Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alaan
May 24, 2005

AlaanKane is my gamertag. On PC, but mainly hordeing so can do crossplay poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Leavers in ranked Xbox is a problem. Never got one on PC.

RBX fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 16, 2016

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
Gamertag SoggyGravy always looking for someone to do some campaign co-op or horde. (same name on steam if you prefer to communicate that way)

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

I keep getting low memory errors on Windows despite 8 RAM, 8 on my graphics card, and another 4 gigs in virtual memory. Bought another 8 gigs to top me up and hopefully satisfy this (and Forza Horizon 3's) hunger.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON

barren_sky posted:

I keep getting low memory errors on Windows despite 8 RAM, 8 on my graphics card, and another 4 gigs in virtual memory. Bought another 8 gigs to top me up and hopefully satisfy this (and Forza Horizon 3's) hunger.

I'm not a computer guru but I think this day and age and given how ram hungry xbone games can be 16 gigs of dedicated ram might solve a lot of your issues. 8 on your GPU is A LOT and virtual memory is useful for some things but not others from what I understand so it may have limited impact here.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Anyone playing the single player on PC? And does it, you know, work? I got this for free with my video card, and about 15 minutes into the first real mission in the first combat with the little tracker balls, the combat just doesn't end. I kill everything, all my companions cluster by the gate like they're expecting something to happen, but combat doesn't end and the cutscene dialogue (I watched an LP thinking I was just doing something wrong) doesn't play, so I can't continue. I've restarted the mission a couple times, quit and restarted the game, nothing. Simply can't progress.

Have any of you seen that problem/know of a solution?

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

Azhais posted:

Anyone playing the single player on PC? And does it, you know, work? I got this for free with my video card, and about 15 minutes into the first real mission in the first combat with the little tracker balls, the combat just doesn't end. I kill everything, all my companions cluster by the gate like they're expecting something to happen, but combat doesn't end and the cutscene dialogue (I watched an LP thinking I was just doing something wrong) doesn't play, so I can't continue. I've restarted the mission a couple times, quit and restarted the game, nothing. Simply can't progress.

Have any of you seen that problem/know of a solution?

Had no issues on PC campaign through the entire thing. Try restarting? There might also be a combat ball (lol) stuck somewhere and all the enemies aren't actually dead. That's been known to happen in Gears.

Did you hear the all clear guitar riff?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

empathe posted:

Did you hear the all clear guitar riff?

No, combat music never ends, but all the companions get out of cover and mill around like it should be over. I've quit and restarted a couple times. Exact same every time

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What exactly should I be doing to counter enemies who vault into my cover? I try to melee them but they always get a gnasher shot off that drops me before my melee goes off.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

Arcsquad12 posted:

What exactly should I be doing to counter enemies who vault into my cover? I try to melee them but they always get a gnasher shot off that drops me before my melee goes off.

In campaign or multi?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

empathe posted:

In campaign or multi?

Campaign right now but I'll take some multiplayer tips if you've got them.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

That's supposed to happen. Don't sit in cover. Either keep moving or press x to grab them before they can vault but that's iffy. Really just keep moving.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON

Arcsquad12 posted:

Just a wild guess but could be a DRM if you :pirated: the files. If you didn't then disregard but I played on PC and didn't have this issue for whatever value that statement is worth to you.

EDIT: I'll contribute my own bug. Can't download the game on my desktop. Windows only recognizes 2 of my 5 HDD (and no idea why - windows 10 for reference fully updated). Whenever I do try to download it to the one drive windows does recognize it fully downloads then fails (200GB free but its not same HDD that windows is installed on). I've tried the supposed wsreset windows store fixes to no avail so I've since given up on playing it on my desktop and just play it on my laptop/xbone.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Can you counter being shanked if you're grabbed over cover?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Apparently you can but I don't know how and it's never been shown in game to me. You can google it tho.

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008
Both the Yank and the Vault Kick have counter moves, but the Yank counter is (at least in my opinion) much harder to execute. Really wish you could knife after a counter, instead of just hoping you have a Gnasher equipped.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

Arcsquad12 posted:

Campaign, try to lancer the enemy down before it gets to your cover. They will slow down as they run to you when you're putting shots into them.

If you can't, just back off the cover and move side to side. Switch to your shotgun or other closer range weapon if you have it.

In multiplayer, if someone is charging you without cover, just put them down with lancer fire. If they are moving on you using cover, switch to your shotgun.

