Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

Truga posted:

Welp, I got the humble tycoon bundle, because I didn't have big pharma yet and car mechanic simulator looks a version of street rod without the annoying (racing) part :v:
https://www.humblebundle.com/tycoon-simulator-bundle

It also includes train simulator, so I'll give it a go.

car mechanic sim is a meditative experience. The dlc for the lovely rear engine 4cyl european car is so great, that thing is a bastard to disassemble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Don't you dare dissing the maluch :poland:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
One of my neighbours drove that in the early/mid 90s, thus I had zero issue taking it apart :v:

Still remember the distinct sound those polish fiats made.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Everyone owned a Maluch (or Nikki, as it was known in export markets) here in the 80s and all the teens did in the 90s. Owning one was a right of passage. It's very easy to disassemble and put back together. Even my mother could do it, and she did on numerous occasions because the domestic version was a piece of poo poo that kept falling apart. 59s to 100km/h with a tailwind, baby.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Where I live, late 80s was a 4 way split between TAS golf, zastava 101, 126 and 500 :v:

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I have just dehumanized myself and faced to Farm Sim 17. I've never played one of these before. Does there exist a list of both or either "necessary" mods (I've heard like soil mod and stuff mentioned?) and good mods?

I can go looking if not, just wondering.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I have just dehumanized myself and faced to Farm Sim 17. I've never played one of these before. Does there exist a list of both or either "necessary" mods (I've heard like soil mod and stuff mentioned?) and good mods?

I can go looking if not, just wondering.

The official website has a list of 'top' mods, that's a good place to start

alternatively if you play multiplayer you'll get a list of required mods to play on a specific server when trying to join

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Join the discord we still play sometimes

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Elendil004 posted:

Join the discord we still play sometimes

Don't lie to him, you and your Warframe.

Pfft

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Sappo569 posted:

Don't lie to him, you and your Warframe.

Pfft

You haven't been around! :D

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Digestate is just the slurry produced by the BGA, right? Or am I thinking of something else?

On a related FS note, there's an update out for Old Streams, which is a highly underrated little Bavarian map for people like me who know the sacred truth that tiny tractors in tiny fields XXXREME HARDCORE RULEZZZ

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I'm a little bummed that the game seems a bit higher of a 'layer' in simulation than I hoped. Driving anything is pretty much just gas and go, basically hold the key down or set cruise. I'm coming recently off of My Summer Car and previous Truck Sim, so I was thinking I'd be seeing weird gearboxes and stuff and a little more of that depth. There are an absolute ton of controls though so maybe I'm missing it?

It feels like Farm Sim is a bit more the management of the farm at a business level with some random "I also want to plow fields" tossed in.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I'm a little bummed that the game seems a bit higher of a 'layer' in simulation than I hoped. Driving anything is pretty much just gas and go, basically hold the key down or set cruise. I'm coming recently off of My Summer Car and previous Truck Sim, so I was thinking I'd be seeing weird gearboxes and stuff and a little more of that depth. There are an absolute ton of controls though so maybe I'm missing it?

It feels like Farm Sim is a bit more the management of the farm at a business level with some random "I also want to plow fields" tossed in.

Yeah it's basically playing tractors in the sandbox out of the box. Which I've put almost 200 hrs into so I must like that.

Eventually stuff like direct drive and soil mod and mud mods will come out and make it a little better, but there isn't going to be hand throttles, hydrostatic transmission, dealing with field height variances, field scrapers, worrying about moisture levels, seasons, soil compaction, dynamic terrain, forrest management, etc. any time soon

Mind you, I saw a Case IH Steiger demo where the driver set up his tractor, turned on the GPS and computers, then flipped the steering wheel up cuz he didn't need it any more.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

Jonny Nox posted:

Mind you, I saw a Case IH Steiger demo where the driver set up his tractor, turned on the GPS and computers, then flipped the steering wheel up cuz he didn't need it any more.

true ballers remove the entire steering column and dismount the vehicle

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Jonny Nox posted:

Yeah it's basically playing tractors in the sandbox out of the box. Which I've put almost 200 hrs into so I must like that.

