Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

nielsm posted:

Just once, I want to try the ultimate Nerd experience of getting 8 players or so to run a box, or even a pair of connected boxes, for a full 25 hours, in realtime, with no pausing.

And a ninth player whose full-time function is to announce the inevitable delays and cancellations over voice chat :v:

If Run-8 ever gets a proper commuter route we can have a multiplayer game with real people dispatching and real people driving. You can already do this, but the dispatching aspect is very minimal. Not a lot of trains and not that many different tracks to send trains to. You route that train into the yard entrance, but then you're done as the dispatcher. The yard crew does the rest of the routing. The dispatching focus is more about making sure to use the right passing loops (that the train can actually fit in), and making sure that the ones going uphill don't have to stop because it takes forever before they reach their top speed of 25 mph again.

fake edit: Run-8 v2 came out this weekend and apparently has AI trains and an improved dispatcher. Graphics still not very impressive but clearly improved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So is there much management stuff involved in Farming Sim 17 or is it basically more like "Tractor Simulator 17"?

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
The management aspect is p. minimal. The base game lets you hire AI drivers who help out. You don't have one tractor, you have many and you can only drive one at a time. With courseplay you can automate even more AI stuff, but it's all rather elaborate if you're just just looking for a management game.

I guess the management aspect is deciding how to grow your farm. What fields to buy next. What to plant. When to sell a crop. When to buy new tractors, etc. There is a lot of time spent driving tractors between these short management decision moments.

If you want a farm management game I think SimFarm is your best bet. It's ancient, but I don't think anything's surpassed it. I tried Farming World but it's essentially a freemium game with the microtransactions removed. But it still shows in the gameplay, you have to click things at regular intervals just to restore the status quo, and manually pick up experience points and poo poo like that. It's so basic, you can't really lose.

Stick Insect fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 7, 2016

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Been busy with real life stuff, and a spectacular weekend out shooting

So I'll be on tonight to go all 360 no scope on some crops

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So is there much management stuff involved in Farming Sim 17 or is it basically more like "Tractor Simulator 17"?

To add to what Stick Insect said, the big selling point of upcoming sim Cattle and Crops is that it's supposedly more management-based than Farming Simulator. Managing a workforce, planning ahead to meet demands and maximize profit, drooling over spreadsheets, etc. So maybe check out FS17 but maybe also keep an eye out for C&C.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Stick Insect posted:

If you want a farm management game I think SimFarm is your best bet. It's ancient, but I don't think anything's surpassed it.

You bullseyed what I was thinking of when I asked that. That was a fun game.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.
Is there a faster way of getting produce from the ground into a trailer than a conveyor? don't say skidloaders or I will commit seppuku

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Well, this is in the game for the sugar beets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U52Rtd8Bbc4

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Cling-Wrap Condom posted:

Is there a faster way of getting produce from the ground into a trailer than a conveyor? don't say skidloaders or I will commit seppuku

Don't force unload and pipe them into a trailer?

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

Modded conveyors? It may result in some strange behaviour. In FS15 w/ placeable piles, I'd modded trailers to have more capacity and unload faster. The pile of grain grew so fast it launched my trailer and tractor into the air.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

Panic Defense posted:

Well, this is in the game for the sugar beets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U52Rtd8Bbc4

yeah the issue I have is we've chucked all our little baby beets on the floor in a tantrum until there's a sale. When there is a sale those beets need to not be on the floor. Is the terra felis faster than a conveyor? can more than one conveyor fill the same implement/feed from the same pile?

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

yeah the issue I have is we've chucked all our little baby beets on the floor in a tantrum until there's a sale. When there is a sale those beets need to not be on the floor. Is the terra felis faster than a conveyor? can more than one conveyor fill the same implement/feed from the same pile?

Isn't there a special conveyor that will crate 'em up? Embrace XXXTREME HARDCORE REALISM and do it that way

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

Trustworthy posted:

Isn't there a special conveyor that will crate 'em up? Embrace XXXTREME HARDCORE REALISM and do it that way

I would rather die than interact with pallets

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice
Have any of you tried the auger wagons yet in FS17? I can only get the cheap one to load in this one specific position...anyone else having issues?

Fart Cannon fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Nov 11, 2016

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Never really saw the point, what's your goal?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Fart Cannon posted:

Have any of you tried the auger wagons yet in FS17? I can only get the cheap one to load in this one specific position...anyone else having issues?

I thought the idea was it can be trailed behind the harvester, so you don't have to stop when the harvester's internal compartment get's full

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Doesn't that only work if the harvester has a rear cute?

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

Maybe it's been fixed? Farming Sim just got a patch, which amongst other things contained

quote:

Fixed vehicle issues (graphic issues, triggers, particles)

Full changelog: https://www.farming-simulator.com/changelog-fs17.php?lang=en&country=gb

Elendil004 posted:

Never really saw the point, what's your goal?

