Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I like any town that shows how much better any community without Rick in charge seems to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

One interesting thing I noticed at The Kingdom is that they are still flying the US flag right at their front gate.

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Question for all of you. If this is the last season, it's not, but say AMC goes bankrupt or they decide to just end it BBC style, how should the series end?

I want an open ended finale. Unless they go dark and just kill all the remaining cast, I've long suspected that Judith is going to be involved in it.

I think the show will end with the discovery that anyone conceived after the apocalypse is actually immune to the infection. We won't see society rebuilt but the characters will have hope and something to hold on for, a future to build for their childreb.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Serf posted:

I was thinking about this a few days ago. It is an interesting thought, but it suffers from the same problem as The Last of Us. Being immune to the zombie infection but not immune to being torn apart is still kinda useless.

Given enough time the walker population will be pretty much wiped out if there aren't many new ones being created and getting free.

I like the idea of the super time skip ending. Jump forward a few decades and show Judith dying in her 60's or 70's, surrounded by younger people. A line of dialogue saying how no-one born after a certain time ever turns, but they keep watch all night, just in case.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

screamin and creamin posted:

So this Negan guy surrounds himself by desperate armed guys that he did terrible things to and who have nothing whatsoever to lose by shooting him while he's essentially defenseless against them, got it.

My impression was that working dictatorships have clearly defined in- and out groups, and that the main guy is surrounded by fiercely loyal armed bodyguards at all times or similar.

All the guys he keeps in his inner circle may actually still have something to lose.

Dwights wife is essentially being held hostage by Neegan. It explains why he wants Darryl so much, he can see that Darryl has skills, but is also fiercely loyal. That means if he can get Darryl working for him he is unlikely to do anything since he knows that the Saviours could wipe out Alexandrina.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I really want to know how the Kingdom ended up with such a good deal (by Negan standards).

All I can imagine is that Negan and Ezekiel met, both weighed up the odds and figured the Kingdom could well win a war against the Saviors, but Ezekiel offered to pay tribute anyway in order to prevent a fight.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Kinda feels like the only worth while episodes to watch are the season openers, mid-season finale and season finale

Everything else is pretty poo poo. Does anyone actually care about these character centric episodes? They do it every season.

"The group split up so let's spend multiple episodes around lovely characters nobody cares about"

It wouldn't be so bad if the episodes went anywhere, but I'm reminded of the Beth episodes last season. All the build up about the hotel and the secrets there and then oh Beth is dead now and we'll all agree to never go back there or talk about them again.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Does TV budgeting mean they would have to pay more royalties if cast members appeared in more episodes even if they had filmed the exact same amount?

I bet you could do a pretty decent Game of Thrones style edit of this season up to now where every character appears each episode for a few minutes.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Walking Dead science speculation time:

Walking is actually pretty difficult to learn, which implies that walkers are using muscle memory for how to move around. So if a person in a wheelchair turned would their zombie roll around?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Dalael posted:

I'm assuming they didn't drive for 2 weeks in a straight line. they probably traveled to every town they knew about, explored every house and poo poo like that. She might not even be 50 miles from Alexandria for all I know.

That's one of the worst things about the fact they keep using the backwoods of Georgia for every single filming location, it's really easy to forget that they are meant to be right next door to Washington DC.

If they are intentionally avoiding the city and built up areas then at least mention that. Make it a plot point that they are getting increasingly desperate for supplies but also think it's too risky to head into the more built up areas due to herds or some other such reason.

The amount of travelling through woods and country roads is really starting to take the piss though. I mean look at the area this is all roughly taking place in:

It stands out heaps considering the amount of time they spent in urban Atlanta.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 1, 2016

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

On the upside, since you can walk from Alexandria to the sea that's their food shortages sorted. Just find an intact jetty and get a gang down there fishing a couple of times a week.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

If this show is going to go the Dexter route can we actually get him as a character?

Rick walks into a room where Dexter is crouched over the still twitching corpse of someone who was seen alive and well just a few minutes before. A grin on his face, Dexter is repeatedly ramming a knife into their chest

Rick: What the gently caress are you doing?

Dexter stops, worried. His secret is out.

Rick: You should know by now we stab them in the head, not the chest.

Rick shakes his head bemused and walks out

Dexter (inner monologue): That was close, too close. Luckily for now Rick doesn't know my secret. My secret that I kill people. It is good that they do not know my secret that I see them all as...the walking dead.

Dexter continues to thoughtfully kneel by the still twitching body. The camera slowly zooms out to reveal there are dozens of other characters in the room, all too distracted by a can of pudding to notice what is going on

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

I have to say this is a good chunk of the reason their whole "dictatorship" and "occupation" plot lines don't work for poo poo.

