Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Just watched this movie after seeing this thread and can confirm that not only is the OP absolutely correct but this movie is bullshit in that it only references initial d once and has none of the epic soundtrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

DeusExMachinima posted:

... approx. 50 feet. The towers are almost 1,000 feet tall ...

velocity in FPS squared (60mph is 88 feet per second)...

Looks like Dom ends up as a smashed bug at the bottom of a 1,000 foot tower. :(

So you are saying he falls 1,000 feet while being unable to clear a 50 foot gap traveling 88 feet per second? You are saying he hits the ground in less than 0.5682 seconds?

I don't think this checks out.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Corky Romanovsky posted:

So you are saying he falls 1,000 feet while being unable to clear a 50 foot gap traveling 88 feet per second? You are saying he hits the ground in less than 0.5682 seconds?

I don't think this checks out.

Based on the L value I got, I'm assuming the car will decelerate once it leaves the first tower, maybe it will tumble, and otherwise not remain aerodynamically stable enough to keep going in a straight line. The fall to the ground would probably take 4-5 seconds from that high up.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Smythe posted:

this movie is bullshit in that it only references initial d once and has none of the epic soundtrack.
I have never seen the movie and only assumed this was the case but now that I know I refuse to watch it thank you Smythe

Infyrno
Jul 24, 2003

The Duke
To hide the computer thing inside the car SOMETHING had to be removed first. Assume that lots and lots of weight was removed and that it was faster and I think it can work without needing to be at top speed.

Tokyo Drift takes places after Fast and Furious 5 chronologically. Maybe that answers some questions?

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Infyrno posted:

Tokyo Drift takes places after Fast and Furious 5 chronologically. Maybe that answers some questions?

Does it? You tell me, I havent seen the other ones.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
human being car movies

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

i had a '92 hatch. it was brilliant even with the lovely pickup truck motor, a Great Car. perfect glass, perfect body, headlights worked

the guy i sold it to rolled it 10 days later :rip:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

DeusExMachinima posted:

k mate

The car used in this scene was the Lykan Hypersport, which is capable of 0-60mph in 2.8 seconds. I'll assume that it hit 60 by the time it blew through the side of the building. It is 176.4 inches long by 76.5 inches wide for a total underbelly surface area of approximately 1,124.55 square feet. Judging from a rough estimate on Google Maps, the distance between the Etihad Towers (the location used in the movie) is approx. 50 feet. The towers are almost 1,000 feet tall so I'll use that altitude for determining air resistance using ICAO standard atmosphere tables.

When calculating lift for aircraft, you use the formula L = (1/2) d v2 s CL. L is for the total lift obviously, d is for air density (in this case at 1,000 feet), v2 is for velocity in FPS squared (60mph is 88 feet per second), s is for wing surface (so the 1,124.55 sq ft underbelly surface area from before) and CL is a wonky value that basically means what angle you're at as you move through the air. I'll assume that angle is zero degrees for the sake of simplicity and because Dom just drove off a flat floor. Zero degrees makes for a CL value of .18 or so.

So,

L = (1/2) .002308 x 7,744 x 1,124.55 x .18

L equals 1,808.93. As a general rule of thumb to allow flight for more than a few feet, L must equal the aircraft's weight in pounds. The Hypersport weighs 3,042 lbs. Looks like Dom ends up as a smashed bug at the bottom of a 1,000 foot tower. :(

e: however, if Dom reached the maximum speed of the Hypersport at 245mph then L becomes 60,211 making a 50 foot jump potentially plausible! Hope he made a few laps around the top floor before he ploughed through the window!

tell me more about this 1,100 square foot car

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
This is some Berenstain Bears poo poo

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Actually it is more like A Beautiful Mind which is always a great theory when it works out like that

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
How are we sure Twink isn't the real one, and Sean is just a figment of his imagination?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

CharlestonJew posted:

How are we sure Twink isn't the real one, and Sean is just a figment of his imagination?

Because your american movie scene doesn't do black protaganists with white helpful friends it only does the opposite again and again and again

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
Do you know what DK stands for?

Donkey Kong?

No it stands for Giant loving Forehead

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

drat this made me miss Paul something FIERCE.

Miss u Paul u were 2 fast for this world

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
The Wire season 2 was the best season of The Wire

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

JakeP posted:

The Wire season 2 was the best season of The Wire

RIP Sabotka clan

love my preemies!
Sep 26, 2004

Nonviolent J posted:

human being car movies

Dom: Lets ride

*jumps in rainbow colored smart car*

Dom: This thing is a beast

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

love my preemies! posted:

Dom: Lets ride

*jumps in rainbow colored smart car*

Dom: This thing is a beast

No, they'd all be in Neon SXT's, Newer Civics and V6 Mustangs

pillock case
Jul 1, 2007
watership downs
"dew rag"

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

DeusExMachinima posted:

It is 176.4 inches long by 76.5 inches wide for a total underbelly surface area of approximately 1,124.55 square feet.

That's not how any of that works.

tomatoes and shit
Sep 17, 2015

ok but explain the fight scene where he gets his rear end beat for allegedly selling a broken mp3 player?

