Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
It looks like I savagely underestimated my laptop's capability of running this game smoothly at minimum settings.

Welp, 10 bucks well spent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler
I think we should just blow up the cargo boxes with railgun ammo and see what happens to the rest of our materials. Would likely be the fastest way to get things off the whale.

Edit:

Duzzy Funlop posted:

It looks like I savagely underestimated my laptop's capability of running this game smoothly at minimum settings.

Someone was complaining a couple nights ago that minimum settings actually decreased their performance because lol alpha. Try bumping them up a bit. Also Earth is awful in general.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
drat that's some bad UI.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Steam's refund policy changed a while ago, you get unlimited refunds so long as you haven't played over two hours p much.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar
We are going to be leaving 'soon', so if you can get on, that would be best.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Getting a video card today so I should be able to play tonight. I played this like a year ago and I'm amazed they actually turned it into something that actually works with multiplayer.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar
We are officially moved. Hop on Mumble to talk to us about where.

We need someone go to earth to destroy our bases there, before tonight. Just so we don't ahve to spend the jump fuel to get there.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar
All of our capitals are now in a deep safe spot, so we're set to start raiding. We already killed a SV and one of our SVs got shot down, but we've taken out most of the guns on their base in exchange. The dudes are working on getting the last of it.

We have one remaining CV on our old base planet. If you are joining up, need you to get up to an SV so you can collect fuel to help get you back to our planet. You can find how to build an SV from the blueprint factory, I recommend the SV Tier 1 to start out with.

Dudes are pretty much playing around the clock as well.

Robert Red Rocket
Apr 28, 2013

CHEATED ON HIS WIFE, SLEPT WITH PROSTITUTES ON FBI TAPES, JACQUELINE KENNEDY SAID MLK WAS TAPE-RECORDED BY FBI PLANNING A SEX PARTY
I started playing on HWS a few days back and spawned on Earth when you guys moved onto another planet, is there a way to "restart" so I can spawn on another planet closer to you guys?

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Robert Red Rocket posted:

I started playing on HWS a few days back and spawned on Earth when you guys moved onto another planet, is there a way to "restart" so I can spawn on another planet closer to you guys?

We can pick you up - just hop on mumble.

Robert Red Rocket
Apr 28, 2013

CHEATED ON HIS WIFE, SLEPT WITH PROSTITUTES ON FBI TAPES, JACQUELINE KENNEDY SAID MLK WAS TAPE-RECORDED BY FBI PLANNING A SEX PARTY

FileNotFound posted:

We can pick you up - just hop on mumble.

Yeah, I respawned to the closer planet, typing CB:Reset seems to do the trick.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler
We're moving everything 5-10 km away from where we are so everyone who is offline right now will log in in space. We also need to update the OP to let people know to not spawn private ships/cores in the middle of the goon fleet and leave it there for 10 minutes

We're leaving a few cheap sv's behind for people to follow us at a reasonable speed.

Edit: Looks like they rolled back the instance because the private core respawned. I went ahead with the cap ship move and left 6 SVs behind to ferry people. We only moved ~7 km so it's not that much of a hike.

xanif fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Oct 23, 2016

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Make a ship shaped like a penis and blow up pubs

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice
I did a solo run to the Erestrium and Zascosium planets earlier. Fully expected to not come home in my CV but I didn't run into anyone at all.

It looks like warp in point for systems are a static spot.. so I could definitely see similar behavior to Eve gatecamps happening. Just sit at the warp in point with a fleet.

Anyways, I'm going to join up with the rest of you guys in the next couple days or so. Just waiting for my combat CV to finish and build a couple throwaway SVs

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar
We camped a spot today, didn't run into anyone. Everyone is still hiding on earth too much, I think. They have to move tonight or they lose their stuff on earth when it wipes.

We did wreck an npc base but meh.

If you are playing on HWS NA, make sure to get on mumble and join us. We always need more people. Even if you don't have an SV or CV.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Having a real pain even getting onto the HWS servers. I keep losing connection while loading. I'll try medium-ing out some settings and see if that helps with load times.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
How does Empyrion compare the the multitude of other space crafting games? I am a sucker for these things, so I'm curious what it has over Space Engineers, StarMade, or even Planet Explorers?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Space Engineers themed building with varied planets and not being a laggy resource hog.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Solvency posted:

How does Empyrion compare the the multitude of other space crafting games? I am a sucker for these things, so I'm curious what it has over Space Engineers, StarMade, or even Planet Explorers?