Even the worst, most brutal occupations would be a footnote in history if they only lasted two Goddamn weeks. And frankly I think two weeks in an American jail is worse than two weeks in Savior jail. Oh no, they play a loud song every morning. Fuuuuuuuuck, right? I mean the food sucks but it's the apocalypse, Daryl's probably used to eating dog food at this point.

They really should have timed this plot to happen over like, a year. It'd had far, far more impact on things. As it stands this will be remembered the "Half a month Rick turned into an idiot pussy but he's better now."

They should have just done a six months time skip, although it would have required adjusting things like the Carol/Morgan storyline.

If Alexandria has been suffering, but hasn't lost anyone for a while under Negans rule then it allows an argument to be made that Rick did the right thing in rolling over. Lets Daryls stay in solitary have really hosed him up, and lets us catch up a little bit on the question of how Carl has managed to grow two feet in 18 months.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Having Morgan in the show is kind of a mistake in that it continually reminds you of his introduction and how much more terrifying his obviously still has traces of her memories zombie wife was.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I'm hoping that next episode Eugene mentions that lobster populations are probably booming right now and a few fishing trips to the coast could feed everyone like kings for a night.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Kelly posted:

I think that Rick's death scare was meant to show that Michonne fell apart and was going to let herself get taken too. BUT THEN, if you recall her kid died at the beginning of the outbreak and I hate to get all mom on you folks but my kid getting eaten by zombies or whatever (actually, maybe her kid got sick?) is a lot more upsetting then some dude I'm loving getting killed.

So it kind of doesn't make sense when you know her history. I'd believe that about someone else on the show, but not her.

Her response to her kids death involved her abandoning all other people and wandering through woods with the lumbering corpses of her friends.

Plus that was early, when everyone was still in wtf is happening mode. At this point they have settled into a new normal and Michonne has started to properly heal, another loss wouldn't just be devastating for the loss of Rick, but would also reopen all those other feelings.

On that note, could anyone tell what Michonne was standing next to in the field as she cried afterwards? To me it looked about the right size to be a childs corpse.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Remy Marathe posted:

Some stuff went down here but I'm still struggling with the idea of a dozen men spending an entire afternoon arming themselves, burning gas and braving the zombie wilds to meet up and exchange 12 cantaloupes.

Well the next day they did the whole ritual just for one, and the first exchange we saw them do earlier in the season was a massive amount of meat.

Some times the Saviors know there isn't much to be had, but it's about keeping them in control.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Vanderdeath posted:

The Savior dude who comes to collect is a way more convincing antagonist to me than Negan and way more threatening. Dude is just so loving done with everything that his learned sociopathy is actually more effective than preening and leaning at acute angles. Well those are my Walking Dead opinions see ya

I really want to see him interact with the trash people.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Just went through the comic wikia getting deluged in spoilers and man I hope they change things up.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Oceanside being brought in and then betraying them all would have been a great way to do it rather than the sudden but inevitable betrayal by the trash people.

Actually make it morally ambiguous. Have them be forced into a fight they don't want but then offscreen Negan runs into them. They make a deal to turn on Alexandria in exchange for being left alone.

I would also have accepted a twist where the trash leader suddenly starts talking normally and it turns out Neegan orchestrated the whole thing and can't believe Rick fell for the Aliens living in a dump cosplay.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

There weren't any walkers drawn to the gunfight because the Saviors are actually the good guys, doing a competent job of wiping out the dead to create a safer world.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Remember when people cared about comic spoilers for this show?

I'm expecting that this is getting two more seasons. Next season will follow the comics, then as viewers continue to drop they announce that they are getting one last season to wrap everything up to try and drum up publicity and adopt Game of Thrones finale hype.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Kelly posted:

I would enjoy a spin-off with JDM and how he came to be 'Negan'. I say that with sincerity - he was a gym teacher or something, right? That is way more interesting than this bullshit.

Better Call Negan.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

LadyPictureShow posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FI2U47UUVjY

Trailer for the back half of Fear S3. It looks a lot more interesting than the trailer for WD S8; but that could be b/c we all know Walking Dead's general pattern these past few seasons.

I read an interview the other day where someone on the show mentioned Strand chatting with the cosmonaut on the ISS was akin to that dumb CDC episode in the sense of a character finding out the epidemic is a worldwide thing. I liked that scene actually; and I honestly hope it gets brought up, simply because I want to see Colman Domingo tell everyone 'I got drunk and talked to a cosmonaut. The whole world is hosed.'

Not watched any of Fear, but do you know what episode/roughly when that scene is?

Ever since the start of The Walking Dead I've had a weird obsession with imagining how it would be playing out in places like the ISS.

