Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

LadyPictureShow posted:

Joe Toye had a tank in season 4. Daryl managed to one-shot it with a grenade.

Daryl is the poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Acacia REI posted:

Aside from the weird sickness they had going through the prison, does anyone in this show ever die from anything other than injuries (like walker bites or just being straight up murdered by someone)? You'd think in an apocalyptic scenario there would be more cases of, like, dysentery and botulism and whatnot.

Lori died in labor

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Luvcow posted:

I was hoping for more of a diarrhea storyline, maybe a riot starts over people hoarding toilet paper

I saw an anime series about a bunch of girls crewing a battleship. One episode was about them running out of toilet paper because they had only brought on board enough toilet paper for toilet purposes and the girls were using it for other stuff.

So it's been done.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can't wait for the return of The Talking Dead

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

On Terra Firma posted:

This scene is going to twist my stomach into knots no matter who bites it. On one hand I want it to be brutal to stay true to the comic, but on the other I could do without TV shows having a preoccupation with having characters heads smashed in.

I don't think you need to spoil that. I think even people completely unaware of the comics will have assumed that somebody got their head smashed in based on the season finale

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like the Kingdom and the people in it a lot.

But I was tired of suicidal Carol last season, and I'm even more tired of it now.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

moist turtleneck posted:

Humans hunted animals by exhausting them and zombies don't have to breathe

Humans hunted animals to exhaustion by tracking them. and being very good long distance runners. Zombies move at a slow shuffle and can't pick up a trail. Animals just need to get out of view of a zombie and they're afe

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's no reason walker meat would be any more dangerous than regular human meat at the same state of decomposition.

By now there really should be a new strain of vulture behavior. Aggressive vultures that take chunks out of zombies while they're still moving.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blazing Ownager posted:

So really, really, really, really loving dangerous, then?

Not for pigs and crows and poo poo

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

MeLKoR posted:

As for the things you can't really think too much about :
  • if they wanted to poison the meat then smearing human poo poo on just one of the carcasses legs would be much more effective. kill a couple each time, maybe it could even spread between themselves given the probably rudimentary sewage disposal in their camp. it's not like the Saviours would expect 100% sanitary meat given the conditions of slaughter and transport. such a shame.

Yeah if the saviors got food poisoning from that pork, they'd be cool with it. The Saviors seem like a even-keeled bunch

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

MeLKoR posted:

I'm not saying they should poison every carcass, just pieces of one, maybe not even in every delivery. It's the apocalypse, people would be getting food poisoning all the time. A couple of guys die one day, who knows why. Plenty of people ate meat and didn't get sick.

If this was an attempted poisoning what where they expecting would happen if a couple of people turned to zombies after eating? No question what had happened there.

As coyo7e said, it was probably a gently caress you not an attempted poisoning, and, once again, if the food you give the Saviours makes them sick, I don't think they're gonna be happy about that. I think they'll bash someones' brain in or make you Abraham and Isaac a kid

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The really stupid part of the spite zombie feeding is that the pigs the delivered were butchered. So the Kingdom dudes were the ones that had to clean out the zombie filled pig guts.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I wouldn't mind something like that. I think a "everybody dies" with no hope for the rest of the world ending would just piss everyone off. I think them finding a real safe zone, not Alexandria v2.1, something like the one in 28 Weeks Later (before the kids gently caress it up) is kind of the only satisfying way to do it. Maybe have the main group minus Judith have to sacrifice themselves to pass on the "cure" information like I Am Legend did in the movie.

I'd still have questions like how a well-established large safe zone wouldn't have found that out for themselves already, but at least it would be an ending - not a guarantee that things will go back to normal, but at least a possibility. Anything but this endless loop of "we found a safe place, but Rick doesn't think it's safe enough and gets everyone killed and the town destroyed". The Kingdom only looks nice now because Rick hasn't shown up.

I wouldn't mind a time-skip epilogue. Title card comes up, "50 years later", you see an Alexandria that's grown a lot, somebody makes a comment about not having seen a walker in a long time, etc.

MeLKoR posted:

From what we saw the new generation of imune children will do pretty well just feasting on wild pigs. Seriously, pigs are loving vicious, in 10 years time you couldn't shake a stick without hitting a pig.

e: also, dogs

There's a book called Earth Abides that deals with that really well. A couple years after the apocalypse all the survivors are eating venison because there are deer everywhere. The year after that, nobody goes far from home without a gun, because there are mountain lions everywhere. The year after that, nobody leaves their house without a gun because the mountain lions ate most of the deer and now the mountain lions are starving. A few years later things have balanced out.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I liked the Kingdom episode the best so far, because it's been the only episode this season that didn't feel like they just padded out 25 minutes to somehow fill an hour

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blow posted:

I have EASY STREET stuck in my head.

