Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

swordfish duelist posted:

Looks like Hydroneer finally got its 2.0 update. Includes multi-player as well.

Anyone who hasn't played it, it's a mining sim that has a bit of charm in its jankiness. Everything is water powered including your tractor.

It's also on sale for USD 7.

Ooo poo poo, I was waiting for this! Excited to try it out.

Want to second that it’s got a really weird charm to it. It hits the very “hands on and physically simulated” aspect of many of these niche games with just enough factory and automation to give it a very, very gentle “factory game” flavor without being hyper complex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Gas Station Simulator is about to release a new customize-everything DLC in a few days and they've patched up for it. One of the changes in the new patch is that drivers of delivery trucks now stay in their cab while you unload the truck in your warehouse, instead of hanging around outside and eventually climbing in and driving off. Now once you've taken the last box out of the truck the driver immediately drives off, leaving the trailer doors wide open. Immersive gameplay at its finest.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I keep booting up Hydroneer expecting to kill 15 minutes before a meal and completely losing track of time and now I'm an hour late eating lunch.

Still needs something like the MSC shop bags or Landlords Super delivery truck for bulk transport but pallets and carts are almost there when they aren't launching your truck to orbit.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

zedprime posted:

I keep booting up Hydroneer expecting to kill 15 minutes before a meal and completely losing track of time and now I'm an hour late eating lunch.

Still needs something like the MSC shop bags or Landlords Super delivery truck for bulk transport but pallets and carts are almost there when they aren't launching your truck to orbit.

Solo only right?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Hydroneer has the weird steam split screen multiplayer, apparently.

It’s a weird game that works super well for me and it shouldn’t. Most games that fit a lot of the same descriptors of it don’t sit well - it really doesn’t have much beyond a treadmill of making more numbers, there’s a lot of weirdness and lifelessness… but it’s just so tactile that it’s fun. More games need to be that level of tactile and physical.

I need to get a good start on another playthrough of Landlord’s Super now that it’s got free build. That game is really good for the weird tactile-ness.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Anyone know of any simulation games that actually have a failstate? I'd love to be able to actually screw up in things like PC Builder but it literally won't let me. No game lets me gently caress up as hard as My Summer Car lol

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/311260/The_Guild_3/

The Guild 3 is out of early access. For whatever that's worth.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Been playing two games on opposite ends of the spectrum.

Farming Simulator 22 for when I want my tractor to make me relaxed.

My Summer Car for when I want my tractor to give me endless stress while I swear in Finnish and pray I finally got all the parts I need.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I used the Steam sale to dip into Mon Bazou and Slaverian Trucker. I haven't slav trucked yet but Mon Bazou is remarkably laid back for a game based on Summer Car. All the generator fueling and tube running make me want to play Gold Rush the Game of all things.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Gold rush would rule if it had MP. There is a gold rush MP game I tried with some friends except like you got out of the car then it would launch into orbit.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Is that hydroneer?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
No its literally Gold Rush The Game because it is a gold rush game with the rights to famous Discovery show Gold Rush.

Good game if you like excavators, cords, buckets, and playing the lottery with the patch cycle whether its going to crash every 15 minutes or glitch out the reference anchors of equipment to your truck bed so when you drive your truck around, stuff you have taken off still translates like its on the truck.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

tater_salad posted:

Gold rush would rule if it had MP. There is a gold rush MP game I tried with some friends except like you got out of the car then it would launch into orbit.

wow, that's all we are to you now is 'friends'

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Blue On Blue posted:

wow, that's all we are to you now is 'friends'

Fine would you prefer "random internet strangers I play games with. "

Edit: I really haven't had any bad crashes with Gold rush it just gets super monotonous

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

tater_salad posted:

Fine would you prefer "random internet strangers I play games with. "

Edit: I really haven't had any bad crashes with Gold rush it just gets super monotonous

is the gold rush game still being worked on?

when we played it - it was so bad i think we all just gave up

pretty sure i didnt refund it though

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

zedprime posted:

I used the Steam sale to dip into Mon Bazou and Slaverian Trucker. I haven't slav trucked yet but Mon Bazou is remarkably laid back for a game based on Summer Car. All the generator fueling and tube running make me want to play Gold Rush the Game of all things.

