Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I have just dehumanized myself and faced to Farm Sim 17. I've never played one of these before. Does there exist a list of both or either "necessary" mods (I've heard like soil mod and stuff mentioned?) and good mods?

I can go looking if not, just wondering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I'm a little bummed that the game seems a bit higher of a 'layer' in simulation than I hoped. Driving anything is pretty much just gas and go, basically hold the key down or set cruise. I'm coming recently off of My Summer Car and previous Truck Sim, so I was thinking I'd be seeing weird gearboxes and stuff and a little more of that depth. There are an absolute ton of controls though so maybe I'm missing it?

It feels like Farm Sim is a bit more the management of the farm at a business level with some random "I also want to plow fields" tossed in.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Jonny Nox posted:

Yeah it's basically playing tractors in the sandbox out of the box. Which I've put almost 200 hrs into so I must like that.

Eventually stuff like direct drive and soil mod and mud mods will come out and make it a little better, but there isn't going to be hand throttles, hydrostatic transmission, dealing with field height variances, field scrapers, worrying about moisture levels, seasons, soil compaction, dynamic terrain, forrest management, etc. any time soon

Mind you, I saw a Case IH Steiger demo where the driver set up his tractor, turned on the GPS and computers, then flipped the steering wheel up cuz he didn't need it any more.

Yeah I think I'll come to appreciate it a bit more with time, just not what I expected out of the box. I really love the level of Truck sim right now, I feel like it hits the perfect trifecta being the right amount of "game"/rpg/management, simulation, and polish.

Edit: and now several hours later I'm constantly thinking "God I don't think I like this game. It's really just doing the same things over and over again. I'm going to put it down after I plow/seed/harvest this next field."

I've said that six times now. This is how it starts isn't it?

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 13, 2016

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Yeah I’ve had a weird relationship with that game because with some feature exceptions it feels like the added complexity made it worse and worse despite that being something I would want in almost every single other Oddly Specific Niche Simulator.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

How does car mechanic sim stack up against Automation? Automation has great tweaking of all the finer points of design, letting you really dial in something. I’m worried car mechanic is too tied into, literally, the nuts and bolts aspect.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

beats for junkies posted:

cyberpunk operator game

What? Say more. This sounds like the thing I’ve always wanted.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Entirely depends on what you want out of fishing, but no joke my favorite fishing experience is Sea of Thieves. Not at all an Oddly Specific Niche Simulator But the added threat of someone stealing your fish and the ambient world makes it fun.

Realistically probably not the suggestion you’re looking for, though.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Train Sim is on a big sale right now on Steam. I've always avoided it and my guess is it probably isn't for me, but can someone that enjoys it weigh in:

Is it much of a "game"? Does it have any background economy, or at least a rating or challenges? I enjoy moving scenery as much as the next guy (I play commercial flight sims) but I'm worried there's not enough depth in driving a train compared to commercial/GA plane sims and not enough 'game' like Truck Sim has. True/False?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I puzzle-trucked most of today and I can safely say I’ve become a huge fan of the game. There’s enough to do in a structured, “this, then that” way that it grabs me.

I have a souped up Chevy scout that I’ve basically made my work horse. That does indeed mean: yes, that trailer stranded in the swamp? I spent 30 minutes finessing it with a winch up to the road so my Fleetstar could grab it. The lost fuel tanker in the other swamp? Well my Fleetstar can brave at least the shallows, but let’s hitch that with the trailer behind the scout truck and drive it the entire way back to the fuel station.

I was initially left cold by coop with my buddy leaving me in the dust, but now that I’ve opened the game up a bit it really seems like it’ll work.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I can back up doubles OK in truck sim, but something about the steering axle on these trailers confounds me. It almost seems like they’re too loose or something - I can’t turn it to the angle I want and then turn the wheel to push that angle. (If that makes any sense.)

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

All of that is good info, I’ll have to play with it more. I think the instance where I had trouble I was empty, so that might explain it.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Do you get the full money you spend back on a truck when you sell it?

