Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Baker
Jan 25, 2012

Numb me, drill me
Floss me, bill me
Goldberg's segment will go down much like the Matt Hardy segment where he was brought back after being shoot fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Dr. Baker posted:

Goldberg's segment will go down much like the Matt Hardy segment where he was brought back after being shoot fired.

I look forward to Goldberg calling Paul Heyman a whore and threatening to legit murder Brock Lesnar.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

If they have Goldberg come out and do a promo instead of appear in the middle of someone's match, Jackhammer them, and yell "I ACCEPT" into a mic then RAW is unsalvageable

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
yeah but what if he throws out his back while delivering the jackhammer (because he's oldberg)

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Everybody knows wants to know, what is it like to be able to create buzz on the online for Goldberg, and save the WWE for a couple months if you so choose? @SoDuTw

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/sigmafactor/status/788109775997374465

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

go go go go ROSCOE! posted:

yeah but what if he throws out his back while delivering the jackhammer (because he's oldberg)

You can just replace him with gillberg then. It's not like anyone is going to notice.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

go go go go ROSCOE! posted:

throwing out his back and collapsing in the ring before saying "i accept" would be the most raw thing imaginable

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fire Baron Corbin.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

That hairline though

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

If this had been Randy Orton, it would have been completely accurate.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Stale Saltines posted:

I wonder if this is the end of them being able to rely on nostalgia acts to boost interest. All the stars from the late 90s early 2000s boom are either too old or too beat up or they've moved on to other things. Goldberg is the last one I can think of that might have made any waves at this point but the people who would give a poo poo about his return are probably the same people that watch week after week anyway.

This is an interesting thought exercise.
Stone Cold (golden years: 97-2001) - Will die/crippled if goes in ring. Current job: Podcaster/show host.
The Rock (gold years 98-20024, 2011-12?) - can still go in ring. Current Job: full time hollywood actor. Biggest star outside WWE.
Undertaker (1991-2010?) - so very old and slow. Current job: Annual wrestlemania appearance.
Mankind/Mick Foley (golden wrestler years 97-2000) - Old and broken. Current job: Convention celebrity/on screen WWE authority.
Shawn Micheals (1989-98, 2002-2010) - Retired but could still go. Job: Dad and Jesus.
Bret Hart (85-2000) - Sadly old and broken. Current Job: Canadian Hero and making old man posts/interviews/statements.
HHH (97-2007) - Can go. Job: being the real boss and cool dad to indy dudes in NXT.
Warrior (88-92?) - gay bashing in republican valhalla.
Kurt Angle: (98-2007) - Crippled but determined to die in ring. Job: trying to find a ring to die in.
Eddie Guerrero (96-2005) - Dead.
Benoit (94-2006) - Redacted and victim of that bastard Kevin Sullivan.
Sting (88-2000?) - Killed by Seth Rollins.
Kevin Nash (88-99) - He will show up for a pay-cheque. Old but never was that speedy. Current job: seducing your mom and a few films.
DDP (94-2000) - Could probably go in ring. Was only a jobber in the WWE. Job: being cool Zen grandpa and helping people.
Nature Boy Ric Flair (77-2008) - Old, drunk and crazy. Would somehow still put on a decent match you will feel bad for watching. Job: Your sad drunk great grandpa.
Randy Savage (85-2000) - Dead.
Hogan (1980 - 98??) - Been a bad nazi carny vampire for years, brother. Job: hailing hitler and soaking in the gawker money.
Scott Steiner (92-2002) - Could go in ring. Unless hes gotten fat as he owns a restaurant with his brother.
Booker T (93-2007) - Could go in ring. Job: shucky ducky quack quack.
RVD (96-2007) Could go in ring. Job: 420 and terrible d level movies.
Batista (2003-2010, 2014-15) Could go in ring. Job: breaking hearts by not wrestling again/ making movies.
Scott Hall (88-99) - Lets not say anything as I don't want to be sad.
Edge (98-2011) - Neck held together by magic wishes so should not be anywhere near ring. Job: being a cool dude and chilling with his buddy Christian and his wife. He has the happiest ending so leave him be.

So that was the big guys around that late 90s and early 00s when WWE was big. I didn't include midcarders like Godfather, Val Venis and Lance Storm as, while we loved them, they aren't going to draw in a bunch of people that aren't already buying a ticket. I also didn't include the Queens of the old era like Trish and Lita as they also are not going to get that many casuals back, no matter how great they were. Most of those guys outside the Rock and Batista aren't even known by most millennials. Hogan would get some people back but would it be enough? I've heard non wrestling fans think "oooooo yeah brother" was his catchphrase. Don't think anyone, outside of MAYBE the Rock, bringing back casuals. We are what comic fans were 20-30 years ago... mixed with a little redneck.

Back before most of our days there was Junkyard Dog. I read articles about how big he was in his home territory and what an impact he had on the locals around him. When he would go to whatever other territory his fans would follow due to their love of the Superstar Junkyard Dog. To them he was this giant that represented everything from the plucky hero to civil rights and upward racial and social momentum. The article I read was amazing how it captured the impact this icon had on many people down south. I love wrestling but Vince had a mission and spent years making it about the WWE brand more than an individual wrestler. He succeeded. Sadly that brand didn't the capture hearts and minds of the general populace. You can spend pages with whys and wherefores but the fact is there aren't icons like back in the day, like Junkyard Dog. Years ago people flocked to the image of larger than life wrestlers. Ric Flair styling and profiling, Hogan eating vitamins and 24 inch pythons, the greedy and despicable Million Dollar Man, Savage and Ms. Elizabeth. Even people lower on the card had something. Koko B Ware had his parrot, The Hart Foundation were great in the ring and Canadian and the British Bulldogs were power meets high flying in he UK. That sticks out in your noggin. When you spend a decade no longer making those "bigger than the brand" types of archetypes there is little overall pop increased by their return. It gets worse when you take away their reasons to fight or most of their character. Why should anyone care if the title, that's an afterthought, is fought by "wrestler x" and "wrestler y"? No heels, no faces, no stars and don't even use the words wrestling or belt.