The new update to Mon Bazou is pretty cool. To get the new grow area you have to bring 12 big packs of weed to the new dealers and then pay them $40,000, so you have to be fairly far along to do it. After you do that, it takes 6 or 7 days.

spoiling the rest in case people want to keep it a surprise:

You get a message that says "the bunker is done, look to the drain on your bathtub." So I go in thinking "ok, so is the key in the bathtub or something?" There's a spot to push on the bathtub drain and the whole tub LIFTS UP on hydraulic risers to reveal a hidden staircase, which leads down to an enormous underground warehouse with 24 hour grow lights and an auto-watering system. You have to buy grow pots from the decoration store, but there's so much room down there to grow stuff. And an upgrade compost machine that you can throw extra potatoes in to make fertilizer and a "huge pack" upgrade machine so you can make a pack of 27 big packs to sell back to the dealers.

It's really well done and makes growing stuff really cool. Feels like a major upgrade in the same way getting the electric heater for the sugar shack does. I like that he's still doing such big updates, because I had reached the point of having done everything else in the game but I wanted to have a reason to keep playing.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Mon Bazou feels like the opposite extreme of the My Summer Car micro genre. For a while, My Summer Car hit a perfect note before doubling down in dick punching mechanics. Mon Bazou seems to borrow all of the weird jank vibes without providing anywhere near the same challenge that makes the jank feel appropriate.

One day we’ll get that perfect balance in a game again, I just know it.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

wilderthanmild posted:

Been playing two games on opposite ends of the spectrum.

Farming Simulator 22 for when I want my tractor to make me relaxed.

My Summer Car for when I want my tractor to give me endless stress while I swear in Finnish and pray I finally got all the parts I need.

I've been playing Farm Sim a lot for the last week or so. I've almost got my farm equipment to where I want it to be, I just need a new tractor I've almost enough for and some bailing equipment I'd take a loan for.

The problem is I was watching an LP of someone playing a Start from Scratch and the temptation is to begin again in that vein. I know I'll regret it if I do because my current farm is the furthest I've gotten in any Farm Sim save, and in about two years it'll hit an inflection point where it really takes off, but the allure of grinding out from small again is just strong. I think I might give it another few months because I'd imagine FS22 will be out for long enough soon that we'll see a few more great mod maps come out.

On another point, I think Giants are really cool devs, to such a point that I don't see a reason to buy the DLCs yet. They're really going for an approach where if you love their games you'll get the DLC at some point, instead of leaving gaps in the base game the DLC fills in. It's really refreshing when you look at the state of other devs in the industry. Never mind the support they put in for mods.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Mrenda posted:

I've been playing Farm Sim a lot for the last week or so. I've almost got my farm equipment to where I want it to be, I just need a new tractor I've almost enough for and some bailing equipment I'd take a loan for.

The problem is I was watching an LP of someone playing a Start from Scratch and the temptation is to begin again in that vein. I know I'll regret it if I do because my current farm is the furthest I've gotten in any Farm Sim save, and in about two years it'll hit an inflection point where it really takes off, but the allure of grinding out from small again is just strong. I think I might give it another few months because I'd imagine FS22 will be out for long enough soon that we'll see a few more great mod maps come out.

On another point, I think Giants are really cool devs, to such a point that I don't see a reason to buy the DLCs yet. They're really going for an approach where if you love their games you'll get the DLC at some point, instead of leaving gaps in the base game the DLC fills in. It's really refreshing when you look at the state of other devs in the industry. Never mind the support they put in for mods.

I've never done a start from scratch game. I always go with the middle "farm manager" option. Maybe I should try that or at least some form of farming other than grains.

I don't think I've ever bought one of their DLC either, but I do love their mod support. Among the best games I've played in that regard.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I've decided Mon Bazou is a car focused My Time at Portia but it has way less to do. Not bad but kind of thin to fully immerse yourself in.

