Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Formula E is so much drat fun.

The strategy of battery management is more involved than it looks. Races tend to close up at the end as cars that burned energy to stay up front have to slow to make the finish and cars that conserved get to drive like hell to close the gap. Top speeds are slower than most formula cars but they accelerate as fast as gently caress. Plus they get really squirrelly on high speed turns, so they look a lot faster than they are.

I was at the FE race in Long Beach in Season 1, and I'll never forget the sound of 22 electric race cars bombing down into the first chicane at the start. It was the most alien thing I've ever heard. It was amazing!

I'm looking forward to Roborace this year, if only for the AIs that are a bit too agressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Formula E Season 3: The poo poo Show is THE Show

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Xpost from the Misc. thread.

Formula E Sim Racing Season 1 = Formula E Actual Racing Season 1

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

No, it looks cool. It looks funky. It looks like the future we were promised 30 years ago.

You know, I can't wrap my head around the double-think a lot of people have towards Formula E cars and other recent "out there" cars, like the Delta Wing. On the one hand, they complain that new and funky cars like this are ugly, but on the other hand long for the old days where people regularly created new and funky cars that were ugly.

Take off the nostalgia glasses, maybe?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Roller Coast Guard posted:

If a pitcrew can just hot-swap the battery pack in a few seconds during a pitstop like a tyre change then holy poo poo.

Back in the 90s, they had Formula Lightning in the U.S. that had battery-swap pit stops. The teams were university students.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6qjJWFRrlI&t=280s

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Looks really nice, even with the halo on it.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

njsykora posted:

A couple extra things about the new car. For starters it'll be using the new batteries that will last the entire race, so no more car swapping. It'll also have more power up to 250kw in qualifying mode, roughly 335bhp which Di Grassi says could put their top speed over 180mph with how light and low downforce they're supposed to be.

https://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/news/new-formula-e-car-capable-of-more-than-300kmh-1000968/

These cars are going to be squirelly as gently caress and it's going to be so fun to watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

quote:

Ten cars roll onto the racetrack and take up their positions at the start. No rumbling engines disturb the silence. The signal turns green. Five cars race clockwise around the track while the other five make their laps in the opposite direction. The electrically powered motors propel the cars to speeds of up to 320 kilometers per hour before they meet at an extremely tight corner halfway round the track. At this point, the two sets of five cars are racing head on toward each other. But the dreaded prospect of a massive pile-up doesn’t materialize. Elegantly dodging each other, the racers avoid collision at breathtaking speeds by mere millimeters. What sounds like utter madness may be a very real possibility for the not-too-distant future. That’s because the race cars are self-driving—no human sits behind the wheel. At least that’s the vision for Roborace in Banbury, a town 120 kilometers northwest of London. Russian businessman Denis Sverdlov established the company with finance from his Kinetik investment fund, which is valued at USD 500 million.

http://www.audi-magazine.com/technology/464-racing-algorithms

Holy moley.

• Locked thread