Javaman98
Jul 15, 2002

ask me about strobing in LoL
Horde mode is so full featured compared to what came before. It's a shame every round starts with one drop, then the first few waves are so easy there's no teamwork. As soon as a few big guys show up, a few people die and leave the game. Oh and no one seems to have a mic. Add javaman98 so I can slay monsters while complaining at the same time.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Here is a code for a "Operations Gear Pack" that Microsoft sent me. Please quote the post if you take it.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Spacebump posted:

Here is a code for a "Operations Gear Pack" that Microsoft sent me. Please quote the post if you take it.

Got it, thanks very much!

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I'm busy during the week because of work but this weekend me and a friend are going to get into horde. Be great if we can set something up.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Is there an LFG site similar to the ones out there for Destiny? It would be great to get a Horde team or whatever that actually you know, communicates.

edit: Can you play in non-ranked matches? I don't want my placement matches to be my first 5 games in multi.

96 spacejam fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Oct 18, 2016

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

96 spacejam posted:

Is there an LFG site similar to the ones out there for Destiny? It would be great to get a Horde team or whatever that actually you know, communicates.

edit: Can you play in non-ranked matches? I don't want my placement matches to be my first 5 games in multi.

Social Quickplay is unranked.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON

RBX posted:

I'm busy during the week because of work but this weekend me and a friend are going to get into horde. Be great if we can set something up.

I'm down - connect with me SoggyGravy on pretty much whatever platform you prefer to friend me on.

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009
I went up to silver 2 in koth wooo!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Beat the campaign and got the "ending". Yeah, suddenly I can see why Epic Games sold the franchise to microsoft rather than deal with a 100million dollar game running out of budget.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Beat the campaign and got the "ending". Yeah, suddenly I can see why Epic Games sold the franchise to microsoft rather than deal with a 100million dollar game running out of budget.
lol was coming to post the same

How the hell can you gently caress up a game where all you want is

1) a gun with a chainsaw
2) a gun with a bayonet
3) lots of enemies to saw in half and bayonet
4) lots of enemies to blow up
5) grizzled hunks of man beef to growl at each other

It doesn't seem overly complex, yet somehow they managed to gently caress it up, with the only 2 of the main cast fitting.

And that final boss, christ on a crutch, that was weak. Shooting some dude on a train was better than that.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The only good part of that mech section was the part that let you go into cover.:lol:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I'm considering getting this on PC almost entirely because I really like the Horde mode and TDM of the series, how good is it in this one?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Elliotw2 posted:

I'm considering getting this on PC almost entirely because I really like the Horde mode and TDM of the series, how good is it in this one?

TDM and versus multiplayer is the best in the series in my opinion. It feels really smooth and the weapons are balanced pretty well. Horde is kinda muddled up by the classes and the dumb bounty system but you'll still enjoy it if you enjoyed it in past games.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

It's not as hosed up as Judgement's terrible Horde mode is it?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So my campaign post mortem: it's a mixed bag. On one hand, the gameplay itself is really good with a few hitches, like gating off loading screens behind doors you need to either chainsaw or kick open and therefore requiring two different buttons to do the same thing to progress. Also, there are some really bad checkpoints that either screw you over by putting you right in enemy fire, or they are too far back and force you to replay "walk and talk" moments before getting back to where you died. There are some annoying level design choices and I could have done without the horde mode implementation in the campaign.

Best mission was in Act IV where you fight through the factory with all the giant chains as cover that whip violently around.

The biggest problems with the campaign have to do with its appalling pacing issues, weak story, and weak main characters. JD, Del, Kait and Oscar all act like the wiseass in the group, and like I said before, none of them do it very well. I found Oscar to be a shittier version of Dizzy and I was glad when he dropped out of the story, because Marcus was much better. In fact, when Cole, Sam and Baird made an appearance five minutes before the game was over, I felt they had more chemistry than everyone else in the game combined. The worst offender by far is Del, who not only is not funny, but never takes anything seriously, and never, ever shuts up. JD is mostly inoffensive, except when he's trying to channel Nathan Fillion. If he was just a boring straight man, he'd be bland but okay. It's just when his banter with Del kicks in that he also becomes annoying. Kait is just Anya in Gears 3 except also trying to wisecrack way too much.

On that note, why the gently caress did they decide to kill Anya? Sure she isn't the most memorable character, but she was fine. You just need to have a dead wife/mother, don't you? This leads into what really irks me about the game. They are really pushing the theme of "family" over worldbuilding, but they are awful at it. Marcus and JD have no chemistry whatsoever, and it's just Marcus grumbling at the idiots he's stuck with. "We need to save my dad!" "We need to save my mom!" then poof, Game Over. Gears 1 2 and 3 aren't the best stories, but they at least have intended goals and follow a plot structure, most of the time. Here, they start with a story that gets dropped, only to half tell another one before cutting to credits.