Eventually stuff like direct drive and soil mod and mud mods will come out and make it a little better, but there isn't going to be hand throttles, hydrostatic transmission, dealing with field height variances, field scrapers, worrying about moisture levels, seasons, soil compaction, dynamic terrain, forrest management, etc. any time soon

Yeah I think I'll come to appreciate it a bit more with time, just not what I expected out of the box. I really love the level of Truck sim right now, I feel like it hits the perfect trifecta being the right amount of "game"/rpg/management, simulation, and polish.

Edit: and now several hours later I'm constantly thinking "God I don't think I like this game. It's really just doing the same things over and over again. I'm going to put it down after I plow/seed/harvest this next field."

I've said that six times now. This is how it starts isn't it?

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 13, 2016

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Farming Simulator is a causal game about driving things around a make believe happy farm. You can't dumb this poo poo down any more than they have. It's atrocious and it's egregious how bad that game is, but because there's no competition everyone plays it. I have so many hours on 15 & 17 it isn't remotely funny.

Hopefully Cattle & Crops will be the simulator everyone wants and deserves. And that it puts GIANTS out of business. God knows they deserve it.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Oh nice, that makes two possibly good farming sims coming out next year!

Koriar
Apr 22, 2010

Edit: and now several hours later I'm constantly thinking "God I don't think I like this game. It's really just doing the same things over and over again. I'm going to put it down after I plow/seed/harvest this next field."

I've said that six times now. This is how it starts isn't it?

When I first started with FS13 I was sending messages to several friends to the effect of "I am not having fun why am I still playing this" and "please help" which worried them a bit. It worried them more when I also bought FS15 and 17 and have a combined 150 hours in them.

So, that is very explicitly how it started for me. At this point I've just accepted it and started playing it when I want to watch something on my other monitor.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

mackintosh posted:

Farming Simulator is a causal game about driving things around a make believe happy farm. You can't dumb this poo poo down any more than they have. It's atrocious and it's egregious how bad that game is, but because there's no competition everyone plays it. I have so many hours on 15 & 17 it isn't remotely funny.

Hopefully Cattle & Crops will be the simulator everyone wants and deserves. And that it puts GIANTS out of business. God knows they deserve it.

drat, how do you even get crops to grow with all that salt?

Farming Simulator is a fine game. It's more casual out-of-the-box than I'd like, but it's certainly still in a top tier of games with Simulator in the title. This year's edition adds slightly deeper levels of realism and immersion than past versions, and continuously developing realism mods have always let us sperglords drill down much deeper into xxxtreme hardcore realism poo poo. Do you even Soilmod, son? Do you ghostride dat Gearbox?

I really hope Cattle & Crops is awesome too, but I've gotten more hours of enjoyment out of the Farming Simulator series than just about any game short of an Elder Scrolls or Fallout. It's relatively polished, highly moddable, and fun. I hope pressure from competition forces Giants to improve and excel, but I also hope the devs make lots of money so they can keep making cool sims. God knows they deserve it.

edit: I'm genuinely worried that C&C is going to be the Fernbus of farm sims.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 13, 2016

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I dunno dudes. I enjoy playing farming simulator sometimes and also other dumb games for babby like construction simulator

I'd also probably enjoy playing game playing simulator 2018 when it comes out on VR

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Farming Sim is fun, you get in discord chat with goons and drive in a circle and make money to buy better circle driving machines.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Join the Discord and you can hear me rank the farming equipment by how likely it is to rip your dick off.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Deviant posted:

Join the Discord and you can hear me rank the farming equipment by how likely it is to rip your dick off.

and make fun of sappo

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

well everyone makes fun of sappo on discord

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Kilonum posted:

well everyone makes fun of sappo on discord

coming from you this is one of the best things.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

:airquote: gently caress you all :airquote:

Sunday I should have time for farming

If you all are done playing dead gay babby goty

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Sappo569 posted:

:airquote: gently caress you all :airquote:

Sunday I should have time for farming

If you all are done playing dead gay babby goty

I wouldn't mind a little farming.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I've been playing around with a bunch of mod maps and so far only Coldborough Park fits the bill properly. Cause it a modhub map though there's no chopped straw mod which makes things easier imho. I've had a crash course in including it which has only hosed up once but it is fixable I just put one bit of code in the wrong spot and the instructions weren't super clear about it

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I don't want to talk about how long I spent on that.

