Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Galick posted:

Okay so, are there any simulator games where you basically run a shop/store/workshop/whatever and make things for customers? The idea that came to mind was a gunsmith who did custom work for people and there's gunsmith simulator coming out *eventually* but that didn't quite hit the mark since that was restoring. I'm looking for a game where you make custom things for your customers, have to fit the criteria, etc. Closest thing was the PC builds you did for customers in PC Building Sim?

Cooking Simulator has this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
I feel like I may have made a post almost identical to this pretty recently but I've got the farming itch once more.

My shortlist at this time are:
FS19 - Cheap, seems ok, I guess it needs modding to be as ... automatable as
FS22 - Not as cheap, looks like it has some fun dumb supply chain things
FS Switch Edition - I think this is basically a port of 17. It being on switch would be nice but I also think most of these games will run on my potato laptop
Ranch Sim - I know it's stupid but I also love building in games so this would scratch that too
Dinkum - This one is a long shot but see above

Any particular yes/nos from that list? I see FS22 is on Gamepass which I've let lapse recently but could happily resub for a month to pootle about in I guess. Anything I've missed that might scratch the itch.

It doesn't even have to be farming it's the "do a manual process slowly to get a bit of money to automate and expand until you rule the entire universe" thing that I'm going for but on a more... rustic scale than something like Factorio. Hydroneer would be a good example of the vibe I'm after.

Bonus points if there is anything on switch.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Construction Simulator is out, and OSHA approved.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Some real fine crane work going on there.

It's mostly more of the same but fun none the less. Road works is new if I recall plus you don't need to tie everything down and load it. It auto loads or I'd you need to you can load.it yourself but less stacking 1000 pallets on one small flatbed and praying.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I think I may have bugged a step in the intro campaign to build the cafe, I'm supposed to deliver the prefab walls, and I have, but I have no idea where it wants me to actually put them, specifically. There's the thing with the cargo truck decal, which shows the ghost outline for the container, but apparently that ain't it :(

I even unpacked the crate to start placing walls, and nothing.

E: there's a glowy circle point box next to the crane, but it does nothing if I place it there too

Ha, my trick of complaining about this to someone else worked, it just accepted me placing them there! :shepface:

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 22, 2022

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Elendil004 posted:

Construction Simulator is out, and OSHA approved.

How much actual gameplay is there? I tried something called House Builder a while ago, but it had the typical brainless PlayWay thing of clicking on each individual brick in a predefined house model to make it appear.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

grate deceiver posted:

How much actual gameplay is there? I tried something called House Builder a while ago, but it had the typical brainless PlayWay thing of clicking on each individual brick in a predefined house model to make it appear.

It's construction sim.. mostly it's
Dig a hole for foundsation..
pour concrete with pumper into foundatation
transport a bunch of poo poo
unpack that poo poo
use crane to move poo poo into place
transport more poo poo / bulldoze something.

Maybe dump gravel and or dirt with dumptruck and then compact it with a different roller

then there's roadworks
cold plane
get asphalt in truck
get paver there
fill paver
use paver
use compactor

grow your business buy bigger trucks to do more of the above. It'll be better than payware poo poo

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

grate deceiver posted:

More gameplay than something like that, for sure.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Has anyone figured out how to hire a minion in construction simulator either? Supposedly after you finish the intro campaign they're available, but I can't get one on any context menu.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Volmarias posted:

Has anyone figured out how to hire a minion in construction simulator either? Supposedly after you finish the intro campaign they're available, but I can't get one on any context menu.

I usually just ping tater_salad for any bitch work. We actually call it 'taterwork'.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

I usually just ping tater_salad for any bitch work. We actually call it 'taterwork'.
All true

Best I can tell the "minion" is not as cool as one would think. I think it's just the context menu that lets you fill poo poo up without driving to the actual gravel plant. That's my assumption since it's the picture of the construction worker.

Edit: confirmed this by looking at the manual in game. It's not like farm sim where you cns hire a worker to do a task.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Sep 24, 2022

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

tater_salad posted:

Edit: confirmed this by looking at the manual in game. It's not like farm sim where you cns hire a worker to do a task.

gently caress, really? That was something that I actually appreciated about farm sim, because VERSIMILITUDE.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Disaster Bus Sim. Interesting concept

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1193090/Bus_World/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb_GWQETBJ0

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

It sure is an original idea, but holy poo poo, super weird fetish to turn into a sim.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I feel like that game needs 50% less Euro Truck Sim and 200% more Crazy Taxi. You should be able to surf that tidal wave

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I wish someone did a deep dive investigation into Playway and how many sweatshops they run to poo poo out these surface depth sim games.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
As far as I can tell, Playway, Astragon etc. run a 'good' 'old' euro publishing business that hasn't really made it to the point of bothering with dev house acquisitions like a Deep Silver or Nordic. You come to them with a pitch, they give you X amount of cash and release date Y with Z residuals. Any amount of sweatshopping is developer lead although the contract must certainly encourage it and it seems like as with any eurojank, much of the drive is the strength of the international market the publisher gives access to vs the low cost of labor in the dev's home country.

This is basically the new focus of people who in the past were chasing Eurojank RPGs and 3rd person adventure games and may be otherwise releasing a new mobile game every other month without publisher money. See also Daedelic or TinyBuild for a slightly less laser focused version.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I really like the concepts they get into by all of them inevitably are just a point and click puzzle or hold mouse to cover this area.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I keep getting sucked by Playway games and youtubers paid to promote them. I got junkyard sim.. and at the; end of the day the world is big but there's like 4 things to do, and it got old real real fast.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

4 whole rear end things to do in a Playway game? drat, they really put in the effort this time.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

At least House Flipper has a couple things to do, since it's a low-budget The Sims build mode.