The Swarm are lame, and their new enemies that aren't just reskinned locust drones are straight up Warhammer 40K Tyranids, and I didn't find many of them fun to fight. Pouncers are just wastes of time, while Snatchers are a goddamn pain in the rear end, especially playing solo. Also, introducing your primary antagonists in Act 3 after spending three hours shooting robots in a plot that goes nowhere is not a good way to ease people back into Gears of War. Everything with Minister Jin and the DB death army goes nowhere. She shows up, calls you an rear end in a top hat, and then blows stuff up before disappearing. They never explain why JD and Del deserted, and Jinn gets no closure at all. As for the Swarm, apart from being lame, they're also overpowered in an attempt to make them locusts but scarier. Oh yeah, Swarm quills can hack robots my god that was stupid.

The campaign does a lot of stuff wrong, but it is still fun. The pacing is all over the place due to it being the end of one plot and the beginning of another without any smooth transitions, but I did like fighting the DBs and the Swarm drones and Scions. Also, the windflare sections were genuinely fun being able to use the environment against your opponents and adding a lot of challenge to blow up nests when your grenades keep getting caught in the wind. I just wish there wasn't always some frustration keeping sections from being genuinely great.

Haven't touched multiplayer yet, but I'm guessing it's more fun based on how you guys seem to talk about it.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
The fact that the swarm are literally the locust with a few wonky additions goes so beyond incredibly lazy that it comes around to being hilarious to me.

Like, the game tries its damnedest to claim that the new threat isn't the locust, right up until the gang gets to the mine and by that point it feels like the devs just gave up and admitted they couldn't come up with original antagonists worth a drat and called it a day. Christ, they have emergence holes and boomers; nothing changed.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I also forgot to mention the Swarmak boss fight. You know how RAAAM is kind of poo poo in Gears 1 as a final boss? Well at least he had more than one appearance in the campaign before dying. One handed Locust Guy shows up in a cutscene that tries and fails to hide the fact he's a locust, and the next time he appears, he dies after the boss fight.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I like how the scions are just boomers and kantus' mixed. Also I forgot it they were called Swarmaks.:lol:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
All the names for the new enemies were bad and retarded tbh

I also really enjoyed the fact there was a grand total of 1, (ONE) fight where the robots and other enemies fight, and for some idiot reason the ~super evil gubmint~ was somehow competent enough to track us down constantly and sending out huge gently caress-off blames that firebomb the countryside but were like
"hurr durr, what are all these monstur things, we somehow haven't noticed the huge gently caress-off buildup around obvious areas that known public intellectual Marcus Fenix figured out right away"

And that deflection Baird had "oh no, I totally wouldn't make murderbots" like, hell yeah would that man have made the murderiest bots that ever botted, but we have to have the ~evil gubmint~ do that, while it personally bumbles into the player characters over and over.

Like, the government in Gears is a bunch of horrible fascists before emergence day and it makes sense they'd continue afterwards, but that wasn't their portrayal at all if they tolerate a buncha losers going "nu-uh, we're ~outlaws~ and take no orders from you" and then just turn into a repeated gag about being blown up like team loving rocket

All of which is then pretty much thrown out for no reason because apparently they remembered there were actual villains out there that should be used

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

Got my RAM upgrade in the mail so I should be good to go for an SA Horde Team-Up this weekend! GT is Tele Viper. I haven't had a lot of practice with it yet, but I have a mic and can follow orders!

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just did all 50 horde waves with some pugs, one of them had the hammer of dawn, with my 30% more energy in the fab we where swimming in energy, we had like 50k by wave 12 or some poo poo, all the guy did was use the hammer to basically destroy the boss wave, it was awesome, took like 6 hammers for the last one but had like 80k energy even with the fab at 4 and level 4 poo poo everywhere.

Soldier and scout are an amazing combo.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I've got a couple hours into this game now (MP). It's a lot of fun and definitely scratches that Gears itch, but I just cannot get down with the audio. I play with headphones and the directional audio is just loving garbage. Hear something to your side? He's in front of you. Hear something up ahead? You're being flanked. Hear something with no directional cue? It's from across the map or some poo poo. I rely a lot on audio cues, and while I'm not expecting the polish of them like in Overwatch, the quality here is just garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I got the game finally downloaded and installed, add KarasuTengu3 for Horde or (pc) social quick match fun times.

• Locked thread