(not very long)

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Any must have mods for FS17?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Robo Reagan posted:

Any must have mods for FS17?

From Giants:
Crop destruction
Dirty wheels
Ground effects

On the Giants website
GPS Mod
Lizard Rodeo with tension straps

I really like the John Deere 6R that I think is on Modhoster.com

Still in Beta is courseplay which can be installed but it is complicated

Missing for now is showing vehicle status, soil mod.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Random FS17 question, just in case anybody knows off the top of their head... Is it okay to leave Chopped Straw enabled on a map that doesn't have it implemented? I like the look of the chopped straw layer even if it isn't providing fertilization, but I'm slightly worried that it might mess with something under the hood.

MY COOL FS17 LIVEJOURNAL JANUARY UPDATE:

I'm currently playing on (and liking) the latest version of Coldborough. I'd been craving something bigger and more English than my favorite little Bavarian map The Old Stream (which got a major overhaul recently and is better and more beautiful than ever). BulletBill's stuff (i.e., Coldborough) always seems kind of lifeless to me, but at least it doesn't have hovering buildings and unadorned 2-D borders right next to fields like loving Chellington. OxygenDavid's maps (i.e., Chellington, Sandy Bay) have traditionally been some of my favorites, but only after the Redux guy gets in there and cleans up all of OD's sloppy bullshit.

So anyway, tut tut, Coldborough it is for now, guvnah. At least until Tommx decides to crawl out of his chav-hole and release a functional version of Knaveswell for 17.

THIS HAS BEEN MY COOL FS17 LIVEJOURNAL JANUARY UPDATE THANKS FOR READING PLZ LIKE COMMENT AND SUBSCRIBE

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Run 8 v2 had an update recently. Finally the game has shadows. And also new is that AI trains will call signals out on the radio. You can configure how much they call out with a slider that goes from "off" via "reasonable" to "CSX".

I still haven't tried the multiplayer element. There are some servers around but they're all very focused on doing things "prototypically" which I believe can get in the way of fun.

Truga posted:

I'm not giving dovetail money for their ancient poo poo and run-8 doesn't look like it does steam at all. Please tell me there's something good for steam out there. Double good if it has passable 19th century content.

The FEF-3 is probably the best steam loco simulation you can get at the moment. It needs Dovetail's game though, but this locomotive specifically is developed by Smokebox, a different company. http://store.steampowered.com/app/277740/

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I ended up getting TrainSim in one of the humble bundles, and that thing has been super tempting since, but then I found the smokebox blog:
http://mikerenniesmodels.blogspot.si/

I'm probably going to resist buying that and end up just buying this new thing when it releases instead. If it's half as good as FEF-3, it'll be more than good enough for me.

I mean, just look at it:

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Dovetail is running a stream of the fancy new graphics Train Simulator if anyone cares

https://www.twitch.tv/dovetailgames

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Dovetail is running a stream of the fancy new graphics Train Simulator if anyone cares

I see they still are basically DLC Simulator 3 trains 5 routes.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I don't care any more. Lost all interest in train simulation because of those twats and I don't care what miracle snake oil they're peddling now.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

mackintosh posted:

I don't care any more. Lost all interest in train simulation because of those twats and I don't care what miracle snake oil they're peddling now.

It's supposed to be a complete remake in Unreal Engine 4, instead of the ancient cobbled together poo poo. Theoretically it means they've had a chance to fix all the core simulation faults that made the old RW/TS poo poo. On the other hand they're probably still most focused on being Scenery Simulator (viewed from trains).

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah I'm dubious that all the weird problems with the old one, such as impossible to meet timetables, had much to do with it being on an old engine. Maybe I am wrong though.

The train looked nice in the preview but all the scenery still looked kind of like poo poo to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

From my own experiments with making scenarios, the insane timetables come down to two things. First to give "challenge", since the rest of the simulation is too flawed/simplified to give any on its own. Second, the AI driver and dispatcher AIs are not exactly intelligent and require large amounts of spacing to not give up, meaning you have to resort to dumb tricks.
Things that could have given interesting challenge but are not possible would be e.g. the dispatcher dynamically choosing between letting you or a crossing train in on a station first, depending on how well you've adhered to the timetable.