Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Of watch some videos to see if it's in your wheelhouse. Its a single line operation so a lot of time is spent playing shunting puzzles to get the freight in order and then drop it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

I only played it for a little over an hour, but in that time I did not care for it. The UI was designed by people who seemingly set out to implement as many UX worst practices as they possibly could (though if you're in this thread that probably shouldn't be a problem for you), and the actual train driving is by far the weakest of any comparable game I've played.

The switching puzzle and industry management looks compelling based on videos I've seen, but I didn't get very deep into that before refunding. Which I had to do because it does the thing a lot of low-budget Unity games do where it accepts any and all controller input without making any controller settings available to turn off or rebind that input to something besides "scroll menus at random as fast as possible." I'm not unplugging my flight/racing sim gear just to play a mediocre game so into the bin it went.

Theris fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Mar 31, 2024

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

tater_salad posted:

Of watch some videos to see if it's in your wheelhouse. Its a single line operation so a lot of time is spent playing shunting puzzles to get the freight in order and then drop it off.

I’m trying to design a game where you have a yard. Break up manifests into locals etc so it definitely sounds up my alley… None of the videos I have seen seem to really go beyond the initial couple of hours so it’s hard to tell but i can dig a bit deeper I guess.

The control issues sound annoying especially as I’ll be on deck. I have seen a couple videos of it playing on deck though so it might be ok.

I’ll probably hold off for now I just really want to do some slightly crunchy logistical stuff and nothing really seems to hit that. Maybe it’s time to dive back into rail route…

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

LeFishy posted:

I’m trying to design a game where you have a yard. Break up manifests into locals etc so it definitely sounds up my alley… None of the videos I have seen seem to really go beyond the initial couple of hours so it’s hard to tell but i can dig a bit deeper I guess.

It's the same thing, just for longer tracks. You don't ever really get a full yard. Just a handful of sidings.
I'll just keep waiting for derail valley to get a ln economy which would be cool.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

tater_salad posted:

I'll just keep waiting for derail valley to get a ln economy which would be cool.

Might be waiting a while; It's planned for their "Foundation 4" update, which they currently have scheduled for "2025+."

At least if their previous major updates are any indication, it'll be worth the wait.

Edit: their whole roadmap is here.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah am aware... Maybe world of steam will come before dv update.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

StarkRavingMad posted:

I know the game pretty well at this point, but I still install a mod to show me whether the wrench I'm using is too big or too small, and something that lets me bring up a minimap if I need it. And I still look up a guide for the drat electrical wiring.

Tbf no mechanic or electrician is going to know a wiring diagram by memory and would consult one first

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Anyone played Simutrans? Thoughts?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

It's free just friggin play it.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Elendil004 posted:

Anyone played Simutrans? Thoughts?

Simutrans is an alternate reality OpenTTD. While TT was designed by a Brit, Simutrans was made by a German dude. I’m sure there’s a coherent argument to be made how that influences things, but I’m down with a flu and a toddler.

One thing I always enjoyed more in Simutrans is the feeling of scale - cities and inter-city distances feel more realistic. A truly massive mountain can be a challenge. There’s also more freeform building of station, airports and ports which I always enjoy. The canal building and ship transport goes into some fantastic detail. Trams and intra-city busses are also much more fun than in TTD.

In theory, maps can have infinite sized bottlenecked only by your processing power, though last time I checked a few years ago a 4096x4096 USA map almost murdered my computer. You can also expand you map with a new section - towns and all - during play, which is a fantastic feature.

The Experimental branch is it’s own type of insanity, run by a single dude for the past decade or two, though I haven’t checked lately if he’s still going. It has some great details implemented and a timeline going to something like the XVIII century.

Simutran’s interface is absolute eurojank, but you learn to live with it. There’s a notable Japanese community that makes fantastic stuff and maps in their own .pak.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

tater_salad posted:

Sometimes it's nice to now whether it's worth investing time in something when you could have spent that time driving a train up and down the valley.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

tater_salad posted:

How was it, Tater?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

How was it, Tater?

I didn't really find it interesting in the little bit I played it.

25 fps on a system yay runs most sim racing titles at full/ ultra 1440p 144fps

There's no icons for industry so hope you like clicking on buildings

The interface is like if you told someone make open ttd but worse and more cumbersome.

Not my bag but I'm sure some people enjoy it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I had pretty much the same experience with Simutrans. It's appealing, because it has a bunch of really cool features that are either absent from openTTD or supported only with really gross hacks, like subways, trams, and elevated LRT/monorails, and some of the paksets are prettier than anything you can find in openttd's newgrfs, but I found the UI so awkward that I put it down after a few hours and have never gone back to it. Also, the documentation is absolute garbage compared to openTTD, and the lack of an in-game pakset manager is unfortunate.

I'll probably try it again sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I got Tunnet finally and I'm having agood time. Apparently I got into it right at the correct time because an update went out recently that added a way of dealing with hackers and also colored cables, which I am still trying to find.