If not I think I’ve made a terrible mistake.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Maybe I just had less money than I thought. What if I upgraded the truck? Do I get that money back?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Also! Pay close attention if a contract wants you to deliver a “Maintenance Trailer” because they want a specific one on the map, not one you just bought.

I’m still mad about this.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

The satisfaction of a job well done, you unappreciative jerk.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

Oddly Specific Niche Simulator

I tried it but it feels a little too early access to me. Not a lot of diversity in gameplay.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I’m about to finish Michigan 100% and I’m both stingy and have plenty of money and trucks.

But I’m going to spend 2 hours fastidiously clearing the map of every trailer for cash. I can’t help it.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

madeintaipei posted:

Drive truck onto Mountain gateway in Alaska, go to main menu, start co-op game, switch to truck and transit to Mountain map, recover truck, retain truck, exit co-op. Upon loading into single player, flip through Alaska maps until you find the truck you were using, switch to truck, watch it fall 200ft from the sky, recover. Now you have two trucks. It trivializes money troubles, so I just used it to have two GMC's so I don't have to keep reconfiguring the thing.

FWIW I don’t think you even have to do this at a specific gateway, I accidentally duped a truck when my friend showed up wanting to play coop in Michigan right after I went to Island Lake from the Dam. I recovered to make a trip down with him and when we got back to the Lake map we drove past my truck that I was currently driving. It didn’t follow your exact steps, but for those trying to avoid the glitch, it definitely has something to do with coop and region switching just before/after starting the game up.

That said, play your own game and use it if you don’t care about the money aspect. Even if you do, money is fairly trivial beyond the first few hours of Michigan anyway unless you want 100% of the trucks, fully equipped, at all times.

Hot Tip for anyone new or starting: I would do Michigan first to completion for progressions sake. It’s a little easier than the other maps so it’s a logical progression and you’ll be good and sick of green by the time you’re done, so Alaska will feel fresh and new. That said: Scout Michigan early for upgrades, then before you get too deep into the region, jump to at least the first map of Alaska and grab the hummer (if you like it) and upgrades. There are some truck upgrades in the first region of Alaska that really feel necessary if you want to branch out.

For example, I got the CAT Semitruck which looks cool and has more power/fuel than the Fleetstar, but it didn’t have AWD until I grabbed it in Alaska, so I wasn’t willing to use it for tougher jobs. Those few upgrades from scouting Alaska’s first map really helped diversify my initial truck fleet.

Also there really isn’t any hard reason besides scouting upgrades to start with one region over another as far as I can see, so if you really want to, go jump into Russia or Alaska. Russia especially, since its upgrades and trucks are self contained.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I love the pickup but it feels inferior to the hummer unless you use the FuelFuck engine upgrade. I’ve been meaning to try the lodestar but it loses on style points. I feel like such a tool in my hummer and I love it.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

AnimalChin posted:

I am terrible at this game and I feel like a big stupid dumb idiot moron. I can never figure out what to do next. Feels like one thing is gated behind another thing which is gated behind another thing and so on. :|

^ This is all very helpful. Thank you.

If you’re lost about what to do, check contracts and tasks and then nearby trailers on the map. There’s sort of a puzzle in and of itself of where the already placed cargo on the map can go easily. Take your pick of a job, then figure out where you can find the cargo for it, and then figure out what’s near the end of the job that can go somewhere else.

You don’t necessarily need to operate this way, but a lot of times it seems like you can sort of clear a section of a map with 1-2 back and forth trips well planned out.

But I realize that’s a little vague and if you don’t have a brain for that weird sort of puzzle, there’s absolutely no harm in just picking a mission and saying “I’ll do this now.” There’s not really an order with one major exception: You want to do any missions that build a bridge or clear a road ASAP, generally, so you can have easier routes.

