Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you joining NaNoWriMo this year?
Yes
No
JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOJOOOOOOOOOOO
View Results

• Locked thread
Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
Someone from here already wrote over 10k words. What the hell, Nighthand :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Just hit 4433, I could keep going because it's still early in the day but my neck is getting real stiff.

Fun NaNo toy I found in case anyone wants to play with it: give yourself a Pokemon, it levels up/evolves as your wordcount increases: http://thousandroads.net/fanfic/nanowrimon/

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

Thanks for the link! Though it meant several moments of trying to figure out a Pokemon that I liked the entire evolutionary chain of, was three stage, and didn't mega evolve.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

I think Spinda best represents my NaNo experience so far.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Nethilia posted:

Thanks for the link! Though it meant several moments of trying to figure out a Pokemon that I liked the entire evolutionary chain of, was three stage, and didn't mega evolve.

Good choice!!

Getsuya posted:

I think Spinda best represents my NaNo experience so far.

Haha, I had to go with the Charmander because it's one of my favorites, but next time I might pick Psyduck for the authentic experience of looking at an empty document with a :psyduck: expression.

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 2, 2016

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!

Hey, cool. I haven't played Pokemon in a long time but this was always my favorite. Successful NaNo so far

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Pikestaff posted:

Just hit 4433, I could keep going because it's still early in the day but my neck is getting real stiff.

I'm going with the "keep some reserves in the tank" writing advice to make a daily goal and stop writing, even if you want to keep going, so you're more likely to hop to it tomorrow. The theory has worked so far most of the year, at a rate of 500 words per day (when I can, because poo poo happens). For NaNo I've bumped it up to 2k. After hitting it today, I walked away just before ending the scene, and I already have a better idea of how to end it than the first idea I would have gone with had I kept writing (I am working from an outline, but it's a loose one).

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Huh, that's pretty cool.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

Stuporstar posted:

I'm going with the "keep some reserves in the tank" writing advice to make a daily goal and stop writing, even if you want to keep going, so you're more likely to hop to it tomorrow. The theory has worked so far most of the year, at a rate of 500 words per day (when I can, because poo poo happens). For NaNo I've bumped it up to 2k. After hitting it today, I walked away just before ending the scene, and I already have a better idea of how to end it than the first idea I would have gone with had I kept writing (I am working from an outline, but it's a loose one).
I'm not a great writer, but this technique really helps me resume my writing when I come back to it.. I try to stop in mid-sentence, where I know I'll pick things up again.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I've been writing a script. Either a comic of a movie. i'm not worried about the format for now, just get a first draft of the story itself down.

Edit: Are we allowed to post links to what we have so far or is there a special place to do that?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 3, 2016

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Man, I can't think of character names quickly but I need to write quickly, so this manuscript is littered with "oh yes I do like dogs," said [DOGLIKERDUDE] as he walked down [BORING] Street.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

BigRed0427 posted:

I've been writing a script. Either a comic of a movie. i'm not worried about the format for now, just get a first draft of the story itself down.

Edit: Are we allowed to post links to what we have so far or is there a special place to do that?

Unless a mod says otherwise I say it's okay to post links to your work. :)

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/10RZ1slM3MzxDpvFeD1UwU9kUtCUncAxMrtSISRH2vmM/edit?usp=sharing

Ok then. Here it is. Again. I'm not worried about formatting correctly. Just trying to get story and dialog down.

Loud Mouse
Dec 19, 2008

MY WILL IS THE CHEESE CLUB
NOTHING IS BETTER THAN CHEESE

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Man, I can't think of character names quickly but I need to write quickly, so this manuscript is littered with "oh yes I do like dogs," said [DOGLIKERDUDE] as he walked down [BORING] Street.

I found this when I was trying to come up with character names:

http://random-name-generator.info/random/?n=10&g=3&st=2

I just hit refresh until I see something I like. It was very helpful coming up with names of characters I don't care about.

Stuporstar posted:

I have been trying this too. Not necessary stopping at a specific word goal, but instead stopping at a really interesting point. Something that sounds like it should have a big reveal. And then I just walk away. It gives me something to think about while I go do other things for a little while. It's been pretty helpful.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I was going to do this and write lovely celebrity fan fiction this year as a joke, but I don't have the time this year. Good luck to everyone involved.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

gently caress me, I messed up and I'm doing Nano after all I guess. Justifying it by basically making it sort of a sequel to the project I'm in the middle of editing (read: rehauling from the ground up so it's basically nothing like the original anymore), which means I can add in content I wanted to put in the original but wouldn't fit for pacing or plot reasons. I don't think I'll actually reach 50k this month, but I don't see a reason why that should stop me.

1083 words so far, I actually like how it's turned out a lot! At the same time it's really obvious I just finished replaying Sleeping Dogs because there sure are a lot of bullets flying around :v:

I'll put up my page and add anyone I don't already have from previous years after I'm done with this!

edit: 1477 words seems good for tonight, I guess.
http://nanowrimo.org/participants/panda_hero

melodicwaffle fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Nov 3, 2016

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Ugh, watched the World Series, and only hit 1027 words today. I'm still on pace, but not a great second day.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?

Juanito posted:

I'm not a great writer, but this technique really helps me resume my writing when I come back to it.. I try to stop in mid-sentence, where I know I'll pick things up again.
I seriously envy people who can do this. I leave mid scene or mid sentence and I come back to it later saying "where the gently caress was I going with this?"