What's happening tonight on Raw again?

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 17, 2016

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

If this happened in real life how long before the promoter just stops the match and fires both guys on the spot?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Benne posted:

If this happened in real life how long before the promoter just stops the match and fires both guys on the spot?

Brock and Goldberg were already leaving.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Goldberg shouldn't talk imo

Just interfere in a lovely tag team match and destroy everybody

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

DoctorGonzo posted:

Fire Baron Corbin.

wow they managed to model his gut properly

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

I half expect them to have Goldust put a wig on him again.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Goldberg will do a promo with Foley and Stephanie. Everyone will lose overness after that segment.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Man, people are going to be really pissed when they find out Brock vs Goldberg 2 is just going to be them playing 2k17. THE ULTIMATE MARKETING TIE-IN!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Von_Doom posted:

DDP (94-2000) - Could probably go in ring. Was only a jobber in the WWE. Job: being cool Zen grandpa and helping people.

DDP is, like, 60, and looked like he wanted to die after delivering his first Diamond Cutter in last year's Rumble.

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
Goldberg is going to be a pokemon R-Truth captures tonight.
OR
Goldberg will destroy a tag team, grab a mic to yell "LESNAR YOU'RE NEXT" to a jacked crowd before Steph comes down to the ring and dresses him down for a solid fifteen minutes until everyone wants to die.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Steph verbally berating Goldberg into tears

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

What Offspring song with James Ellsworth come out to after he wins the title?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

We all thought it was going to be Brauuuuuuun squashing the CWs, turns out we were wrong

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Bring back December to Dismember and give us a main event of Goldberg as Killer Santa vs. Kane as the Christmas Creature.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Gavok posted:

Bring back December to Dismember and give us a main event of Goldberg as Killer Santa vs. Kane as the Christmas Creature.

And also Xanta Kla...oh..oh right. :smith:

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

DDP is, like, 60, and looked like he wanted to die after delivering his first Diamond Cutter in last year's Rumble.

Aww... he looked tired but happy to be there. Sadly most of those guys having about the same chance. Batista, HHH, RVD, HBK and the Rock have the highest chances of bringing the in ring goods; that said, remember the ring rust Batista had last time? I almost feel bad for Goldberg if he expects to show his kid a good match. Still... I don't see any of those name getting some guy who hasn't watched in years to buy another ticket if he wasn't already taking his kid or grandkid. Isn't there some cliche about looking forward and not back?

edit

Gavok posted:

I never knew I wanted this until now. Please take my money. Let's get Hanukkah and Kwanza themed characters and make this a 4 way dance. Or bring back the leprechaun, Boogey Man and Miz dressed as the Gobbledy Gooker so they can do a holiday Thunderdome.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 17, 2016

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rhonne posted:

What Offspring song with James Ellsworth come out to after he wins the title?

Pretty Fly for a White Guy

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

I'm more pumped for Styles/Ellsworth than I am Goldberg coming back tonight

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

schweens posted:

he's more over than everyone but like styles, cena, and new day. might as well make him Miz's next feud

since i already had a post opened up here's a gift from seth "nazi fucker" rollins:

https://twitter.com/WWERollins/status/788081126883545088

Follow up: https://twitter.com/WWEBigE/status/788120921940697089

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

OGB posted:

I look forward to Goldberg calling Paul Heyman a whore and threatening to legit murder Brock Lesnar.

The tribal tattoo will become a symbol.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Von_Doom posted:

Aww... he looked tired but happy to be there. Sadly most of those guys having about the same chance. Batista, HHH, RVD, HBK and the Rock have the highest chances of bringing the in ring goods

Well, HHH still tries to wrestle at least once or twice a year because he can't let go. Batista seems genuinely done. All RVD can do is botch high spots. The Rock required emergency surgery after his last match.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
That big list of nostalgia acts doesn't include Jericho, who still rules.

He'll take a break for like 8 months to a year sometimes, and then when he's back everyone's like "Oh boy, cool dad again. :geno:" and then he ends up being awesome and putting on really good matches.

oblique
Sep 20, 2001

Like me, they have no way to go but up.

Timby posted:

Well, HHH still tries to wrestle at least once or twice a year because he can't let go. Batista seems genuinely done. All RVD can do is botch high spots. The Rock required emergency surgery after his last match.

That wasn't his last match, c'mon man

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

oblique posted:

That wasn't his last match, c'mon man

You can forgive someone for not remembering everything from the death march that was Wrestlemania 32

oblique
Sep 20, 2001

Like me, they have no way to go but up.

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

You can forgive someone for not remembering everything from the death march that was Wrestlemania 32

Maybe so, but I will never forget Erick Rowan's heroic sacrifice to appease the man setting fire to the place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Last week Heyman has words from Lesnar. This week, Goldberg will be there to respond. How will Lesnsr and Heyman respond next week?!?!

totally exciting wrestling stuff there

• Locked thread