Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar
So we had four tonight on the HomeDef server in the OP. We raided some bases on a barren system and killed the entire planet and a space station. Left behind an emergency base. We then increased our capital vessels up to three.

I took some screen shots of our capital ships forming. Please note, when spawning a capital vessel, realize it will be owned by 'public', and your faction cap vessel might shoot it! So we had a capital vessel get a hole in it's side.

Shows off our different SV (small vehicles)

Our capital vessel coming into landing.

Parts of our space station for repairing capital vessels!

We are going to join the main HW 170 person server when the 4.0 upgrade happens and will help out goons. Should be fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

goninzo posted:

We are going to join the main HW 170 person server when the 4.0 upgrade happens and will help out goons. Should be fun!

You guys should join us right before the wipe and help us wipe our cap ships the proper way.

You'd get to call this carefully and artistically designed ship your home! It has hardwood floors!

Actually have a spare CV ready to pop out for a newbie that is far less ugly.

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 18, 2016

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Myself and a few other goons are playing on the HW server as well. Our faction name is Cattes [NYA].

When I say we're playing there, I mostly mean I'm playing there as the others are either bored of the game already or waiting for the patch.

That said, I'm on most nights lately. IGN is Vakharn.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Myself and a few other goons are playing on the HW server as well. Our faction name is Cattes [NYA].

When I say we're playing there, I mostly mean I'm playing there as the others are either bored of the game already or waiting for the patch.

That said, I'm on most nights lately. IGN is Vakharn.

The patch is going to be a massive change - the homing missiles on CVs wreck SVs. At this point you will need a CV to take out another CV.

They are also buffing bases substantially - it may actually make sense to build bases on PvP planets and even CVs might not just camp 30kms out but actually roam in space.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar
We need ideas of what to put into OCD to bring out when the 4.0 reset happens. You start out with 7 slots and 100 of any item, or ocd level 2 is 15 slots with 500 after you spend 125k credits.

Thoughts:
500 Artillery guns for disassembling them
500 rare ingots like the pvp stuff

Orbital Cargo Drone Level Prices
OCD Level 1 - free, 7 slots, 100 items
OCD Level 2 - 125000 Credits, 15 slots, 500 items
OCD Level 3 - 300000 Credits, 30 slots, 1000 items
OCD Level 4 - 600000 Credits, 70 slots, 7,000 items
OCD Level 5 - 7000000 Credits (Premium: Donator have already OCD to level 5), 100 slots, 700000 items

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

goninzo posted:

We need ideas of what to put into OCD to bring out when the 4.0 reset happens. You start out with 7 slots and 100 of any item, or ocd level 2 is 15 slots with 500 after you spend 125k credits.

Thoughts:
500 Artillery guns for disassembling them
500 rare ingots like the pvp stuff

Orbital Cargo Drone Level Prices
OCD Level 1 - free, 7 slots, 100 items
OCD Level 2 - 125000 Credits, 15 slots, 500 items
OCD Level 3 - 300000 Credits, 30 slots, 1000 items
OCD Level 4 - 600000 Credits, 70 slots, 7,000 items
OCD Level 5 - 7000000 Credits (Premium: Donator have already OCD to level 5), 100 slots, 700000 items

So the OCD thing is neat but there is one major issue with is that makes it less like cheating and that's the cooldown on getting items:

Orbital Cargo Drone Faction cooldowns
Each faction has different cooldowns in getting items. (no cooldown in putting items to the OCD):

Lawless / No-Faction: 24 hours
Pirate: 12 hours
Trader: No cooldown
Hunter: 6 hours
Alliance 1 hour

We intend to switch to pirate at 4.0 - so the pulling out of the items will be the time sink - yeah I could fill my inventory with iron - but then I'd need to wait 12h to do it again.

Also open to name suggestions for 4.0

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar

FileNotFound posted:

Also open to name suggestions for 4.0

Goonswarm [OHG] has always worked well for us in the past.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

goninzo posted:

Goonswarm [OHG] has always worked well for us in the past.

Needs to end an a P and have Pirate in the name to declare faction.

How Factions work?
There are four factions which keeping the Universe in balance...or not. If you want to be in one of these factions you need the first initial letter of the factions at the end of your Abbrev and the full name of it in your faction name.