You get to kill people. That's really the big difference and that's what really makes it worth playing.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Yeah there's a sort of Rust like metagame, you can murder people in space, break their toys, and steal everything they own

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler
We went ahead and split up Goonropa and Whale in the manner we have been discussing for a while so don't freak out when you log in and it's not there. Most SV's from Whale have been put on Goonroopa.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Solvency posted:

I haven't played Planet Explorers but here's the main comparisons I can come up with:

Empyrion vs. Space Engineers
  • Space Engineers has way more in depth building while Empyrion has way more in depth gameplay (multiple planets, a small variety of enemies, looting NPC stuff etc.)
  • While they have similar scopes in terms of crafting, I find Empyrion a bit easier to get into because you don't have to program any blocks or conveyors or whatever. Everything's pretty intuitive once you figure out the...
  • Controls. Empyrion has less controls than Space Engineers and it's physics engine is a lot looser. Bunny hopping semi Doom/Painkiller* was the fastest way to get around without using any fuel before they put the motorbike in.
  • Actually has a decent multiplayer (At least I can run it even if I'm having problems getting in.)

*Bunny Hopping in Empyrion is more about maximizing your stamina usage. Instead of running and hopping forever; you let go of your run button in the air while pressing it for landings so you get running speed jumps and distance with only a fraction of the stamina cost.

Empyrion vs. StarMade
  • StarMade is all about blocks/voxels while Empyrion is a mix of voxel building and normal polygon stuff.
  • StarMade is 100% about your vessels and builds, while Empyrion has a nice smorgasbord of handheld weapons.
  • StarMade's systems are complex (power blocks work a certain way, shield recharge/capacity blocks also have their rules, every weapon system can be combined with other weapon systems and effects to make different weapons) while Empyrion's are rather simple.
  • StarMade pretty much has no single player to speak of and is mostly multiplayer while there's a decent singeplayer in Empyrion.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar
Need to make sure we keep CV and SV's off the planets that cause us to get taxed.

A reminder, on HWS NA, Earth, Moon, and Mars all get wiped today. If you are not off it by the time the wipe happens, you will lose all buildings and vehicles there.

Space in that system will not get wiped till Friday, so get a CV and get out of there. Though space is PVP.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

PVE start space is pve, not pvp.

I would like to do some more pvp ship design trials tonight so we can try to come up with a standard pvp CV and SV for those who do not want to put together their own designs. I am putting the finishing touches on a new pvp CV and I think it should prove pretty potent but I'd like to test it against the best everyone else has to offer.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

PVE start space is pve, not pvp.

I would like to do some more pvp ship design trials tonight so we can try to come up with a standard pvp CV and SV for those who do not want to put together their own designs. I am putting the finishing touches on a new pvp CV and I think it should prove pretty potent but I'd like to test it against the best everyone else has to offer.

I'll be happy to help. I also have my combat CV made on the real server and intend to take it to the Trader Homeworld and camp the are between the planet and moon.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Applied to join on HWS as spookydonut, help I have no idea how to build anything.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

Thanks for this! Guess I now have to pick this up while it's on sale since it seems like it's a fair bit different then some of the others out there.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Spookydonut posted:

Applied to join on HWS as spookydonut, help I have no idea how to build anything.

Saddly whatever garbage we left behind that could have helped you is wiped out on the newbie world at this point. Xanif should be on later today and on Mumble and can help you get off the starter planet and hooked up with a basic SV to get you started on mining space rocks and shooting mans.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

God drat I just spawned in Big Red, the Space Winnebago and I have never been prouder. God bless this game. And don't worry I set it to faction.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar
Need something to do?

Forays in a CV to Pirate Planet (space is pvp, planet is pve) to get iron is helpful. (We need shitloads. People are not carrying shitloads of iron. like 30-50k for CVs.)

Go to gold planet in an SV to get gold, report back any bases found to dudes.

