Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The Midniter posted:

I've got a couple hours into this game now (MP). It's a lot of fun and definitely scratches that Gears itch, but I just cannot get down with the audio. I play with headphones and the directional audio is just loving garbage. Hear something to your side? He's in front of you. Hear something up ahead? You're being flanked. Hear something with no directional cue? It's from across the map or some poo poo. I rely a lot on audio cues, and while I'm not expecting the polish of them like in Overwatch, the quality here is just garbage.

Holy poo poo dude I was going to make this exact post. I have no idea how nobody has talked about this? In multi-player audio is unusable. I hear firefights halfway across the map like they're behind me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
How does the game handle the free copies of the earlier GoW games? I bought it on the PC but I haven't received an email or anything.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
You'll get a message on your xbox/app in the next month that'll have a key to redeem.

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
I have a bunch of codes from the rockstar gears of war contest if anyone wants them. (I don't have the game, just love that caffeine)
I currently have 4 Gear pack 5+'s., Send me a PM or reply and it's yours.

SpaceMonkey fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 24, 2016

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

SpaceMonkey posted:

I have a bunch of codes from the rockstar gears of war contest if anyone wants them. (I don't have the game, just love that caffeine)
I currently have one of each gear pack's 1-4 and 4 Gear pack 5+'s., Send me a PM or reply and it's yours.

Cool! I'll nab one of those Gear packs please!

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006
Sent you one of the gear pack 5 codes in PM Barren sky

SpaceMonkey fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 24, 2016

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
What is the deal with pubs who drag the Fabricator across the map into the very back of a spawn zone, or into some sniper nest like it needs protecting? All it seems to do is make returning power a huge chore and encourages the engineers to cram a bunch of buildings into a single tiny corner where they do nothing until they get blown up by a single Boomshot notlocust. God help you if you try and move it somewhere the players can reach each wave; they'll drop from the game at the slightest provocation.

And now the scout is downed on the other side of the map surrounded by killer robots where are you goons

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Judging that the AI does that in the introduction to Hordes part of the single player I imagine, at some point, Hordes had a protect the fabricator element to it and they're just going from what they think they're trained to do?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, I bet the fabricator used to be a defend objective, but I tend to have the opposite issue where no one bothers using the drat thing.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

extensive hiding from boomshots leads me to believe the fabricator is indestructible.

most of my shotgun duels in versus only ever end when a 3rd player shows up, since the 2 of us are wallbouncing around so much we're unable to do anything more than wing each other

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

SpaceMonkey posted:

Sent you one of the gear pack 5 codes in PM Barren sky

Edit: I got 4 pack 5 codes left for those interested.

I'll take one of the codes, if ya still have em!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
If you get a duplicate bounty is it just lost? Don't see any indication that I any more than 1 of each.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

If you get a duplicate bounty is it just lost? Don't see any indication that I any more than 1 of each.

Bottom right of the card has the quantity.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Lazy opinion of the Campaign: it's fun, plot's silly, stop calling them not locust, they're literally called locust like 4 times

gonger
Apr 25, 2006

Quiet! You vegetable!

ChickenHeart posted:

What is the deal with pubs who drag the Fabricator across the map into the very back of a spawn zone, or into some sniper nest like it needs protecting? All it seems to do is make returning power a huge chore and encourages the engineers to cram a bunch of buildings into a single tiny corner where they do nothing until they get blown up by a single Boomshot notlocust. God help you if you try and move it somewhere the players can reach each wave; they'll drop from the game at the slightest provocation.

And now the scout is downed on the other side of the map surrounded by killer robots where are you goons

Long sightlines for manned turrets to mow down the incoming horde is the best way to go. That being said, don't need to stick the fabricator all the way at the back.

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006
I got two more codes for Gear Pack 5+ left.
Get 'em before
they're gone!

SpaceMonkey fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 24, 2016

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I'll take one.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

SpaceMonkey posted:

I got two more codes for Gear Pack 5+ left.
Get 'em before they're gone!

Pls?

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006

RBX posted:

I'll take one.

Sent!

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Streaming some Gears.

https://www.twitch.tv/rbxbot

Arms race is bad, playing an actual game mode so I won't suck anymore.

RBX fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 25, 2016

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Got GoW4 today. My gamertag is omgitsbees

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Hey, I got my first 1-50 Normal clear with some randoms!

Then i joined some goons and played like poo poo.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Elliotw2 posted:

Hey, I got my first 1-50 Normal clear with some randoms!

Then i joined some goons and played like poo poo.

As long as those turrets stay manned and someone's around to pick up the power left on the field, it really doesn't matter what the other players do.

So far, most of the winning games with goons boil down to this strategy:

1. Engineer picks a chunk of the map with the best sight-lines for turrets and parks the fabricator nearby

2. Scout with power-boosting cards (that's me) goes around melee'ing the hell out of stuff to eek out as much early power as possible before wave 10

3. Engineer builds barricades and enough turrets for the team to man as he feels comfortable, then keeps everything repaired with the efficiency card

4. peak murder is achieved as 2-3 turrets are kept constantly manned (possibly by heavies with the turret/marked damage card), murdering everything before it can become a threat, then the scout goes out to gobble all the leftover power before the wave ends and turns it in for a net profit thanks to bonus power/repair efficiency cards

5. Sprinkle sentries and decoys around the turrets for flavor, make a gun collection with weapon lockers, laugh at the Snatcher boss that dies in 20 seconds of focus fire

For the moment a good team for making it far on Horde seems to be Engineer - Engineer - Scout - Heavy - Heavy, with a good scout and engie being pivotal for reducing money woes.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

This is a Gears-rear end Gears game, for better or worse (mostly better). I thought they'd do something to change up the clunky weapon select function but I guess at this point that's never going to change.