Auger wagons aren't really necessary in the game because you never get stuck in the mud. They're used in real life to ferry loads between the harvester and big trucks that can't go onto the field, because of the weight and wheels.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Old paid DLC for FS15 like the ITRunner and Holmer packs are now free downloads for FS17, that was nice of them

https://farming-simulator.com/mod.php?lang=en&country=gb&mod_id=49828&title=fs2017
https://farming-simulator.com/mod.php?lang=en&country=gb&mod_id=54681&title=fs2017

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Elendil004 posted:

All the pedestrians in FS17 are zombies today.

I think an amazing opportunity was missed here.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

I'm curious what they're saving for the inevitable expansions. I'm guessing the Fendt 1000 and Katana are a given, but I'm completely out of ideas on others. I hope it's Gleaner.

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice

Stick Insect posted:

Maybe it's been fixed? Farming Sim just got a patch, which amongst other things contained

Full changelog: https://www.farming-simulator.com/changelog-fs17.php?lang=en&country=gb

Auger wagons aren't really necessary in the game because you never get stuck in the mud. They're used in real life to ferry loads between the harvester and big trucks that can't go onto the field, because of the weight and wheels.

Patch fixed it! :woop:

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

mackintosh posted:

I'm curious what they're saving for the inevitable expansions. I'm guessing the Fendt 1000 and Katana are a given, but I'm completely out of ideas on others. I hope it's Gleaner.

Probably a new map w/ a bunch of tractors at some point, that seems to be the tradition.

And I hope we'll see the classics pack for FS17 again because I like using cheap slow tractors for courseplay things, and for use on tiny maps.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

This is fine

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Holy poo poo, I was complaining in a video earlier this week about how I wished FS17 had Soilmod-like growth cycle timing, with growth universally triggering at midnight rather than when you're halfway through some random damned field. And suddenly a mod that does exactly that exists!

And FollowMe is out too!

Both on FS-UK (or, at least, links to both are there. I think one's actually on ModHub and one's on ModHoster.)

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

Elendil004 posted:

This is fine

Are you uh

are you in the air here

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

Trustworthy posted:

Holy poo poo, I was complaining in a video earlier this week about how I wished FS17 had Soilmod-like growth cycle timing, with growth universally triggering at midnight rather than when you're halfway through some random damned field. And suddenly a mod that does exactly that exists!

And FollowMe is out too!

Both on FS-UK (or, at least, links to both are there. I think one's actually on ModHub and one's on ModHoster.)

I believe Soilmod started out as a mod to make plants grow at midnight, and then evolved into what it is now.

Pretty much all the good non-vehicle mods are out for FS17 now, like GPSmod and DriveControl. And that one that doesn't change the camera angle when buildings get in the way

Elendil004 posted:

This is fine

These things just sort of happen. That bridge's ledge is pretty solid, it did nothing.

On the bright side, the dude running the server got fed up with my accidents and gave me admin privileges so I could reset my own vehicles back to base :v:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

What map are you guys playing on and also why aren't you playing with us

also

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Sorry can't play tonight. I have steak to eat

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Thats ok Tater bailed out too and since nobody else plays with us it's a break night I guess.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

gently caress the steak wasn't even worth it.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I feel very left out over here in my bad idiot timezone.

Has anyone played that german firetruck sim? is it cool and good, or dumb bad garbage for idiot babies?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Has anyone played that german firetruck sim? is it cool and good, or dumb bad garbage for idiot babies?

What is your timezone?

also check out these graphics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAQyEiV6vMU

It does kind of make me want to get a silage cutter and just go all in on biogas production with a crazy setup of conveyors.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Do the Germans have a bus simulator? That seems like something that'd be right up thekr alley. Make schedules, keep things running on time and drive around big trucks! Who could say no to that?

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Do the Germans have a bus simulator? That seems like something that'd be right up thekr alley. Make schedules, keep things running on time and drive around big trucks! Who could say no to that?

You mean, besides OMSI? :confused:

edit: There's Fernbus, I guess, although I'm guessing that's still a Bad Sim.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 17, 2016

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

Elendil004 posted:

What is your timezone?

also check out these graphics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAQyEiV6vMU

It does kind of make me want to get a silage cutter and just go all in on biogas production with a crazy setup of conveyors.

UTC +10:00

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Well there's Bus Simulator 16

It's not horrible.

Decent for a first effort in the genre

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 17, 2016

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

An action-oriented firefighting game seems like a no-brainer, but I've never really heard of anything outside of minigames or some weird old 8/16-bit era stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
OMSI's got nice physics and great sound, but the graphics and performance are bad.

The interface is also a bit confusing, and it'll take a while before you figure out how to start the bus and get it moving. Because pretty much every button on the dashboard does something.

OMSI is as German as it gets, with ticket prices and routes changing depending on the era you simulate. It was made by some dudes who were nostalgic about the bus they used to ride to school. I only have the base game and one of the older Vienna expansions where the route leaves the city, so you can floor it.

Stick Insect fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 17, 2016