Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Sounds like a way more complicated version of the happy supply-demand puzzle of Slipways. I don't mean complicated like bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

CK07 posted:

I cannot believe how much time this jank-rear end game has already taken up. I have no problem playing old ugly games or dwarf fortress with no graphics packs, but this thing just looks awful, and the user interface may be a violation of the Geneva Conventions. I can't stop playing it. Does anyone know if the later versions are less visually difficult? The Steam pics are too small to be meaningful on my phone.

I haven't played them but I look at them constantly and they all look the same as far as I can tell. I'm waiting to have the spare cash to just drop on loads of it and play nothing else for months and months.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

LeFishy posted:

So I've started playing Motortown https://store.steampowered.com/app/1369670/Motor_Town_Behind_The_Wheel/ which probably fits in this thread. It's just a game where you drive around doing driving jobs? I've been playing it for an hour and so far I've driven hitchikers, done some deliveries in a pickup, driven a taxi around and driven a bus. I then abandoned the bus full of passengers in a car park which felt good.

I bought it after playing the demo a few months back and found it felt like something of a dream game for someone who loves games that are just "doing jobs" and wished Snowrunner let me drive around infinitely doing pointless jobs and had AI drivers.

Oh that reminds me the AI is stupid as heck but that makes me kinda like it more right now. And it runs on my toaster laptop.

This looks extremely cute, I think I'll download the demo.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

TjyvTompa posted:

A game simply called "Air Traffic" was released today, seems fitting for this thread:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1861880/Air_Traffic/

It's only €1.59 and is described like this by the developer:

Ooooh! I love air traffic control stuff. I like to listen to the airports sometimes. Pisses me off that the UK uses encrypted stuff so it's not simple to earwig.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Mokotow posted:

Air frequencies are not encrypted, because they need to be freely available to every air ship. You need a scanner that operates within the frequency bands used by ATC, and you can get those easily. It’s illegal to listen in in the UK, but the likelihood of getting caught is zero, unless you’re hanging out outside Heathrow with the receiver out and about.

Ah, I got bad information then. I just knew it was naughty to listen and it's hard to find online, but I haven't looked *very* hard cause you can just stick JFK tower on instead.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I think it’s illegal to rebroadcast the feed, which would explain why it’s not on, say, liveatc.

I did some reading and no, it is legit illegal to listen. It's just that they can't catch you doing it. The way UK law seems to work around radio broadcasts is that it has a whitelist, rather than a blacklist. Like, it lists all the things you *are* allowed to listen to.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

There used to be a very funny controller at JFK Ground called 'Kennedy Steve' and you can find compilations of him being amusing on youtube. He knows exactly when and how much to joke, and who with.

e: he has a long-running and fierce feud with the Delta Tugs.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I have had a few satisfying hours with Train Station Renovation. It's House Flipper, but for just train stations, so the lack of assets doesn't feel quite as annoying, and it has more of a feel of fixing things up - you don't have to spend time painting walls and such, for example. And the lighting engine is not quite as janky. Worth a few bucks on sale for sure if this kind of gameplay is your thing.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Cooking Simulator and Thief Simulator are both on switch too.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Galick posted:

Okay so, are there any simulator games where you basically run a shop/store/workshop/whatever and make things for customers? The idea that came to mind was a gunsmith who did custom work for people and there's gunsmith simulator coming out *eventually* but that didn't quite hit the mark since that was restoring. I'm looking for a game where you make custom things for your customers, have to fit the criteria, etc. Closest thing was the PC builds you did for customers in PC Building Sim?

Cooking Simulator has this.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I didn't see the username and was thinking 'Algebra Testes Railroad is a very precise name for a level to have'

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I like 'Motor Town: Behind the Wheel' but it's not detailed exactly. The style is very cartoony. But it has a good few vehicles, and you can do bus routes or tow truck stuff or taxi service or whatever. And when I was playing over Christmas I saw Krampus in the road, and another car ran it over and then flipped upside down. That might be seasonal only though.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

LeFishy posted:

Update: Went to play Motortown. Got it running at mostly 30fps on medium settings on the deck though the towns chug a little.

Played for a few hours and want to go back and play more now but it is bed time and I am an adult with responsibilities.

I see reports of people getting much higher framerates on deck so I’m not sure if I’m doing something wrong or if it’s just that the game has been updated to be a lot more detailed since those reports were posted. It could definitely use an optimisation pass though!

Game rules and I had great fun just being a bus driver. Excited to hit level 10 and be able to drive the rescue truck.

Yaaay! Yeah I dunno it runs okay on my PC but not perfect. But it's a fun game. Haven't tried it on the Deck. I do like driving the bus.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Oh they just patched in the ability to make a bus company and have AI drivers work for you, haha! In Motor Town, this is.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Philippe posted:

Has anyone played Windbound here? It's real cheap on Steam right now

Looks cute but that's a dire review score. I dunno, a couple of bucks, I mean what's the risk really

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I enjoyed Infra. If only for the feeling of looking at a dilapidated bridge and thinking 'tch, someone should do something about that' and hey, it's you! You can do something about it. Take a picture and send it to your boss and fantasize about having a competent governmental system.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

StarkRavingMad posted:

Here's highlights from the stream I watched of someone not knowledgable (Tomato) playing it, but at least he did a little research in advance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keAv26T8GXU

This is delightful. He's terrified of every valve and wheel and weird item his character picks up.

e: *staring into nuclear reactor* "Chat, I'm almost sure there's supposed to be water in there."