I watched the last episode somewhat drugfucked last night. It took about 3 hours 'cos I had to keep rewinding it. So I kept replaying Daryl's misery. And re-watched it again this morning.

I went to sleep with Easy Street in my head, and woke up with it. I've been trying to flush it out with other tunes, but it's loving locked in.

This is guaranteed to get any song out of your head

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Astrofig posted:

At least Negan doesn't condone rape; that's a plus and frankly more than I'd have expected from these particular writers.

That was a thing in the comics too. I think it was to help differentiate him from the Governor

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
This was handled better in the comics. Mild spoilers from the comics that should be obvious given the Maggie's grave trick: Rick is planning to fight back. He acted like he was beat to make everyone in Alexandria think he was so nobody would give it away accidentally during Negan's visit. He explains that to all of them right after, because the Alexandrians were about to mutiny. But for some reason the show is putting that off. I guess so it can be a big twist later on in the season?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

MeLKoR posted:

That doesn't invalidate the "keeping a fake record and secret stash of weapons" or "hide most of the medicine" or why none of those people that he didn't let in on the plan blast Negan away.

It's been awhile since I read the comics, but I'm pretty sure they did keep a secret stash. And Rick had a harder time keeping the Alexandrians under control.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Even if you haven't read the comics, it should be obvious from the fact taht they're hiding Maggie that Rick has a plan, and probably a secret stash of weapons wherever Maggie is.

It's just super dumb that they didn't reveal that at the end of this episode. Because this show is terrible, they're probably going to do a whole episode of "people are mad at Rick for rolling over for Negan, oh no what's gonna happen" and then reveal the secret plan at the end of that episode.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blazing Ownager posted:

I bet Eugene reveals his ability to produce bullets to save someone's skull from being egged, probably Rosita given she's the one hiding guns.

That remind me, why the hell was Eugene trying to fix a MP3 player? Just go to a Big Lots, there'll be hundreds of the drat things still in the box

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

a shameful boehner posted:

Anecdotal, but the commercial breaks seem to have increased in length and frequency.

At one point over the last few episodes, I counted approximately 5 minutes of show to 3 minutes of commercial.

It's loving stupid, and the editing suffers all the more for it.

I don't know how people could watch this show live anymore.

The episode ran for an hour and a half on broadcast, right? With the commercials edited out, the episode is one hour long.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Filthy Hans posted:

Abraham jilting Rosita was just another example of a character's hopes and plans being dashed. The central theme of TWD is despair, no one can be happy, no one's plans are sustainable, there's no hope in the zombie wasteland. If they wanted to be literate someone on the show could quote Robert Burns: "The best laid plans of mice and men gang aft a-gley, and leave us not but grief and pain for promised joy." Not a single character is smart enough to know something like that, though, and the writers are hacks anyway.

Because of the sunk cost fallacy I don't think anything could actually make me stop watching this show at this point. But a character saying something had "gang aft a-gley" might

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

No Luck Needed posted:

Commando Carol? That was awesome, she went metal gear solid on those cannibals.

And the Terminus survivors chased them for a couple more episodes. So the resolution to Terminus wasn't even one episode, it was the opposite of that. multiple episodes.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ehud posted:

I kind of miss flashback episodes. Maybe we could get one about Negan before the outbreak and it's just about him being the star player for his company softball team and in one of the scenes he's walking to the on deck circle and one of his teammates says, "Negan! Negan! You forgot Lucille." and then he hands Negan his bat and Negan winks at the camera.

Oh god don't give them ideas. You know if AMC thought they could get away with it they'd do a whole season set before the outbreak just to save money on sets and makeup

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Binary Logic posted:

Glad I'm not the only one bumpuzzled by this.

Carol wanted to go off by herself and die.
Then she got shot and was going to die but Morgan rescued her and she was going to live in the Kingdom.
Then decided she was going to leave the Kingdom and die.
Now decided to sort of leave the Kingdom but stay close, and maybe live for a while.

Does anyone have better synopsis and explanation for Carol's current motivations / state of mind?

Basically she doesn't want to be crazy murder Carol, but she recognizes that in order to stay alive and keep her friends safe, she needs to be crazy murder carol. Therefore, the only way to not be the person she doesn't want to be, she has to cut herself from others and go off to die alone. But she also naturally wants to stay alive and keep connecting with others.

So that's her deal, she's vacillating between her desire to survive and her desire to not be the person she has to be to survive.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

MeLKoR posted:

Which doesn't change the fact that breaking down less than 3 days into your hunger strike seems a pretty poor showing for Daryl.

If Negan showed up at Alexandria 3 days after he took Daryl, Daryl broke down a hell of a lot faster than three days. Dude lasted like, 12 hours before he started eating dog food.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

britishbornandbread posted:

I think my point was more they built an entire season around trying to reach Terminus and then when they got there, they were out of the place in one episode. It was really jarring.

