Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBX
Jan 2, 2011

https://gearsofwar.com/en-us

My Gametag: Dolemite Black XB/PC Watch me sometimes at twitch.tv/RBXbot
beaner69---------------yeyo42069 XB
barren_sky---------------Tele Viper PC
mfny-------------------S1Nx81 XB(?)
Skeezy-------------------------PKdeGallo XB(?)
Lumpy the Cook-------------------Lumpy the Cook XB(?)
Alteisen----------------------AchyHippo XB/PC
sp00nman---------------------Sasquatch PC
ChickenHeart------------------Micon Tulee XB
Alaan---------------AlaanKane PC
Elliotw2---------------------------KarasuTengu3 PC
empathe-------------------------HungryForApples

Watch Pro tournaments and have chances to win in game and Xbox stuff. Uses the twitch stream. - http://live.gearsofwar.com/

TIPS
-Social/Core use a different damage model than Competitive. Exact numbers are not known. The shotgun is extremely stronger in Core/Social and kills from a long distance and the lancer is stronger. I personally think this is rather stupid.

-Social only has Arms Race, Guardian, Warzone, Team Deathmatch, and Dodgeball as game modes.

-Social, Core, and Competitive have different maps used for each, I can't find a list but it's small enough coupled with the constant removing of maps that it's annoying.

-This is a close quarters favored game. Yes long range guns and such are in it but the shotgun will always be the main weapon. It's never going away so either you like it or the game isn't for you.

-Set your sensitivity to all 30s and 10s. You need to be able to aim and look as fast as possible to maneuver around and kill. Once you get used to that then adjust as you see fit.

-Don't get too dependent on power weapons like Boomshots and Snipers as they won't always be there. Being proficient and comfortable with your starting layout will take you a long way.

-Be prepared to face parties and groups in ranked. Coupled with the bad matchmaking alot of matches you might get trounced. Don't feel bad just take it as a learning experience and go on to the next match.

-Region Hopping is a big thing right now. It's when someone from outside of the US plays on US servers. For some reason this game doesn't have anything in place to stop it. This can make those players very laggy and make fighting them a pain in the rear end as they'll eat bullets and kill you.

-Try to save Coins/scrap until they put out something you really want. The Coalition are really scummy with these packs/skins.

Use this to add Windows 10 games to Steam: https://brianlima.github.io/UWPHook/

A fix for the windows store download bug: https://www.reddit.com/r/forza/comments/54coxq/fh3_redownloading_fix_pc/

Gears 4 Horde for Dummies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVg72_Wl7hE

Movement stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa7jW-6twog

WALL BOUNCING
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMHPrH3O_2M

RBX fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I remember when I was in highschool me and my pals had lots of fun quoting all the dialog in the first two gears of war video games.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
I'd really like to know if Crossplay works as intended because all I really want to do is play Horde w/ my Xbox-owning friends and family.

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog

FuriousGeorge posted:

I'd really like to know if Crossplay works as intended because all I really want to do is play Horde w/ my Xbox-owning friends and family.

Same, I'm only buying this to gently caress around in horde mode with buds, hope I can play with them on PC.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I don't know why they pussied out and didn't allow cross play multiplayer.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

RBX posted:

I don't know why they pussied out and didn't allow cross play multiplayer.

Mircosoft tried this with Halo and mouse users players completely destroy controller users. Probably just too much work in general through.

BexGu fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 7, 2016

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Gears 2 had a debacle? I don't remember that. It's the one I played most. Never touched 3.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Didn't call the thread Gears Of Four smdh

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Gears 2 was a broken mess plagued with lengthy animations for everything in multi-player, bad decisions, akward feeling gameplay, they got rid of the browser and put in matchmaking which was garbage. It was so bad it made me and most of my people quit the series and most never came back.

They claim to have fixed it but the core game wasn't good. SP was fine the.

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
Gears 2 had a pretty drat good campaign, sadly I agree about the multiplayer I alway felt there was something wrong with it at the time. (then again I have always been trash at gears MP)

Still loved it though.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Gears virgin here. Can I get some general tips for competitive multiplayer?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

96 spacejam posted:

go back in time to 2007 when there wasn't better mp games to play

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

96 spacejam posted:

Stick with your team and try to get away if multiple players with shotguns are coming toward you. Make sure to spot enemies you see when you can by aiming at them and clicking the left stick.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

My favorite part of Gears was when the blond soulja-boi yells "LOCUST REINFORCEMENTS!" and a single locust comes through the door.

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009
yeyo42069 if anyone wants to play. Turns out Im only good at gears1 and gears:ue mp rip me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Gears has always had pretty solid campaigns, judgement being the lazy exception.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

I also liked when Mr. Gears would revive his homies he'd yell "FIGHT THROUGH THE PAIN!" and that was enough to get them up from a gunshot wound. Manly as gently caress.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There better be carmine junior in this game to get digested by bugs or get his head blown off.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Arcsquad12 posted:

There better be carmine junior in this game to get digested by bugs or get his head blown off.

There is an outsider Carmine in the first hour of the game. I'm disappointed he's not a multiplayer skin.