Examples:

RBA = ROR Bear Alliance -> this faction has an "A" in the Abbrev on last position AND "Alliance" in the name which works
RBC = ROR Beach Alliance -> this faction has no "A" in the Abbrev BUT "Alliance" in the name which does not work

FPP = Fancy Power Pirates -> this faction has an "P" in the Abbrev on last position AND "Pirate" in the name which works
FF3 = Free Freedom Pirates -> this faction has no "P" in the Abbrev BUT "Pirate" in the name which does not work

FLH = Hunter For Life -> this faction has an "H" in the Abbrev on last position AND "Hunter" in the name which works
HFL = Hunter For Life -> this faction has an "H" in the Abbrev but NOT on last position which does not work

E T = Easy Trader -> this faction has an "T" in the Abbrev on last position AND "Trader" in the name which works
E T = Easy Trolls -> this faction has "T" in the Abbrev on last position BUT "Trolls" in the name which does not work

IDC = I don't Care -> we don't care either - (earlier known as Lawless) no bonus for you ;)
So in short: use A, P, H or T at the last position of your Abbrev and Alliance, Pirate, Trader or Hunter in the full name.

Remember: 3 characters for Abbrev and 20 characters for the name are allowed.

Also - be careful with the 10k artillery turrets idea - it's a good idea with one problem - they are potentially changing the block ID for the artillery turrets as part of 4.0 rebalancing which may make it impossible to exract turrets from the OCD. That should certainly be the case with the old CV blocks as they are fully replaced with the new "Large" CV blocks.

Anyway another ~100k of coins are in one of the constructors for you guys.

Edit: Also with the number of people we have now we maybe able to take ownership of Gold Fed and get super rich.

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 19, 2016

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar
You have some ideas of what blocks you would like those of us with small banks to squirrel away?

Some faction name ideas:
Goon Partnership [GOP]
Goonswarm Party [GSP]
Come In Peace [CIP]
Camp Cool People [CCP]
Lemon Party [LP]
Leet Like Jeff K [JKP]
Micromancer Party [MMP]
Mr Hands People [MHP]

Yes, some of these are offensive. No, I don't know if we would get reported to the admins or if the admins would allow it. Yes, we might lose everything due to an offensive name.

I think because you are a paying member, you would be the best person to start it.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

goninzo posted:

You have some ideas of what blocks you would like those of us with small banks to squirrel away?

Some faction name ideas:
Goon Partnership [GOP]
Goonswarm Party [GSP]
Come In Peace [CIP]
Camp Cool People [CCP]
Lemon Party [LP]
Leet Like Jeff K [JKP]
Micromancer Party [MMP]
Mr Hands People [MHP]

Yes, some of these are offensive. No, I don't know if we would get reported to the admins or if the admins would allow it. Yes, we might lose everything due to an offensive name.

I think because you are a paying member, you would be the best person to start it.

Those won't work because the name has to contain the word "Pirate".

Also, doesn't the alliance faction have the ability to scan space? If we're pirates won't they be able to scan out our CV's and attack them, or are they not able to initiate even against pirates?

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

goninzo posted:

Some faction name ideas:
Goon Partnership [GOP]
Goonswarm Party [GSP]
Come In Peace [CIP]
Camp Cool People [CCP]
Lemon Party [LP]
Leet Like Jeff K [JKP]
Micromancer Party [MMP]
Mr Hands People [MHP]

Generators T2 and large engines are good for compacting a large number of a variety of resources - I think those would be a safe way to pack a ton of resources for the factory in a single stack - assuming generators stack to 999 in the inventory - I'd confirm in creative.

Also would have have Pirate in name. So Goonswarm Pirates would work - GSP.

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 19, 2016

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Those won't work because the name has to contain the word "Pirate".

Also, doesn't the alliance faction have the ability to scan space? If we're pirates won't they be able to scan out our CV's and attack them, or are they not able to initiate even against pirates?

Alliance can do fa:scan every 15 minutes and it will let them know if an enemy is within a 10km range - meaning lawless or pirates. They are forbidden to attack anyone besides lawless and pirates. They are essentially the good guys protecting the carebear traders.

