Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If you're new to this series, do yourself a favour and watch the last race of the 2015 season. It was loving nuts.

It's never made 100% clear, but FanBoost voting on Twitter involves using the #FanBoost tag followed by the full name of the driver you're voting for. So #FanBoost #JoseMariaLopez if you're a JML fan (I foresee many FanBoost wins for him this season). If you're ever unsure though, most drivers have their tags on their helmet.

Hong Kong looks like one of the best Fe tracks already, little elevation changes and bumps in the middle of corners, a cool as hell layout, all the little unique things you want on a street track. The new front wing makes the cars look a lot better too now they don't have the front wheel pods wobbling around all the time. Everything just looks way more solid like it's an actual racecar rather than the flimsy toy car feeling they had the last 2 seasons. The graphics look a lot better this year as well, they have their own look rather than being the standard FIA graphics only blue.

Also the Youtube stream is only geoblocked when the session is live on TV if its the same as last season. So if you're in the UK Channel 5 are only showing the race live, so you can watch practice and qualifying live on Youtube.

Buemi probably not winning this season, since he's gonna be skipping the 2 New York races to do WEC.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Oct 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

abraham linksys posted:

this turn with the bumps and the crosswalk on it is loving brutal

I'm planning to go to at least one of the NY double header weekend in July, the track in Red Hook looks pretty dull but I'm excited for a local race either way!

Its basically the best overtaking spot too, so people are gonna be trying to outbrake people on that which is gonna cause all kinds of carnage. It's gonna rule.

E: Well this is the carnage I want from a practice session. Di Grassi skid spinning his car in the turn 1 run off and taking his rear wing clean off.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 9, 2016

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

We haven't got a solid idea of anyone's pace because no-one's figured out turn 2 yet. And now Lopez finds a new and exciting place to wreck the car.

E: NextEV still poo poo, Piquet still poo poo.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 9, 2016

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Finally got to watch the race. Thoughts.
- Andretti are god drat lightning compared to the last 2 seasons.
- Techeetah have the best livery on the worst car.
- DS Virgin are the Ferrari of Formula E, always willing to piss away a victory in the pits.
- Track was good. Really good. Way better than Shanghai.
- Nelson Piquet apparently remembered to give a poo poo this year, probably related to NEXTEV getting their poo poo together.
- As a touring car fan it's extremely satisfying to see Jose Maria Lopez struggle.

HJB posted:

I'm liking the new graphics. The new commentator, not so much. Also, racing.

The new non-Dario commentator is the FIA's pocket generic commentator. He also does WEC and WTCC and I don't think he's capable of conveying excitement with his voice. There was a 4-wide moment in the recent China WTCC race which was loving nuts but you wouldn't have known it listening to his commentary.

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Did any of the drivers end up using their fanboost today? I didn't see any of them deploy it.

Nope, Lopez crashed out before he could do anything and Buemi and Di Grassi weren't in any situation where it would've been worth it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Piquet apparently had no kerb issues (shocking I know since they got him pole)

https://twitter.com/NelsonPiquet/status/785361990453571584
https://twitter.com/NelsonPiquet/status/785362272877096960

Meanwhile, Japan wants a piece of this. Though Agag is saying it wouldn't be until 2018/19 at the earliest. Whether that means Honda or Nissan are looking to enter as the article says or to put pressure on Mercedes and BMW to commit sooner rather than later I don't know. Though most likely I'd expect BMW to go deeper with Andretti rather than have their own factory team.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

According to the race's website the Marrakesh ePrix is going to use the Moulay El Hassan circuit as it is, which would be the first time they've run the full layout of a more or less permanent track.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

:siren: ITS RACE WEEK :siren:

This Saturday we get to watch a rare Formula E race on an actual purpose built track that still gets called a street circuit because a bit of it is public road sometimes. It's Marrakesh! This is a track Jose Maria Lopez knows and probably no-one else on the grid does so he'll have even fewer excuses for sucking this time.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

blunt posted:

Surprised at how tight it is for a permanent track. Then again I guess parts of Canada are like that too.

Its a former street circuit that was reworked into a semi-permanent track to encourage local talent. That its kept that tight and difficult street circuit feel is great.

Also, less than a year after saying they have no interest in electric cars Ferrari said in an investor call they're looking at a Formula E entry a few years down the road.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Finally got round to watching the race. Renault's strategy is just miles ahead of everyone else even if they don't have a big mechanical advantage like last year. Happy to see Bird in there as well after the Hong Kong disaster.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

gret posted:

Just a couple of guys racing without front wings without seemingly having much of an effect on the cars.

Well that's happened in FE before, the cars don't have huge downforce. I'm pretty sure someone in season 2 ran most of a race with only half a front wing. Also yes rFactor 2 looks like complete rear end.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

CactusWeasle posted:

If you have a garbage PC and download garbage mods, it does.

I have a good PC and stock content and it looks like rear end. Also finding it hilarious that Mitch Evans and JM Lopez are in the top 5.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

People are saying Pahkala's fanboost bugged out and he had it for the entire post pitstop section, which would explain how he went from 3rd to a 9 second lead in one pitstop and was lapping a second faster than everyone else suddenly.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I would question penalising a driver for a technical issue they likely had no control over but it seems like a fitting way to end this.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Car looks cool, but it's a concept so the chances of the real car actually looking like that are roughly zero.