Work in single player to build combat CVs, or practice assaulting each other on the Goon test server (let me know if you need admin to spawn stuff in).

Get base more organized like a good space mom.

MAYBE infiltrate a group and find out where they are living. I'm not sure how this server will react to us doing this but we could do a 'light' version of it. Make it look like an accident maybe, like spawning in a SV as private and then not immediate switch it. If you are caught, we will disavow any knowledge of your actions.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar
BTW, I need three CV suggestions: a basic one just to get out of the system, a capable one with some guns and some armor, and a full combat one.

The old ones in the thread are no longer good due to the large block changes.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

This is my cheap solo CV:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=785295424

Friends only. I don't want non Goons flying around in this.

Its' not as good as SpaceShark in combat but a bit cheaper and has grow pots. (Just enough for 1 person really)

The idea is that 1 person can live out of it. It also has all the guns you could need to engage and kill other CVs. At 11k iron cost it's cheap enough to do dumb things with.

Add me if you want it: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Mordgier/

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 24, 2016

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice

goninzo posted:

MAYBE infiltrate a group and find out where they are living. I'm not sure how this server will react to us doing this but we could do a 'light' version of it. Make it look like an accident maybe, like spawning in a SV as private and then not immediate switch it. If you are caught, we will disavow any knowledge of your actions.

I think they mentioned that in the griefing rules. They seem pretty against stuff like that so I would be weary.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I built a new combat oriented CV.

Also some goon blob. This is only about half our current CV's.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Gamerofthegame posted:

drat that's some bad UI.

Steam's refund policy changed a while ago, you get unlimited refunds so long as you haven't played over two hours p much.

Cheers for the hint, dude.

Welp, it's been real, y'all. Maybe I'll grab this again when I'm back to a machine that an actually run it. It looked like fun, and was my first game of the genre.

The dickplants were a little off-putting, but digging myself into a 30-foot straight-down hole due to Minecraft PTSD, and murdering the offspring of some mutant mule was fun while it lasted.

/edit:
Okay, I guess you guys got an accounting problem there for a second, imgur weird :confused:

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 25, 2016

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

The goon capital fleet is shaping up to be properly terror-inspiring

Also, we're going to drop these on some poor unsuspecting pubby's head

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler

dylguy90 posted:

Also, we're going to drop these on some poor unsuspecting pubby's head

I just tried to drop it on a rat base.

Died 3 times, all tanks and carrier lost. I'll upload the video later so you can watch me flail around with the UI and a number of examples of why you should always have your turrets set to only attack other factions and not predators/prey. Didn't check that before hand. I could use some help on tank designs as mine apparently are awful.

Also, Ulonam is PvE until Wednesday morning at 3am eastern. There is more than 60k iron ore on the planet. We started taking it but there is just so much we couldn't make much of a dent. Plus side is we now have more than 140k iron ingots on whale alone.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar

xanif posted:

I just tried to drop it on a rat base.

Died 3 times, all tanks and carrier lost. I'll upload the video later so you can watch me flail around with the UI and a number of examples of why you should always have your turrets set to only attack other factions and not predators/prey. Didn't check that before hand. I could use some help on tank designs as mine apparently are awful.

hahahah seriously? You lost it all to rats? :v: drat man. That is amusing. I look forward to the video.

We need a general Goon tutorial video, I suppose too. I'll see if I can't narrate a pick up.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

xanif posted:

Also, Ulonam is PvE until Wednesday morning at 3am eastern. There is more than 60k iron ore on the planet. We started taking it but there is just so much we couldn't make much of a dent. Plus side is we now have more than 140k iron ingots on whale alone.

How much did you guys mine out?

I'm curious to see how our buried autominers do.

Also - looking forward to the video so I can make fun of you.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler

FileNotFound posted:

How much did you guys mine out?

I'm curious to see how our buried autominers do.

Also - looking forward to the video so I can make fun of you.

We mined out two of the 8k deposits and one of the 17k deposits. Not until there was no more ore left but just to the point where they fell of the map so the autominers are buried. It also appears that the ore counter is accurate but disappears once it gets below ~10%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
There's a lot of iron meteorites falling on the pirate planet.

Also we have 3 and a bit boxes of iron ingots.

• Locked thread