HopperUK fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 15, 2023

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Still mostly power washing.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

:3:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Doug Sisk posted:

Ship Graveyard Simulator 2 was released today, and it seems like exactly what I was after! Zero peril or time conditions, mindless relaxing deconstruction of ships. I would say a cross between Hardspace: Shipbreaker and House Flipper.

Ooooh!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Train Station Renovation is good for 'click thing, make clean'. Not as viscerally satisfying as Powerwash but fun anyway.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Mokotow posted:

Has SnowRunner Expeditions been mentioned? Coming next year, it's very much what the title says - based on the SnowRunner engine, you lead expeditions in various inhospitable terrains, using a variety of off-road vehicles equipped with equipment for surveying and other scientific operations. There's also some base operations sprinkled in, and the actual exploration gameplay is expanded, so no more just driving to a lookout tower, now you need to use binoculars and survey equipment. Looks interesting and I like that they're trying new things while sticking to a strong base they've built up over the last few years.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2477340/Expeditions_A_MudRunner_Game/

I vaguely recall being all pissed off with the devs of this series but for the life of me I don't remember why.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Mokotow posted:

Maybe something about having a million dlcs and seasons of content you need to buy in small packages, paradox style?

I'd love to think so but I'm a total sucker for that kind of DLC schedule so probably the spintires thing, but eh, it can't be that big of a deal if I don't even recall what it was.

Anyone play Rail Route? I know it's more puzzle than sim but I keep thinking of getting it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

zedprime posted:

I like it enough as a way to avoid going down the full routing sim rabbit hole. There's a demo.

Ah sweet, thank you

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

nielsm posted:

Heads up: Rail Route is getting closer to the end of early access, and will have a 25% price increase on October 11.

Thanks for the headsup. It's only a tenner on Humble right now with the Choice discount so I grabbed it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

OgNar posted:

On the bright side I found that someone had given me American Truck Sim as a spare Humble key years ago, which I didnt like then but am loving now.
Its been pretty enjoyable.

I love American Truck Sim. Get yourself some more radio stations and have a blast. I buy every state that comes out now.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Genuinely don't know about wheels and the PS4, sorry. I haven't owned a playstation since the original.

Yeah any of the map mods will need all the DLC because of how they build them, in my experience. Don't worry though - each state is plenty big, you only need to buy the bits you're interested in. I'm in the middle of heading back west, I'm bored with Texas now, wanna drive up and down the West Coast some.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

skooma512 posted:

I think I prefer ETS2 over ATS because I use many of the roads modelled in ATS and it gets to me how off it all is. I don't have any experience with the M4, so it's less grating.

Opposite for me so :)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I think I've posted about this game before, but everyone should take a new look:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/951240/Obenseuer/

Open Sewer/Obenseuer is a sort-of-sequel/in the same game world as the puzzle game INFRA, which was neat. Obenseuer started as a weird game like 5 years ago where you are dumped into a weird ghetto for the homeless and specifically those infected with or otherwise exposed to a new fungal disease from special hallucinogenic mushrooms found under the city of Stalburg. You, seemingly by administrative error, are given an entire tenement block. This is a Big Deal because most people are homeless and basically living under stairs and sitting around fire barrels outside and they're going to want apartments.

But before you embark on your big bad slumlord journey, you need to survive. Food and drink are relatively easy to come by, as is enough money to support yourself - but its very easy to fall victim to addictions, which you will start with at the very minimum at least one of. Getting rid of them can be tough, and if (realistically, when) you become infected with the fungal disease, that becomes expensive and cumbersome to manage. Trying to solve these while managing your depression, working various jobs to try and earn money, and then scavenge up enough dosh and materials to upgrade an apartment to the barest of livability is not easy. It's expensive and arduous but you can eventually get tenants and then money slowly starts to come easier, while you can find time to invest in new and exciting ways to make money. (Farming, brewing/distilling, etc.) Then you can upgrade and decorate your own apartment!

The game is playable now in its 'new' state. The prototype game released in like, 2018, was quite a bit different in everything but general vibe. Since then they've basically remade the entire game from the ground up. Just today the dev has released a public beta of the new state of the game. I was in the playtesters over the last few months and let me say that the game is definitely still janky, but they are very responsive to bugs and squash things regularly from their github. If you're looking for a smooth experience, give it a month or two. Otherwise I definitely hope you can support the devs because the game has amazingly weird vibes and literally no one has heard about it.

I bought this on your writeup and it's very interesting, but I've had to shelve it until they fix the graphical issue that fills the map with fog all the time and makes it impossible for me to see anything. The devs told me on the steam forum they're fixing it in the next update.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Was thinking more and wanted to add that honestly, while I still encourage people to buy it and think its super unique and cool and all that, saves have been breaking pretty frequently in the closed test so even things like the fog aside if you're having those problems, if you aren't into being an actual beta tester, it is worth waiting until they 'officially' drop the remake.

I am not a bit sorry for what it's worth, it's a fascinating game and I'm pleased to be in on it at this early stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Blue On Blue posted:

Speaking of , has anyone played pirates journey ?

Just released on steam with an atrocious score , but videos reminded me a lot of medieval dynasty

I get down for those types of games

Looks like it's way too early, from the reviews.