My understanding of the scan is that it's not very helpful as it's really hard to find things in space with it as 10k all around you isn't that helpful when you can only see things at 3km range and not even a hint of direction is given by the scanner. With that said that feeback just comes from 1 guy who was busy for 2 hours in the Story system looking for CVs. He'd get "Enemy detected" every scan but was never actually able to pin down exactly where they were.

Talking to others, most have found CVs by following people back to them. While currently running to your CV for help was a really good way to lose both ships - in 4.0 that may actually be a very valid tactic unless you're being chased by a CV - which is also something that I expect to see in 4.0.

The basic reasoning for going Pirate over lawless is to have access to the permanent PvE pirate homeworld to be able to set up a base there. The admin basically said that he intends to make Lawless have no upsides at all in 4.0. Currently Lawless is nice due to being allowed in PvE space unlike pirates who must live in PvP. In 4.0 having an asset in PvE just makes you not gain rep as a pirate which isn't a big deal and pirates get better OCD cooldown.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
this looks like a neat but unfinished game. is the pvp full of cheaters yet?

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Blazing Zero posted:

Not on Homewords. It's using EAC and has active admins who run monitoring on top of it - if anything it's a bit too sensitive as people have had to appeal bans for moving large stacks of blocks too quickly.

Really most of the "cheating" you'll find people talk about in Homeworlds is 'rule breaking' - such as over device limit CVs and turrets covered by terrain or inside lava.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler
e;fb

Blazing Zero posted:

Short answer: The existing "cheats" won't affect you in any way.

Long answer:

The server we are on right now has device limits on ships. Some of these are for balancing, most of these are due to limitations in the netcode and large device count ships lagging the server. Some orgs on the server (*cough* LHI *cough*) have been purposefully ignoring the device limit while attacking bases and have only been getting slaps on the wrist for it.

So you're not going to face invincible ships, map hacks, unlimited ammo, etc but if you plan on making a pvp base somewhere you should be prepared for certain factions to cheese their way into killing it.

But this is all moot because device limit is going away in 4.0 which should be out by the end of October.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar

Blazing Zero posted:

On non-EAC worlds, I have already seen cheating, but mostly for duping of materials more than anything.

Realize that it is easy to duplicate someone's ship if you're in their faction, you just hit right-alt o. So if you can weasel a char into their alliance, I'm sure you can spawn their ship in single player and find their core to make a quicker kill. But I have not seen anyone doing that just yet. But I'm sure it is coming.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
when i think of cheating, i think of using aimbots and teleport trainers in h1z1, rust, etc. copy-pasting people's builds to find how they design doesnt strike me as cheating per se.

thats cool that the server yall play has mods who enforce balance rules though

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

4.0 wipe maybe anyday now at this point - I'm dumping all I can into my OCD tonight.

Last experimental build was very minor: http://empyriononline.com/threads/alpha-experimental-4-0-build-657.7742/

I would not be surprised if experimental build went live any day now - which would result in a Homeworlds wipe.

Not sure if we can expect Eleon to give warning and Homeworld will wipe as soon as 4.0 goes live.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar
Release Candidate! The end is nigh! Get your stuff into OCD!

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Copper Ingot 20044
Magnesium Powder 23995
Silicon Ingot 11353
Large Fuel Pack 2051
Iron Ingot 13570
120mm Missle 296
Big O2 Bottle 888
Small Medikit 22
Blue Crystal 229
5.8mm Bullet 1547
12.7mm Bullet 227
Sathium Ingot 17112
Promethium Pellets 10015
Cobalt Ingot 15657
Neodymium Ingot 15667
Erestrum Ingot 8058

I never have enough iron...

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

4.0 is Live:

https://forum.empyrion-homeworld.net/t/welcome-to-hws-4-0/1388

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar
Which planet should everyone start on HWS NA?

Earth okay? Or do we want Medium PVE on Mars. Both though it wipes on Fridays.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler
The main problem with starting on planets with no breathable atmosphere is that you're on a planet with no breathable atmosphere. If you're not set up to get oxygen you're pretty screwed.

That having been said, I think most if not all of us are prepared to set up on planet that doesn't have O2. But I was planning on slapping together a cap ship and leaving the PvE start asap. Are the resources on Mars that much better than those on Earth?

