daughter asking about him? I don't remember his name ever coming up before she entered that "Bible study".

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

LadyPictureShow posted:

If I remember right, when Alicia got invited to the 'bible study' the blonde girl mentioned Geoff. When asked about him, they explained he was the first zombie that stumbled near to the camp, and Troy beheaded it.

Guess they might have known him preapocalypse, or that they just arbitrarily gave him a name, kept the head, and get hosed up and dick around with it like some poor man's Oujia board for kicks.

Cool! Thank you so much for the response!

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Hey guys! There's this one funny GIF I'm trying to find of how Chris died; one showcasing how insanely bad the continuity was. Chris is driving with the other two guys in the back, the car flips over, Chris is crawling in pain...and somehow the other two guys teleport right behind him, having somehow not been flattened into a pancake in the car flip.

Does anyone remember that GIF? It was posted in one of the two Dead threads, but I can't find where it is.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Aha! Here it is! Once you told me Turtleneck made it, it was a right cinch to find!

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 3, 2017

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Alright, so...since the show has clearly deteriorated in quality recently...I've got a question.

What happened? Like, for those who have stuck around for a long time...where did the turning point come? People analyze the Simpsons, trying to analyze when it "jumped the shark", or started to deteriorate...so what about with Walking Dead? What went wrong, and why? Which hiring decision ended up biting them in the butt?

That, and more, would legit interest me.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

You know, watching the Season 8, Episode 4 car chase scene again...it's actually not as bad as I remembered. There were definitely moments that were bad, but looking back on it now, in a vacuum...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRMzQk7MzSs

I love the soundtrack here. And while the vehicles did seem unusually slow back when I first watched it, it kind of makes sense if you think about it. Rick doesn't want the savior guy crashing his truck into his own car, and knocking him off the road. Savior guy, for his part, is watching for his opportunity to do just that.

So, Savior guy, figuring out that neither Rick nor Daryl seem to have much in the way of firearms, intentionally slows down so he and his machine-gun buddy can exterminate the two. When machine gun guy gets killed, he slows down again, hoping that Rick will be dumb enough to try and pass him. Rick sees that coming, and starts pumping the brakes on 1:50 (which is why Rick's brake lights keep coming on and off in said time stamp).

Then...I dunno. Savior guy kind of spaces out, misses the opportunity to run Rick off the road when Rick DOES finally drive up to his side, and Rick...somehow manages to keep his car at the EXACT same speed his is, while making a jump that I'm not sure should even be possible, given how physics work. So, that was pretty stupid.

Still...I think the scene makes a lot more sense when you realize "wait a minute, the saviors aren't TRYING to escape from Rick and Daryl. They're trying to exterminate them". What do you guys thing?

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 23, 2018

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

CODChimera posted:

Do the tigers death scene next.

Ok, yeah, I got nothin'. I'm a deep thinker and optimist, not a miracle worker :shrug: .

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 26, 2018

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Gortarius posted:

I think what the people making this show set out to do was to try and top the previous poo poo scene with an even worse pile of garbage. But the episode did ask us, the viewers, some very philosophical questions:

Well, let's see if I can help the two of us figure it out. Heaven's knows we don't want the show to fall any further than it already has...

Gortarius posted:

Where the gently caress did the farmville doctor suddenly appear from, and why the gently caress is she running her mouth off to some volunteer? No I must have seasoned doctors only in my apocalypse trailer, get the gently caress out!

She was testing him; seeing if he had any backbone. That's why she immediately changed her mind the instant he spoke up for himself. He showed that he had enough confidence in his own skills to work under pressure.

Gortarius posted:

Is it possible to drive into your enemies with a motorcycle while firing a uzi or whatever onehanded and be successful? Yes.

Yeah...not gonna defend that one.

Gortarius posted:

Why does Carl 2.0 exist? He sucks, both the character and the actor. He is stupid even for the shows standards.

Perhaps to take over for some of Carl's plotlines, later in the comic book? Kinda like how Michonne kinda took Andrea's place as Rick's love interest?

Gortarius posted:

Where did Negan get a band of archers to work for him? He must have quite the network; not only does he have an infinite number of goons, he has also had evil lumberjacks and a motorcycle gang all work for him in previous seasons. Wow.