Anyone know how seamless the Windows play anywhere pretty is? Going from 60 FPS down to 30 when we jumped into Horde was pretty jarring. I'd like to hop my PC for non-versus modes.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I was worried about Gears 4 after playing Horizon 3 on PC, but this is a fantastic port. Play the PC version if you are able to, even low end PCs can play this at 60FPS very easily.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

It syncs your progress everytime you go online in either version, and you can crossplay xbox/windows in horde. The PC port is overall pretty good though, I get 60fps on mostly high with a 2gb GTX 960, though the textures are hilariously broken on 2gb vram.

https://gfycat.com/RealActiveChinchilla

Minor spoilers in the subs if you care.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Gears 4 for my settings uses around 2.45GB of vram. A 4GB graphics card is really required for high settings and above.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Elliotw2 posted:

It syncs your progress everytime you go online in either version, and you can crossplay xbox/windows in horde. The PC port is overall pretty good though, I get 60fps on mostly high with a 2gb GTX 960, though the textures are hilariously broken on 2gb vram.

https://gfycat.com/RealActiveChinchilla

Minor spoilers in the subs if you care.

Sweeeet. Should be able to max it out on a 1070 at 1080p then I guess. Just glad to hear I can easily go back and forth.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Played some escalation today, the 3 ring instant win effect makes for some great clutch steals even you're getting destroyed in kills. Does the competitive playlist have any modifiers to health or anything? I had 2 or 3 instances where I'd manage to down a guy but didnt manage to finish them off despite dumping 2/3rds of a lancer mag or 4~ shotgun rounds into them while they shuffled away out of sight (there was another guy covering him waiting for me to pop out). I'm sure they're not so bulletproof in other modes :saddowns:

Does ADS have any effect on gnashers other than making the drat things harder to track with? once i stopped ADSing and just hipfiring instead i had a lot more success with them.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Some modes have exceution rules and some have warzone rules for when you're downed meaning you might have to get closer to kill them. If you hear a buzzer type sound when shooting someone on the ground that means you're too far away.

You are right about hip firing the shotgun, its much better but that are times you want to ADS and shoot to get a more powerful shot. The thing is you want to quickly tap ads and shoot, not just hold it. I was playing some PC this weekend and it was hilarous because everyone was just standing still and ADS shooting the shotgun. Because the social playlists make the shotgun so much more powerful it kinda worked.

Ah Pook
Aug 23, 2003

Execution rules own and it's a shame they aren't used in more modes. There are plenty enough pew pew pew kill across the map games and Gears was cool because it was different

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
So I got the physical version of Gears 4 Ultimate at launch and used all those codes in that flyer to get the 360 games, and on Tuesday they sent me some XBL messages with more codes for the 360 games, which I thought they only did if you got the digital version of 4. I checked and the codes are, indeed, different... Is this supposed to happen?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Don't worry about it just do what you want with them. Theyre basically just trying to get Gears in as many homes as possible.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
Lumpy is a cool guy and bought me this as a gift because he's a cool guy. My tag is Sdoots. I'm still readjusting to some of the changes, but I definitely had a few good moments last night.

The Enforcer seems, well, silly to me. It fills a niche that doesn't really need filling. The rifles could already handle a shotgun rush if you saw them coming, and apparently the Lancer has been buffed this time out. I wouldn't want to give up my potential for quick kills by giving up my Gnasher, and I like having some reach, so giving up my rifle isn't very appealing either. That leaves the Enforcer out in the cold.

I've only put a few hours into MP, and am around Act 2 Chapter 3, so that opinion might change.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
I was playing the campaign solo and literally stopped in Act 4 somewhere when Civilization 6 came out. Now I'm thinking like, poo poo, I should have just returned this to Gamestop for some bux but it's probably too late to get more than 20 dollars at this point.

I dunno, should I keep this game and try horde mode and multiplayer?

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Yes

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Horde mode in the Gears games is probably my favorite multiplayer along with Halo Reach's similar modes.

TDM/Execution is good poo poo too.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Streaming Gears with a friend anyone is welcome to join.

https://www.twitch.tv/rbxbot

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I got a free copy of this with my new videocard and I figured gently caress it, I'll get back into Gears. Played 1 a lot, played 2 as much as the lag would allow, played 3 a lot, never touched Judgment because gently caress that.

So far the campaign in 4 is solid (Act IV atm), I played one game of multiplayer and got put into team deathmatch with respawns. :psyduck: I guess I gotta play Competitive for Execution, which is a little weird because I super-duper don't care about ranking up in video games anymore, but Execution is what makes Gears feel unique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Execution (and Warzone,Dodgeball, etc) are modes in quick play, but TDM's still fun enough.

• Locked thread