Trailer for S8 of TWD is promising in that they seem to be making stuff happen, but despite the music it's still mostly shots of people staring off into the distance.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I decided to watch the episode stoned and afterwards was thinking that I must have had stronger stuff than I thought.

You're all telling me that episode was as wacky as I thought?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

I have to admit I'd actually given the show credit when THE PLAN (TM) is revealed and they go to get Negan and find him riddled with bullets by Battle Priest

I have no idea when it started, where it's going, what's at stake, where they are, or anything else. The characters all know the plan the audience doesn't, it was loving dumb as poo poo. Though I suspect at this point they have as much plan as a Cylon.

The Cylon mention is great because one of the closest comparisons to this war arc I can think of is the New Caprica arc from Battlestar Galactica.

Except there the mystery about the battle plans was fed to the viewer in clues so when it all came together it was hugely satisfying rather than this jumbled mess.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Acacia REI posted:

I still don't understand why they go all out with the guts on this show when all the way back in season 3, Michonne showed up at the prison fence with not much more splatter than the characters in FTWD use, blending in with the walkers just fine (and this was after she disposed of her walker-pets). Then in season 6, I'm pretty sure that's how it was implied that Glenn survived under the dumpster. In the flashback it showed him stabbing at walkers that tried to reach under the dumpster until he had enough blood on him for them to lose interest (that's how I interpreted it).

It just makes the characters seem dumb.

Even in the TellTale games Clementine figures out you don't actually need to make accessories out of their entrails and starts just putting a little bit of blood on her face and clothes in S2 and S3.

When taking a last ditch chance of escaping from walkers that are already aware of your presence and actively searching for you do you really want to be the guy who tries to see just how little camouflage will work?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I think they're playing with the idea of making Daryl into a villain.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

DrVenkman posted:

The only way I see them getting out of it is if this leads to some sort of end game for the show and has Carl surviving and hey everyone we have a cure/vaccination.

Is it too much to hope that they are going to go for a double misdirect in the show?

Carl is bit! Oh no! Carl survives!!! He must be immune, let's all put aside our differences to work together and try to figure out how he can be immune. The Doctor and Eugene get involved. This carries on for a few episodes until we discover the Whisperers and realise he was never immune.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

No, it will probably be on until the costs are not worth it to AMC.

On the one hand hopefully it will all be over soon, on the other...

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

bobjr posted:

I would love a final season where everything goes batshit insane. Like if Darryl became a Wizard would people really get that mad at this point?

Just do the alien invasion story.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

That shot of them wearing roller skates reminded me how stupid it was.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I can't bring myself to put in the :effort: to watch an extended episode that is apparently this boring. Is there anything important to know other than that Carl actually dies if I just skip it for the next one?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

It wasn’t a huge increase over the finale. I have a feeling people tuned in to see Carl die. I think it will drop below 7 million if this second half is full of filler

Even without filler episodes there has to be a lot of audience fatigue. Remember back when it seemed like the farm arc went on forever?

edit: In the same number of episodes we have now spent at Alexandria we had followed the group from pre-fall all the way up to being on their way to Terminus.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Feb 28, 2018

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I was channel surfing with my wife and she flicked past the channel that shows WD down here for just one second that lined up exactly with that gif. I then had to explain why I burst out laughing.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

SocketWrench posted:

They learned their lesson from the van flip. If you can't do it right, don't do it

Jesus Christ, they must have been at Alexandria for a few years given Judith's age now...like four years

Maggie actually miscarried 2 years ago and they are all letting her keep imagining she is pregnant because they're scared of her.

Edit: If Fear The Walking Dead can apparently mix up it's locations so much is there a reason why the main show is still stuff having most action outside the settlements happen on the same small section of country road. I remember how great the promise was when they first reached Washington and there was a great establishing shot showing DC decaying in the distance. Even if they can't recreate some iconic locations well surely they could do something to make this look like the outskirts of a major city rather than bumfuck Georgia.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Mar 19, 2018

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

The show had a major plot point with a 20 foot high landfill when piles of garbage landfills don't actually still exist anymore. I wouldn't put much into the reality factor outside of fear the walking dead.

That's a good point.

Screw the comics, just cut randomly to Negan having turned the Oval Office into where he keeps his harem.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 20, 2018

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Princeps32 posted:

the very boring story of dirty warring city-states but also there are zombies would have been a challenge for anyone to write.

Game Of Thrones is pretty much this and shows that even if the writing gets poo poo you can keep people interested through actually putting some effort into the production of the show.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Gimple says this is the end of the "eight season story arc." :circlefap:

So they totally are doing the time skip then hey?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I'm pretty sure this was mentioned but I just looked at the official timeline and it has been 20 days since Glen died. :lol:

Are you loving kidding? :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Never having watched FTWD before, and I correct in understanding that neither of the people Morgan met were existing characters?