I will never criticize this show for moving too quickly.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tenzarin posted:

Next episode is all about tara.

Who? Goddamnit, this show needs to stop forgetting about characters for months at a time

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

moist turtleneck posted:

Holy poo poo this show is slow I feel like it's been showing opening credits for 20 minutes now

Nobody likes this kind of slow

Somebody really needs to edit the show down

The Walking Dead Kai

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ego-bot posted:

My favourite part of this episode was Carl loving up one of their few remaining cars to kill a single zombie.

At this point I'm assuming that bicycles are some ancient/lost technology like Greek fire or Roman concrete.

There are thousands and thousands of remaining cars. There are vast parking lots full of cars. The only cars they should bother actually trying to preserve are those that have been converted to run on vegetable oil. Those will be useful for years after the gas runs out/goes bad.

You're right about bikes, they should be using bikes. Quiet, easy to repair on the side of the road, uses no gas, bikes are ideal for their situation.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blazing Ownager posted:

I just re-watched this episode with some people who wanted to see it and what really annoyed me this time is Carl trashing the utter gently caress out of a working car to kill one zombie that they could have just walked away from, or gotten out and stabbed.

I mean there's times on this show they won't even waste bullets and he hosed up a car, again.

Cars are not rare. There are so many goddamn cars. There are millions and millions of cars. There are vast parking lots where cars are sent before being distributed to dealerships. Brand new cars just sitting there, in the hundreds. Hell, the pilot episode has Rick riding a horse past thousands and thousands of perfectly good cars on the freeway

I cannot stress how plentiful cars are in the Walking Dead universe

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

my wife had a question goons: Where are they getting all their gasoline? Like, there were a lot of trucks there plus cars etc. At what point do they just run out of useable gasoline? It doesn't look like they're scavenging any of it.

Like Fitzy said, gas would be bad by now. But setting that aside, gas would be pretty easy for them to get in the quantities they need. They don't go very far from home, it seems like they just drive to a close by neighborhood, park, and then scout around on foot. They could be good for a long time just siphoning tanks from cars on the side of the road. I don't know how easy it is to bypass whatever security is in place to stop people from siphoning off the gas at a gas station's underground tanks, but once they did they'd be set for months off one station.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is this season a deliberate attempt to tank the show?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lycus posted:

How many communities in the area did Aaron fail to find?

At least this time they explained that it was really far out. A two week journey from Alexandria. I can believe that that's outside of Aaron's regular range.

galenanorth posted:

They could have skipped all the Mexican-standoff-without-a-gun scenes and just fully explained the backstory of the village at the dinner table, if they needed exposition. Also, all the long scenes like the opening where they called a walker a "bobber" were twice as long as they needed to be. All the dialog concerning the woman that "betrayed" the community to help Tara was really repetitive. It's not that there's "too much character development"; it's that it's redundant character development. 80% of "you'd better not tell the community" could have been canned and we'd have gotten the point. This episode could have been half of its length. The only the scenes that didn't need editing for time were the ones with Heath and Tara or at the bridge.

Absolutely. The entire bit with Tara sneaking around the village was pointless. We didn't learn anything about the village that wasn't shown at another point in the episode

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shooting Blanks posted:

Maybe because she just gave birth and was presumably pregnant for a large part of filming? It's not uncommon for actors to take time off for that. I can't think of another explanation so if there is one, I'd be curious as well.

They could just do like they did when the actress who played Daphne in Frasier got pregnant; do a storyline about her getting enormously fat

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
One of the ladies in the village was obese. How can someone be obese after two years on an all-fish diet?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Johnny Truant posted:

Sand zombies were kind of entertaining cause they were novel, but like, how the gently caress did they suddenly surround Dr. Dre and Tara? How were there like 20+ zombies that were unearthed by Tara pulling out a single backpack?

It would've been better writing if it were a few zombies and they took care of them then Tara slipped on a banana peel and fell in the water. But nope, now we've got teleporting sand zombies. :shrug:

Yeah, how the gently caress were there zombies suddenly behind them?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

moist turtleneck posted:

It would have made a lot more sense if Tara found something they were lacking in to, I don't know, create a trade deal? Instead, she decides to be cryptic and gently caress everything up. This is worse than when Eugene says poo poo is classified

But yeah that place was Tara's slice of Heaven

Oh man, that just makes me wish one of the villagers was sick and Tara talked them into going to Alexandria to see their doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

moist turtleneck posted:

Wait do you guys not remember that line? I noticed it halfway through Tara saying it

Considering that line is from 8 years ago, it's not that unusual for people to forget it. It's not a memorable like, "hey idiot in the tank" or "stuff and things"