Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah exactly, I imagine Hilary's inbox is busier than mine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I wish that, just one time, when Donald Trump brings up the fact that jobs decreased during Hillary's time as senator was probably due to the fact that when she left in January 2009 there was a gigantic loving recession going on. Like, I bet everyone who left office in 2008 probably saw jobs and other related things decrease a shitload, because of the gigantic loving recession.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

Yoshifan823 posted:

I wish that, just one time, when Donald Trump brings up the fact that jobs decreased during Hillary's time as senator was probably due to the fact that when she left in January 2009 there was a gigantic loving recession going on. Like, I bet everyone who left office in 2008 probably saw jobs and other related things decrease a shitload, because of the gigantic loving recession.

Bill Maher and those types joked that people would blame Obama for the recession. But at the time it was so crazy because we were there and that argument wouldn't make any sense at all.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
^ Go watch some web groups go interview Trump supporters who honestly believe Obama was president during 9/11 and don't recall a Bush in there anywhere. People are loving crazy

Yoshifan823 posted:

Well, that's how this campaign is being run. Bullshit, hate, lies, sexism and racism. It's everything the GOP has been building for decades and now they've got this wealthy crazy guy who was one of those outlying people they fed all this poo poo to that they have no real control over break his way in and become the representative of everything they'd been sowing. The GOP is basically suffering under the very thing it created.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Oct 11, 2016

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I came in here to get some more R implosion insanity smack for my fix and it's a god drat Bernie/Hillary slap fight. Christ.

LeoMarr posted:

Trump kept smooth, Hillary was literally shaking at times, especially at the 4 women she ridiculed including the 12 year old. HIllary was visibly destroyed by his viciousness yet calmness. Hillary was shown to be very short in this debate compared to Trump aswell, which is a high point in American political choices. Presidents are supposed to be tall unfortunately for hitlery.

Thank you I was going into withdrawal.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Khisanth Magus posted:

Lets have a quick history lesson!

It is 2009. Obama has just been sworn in during one of the biggest economic recessions this country has ever seen, the worse since the great depression. The democrats have control of the house, but they only have exactly 60 seats in the senate, the exact amount needed to achieve the supermajority required to get past a GOP filibuster. There were 2 problems: Several of the members of congress were conservative "blue dogs" who wouldn't vote for any truly progressive policies(such as single payer!). The second problem was that 2 democratic senators were in the process of dying, including Ted Kennedy, a long time proponent of healthcare reform. The democrats had very little time in which to pass anything, and in addition to healthcare reform they also needed to pass the actually much more important bills that would help the economy start to recover. In the end the number of sitting days during 2009 that the democrats could override a filibuster could be counted on both hands with fingers to spare. Then in August 2009, a mere 7-8 months after Obama was sworn into office, Ted Kennedy passed away, and the GOP governor of Massachusetts appointed a republican as his replacement, ending the Democratic supermajority and ensuring gridlock for the rest of Obama's term.

Obama didn't have the time to dick around with trying to convince the blue dogs to support a bill that included single payer or a public option. You say that Obama pulled the public option off in July. I'd say that is pretty drat good timing, because a month later Ted Kennedy died and nothing could have been passed.
And don't forget that Franken didn't get seated until July of 2009. Kennedy died in August. There was literally less than two months with a supermajority. It's surprising they got in what they could in that time.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

JFairfax posted:

I get thousands of spam emails, deleting 33k personal And spam sounds resonable
Yeah over 4 years that only sounds like a lot to old luddites (Republicans) who still use an AOL email.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I came in here to get some more R implosion insanity smack for my fix and it's a god drat Bernie/Hillary slap fight. Christ.

Thank you I was going into withdrawal.

ease up, bruh, it was like a page, tops.

• Locked thread