Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

vintagepurple posted:

It's all Rick's death hallucination, the whole season is a Rick's Ladder mindfuck

Season 14 finale, Rick wakes up in the hospital with Shane and Lori waiting by his side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
I'm shocked!

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
lol Negan talking to RIck like he has never been captured by a group of psychopaths before.

"This must be hard for you!"

Not really, this is basically a Tuesday in the reign of Rick.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Shneak posted:

The Hilltop is such a dangerous shithole. Every time there's an episode there someone is busting through the gates and in this episode it happened twice. Maggie would be safer getting captured and thrown into a cell.

All the TWD communities have really flimsy walls and gates.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Steve Shultz posted:

I would 100% watch this show forever if its was just following Jesus's point of view because hes clearly the new most fun character.
Actually Jesus and Eugine together in his drum and bass van would be ideal.

Eugene and Jesus are also practically the only characters that have some form of personality that isn't purely some combination of Anger or Despair.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Shitenshi posted:

Don't know if this was posted already, but JDM already announced Negan is gonna be back for Season 8. Have fun, dipshits.

Cool I'll check back in at the season 8 finale.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
I just watched "The Road" and what strikes me is that even in that ultra dreary and depressing movie they took time out to have scenes with the kid and father being happy and joking around. You know, because they are human beings. It's not two hours of people being depressed and slowly dying. That would be stupid and nobody would want to watch it.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Iowa Snow King posted:

The main character lineup is getting pretty sparse in terms of people-who-have-an-actual-personality

Mostly the show has three different scenes - 1) Characters talking very seriously about what they are going to do 2) Lingering shots of people staring into the distance because they're sad and that's deep 3) Fighting stuff or being very, very angry or possibly going insane.

I just want some scenes where people are kicking back and shooting the poo poo. Like humans. Have them cook up some moonshine and have a BBQ or throw a ball around or make some weird zombie dismantling machine or just do something, anything that a human being might do to let off some steam. It would be neat if sometimes people could smile, laugh, crack a few jokes. I might even be able to sort of relate to these weird broken aliens.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
If you have access to hole digging technology and a gun it's very feasible.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Von_Doom posted:

Cheapest and nicest beer is one you dangle in the river while you fish or buried in the snow.
Learn how to dig a hole and you'll never go back to filthy river or snow cooled beer..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTDXvmVLaQs

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Prepping has always been dumb to me. Yay now I can live in a poo poo world with zombies/radiation/killer robots for a long time. Sounds great.

And why build a bunker anyway - just move into a concrete/steel tower. In terms of structural integrity it's not exactly equivalent to a medieval castle but it's close enough. There's a reason why even modern armies have so much trouble taking urban areas.

Or build a flimsy wall around a bunch of houses and wait for someone to blow it up or drive a truck through it. Whatever floats your goat. I'm telling ya, those cops in Atlanta had the right idea.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah it does. The property taxes on a cabin in the woods can be killer

Loads of rural areas are being depopulated so just move there and get a house practically for free. I hear there's lots of vacancies in coal country these days.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
I don't disagree with you but some of your examples are curious. I live in the city, brew my own beer and BBQ frequently. Also, a balcony with a view beats porch every time :colbert:

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Fog Tripper posted:

Keep telling yourself that.
My front porch faces rolling hills of sage. Off to the side are actual mountains. Both within walking or short ride distance.

City folk just don't get it.

Different strokes. I like looking out over the hustle and bustle of the city, the lights, life, human civilization. It's a fascinating machine. I actually like camping and spend most of my vacations hiking. But it's a vacation thing. In my everyday life I want maximum convenience in all matters. Time is an underrated resource.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
Well some things happened and nobody had an emotional breakdown or went insane so I guess it was an OK episode for TWD. The action is lazy and dumb but at this point fine, whatever.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
Whatever group it is, it seems to be severely scissor deprived.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

coyo7e posted:

I've never eaten cheese and had problems pooping, dude..

Pics or it didn't happen.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
The showrunners definitely know how to drain a scene of all energy and slow an episode waaay down. Every scene take exactly as long as it is conceivably possible to make it.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

texaholic posted:

Go checkout a dumpster behind a restaurant and imagine living in the dumpster,
Why?

Because they wanted another group and a dump was the most interesting setting they could come up with. Then they thought long and hard about it and decided people who live in a dump must lose the ability of speech, haircuts and scavenging clothes. There is no reason for it. It's like they have a single part time writer they call in for brainstorming sessions and then the director stretch 20 min. of script into a 45 min. episodes.