When it comes to names, I use Behind The Name and the sister site for surnames. They don't have everything, but it allows me to search super easily for names of a particular gender or place.

I've got another 1617 words added onto my total, but I really want to keep writing. At least enough to get another idea for where the story is headed, because I'm winging most of this but can't write poo poo if I don't have some ideas.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

CantDecideOnAName posted:

I seriously envy people who can do this. I leave mid scene or mid sentence and I come back to it later saying "where the gently caress was I going with this?"

Same here. If I don't write it out immediately it's gone. Thank you ADHD.

Re: names: I use Scrivener and it has a built-in name generator. Honestly I have no idea what I would do without Scrivener. This is my fourth or fifth NaNo with it and it's such a fantastic program.

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

http://fantasynamegenerators.com/

It's been my go to for a long time--it'll even throw out streets if you use the street generator.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Haha, there are already so many brackets and parentheses in my writing from doing this exact thing that I'm beginning to think that I'll have more writing to do in editing than what I'm doing now.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I do this too but I put food names in the brackets so I end up with Captain [Potato] of the [Pancake Nation]

I also make liberal use of putting notes like "(horrible paragraph, fix later)" mid-sentence.

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Nov 3, 2016

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Oh that's badass with the icon thingie.

After completely missing day one due to hangover/sleep late/selfish reasons, I'm getting back on track.

The Cut of Your Jib
Apr 24, 2007

you don't find a style

a style finds you

Maxwell Lord posted:

A supplement for one of the RPGs had the suggestion of coming up with Star Warsy names by taking syllables and fragments of consecutive words.

So, "naming characters" gives you Ming Harac, interstellar con artist.

Common names in the US:
http://names.mongabay.com/data/1000.html

It's not very worldly, but good for placeholder names, I suppose.

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/thecutofyourjib

The Cut of Your Jib fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 3, 2016

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

NaNo is weird. Up until now, pretty much everything I've written has been fairly short-form, stuff capping out at about 4k-8k words. So I think my brain has gone mad with power and insists I should fill the first 5k words of this thing with nothing but exposition and character description. I'm taking advice of past NaNo-ers though and I'm just gonna roll with it and trust that I'll cut a lot of it later. I figure if it feels important that I write a lot of this out, I probably need the chance to sort through the characters and their history before I really get a handle on how to write them.

Also I kinda forgot to write yesterday so I'm super behind. Not gonna argue with any kind of word count that happens to spill out of me today. This is me, not including anything today:

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Went ahead and added another 1878 words to my project today which brings me up to a total of 6308. I was worried because I was stuck at work for forever today (and I can't write at work) but I still managed to get a good chunk done. My first three days have been pretty good. I really hope that keeps up this year. Last year's NaNo felt like pulling teeth even if I did get there in the end.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

CantDecideOnAName posted:

When it comes to names, I use Behind The Name and the sister site for surnames. They don't have everything, but it allows me to search super easily for names of a particular gender or place.

I've used that site for names as well. It's pretty good.

When I leave a scene for later, I try to leave on an open question, something that demands a response from one of the characters. That way when I go back to it, if it's been on the backburner long enough to forget what was supposed to happen, it's leading enough help me think up what happens next. Even if I haven't been consciously thinking about the problem, my subconscious has usually been working on it enough to come up with a resolution. In dialogue in particular, it's like giving your characters the benefit of esprit de escalier. You get to freeze time long enough for them to come up with something more interesting than "uhhh…"

Pikestaff posted:

I do this too but I put food names in the brackets so I end up with Captain [Potato] of the [Pancake Nation]

I also make liberal use of putting notes like "(horrible paragraph, fix later)" mid-sentence.

I leave a lots of editing notes as I go as well, square brackets filled with poo poo like [Insert scene I wrote earlier here] or [This is total bullshit, I've decided x is y instead]. It keeps me from slowing down because writing [this sucks, change later] curbs the temptation to go back and edit.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
5250! And now I need to make notes somewhere to go back and fix Chapter 1 at some point for continuity because I decided between chapters 1 and 2 to completely alter the order in which some events happened. Also it's terrifying how much of my text so far is [dialogue] he said, [dialogue] he said. I think I've been reading too many Japanese light novels, which tend to be incredibly dialogue heavy.

Oh well. I'll trim it up in post. For now it's full speed ahead. Almost done with Chapter 2.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I guess I'm doing this. I refuse to stress out though. I've done nano most years since 2003 and have won it I think 4-5 times. So I'm just going to see how it goes and not kill myself over it if I get stuck. I'm at 2178 right now. I did great on day 1 but yesterday I watched the Cubs instead, because come the gently caress on.

I have some excel spreadsheets for name randomization that I can share if anyone is interested. I'm a huge name nerd, so I edited and formatted the top 1000 baby names in the US from several separate decades, then put together a similar surname list, then created a formula to generate random names from it. There's a user-defined variable that weights them by popularity, too.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

1946 words today, that puts me just shy of 5900 words so far. It's a good recovery after falling short yesterday. I want to try and hit 8000 by tomorrow night.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?
I managed to churn out 3018 words today AND I'm leaving the story off on a fun scene that I'll be totally into writing tomorrow. This is the most I've written in what feels like a very long time, and while I'm sure I won't be able to get 3k on a regular basis, it's good to know that I can do it at least occasionally. Also my total count is 6661 and I thought that was kinda funny.

I'm tempted to share what I've written but I also know that if no one sees my poorly researched writing then no one can point out how badly I've hosed everything up.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I want to share too but honestly I figure everyone is too busy writing to read. