Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

saw this and was kinda tempted to pick it up, good to see other ppl have good reviews of it!!!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

got it

given how much building there is in this game I wonder if I should learn architecture with a Minecraft bent or something. all I make is boxes :(

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

also is there a point to making rooms taller than 2 blocks or should I not bother making my forge a basement of sorts?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Cat Machine posted:

you really only need two-block high rooms but in the later chapters you end up with so many different rooms to make that inevitably you need a second story on your base

also dont bother with roofs they just make moving around really loving awkward because of the bad indoor camera

yeahhh I'm realizing a bit too late that I shouldn't have tried to have a fancy 3d city as my first fort place. the fact that you have so little working space for your base means that everything is cramped as gently caress and if you need a two-story thing eventually that's gonna be annoying as gently caress given the way the camera works. top-view Minecraft is cute and all, but the camera kinda sucks.

the base building could be better, honestly. I gotta knock down one of my walls to build this stupid stockade now and it's pretty annoying. also my base is surrounded by stone on all sides with some torches and doors and a larger, organically grown common area in between the rooms yet I don't get points for putting stuff in it, what the gently caress?

I might actually take the Kowloon Walled City approach in the future cuz jesus

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

wait a minute I need to grind up golems to get enough golemite to get a set of 5~6 Cantlin shields? the enemies where only one spawns once per day in the desert? and I need three of their drops to build one shield? christ no

e: solution is to wrap your city in a 3block high wall of obsidian. yay

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 26, 2016

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

note to self: don't attempt large scale remodeling of base :(

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

it's ultimately better to not try and maximize space and instead just surround the area with wall and treat rooms as individual houses of sorts. trying to remodel always goes badly cause it's hard and is always worse than before

also brick is a piss poor defensive choice and you should use stone instead. I still have not learned this :( I wish this game had a more convenient base building mechanic...some larger-scale design tools would own

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

first boss was a bastard til I looked up how to cheese him

anyway new advice: build everything in earth, then clad it. it's way more economical. yes, that's why all the blueprints use earth blocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

lol just finished story mode. i mean i kinda expected the ending to be like that but hey

• Locked thread