Is there a thread for Workers & Resources? I bought it recently and it is: Overwhelming.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Philippe posted:

At least House Flipper has a couple things to do, since it's a low-budget The Sims build mode.

Is there a thread for Workers & Resources? I bought it recently and it is: Overwhelming.
Oh my yes, be sure to mind the topic name: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3885840

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I have done it I have committed to the Run8 rabbit hole.

No regrets.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

algebra testes posted:

I have done it I have committed to the Run8 rabbit hole.

No regrets.

Yesssssss let me know if you need help. I have had run8 for years now, but I just play 1 player. The popular servers are far too CHUDy.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Got house flipper, seems neat.

Selling my front door and getting a blank wall sure was a thing though.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Synthbuttrange posted:

Front doorn't

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

Not enough assets or customization and it feels really limited. Half the stuff in my copy is like, apocalypse bunker poo poo, where is all the cute furniture?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

skooma512 posted:

Not enough assets or customization and it feels really limited. Half the stuff in my copy is like, apocalypse bunker poo poo, where is all the cute furniture?

I can't think of good examples of this now, but I hate when games dispense with more reasonable cosmetics for Christmas/Apocalypse/Hot Topic Vampire/etc DLCs so that you have 3 options for nice stuff that looks okay and 7 where you can make the room you saw in the DLC screenshot and that's all.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

yea the in-game item browser is a pain to navigate, but its okay. The thing thats probably going to put me off is the painting/tiling. Theres no infinite paint roller/tile layer upgrade D:

though the seasonal snow cleaning might be up there. Got my $6 worth anyway though I guess.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

The Derail Valley developers are putting shorts on their youtube channel every day until Simulator releases to remind you that they are still working on this thing.

Most important update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ia5I81JBM8

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Jonny Nox posted:

Derail Valley

How is this game? I've had it on my watchlist and if they're going to increase the prices when it finally comes out I might as well get it now.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

grate deceiver posted:

How is this game? I've had it on my watchlist and if they're going to increase the prices when it finally comes out I might as well get it now.

It's fun. You have to hook up your consist manually and move other poo poo out of the way first, and then go all the way across the map and find the correct siding to drop the load. I've yet to complete a load because they only let me have the shunter and hauling anything makes it overheat all the time, so it takes forever to get anywhere.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

skooma512 posted:

It's fun. You have to hook up your consist manually and move other poo poo out of the way first, and then go all the way across the map and find the correct siding to drop the load. I've yet to complete a load because they only let me have the shunter and hauling anything makes it overheat all the time, so it takes forever to get anywhere.

pull smaller consists, and make sure you're going forward so the radiator gets air. Don't try to get there too fast, you'll get a full diesel license soon enough.

At $20 you'll easily get your money's worth just playing yard mule for a few hours, or a few dozen.

Or you can crash hazardous materials into the water supply and let insurance pay the majority of your fines. It's kind of open-world that way.

edit: my only major complaint is that you are playing in a sandbox alone without any friends. There's no multiplayer or other trains to work around. But this is ok, it's not where the gameplay is.

have a fun moment from Hyce on a heavily modded version (the engine he's using is a mod)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P44ezp4qN2U&t=3065s

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 11, 2023

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

skooma512 posted:

Do you remember to release the brakes? Remember that you need to hook up the vacuum brake line between the loco and all cars in the consist too, so you can release the brakes on the cars.

It's no problem hauling up to 5 or 6 cars with the shunter, even up relatively high inclines. You should be able to bring a train up to speed (like 20-30 km/h at least), release the throttle, and coast for a few minutes without stopping, when on flat ground.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Derqil Valley seems like it's entirely my poo poo.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I want desperately to play it again but I’m waiting for the sim one. If they give us My Summer Train I’d be so loving down.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
derail valley is easily the best "train game" out there right now, and it's insanely funny how a tiny team put together that poo poo from scratch, with VR support, while the train sim world people keep re-releasing the same lovely game every couple years

if simulator update is even remotely well done it'll also be the best "train sim" game too, probably

skooma512 posted:

I've yet to complete a load because they only let me have the shunter and hauling anything makes it overheat all the time, so it takes forever to get anywhere.

are you driving it in reverse by chance? the shunter has a big intake on the front and if you drive it reverse it'll overheat immediately

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Derail Valley does a great job of focusing on the fun parts of train driving, at least for me.

And yeah, I drove my shunter backwards with 400t of steel uphill a few times.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Truga posted:

derail valley is easily the best "train game" out there right now, and it's insanely funny how a tiny team put together that poo poo from scratch, with VR support, while the train sim world people keep re-releasing the same lovely game every couple years

if simulator update is even remotely well done it'll also be the best "train sim" game too, probably

are you driving it in reverse by chance? the shunter has a big intake on the front and if you drive it reverse it'll overheat immediately

nielsm posted:

Do you remember to release the brakes? Remember that you need to hook up the vacuum brake line between the loco and all cars in the consist too, so you can release the brakes on the cars.

It's no problem hauling up to 5 or 6 cars with the shunter, even up relatively high inclines. You should be able to bring a train up to speed (like 20-30 km/h at least), release the throttle, and coast for a few minutes without stopping, when on flat ground.

IIRC I did make sure all the pipes were connected and that I could move on flat grades, and learned to keep forward eventually. I should give it another go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

skooma512 posted:

IIRC I did make sure all the pipes were connected and that I could move on flat grades, and learned to keep forward eventually. I should give it another go.

also, the shunter has a cooling fan.