Also, the god drat winter break is over and we're gonna get some god drat racing this weekend as it's Buenos Aires. Easily one of the best tracks of the season, though Buemi almost pulled off an insane last-to-first drive last year.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 13, 2017

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Here's a thing, Dallara have seemingly made a Formula E2 car independent of the main series. 160bhp as a low power output up to 270bhp that Formula E uses so it seems closer to Formula 3 than 2 but building a ladder early is probably the best way to go given how different FE cars are to drive with the insane torque that comes from a single or 2-speed electric motor. Will apparently have swappable batteries too so no car swapping.

Formulino E is a dumb name though, even if it is a Dallara line.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Roller Coast Guard posted:

If a pitcrew can just hot-swap the battery pack in a few seconds during a pitstop like a tyre change then holy poo poo.

That car is disappointingly conventional though, I did like the way the Formula E cars deliberately went away from a generic open-wheel look.

There's also talk of a quick charge function, which would effectively make it the same as refuelling. I like the look, it looks like a Formula 4 car (which I already like) but has the same flowing curviness that you see in a lot of current electric car design.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Not much between race news other than Techeetah have replaced Ma with 2-time F1 reject Esteban Gutierrez.

Hopefully we have another race like last year's hilarious shitshow where Buemi was having a complete meltdown over not being able to pass Jerome D'Ambrosio, cut a chicane to pass him and when told to give the position back had his teammate block every time he was told to let Jerome through.

Then Jerome won anyway because Di Grassi failed tech and got DQ'd.

E: Here's a fun added complication for the weekend, Buemi is making a 16 hour trip from Italy to Mexico after being at the Toyota WEC launch on Friday. He's not going to be in Mexico until 4 hours before FP1 starts.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 31, 2017

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Just seen the quali highlights and fun to see ABT are still trying to cheat like hell at Mexico.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Buemi hosed up his pit stop!!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Di Grassi and D'Ambrosio are loving everyone in that stadium section.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

UK TV literally cut to an ad break 5 seconds after Di Grassi crossed the line.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

CactusWeasle posted:

FE celebs are so random and bad I'm sure they're getting appearance money to turn up

I'm pretty sure Paris Hilton has investments in racing, I've seen her shown at Blancpain races as well.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

To celebrate Buemi's horrible time in Mexico, enjoy this video the F1 Youtube uploaded of his wheels falling off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMZJ3ZaEcIQ

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Heads up it's a race week and this one is the most hilarious race of all. It's Monaco time. Both Jose Maria Lopez and Robin Frijns are doubtful due to injuries so we might have a few reserve drivers out for extra hilarity.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Haven doesn't think former F1 driver Esteban Gutierrez has driven Monaco before.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Holy poo poo Maro...

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Hey there's a race today in Paris because Fe needs multiple months between the first 3 races but the second half happens super quick because it can't overlap with the WEC season, Buemi's on pole and is probably going to win. Again.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

gently caress this season, its not even Renault domination because Nico Prost is sucking rear end in the same car but he's driven every race in a field consisting mostly of part-timers. He's gonna skip both the New York races for WEC and probably still win the title.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I haven't seen the race but I am seeing on Twitter that Buemi's picking a fight with anyone who's nearby in the pits.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Pretty big news, Renault out, Nissan in as part of a motorsport partnership between the 2 according to Motorsport. Will likely end up being for the 2018/19 season with e.dams staying on as the actual owner of the spot. The article says Buemi will probably stay on despite driving for Toyota in WEC but I heavily doubt that.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Channel 5 seem to have improved their coverage, they actually have Vernon Kay at the track now and it's not just 2 people in a cupboard. Still extremely rear end that they're not showing the race live though.

He does pronounce Dario's surname "Frankitty" though.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

HJB posted:

I don't like how the graphics are slowly turning into 4K wank-fodder, I have dodgy eyes and a poverty TV, I'm feeling othered.

Yeah I watched the race on my TV and while the TV is HD I watch TV through the regular antenna because lol spending an HDMI port on a TV box. The stack was super hard to read and I completely gave up trying any time numbers were on screen. Fun race though, I hope Mortara can keep doing cool stuff through the whole season and doesn't just completely fade after one race.

Also, Bird has a 10-place grid penalty tomorrow for nearly killing a man in the pits.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The security stickers would basically be the things to identify the internals to ensure they haven't been changed from what the team say is in the car if I understand right. So he wasn't running with the motors the team said he had which is either the team being caught cheating or someone hosed up and declared the wrong equipment.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Audi are both appealing the decision and also saying it was a gently caress up with the paperwork and they weren't trying to cheat honest.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

:fap:
https://twitter.com/Motorsport/status/958311670589292544

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

We'd have to wait and see what kind of downforce is actually being produced but that generally hasn't been an issue with FE cars because they're not generally producing enough of a wake or being downforce dependant to make that an issue.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Pirate Radar posted:

do they leave lightbike trails behind them yet?

Not yet but the halo on that car supposedly can light up so we're getting there.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

A couple extra things about the new car. For starters it'll be using the new batteries that will last the entire race, so no more car swapping. It'll also have more power up to 250kw in qualifying mode, roughly 335bhp which Di Grassi says could put their top speed over 180mph with how light and low downforce they're supposed to be.

https://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/news/new-formula-e-car-capable-of-more-than-300kmh-1000968/

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Hey there's a race today in Santiago. Practice is live on Youtube and qualifying is at 1445GMT then the race itself at 1830GMT. Both live on Spike in the UK and delayed on various Fox Sports things in the US. It's a rare chicane-free track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Track is bumpy as gently caress and slippery as hell. Rosenqvist was barely ever in control during his quali lap. Race is going to be god drat chaos.

:getin:

• Locked thread