Beyond that it’s picking the right truck for the terrain and that’s mostly a mix of scouting and experience with your trucks.

e: and if you really need help jump on that discord linked earlier and if I’m around We can jump on coop or I can talk you through what to look for.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 12, 2020

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Where I tired quickly of Spintires and didn’t finish more than a map, Snowrunner has enough I’ve hardly put it down. It’s hard to quite exactly explain how it’s more than “a to b” but it definitely feels a lot more involved/fun.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

grate deceiver posted:

I have no idea what any of this means, but that just makes me want to play the game.

Too long for a thread title?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I kind of liked House Flipper so I get the appeal of these games, but the idea of a solo guy just happening up upon an old train station or stadium and cleaning it up single handedly and suddenly making money like he owns the place is hilarious.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I'm pretty sure I've played all the (2) games in this sub-sub-sub genre, but are there other sim-like games with a strong 'physical' world ala My Summer Car and Derail Valley that don't suck?

It's hard to describe, but its one of the only games where while the physics is janky and weird, its very touchy feely and objects have a strong physical presence. The only games where you can get a "now where the gently caress did I put that" feeling. Obviously this plays extremely well with My Summer Car since it perfectly complements putting a car together, but it helps in Derail Valley in a silly way with "oops I slapped my book into the train brake."

I guess Viscera Cleanup applies here too, but it does do an FPS when you're holding a mop or whatever.

Really hoping Deadstick (a flight sim) follows this sort of game feel.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Oops double post, but while thinking of those games I thought of another that I don't remember being mentioned here:

Open Sewer
https://store.steampowered.com/app/951240/Open_Sewer/

You're basically a plague quarantine slumlord - okay, not the best sell. It's extremely dark and dreary in its own way, but also has its own sort of weird charm when you make a nice tenement of weird mushroom addicts and drunks. It looks like a super old game but it feels like an intentional choice and not a laziness (imo). It's hard to put into words, but I like it a lot.

I would recommend it be a "wishlist" for the moment - The devs seem solid, but very small and methodical. They decided over a year ago that they didn't like the first implementation of the map and it caused a bunch of performance issues, so it seems they basically started from scratch. They're definitely consistent in showing progress on their Discord - but I couldn't recommend a "buy" unless the style absolutely grabs you and you have to try it out. Wait for the big map match Coming: Sometime.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

You aren’t wrong and I was willing to look past that - here’s hoping their big patch addresses all that.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I really hope it is soon. It’s one of the few things I’m willing to suspend any ill words for the devs because it seemed like the right move and they’ve posted progress and have a clear vision for the game, but it’s a shame it’s been a year.

FWIW lunless you’re waiting for a sale, Open Sewer in its current version is at least worth a few hours of playing with, if you expect you’ll buy it anyway.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

derail valley question: where the gently caress is the loading machine for section D ( the pier) in the harbor?

e: oh... its right there

Me in derail valley, but replace “loading machine for section d” with literally anything in the game at all and also I’m drunk and listening to a podcast.

I’ve never had so much fun getting consistently lost.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

There’s a demo for Contraband Police during the current steam event and it’s basically Low Budget Unity-based Papers Please.

The demo isn’t long but it was enough to know I’m going to buy that janky weird garbage and probably put as many hours into the game as it took to code.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I’m glad to see this thread alive again because I want someone to find for me my white whale of a game that’s basically My Summer Car but without the developer actively hating you and punishing you further in each subsequent patch.

That game is probably Open Sewer’s remake but that’s several years in the making and while still being updated according to their discord, is slow.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Hello old thread, I picked up Landlord’s Super from the Jalopy devs and it’s definitely an oddly specific niche simulator. Very similar vibes to Jalopy in a lot of ways: weird retro vibes, a main focus of the mechanics is a limited storage/transport (at least early on, when trying to gather scrap and move tools/goods) and on top of that it has very satisfyingly “fiddly”/hands on building (tap click four times to hammer each nail, place every roof shingle individually.)

Unfortunately it just came off sale from this weekend after a patch dropped. I suspect it’s still fairly content light but I’ll see what I can get out of it. First impressions are good though, I love the aesthetic and the themesong is an absolute banger.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

zedprime posted:

The big patch this week is one of the important ones for putting some legs on the game until multilot becomes a thing.