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
We need another stats goon to run the numbers. Possibly re enact the jump with hot wheels

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Pookum posted:

We need another stats goon to run the numbers. Possibly re enact the jump with hot wheels

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull

tomatoes and poo poo posted:

ok but explain the fight scene where he gets his rear end beat for allegedly selling a broken mp3 player?

but he already explain it?

the white guy, sane, gets jumped and give up mp3 because he got no .. spine

in sane head he think it of a black guy

black guy get beat up

sane step in say - here take this mp3 and go in peace ful

feels good but in real times is crying like baby because of multiple contusions and lacerations and lost mp3 to tiny asian men with bad minds

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

DeusExMachinima posted:

e: however, if Dom reached the maximum speed of the Hypersport at 245mph then L becomes 60,211 making a 50 foot jump potentially plausible! Hope he made a few laps around the top floor before he ploughed through the window!
Did you just say a car will take off and fly if it reaches 245 mph? Woah.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Physics goon here. Haven't seen the scene, but jumping a car without a ramp is a real bad idea. When your front wheels leave the surface, the car starts rotating, since it's only supported by the back wheels. By the time the back wheels clear, the car has acquired a significant angular momentum. While in flight it will continue rotating until it lands. Depending on how long the flight is, this can be A.) bad or B.) really bad. Since it was horizontal initially, it will be tilted forward when it lands, and therefore land radiator-first instead of on its wheels. Assuming you make it into the other skyscraper at all, which you probably won't because skyscrapers don't have enough space to get up a good speed, you're gonna crash your car.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

DontMockMySmock posted:

Physics goon here. Haven't seen the scene, but jumping a car without a ramp is a real bad idea. When your front wheels leave the surface, the car starts rotating, since it's only supported by the back wheels. By the time the back wheels clear, the car has acquired a significant angular momentum. While in flight it will continue rotating until it lands. Depending on how long the flight is, this can be A.) bad or B.) really bad. Since it was horizontal initially, it will be tilted forward when it lands, and therefore land radiator-first instead of on its wheels. Assuming you make it into the other skyscraper at all, which you probably won't because skyscrapers don't have enough space to get up a good speed, you're gonna crash your car.
The car is rear engined and has aero meant to place a moment on the car rotating backward so I'd be more worried about turning upside down and entering the next building rear end first.

Ballistic is the first thing to look at to see what is even the realm of the problem. Depending how fast you think he got it going, you are looking at 1/2 to 2 seconds of free fall if its only 50 ft between buildings. That's like 5 ft dropped best case, or 60 or so ft worst case. A story is generally what, 10 feet? In the movie it drops a handull of stories so its on the realm of made up but probably thought about for 5 minutes.

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*

DontMockMySmock posted:

okay fine but what if the car is driven by twink? you say the car stays straight then starts rotating towards bad business but OP suggested that twink is an allegory for sean's idealized lover, so maybe its curved upwards at the end like a torqued chub and just rotates.. upwards?

confrim/ deny?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
What if the torque on the rear wheels plus the down force from the spoiler perfectly balances the car until both wheels leave the surface?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

DontMockMySmock posted:

Here, let me explain. The guy driving the car is cool (and hot). The car he is driving is also cool and very fast. The idea of jumping a car between two skyscrapers is extremely cool. The cool guy drives a cool fast car sideways then jumps between two buildings, which, as discussed before, is extremely cool. What do you not understand?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

satanic splash-back posted:

Here, let me explain. The guy driving the car is cool (and hot). The car he is driving is also cool and very fast. The idea of jumping a car between two skyscrapers is extremely cool. The cool guy drives a cool fast car sideways then jumps between two buildings, which, as discussed before, is extremely cool. What do you not understand?

Do not accost the helpful goons.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

DeusExMachinima posted:

So,

L = (1/2) .002308 x 7,744 x 1,124.55 x .18

L equals 1,808.93. As a general rule of thumb to allow flight for more than a few feet, L must equal the aircraft's weight in pounds. The Hypersport weighs 3,042 lbs. Looks like Dom ends up as a smashed bug at the bottom of a 1,000 foot tower. :(

I appreciate this, however in the movie the car doesn't really lift off like a plane or anything, it just jumps between two buildings, falling a few floors on the way.

I think this will help you guys understand the problem better:

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Listen I ramp my 91' Nissan truck all the time it's easy

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Captain Yossarian posted:

Listen I ramp my 91' Nissan truck all the time it's easy

But you're a dog!

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I ramped a car once and let me tell you

It was loving rad, you guys

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Have we counted the amount of extra propulsion the explosion provided?

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I'm going to try to think back to HS physics class.

Distance between towers: 50m (we need to jump this far)
Drop in floors between towers: 5? (we drop ~15m)

Car jump info!!
initial horizontal velocity: 26.822 meters/second
horizontal velocity: 0 m/s
initial vertical velocity: 0 m/s
vertical velocity -9.8 m/s/s
height y: 15m (drop from 1 tower to the next)
distance traveled for the jump x: ????

using the kinematic equations we should first determine the time of flight

-15m = (0 m/s) * t + 0.5 * -9.8 m/s/s * t^2
-15m = 0.5 * -9.8 m/s/s * t^2
-15m = -4.9 m/s/s * t^2
3.06122 s^2 = t^2
total flight time t = 1.75 seconds

Now we can determine the distance traveled x

x = 26.822 m/s * 1.75 s + 0.5*(0 m/s/s) * 1.75 s ^2
total distanct traveled x = 48.47 m

SO, even if you don't account for the loss of speed breaking through the window and air resistance, the car would fall just short of the other tower and Dom would fall to a fiery death. :(

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

Pawn 17 posted:

Car jump info!!

-15m = -4.9 m/s/s * t^2
3.06122 s^2 = t^2

SO, even if you don't account for the loss of speed breaking through the window and air resistance, the car would fall just short of the other tower and Dom would fall to a fiery death. :(

But what if he started on a treadmill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

Pawn 17 posted:

Car jump info!!

-15m = -4.9 m/s/s * t^2
3.06122 s^2 = t^2

What speed in MPH would the car have to be going to make the jump? Assuming the smashing glass doesn't significantly decelerate the car?

• Locked thread