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

Glad I can at least play Horde and campaign with my Xbox owning friends. I guess I'll have to skip competitive multiplayer since this is on my couch-PC and I don't want to get destroyed by twitchy mouse users. Add me if you want to shoot aliens together: GT Tele Viper

Does anyone know if this has the multiplayer bots like in GoW3? They were great to practice on.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
Add me: S1Nx81

I have no gears friends yet :(

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

barren_sky posted:

Glad I can at least play Horde and campaign with my Xbox owning friends. I guess I'll have to skip competitive multiplayer since this is on my couch-PC and I don't want to get destroyed by twitchy mouse users. Add me if you want to shoot aliens together: GT Tele Viper

Does anyone know if this has the multiplayer bots like in GoW3? They were great to practice on.

That's if there is even a player base on PC as Gears UE was dead in a month or so.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I want to play a Gears of War game with an openly gay protagonist. Just throwing that out there.

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009

mfny posted:

Add me: S1Nx81

I have no gears friends yet :(

I didnt see u on last night.

barren_sky posted:

There's definitely bots in casual quickplay plus i think u can crossplay in custom mp matches.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Mr. Gears was pretty gay in the first game.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

This game is good

Where's Execution though

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
Oh so we can play horde with pc folks, nice! To be honest that's one of the main reason I'm buying this, love me some horde mode!

That and I don't want to leave yeyo alone to fend for himself.

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009

BobbyBaudoin posted:

Oh so we can play horde with pc folks, nice! To be honest that's one of the main reason I'm buying this, love me some horde mode!

That and I don't want to leave yeyo alone to fend for himself.
Nice, horde is definitely cool but doubly with friends.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Is it at all possible to change sprint from A to holding down left trigger like in every other game? My muscles can only hold so much memory.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Beat the campaign. It was okay.

I love how the game goes to great lengths to say that the Swarm aren't Locust but then you find out they are indeed Locust.:rolleyes: Interesting direction they are going with Kait being the granddaughter of the Locust Queen. JD and Del also really suck and I hope Gears 5 stars Kait. Old bald Baird owns.

When is the first DLC supposed to drop?

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

96 spacejam posted:

To expand on

SeANMcBAY posted:

Stick with your team and try to get away if multiple players with shotguns are coming toward you. Make sure to spot enemies you see when you can by aiming at them and clicking the left stick.

Since Gears 1 players with Gnasher Shotguns perfected a combat style known as the Gnasher Torpedo, where they roll into you and fire the gnasher right after the roll (you will die if you're in their roll range when they have the gnasher out). This is one of the reasons that there hasn't been a nerf to the gnasher in any of the games because people would complain about not using the tactic effectively anymore.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Gears 2 had a really good campaign. Gears 3 campaign sucked except for the part where you go to the resort near the end. Gears 1 also had a fun campaign and the nightfall gimmick was something that I wish they used more. That level was really cool.

I also used to piss everyone off by strictly chainsawing everyone in Gears of War 1.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Chainsawing was hosed up in one as the game was lag city already, it sucked you in, and you were invulnerable.

I don't know what the hell a "gnasher torpedo" is but the best way to get good is don't cry about shotguns and learn to use it. You can carry any game with good enough shotgun play. Practice wall bouncing and shooting, shooting from cover, the run and shoot.

Try not to roll directly at players and with no cover. You'll get one shot by good players unless you get lucky.

Two people lancering someone is better than one and coordinated fire is really powerful.

Use cover to maneuver around at all time. Walking around the map alone is equally bad.

Don't try to revive if an enemy is front of you, kill him first.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Just finished installing this :getin:

GT is PKdeGallo

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I remember when I was in highschool me and my pals had lots of fun quoting all the dialog in the first two gears of war video games.

It's a giant worm! They're sinking cities with a giant worm!

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Lumpy the Cook posted:

It's a giant worm! They're sinking cities with a giant worm!

I never understood this part of that campaign. So they find out that a giant worm is sinking cities, and their solution is to rush to another city and try to sink it before the worm does?

Also the level with the lab is still one of my favorite levels.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I'll be picking this up sometime Tuesday. GT: Lumpy the Cook

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

I never understood this part of that campaign. So they find out that a giant worm is sinking cities, and their solution is to rush to another city and try to sink it before the worm does?

Also the level with the lab is still one of my favorite levels.

IIRC the reason the Locust were sinking those places was to systematically destroy their own underground network to prevent the Lambent from spreading further, so you decide to "help" them by sinking the last section (under Jacinto) before the Locust can evacuate the tunnels, killing most of the Locust on the planet, but losing the last human city.

I could be off, it's been ~6 years since I played Gears 2 last.

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009

marathon Stairmaster sesh posted:

To expand on

Since Gears 1 players with Gnasher Shotguns perfected a combat style known as the Gnasher Torpedo, where they roll into you and fire the gnasher right after the roll (you will die if you're in their roll range when they have the gnasher out). This is one of the reasons that there hasn't been a nerf to the gnasher in any of the games because people would complain about not using the tactic effectively anymore.

Not a nerf but they've buffed the lancer now so eveyone uses it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

beaner69 posted:

Not a nerf but they've buffed the lancer now so eveyone uses it.

The enforcer is also really effective against gnashers.

• Locked thread