With house, furniture, decorations, and side jobs the basic loop is there i.e. they figuratively only just hit the point like in Jalopy where you could drive to the first couple checkpoints.

Game desperately needs multilot so you can keep building things more interesting than a wall/foundation/roof in the side quests or random holes in your house after a tenant moves, which is the next thing in the roadmap last I checked.

I wondered about “multi lot” and wondered if it was missing that. It would be nice to tackle different houses like in House Flipper, but considering I liked the vibe and flow of Jalopy and this seems to have the same vibe and flow while tackling a completely different (and arguably more in depth) target, I’m on board. I feel like I can certainly get my $15 out of it now and then pick it up again when I’m bored a year from now looking for a fiddly hands on game.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

If you have VR and love simulators Derail Valley owns owns owns. It’s probably still decent without VR but I can’t imagine it hits quite the same. Nothing gives me more satisfaction than dropping the track layout book in its appointed slot with VR hands.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

The truck sims for me, then a lot of these games seem to wash out for me around 20 hours. Landlords super, my summer car, bus sim, etc.

Still waiting on dang Open Sewer to re-launch. They are consistent in showing development work so it’s not dead but boy it sure is taking them a long time.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Lake of Methane posted:

What's a good game for making, like, airline routes or freight routes and a simplified economy?

Transport Fever 2 is fairly simple and has routes for planes, trains, trucks, and boats with a very simple economy.

Workers and Resources is sort of similar but a little more of a city builder and can be difficult to penetrate and understand. It has an “economy” in that you serve people goods and can use what you generate to build other stuff or export.

Both are a little more train focused than plane focused, especially W&R. Both are more focused on an abstract layer that’s a scaled down area and you watch everything move - it’s not like a map game where you watch an icon fly to Hong Kong, or something.

I’m sure there’s others I haven’t played (OpenTTD comes to mind) and I’ve bounced off of the few games I’ve tried that are a slightly more abstract “look at a map” level. I’ve always wanted a modern take on something like Ports of Call but anything I’ve seen close (which is a vague memory of a game I saw years ago, so not much) has not looked good.

You might be better off asking over in the management games thread if that’s the layer of gameplay you want - it seems like you’re asking more for management rather than hands on button touchy stuff. (Although there’s some mission/career mods for Flight Sim now that let you feel like you’re playing truck sim in the sky!)

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

This popped up on my feed and its neat.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1764530/Sailwind/

I really enjoy sailing games and this game hits it well. It does look like it will be pretty content light at what the dev is calling launch, but I definitely think I can get at least $20 out of sailing around and carrying boxes.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

It’s been said enough by me and others in this thread but if you even sniff around liking trains, train games, weird niche sims, and/or good hands-on VR, you owe it to yourself to get Derail Valley. I haven’t played in a long time because I’m really waiting for the sim patch before I burn out on trains, but it’s such a seriously fun time.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

TjyvTompa posted:

Derail Valley is cool but it gets boring quick once you realize nothing ever changes. It is always the same cars on the same tracks that need to go to the same place. I hope they add some new mechanics where new stuff appears after you have moved the cargo.

Bummer to hear - I never really got myself past the “woops derailed everything and I’m starting over” phase so I missed this.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

zedprime posted:

I'll be very interested to hear any takes on solo-player-low-mods play for FS22. Which is the wrong way to play, but, well I come to FS as a busywork simulator more than any thing else.

I'll probably buy it regardless since I'm not super into my current map anyway but its always nice to have a purchase validated.

Same to all of this. I can’t play for a few days but it’s first on my list when I can in exactly this style of play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I absolutely adore Kennedy Steve’s recordings on YouTube. I recently went through JFK and saw a delta tug on the tarmac and said “DELTATUGTWO” in his mocking garbled voice before I realized if anyone heard me they must think I’m insane.

A must watch if you have any interest in ATC. I don’t know how he isn’t constantly breaking into a panic with the level of poo poo he’s managing.