Like Daryl and Carol chat. The emotions and themes they want to convey was totally fine for this kind of show. They just stretched it out to 5 minutes and filmed it with the least amount of effort. Just totally flat and loooong pauses to stretch it out. The thing is, there's no reason for this. If you are going to put two characters in a room for 5 minutes then write the loving dialogue for it. You don't need a bunch of extras or an army of VFX artists - just spend 10 min. more on the goddamn script. Have them reminisce or joke around a bit or some character building. Nope, just two people in a room being miserable and talking super slow.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

Why don't Rick and company just pack up and drive to Pennsylvania or down to Norfolk or something? Go take over a freighter or battleship or something? Who gives a poo poo about this stupid gated community that has no supplies in it anymore?

That's the thing. It's not even a safe place. The Wolves just stormed it and the Garbage McPoyles could sneak in and steal their one guard. And if you are going to survive by looting food then move to a metropolitan area where the food stores are located.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's in the middle of a major metropolitan area so it's surrounded by hundreds of thousands of zombies, and the show established that military bases were completely overrun.

The walkers spread out and are now all roaming the countryside in giant herds. As you saw in Atlanta there are no more in cities than anywhere else.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Zzulu posted:

You could probably fortify several skyscrapers and they'd be largely impenetrable by zombies and humans alike instead of going out into the woods where you cant see poo poo and putting up a shoddy wall

Experiences with fences:
- Routinely snuck into Woodbury
- Prison rendered uninhabitable when chain link fence broke
- Terminus destroyed when fence was blown up
- Wolves stormed Alexandria
- Garbage McPoyles sneak in and steal Gabriel

Experiences with tall concrete buildings:
- Atlanta. Had to take hostages to get inside and then wound up in a stand off in a narrow hallway.

Maybe they need the land for farming? Nope, we don't do that stuff. Maybe they have learned to defend fences? Nope - just one guy walking around inside where he can't see poo poo on the outside is fine.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

JazzFlight posted:

The dumbest thing about these characters is that a lot of them seem like the outbreak just started and they're still incompetent. Wouldn't you realistically want to horde a bunch of survival guides and start teaching people how to survive, Bear Grylls style? There are people living in rural areas of the US right now that would be utterly embarrassed by everything these characters do. It's been a couple years in their world, why can't they properly sustain themselves without needing old slop out of a can?

Sure, occasionally Darryl or Carol hunted or fished (I think), but that was about it. Humans lived for hundreds of thousands of years without needing cans of food, come on.

They showed a little bit of farming at the kingdom but it's the kind of suburban hipster hobby farming people do. Growing 20 heads of lettuce and some tomatoes isn't going to help you through the winter. You have to grow grains you can store outside the growing season. There's a reason medieval folk survived on gruel and bread and it wasn't because they hated vegetables.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

redleader posted:

Eh, could have easily cut 10-15 min off this episode, no problems.

Yeah they still drag it out. Still best episode of the season.

I'd like to think it was a guest director and he had to explain the scene with Negan's wives laughing and having fun with Eugene to the regular crew.
"No they're not crying. It's a completely different emotion!!"
"So they are very angry?"
"No, they're having fun!"
"I don't understand what that means."

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

mushroom_spore posted:

At this point I'm hoping Eugene kills Negan himself. :allears: Previously I thought only Ezekiel and/or the tiger had the sheer levels of ham to be worthy of the kill, but this episode was too good. Eugene has come back to us.

Also the junk people and their menacing group shuffle were terrible, but at the same time I'm completely ready for the show to just go full over the top Mad Max by the time the post-apocalyptic gang war rolls around, so I'm kinda conflicted.

I hope Ezekiel and the Trash Lady meet and they find lots to talk about.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
Living in constant fear that you'll be thrown in an oven doesn't seem that comfortable.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
Morbid fascination.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

what's going on with the garbage people? are they from the comics and can someone spoiler what their deal is?

AMC is trying to be creative. The best they could up with is weird for the sake of weird.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
The last episode should just be a single 45 min shot of an elaborate Rube Goldberg machine composed of high school physics experiments that systematically kills every Savior while Eugene watches on from a lawn chair while eating pickles. Meanwhile Rick is somewhere. Or not.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Fog Tripper posted:

You are not a good show watcher.

It's unnecessarily slow and lethargic. People can have serious conversations without constantly stopping to stare intently at each other. You don't NEED a long lingering close up every time someone feels something. There are other tools in the cinematic toolbox. And you know, if you have a scene with people talking in it you can do other things than just switching between close-ups. Like you have the scene with Ezekiel looking out over his kingdom from his balcony. From the set you understand what he's trying to protect - people living in peace, a father with his child etc. - and that he is the protector of it but isolated above it. It's not amazing or anything but ok, the set says something about the character and his situation. Most of the other scenes people are having conversations in bleak rooms or a parking lot. It's lazy. It's bad craftsmanship.