Wait, what are you talking about? I saw Dwight shoot Darryl's crossbow, but, I didn't see any other arrow firing.

Gortarius posted:

Someone got stabbed in the chest and all I could think of was "Who?". He looked sorta like the giant Carol used to hang out with but it's been so long... oh it was him. Oh and he died... If only they had someone looking after the injured but instead they all passed out on the floor right next to the open front door. Tobin's stealthkill rampage would have been short-lived if it wasn't for that idiot Rick who said that it's too hot to keep the windows closed, so I guess he left the door open too. You know, after they just had a skirmish and said they don't have the resources to defend themselves from another attack.

Yep. Show has way too many characters :cheeky: .

Gortarius posted:

Speaking of Tobin, I thought Tobin was the name of that wall engineer who jumped into a zombies mouth many seasons ago. Another great plan by Rick that went to hell.

To be fair, stuff like that is why Rick tends to make a habit of delegating jobs to other people. Giving up sole control of the group to form a council in Season 3, letting Alexandria's leader (back when she was still alive) call the shots while he served as police officer, and then declaring that he'd let Maggie be the leader after the war ends.

The guy's always been more of a warrior than a thinker; and his willingness to acknowledge that is part of what separated him from Shane (why do fans insist he'd make such a better leader, anyway? Dude had no control over himself; he was far too erratic and self-destructive)

Gortarius posted:

There was also this scene of Maggie moping around in some poo poo cemetery and then there was this scene of Maggie moping around in some poo poo cemetery. I thought I had maybe suffered a stroke or a time warp but no, there's two almost identical scenes in this episode.

:sigh:

Gortarius posted:

Finally, I think Rick rejecting to get his wound treated twice is going to be some epic plot point later on. Just like the blue paint on simon's shoe. It'll all come together...

I really hope not. The show seems to really like teasing comic book fans with that particular possibility; and I've gotten kinda tired of it.

Gortarius posted:

What a load of horse patoot.

Eh, better than previous episodes at least. Something actually happened, for one.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 27, 2018

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

JossiRossi posted:

For real, are we supposed to be happy Rick won? Negan is clearly considering Coral's path forward. He wants the kid to be wrong, but it's there in his eyes. You could have had this be a moment of compromise and reconciliation.

You know, there's a lot of things wrong with this show right now...but Rick's decision is not one of them.

Remember the Governor? Remember Shane? Remember how they very briefly tried to do things another way? Remember how disasterously those both ended up?

Well unfortunately, that's the way things tend to be with anyone who tries to live such a radically different life. Whether it's recovering alcoholics, thieves, career criminals, those with anorexia, narcissists... Their transformation tends to be a complicated, messy, and infuriatingly slow process with plenty of relapses along the way. Even when they actually stick to it (and even THAT'S a pretty big assumption), it will often take like, 10+ years before they've given up their ways completely.

It's part of the reason why our prison system has gotten as bloated as it has. Most criminals CAN change, given the right circumstances...but helping just one of them involves a ton of time, money, and effort invested into helping them through each and every one of their own unique daddy/mommy issues, their own unique mental disorders, and their own unique personality flaws.

Yes; Negan briefly showed regret and remorse in that one fleeting moment. But that's one moment against two whole seasons of dominating, killing, and mentally breaking people while smiling like the Cheshire Cat.

THIS, is what his "saving people" generally looked like...

Negan Wants to Bang Maggie

...and this...

Negan Kills Spencer and Smiles About It

...as well as this...

Negan Tells Daryl About Dwight's Backstory

...with a bit of this on top, for good measure...

Negan Kisses Dwight's Wife in Front of Him

...complete with a lovely review from someone else about what life under Negan is like!

Gordon Begs Dwight to Kill Him

Negan wasn't just brutal. He actively enjoyed a lot of what he did. And even if he didn't, he and Rick were still in the middle of a war. Rick didn't reasonably have a lot of options BUT to either kill him, jail him, or cripple him in some way. The guy was just too dangerous.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

...Is it me, or did that horse INTENTIONALLY drop Rick onto that rebar? Looking at that GIF the way Moist presents it, it seems like it did it on purpose, then casually sauntered to that spot once it was done :mmmhmm:

Go on Moist, make some dialogue boxes for that horses, too!