Galick posted:

Anyone know of any simulation games that actually have a failstate? I'd love to be able to actually screw up in things like PC Builder but it literally won't let me. No game lets me gently caress up as hard as My Summer Car lol
Getting into Slaverian Trucker now and I think its the only other answer to this.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Is Slaverian trucker at all ‘chunky’ in content? I like everything it’s trying to do but I strongly suspect it’s a “what you see in the trailer is the whole game” and there’s not really much depth to it once you get past the “wasteland Russian drug truck summer car” vibe. That’s cool and all but the initial “wow cool” feels like an afternoon sort of game and not a “play it for awhile” game.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Spending a bit more time with it, Slaverian Trucker feels like a chunkier Sailwind. Moving around is the main point, everything in there has to do with that. The extra bit it has compared to Sailwind is the exploration and upgrade aspect. There's multiple vehicles you piece out from wreck finds and shops which gives something substantial to do beside number go up.

I don't know that it qualifies it as absolutely substantial. There is still nothing like MSC but I also think the gotchas in MSC are fun and avoidable by personal character, or else the save game editor. It's an unimpeachable GOAT.

But I guess Sailwind is another good example of survival game gently caress up town because you fall asleep and end up 50 miles from your target or get caught by a hurricane and hold on for dear life and tip over if you overloaded your boat.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
New Cooking Sim game coming soon!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2066740/ASMR_Food_Experience/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vOLnLXK9R8

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Powerwash Simulator is out on gamepass now.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
Man is there anything that would fit this thread on switch?

All that springs to mind is Farming Sim Switch Edition that I am pretty sure is based on 17. How was 17?

There aren't any other "doing a job" games really. Densha De Go is there but I'm more looking for the constant financial struggle while performing repetitive labour vibe.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

LeFishy posted:

I'm more looking for the constant financial struggle while performing repetitive labour vibe.

Animal Crossing :v:

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Sakuna's on switch. Half of it is a side-scroller action game; the other half is a ridiculously detailed simulation of growing paddy rice.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

LeFishy posted:

Man is there anything that would fit this thread on switch?

All that springs to mind is Farming Sim Switch Edition that I am pretty sure is based on 17. How was 17?

There aren't any other "doing a job" games really. Densha De Go is there but I'm more looking for the constant financial struggle while performing repetitive labour vibe.

Snowrunner seems like a perfect fit.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Mokotow posted:

SnowRunner is on Switch?? Time to lose 1000 hours.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Cooking Simulator and Thief Simulator are both on switch too.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

Mokotow posted:

This is me being reminded I have Snowrunner despite having hundreds of hours in it on switch. Thank you.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

and it crossplatforms so come play with us

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

How is Snowrunner on switch? I have played it on PC and liked it but my experience with games ported to Switch is that it tends to kill the performance or graphics a *lot*

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

CuddleCryptid posted:

How is Snowrunner on switch? I have played it on PC and liked it but my experience with games ported to Switch is that it tends to kill the performance or graphics a *lot*

It's a Sabre game so actually pretty alright, at least going by Mudrunner. It was 30fps and a bit blurry but honestly? Yeah totally fine

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
Sakuna is a lot of fun and pretty charming. I can see myself wasting a bunch of hours on this.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

CuddleCryptid posted:

It’s fine honestly. There are some low res assets and stuff but honestly I think it’s probably the second best switch port (after mud runner).

It does have one huge huge glaring issue that means I’ll probably never play hard mode. Rocks that appear from nowhere. Sometimes as you’re driving over them. Not sure if this is a pc issue too though as I never really got that far on pc. Played it, thought it was great, the switch port was announced shortly after and I went “oh yeah ok that sounds good”.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

skooma512 posted:

Powerwash Simulator is out on gamepass now.

That thing has stolen nearly two days from me.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/PowerWashSim/status/1547703239134494722

looking into the sun crashes powerwash sim on xbox lmao

nerox
May 20, 2001
You shouldn't look directly at the sun in real life either, so I am going to call that a sim feature, not a bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Okay so, are there any simulator games where you basically run a shop/store/workshop/whatever and make things for customers? The idea that came to mind was a gunsmith who did custom work for people and there's gunsmith simulator coming out *eventually* but that didn't quite hit the mark since that was restoring. I'm looking for a game where you make custom things for your customers, have to fit the criteria, etc. Closest thing was the PC builds you did for customers in PC Building Sim?