That said things happened. I guess the plot moved forward.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
I can't get past the absurdity of 12 angry armed men having a tense standoff over a single cantaloupe - in a crate which had been loaded onto a truck bed. No one thought to just have a guy drive it out there in a car.

BRING FORTH THE ROYAL LORRY. SECURE THE CANTALOUPE!
I'll just put it in a bag and carry...
IT'S CARGO! IT GOES IN THE TRUCK!

There must be 100+ Saviors why would they even bother with 12 loving cantaloupes. You couldn't just have less frequent drops with actual meaningful amounts of food? This loving show.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

coyo7e posted:

I did like that the guy told Ezekiel to literally just make up the difference, no more, no less. He was rubbing in the fact that it was all bullshit, and that it was done simply to reinforce the position the kingdom is stuck in. And it makes it a much easier choice to go against the Saviors when they do poo poo like that.

I'll go along with it as long as we agree "rubbing it in" is a dumb strategy for keeping people in line. And it is, the Kingdom is now going to war because an unnecessary cantaloupe drop got botched.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
edit: ^^^^ 3 episodes I think. Probably one episode with Sasha/Rosita, one Tara/Oceanside and then in the finale everybody gets together and start the war - but Negan will somehow turn the tables resulting in the cliffhanger.

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

No it's just bad writing to allow richard to easily swipe the cantalope. Last dropoff they used the hatchback, guy said they were short, ezekiel I believe said look again.

Obviously they were told to bring it in a hatchback.

Bates fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 15, 2017

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Caper posted:

I think it's different for Sacha. Norman Reedus was on a motorcycle show on AMC during TWD's downtime. The actress who plays Sacha will be the main character on a show on a completely different network. 100% sure she's going to die at some point in the next 2 eps

Someone mentioned Holly earlier and judging by her death I'd guess that's what will happen to Sasha in the finale. Got nothing to back it up with but idle speculation.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Their plan was ridiculously stupid anyway even before Sasha decided to "save" Rosita. Do they not realize Negan is going to head straight back home to punish them and possibly sabotage the big resistance they are preparing for?

Well that would happen whether they killed him or not. It's not like the Saviors are just going to disband and stop living the good life if Negan dies. If Negan survives he makes an example of them, if he dies Trevor or someone else takes over and makes an example of them. Their plan makes no sense and only serves to get Sasha captured by the Saviors so they can

Johnny Truant posted:

Sasha gets murderized and returned as a walker with a bag over her head like in the comics. But that won't be until the half season closer of s08, probably, ugh

I bet this will lead into how Rosita dies too.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Acacia REI posted:

It still takes actual force to kill them though. In TWD any character can casually stride through the forest gently knifing any walker that approaches them with such ease that I wonder why it's even being shown. It's not compelling or exciting and does nothing but fill some kind of walker-quota each episode has. At least in FTWD they still have to put force into their blows and the zombies' skulls aren't made of jello.

It was kinda silly when Carol killed 5 walkers and the Kingdom guards were totally blown away by it. Yeah, it doesn't look that difficult really. Swing bat/sword/axe - move your feet in rapid succession to stay out of range - repeat x 5. I think I could swing a bat five times and manage to not fall over. Seems totally doable.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Fog Tripper posted:

Didnt she literally sit in a tree and zombies walkers walk into a signpost that impaled their skulls like they were made of puff pastry?

Yes. You hold out a stick and they walk into it and kill themselves.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

JossiRossi posted:

You make FTWD sound too appealing with that description.

I will say if once the Negan arc is over, if looking down at the flaming ruins of the Saviors, the silhouettes of the FTWD cast was cast over the ground you would know that poo poo is about to go down and Rick and crew are fuuuucked. No one has the destructive power of that weird awful family.

Nicks penchant for zombieflage is just foreshadowing and the origin story for the Whisperers.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

"I get it now. We can run away, live like these people or fight.. I mean.. these people have a thriving community and seem happy since they escaped Negan's army. Fuuuuck that."

That's consistent with their decisions throughout the show though - if you find a successful community, do the most opposite thing you can think of. Find a community that's secure enough to run an old folks home - go camp in the woods, immediately get overrun by a herd. Find a prosperous community in an impregnable city fortress - leave for the countryside, almost die of dehydration while being relentlessly chased by walkers over open ground. Find a community that thrives by avoiding war - take their guns and start a war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
I can't decide if it's budget or laziness. They called all the extras in and the set is there - how much time would it really take to shoot Tara crawling around in some bushes and jimmying a window or something? It wouldn't have to be a cinematic masterpiece to still add a little tension.