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

goninzo posted:

Which planet should everyone start on HWS NA?

Earth okay? Or do we want Medium PVE on Mars. Both though it wipes on Fridays.

I suggest whatever PvE has breathable atmosphere. It used to be Phobos - if that's still it that's what we should do. Starting out in PvP is possibly going to be very slow as you will have to ensure that a faction with a head start doesn't immediately kill you and take your staring minerals.

I'll be on at around 8pm EST - I'll figure out if OCD cooldowns apply in PvE or not - not actually clear if they do, set up the faction see if I can get a basic cap ship built and get out to Homeworlds as thats' where the 4.0 action will be.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar
Yeah, I'm sure we are all getting off there soon, but I think Earth is a better starter for most who didn't stockpile before we left. (note, I didn't actually put things in my OCD because I don't actually have OCD)

Mars will get better materials, for sure, but I know Earth will be getting meteors before. But I think a few of you will have capships immediately.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
uh wow this game looks really good actually

is now a good time for a new player to hop in? now being this afternoon, i suppose

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar

boy are my arms tired posted:

uh wow this game looks really good actually

is now a good time for a new player to hop in? now being this afternoon, i suppose

Yeah, we'll be playing heavily tonight, and some of us earlier than that. Join the HWS NA server, pick EARTH as your starting planet. ( It is PVE with atmosphere.)

We should have capital ships by tonight to get everyone together, but for now, get on planet and start learning how the game works. We'll be on the Camping the Stairs mumble.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

goninzo posted:

Yeah, we'll be playing heavily tonight, and some of us earlier than that. Join the HWS NA server, pick EARTH as your starting planet. ( It is PVE with atmosphere.)

We should have capital ships by tonight to get everyone together, but for now, get on planet and start learning how the game works. We'll be on the Camping the Stairs mumble.

awesome thanks!

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

do fa:survival when you start - it'll give you enough money to buy a Tier 2 miner and some drill charges. If none are listed for sale ask for one to be sold. This will make mining sooo much easier.

You can also abuse the market as a way of teleporting items to people as in :
1 - I put up a want add while in a safe space at an absurdly low price.
2 - You fill my want add, get pennies, I stash your stuff for you.

Also whoever is one earliest should form the faction and start inviting people.

Call it 'Goonswarm Pirates' abbreviation GSP

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 20, 2016

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler
What did we settle on for the name?

Goonswarm Pirates [GSP]?

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar
Faction is up: Goonswarm Pirates [GSP]

We will get off this planet as soon as someone prepared gets us together.

For now, apply and travel to me if you can on your bike. (follow tutorial for awhile)

goninzo fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 20, 2016

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

goninzo posted:

Faction is up: Goonswarm Pirates [GSW]

We will get off this planet as soon as someone prepared gets us together.

For now, apply and travel to me if you can on your bike. (follow tutorial for awhile)

Needs to end in a P to be pirate - GSP

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar

FileNotFound posted:

Needs to end in a P to be pirate - GSP

Done.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Thank you! :yarr:

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar
Honestly, super easy to change your faction, just realized.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

goninzo posted:

Honestly, super easy to change your faction, just realized.

Yeah people abused the poo poo out of it - which is part of why the worlds for factions are being locked down by faction. So you can't just faction hop as you see fit. They also added the concept of reputation points but it seems kinda wonky right now.

Full patch notes:
http://empyriononline.com/threads/alpha-4-0-out-now.7749/

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 20, 2016

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Instant BP construction for donors carried over through the wipe (or completely reset back to your original max count if you used them) so anyone who :10bux: before the wipe should have a couple instant BPs.

I have 8 and only intend to use 2 for my own purposes. If people want to give me mats and their design for any of their long running CV blueprints I would be happy to help first come first serve.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar
I'd settle for a t2 miner at this point.

We have taken over one of the titan halfs, so we show up onthe map pretty easily. Have large constructor, etc.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler
My intruder log is showing me everyone in the PvE start system (at least on Mars and Earth so far). I have no idea why or how since I'm at work and haven't logged in since the wipe but it's amusing to see who is doing what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Also starer world wipe for tonight is canceled. Next wipe is Monday.

• Locked thread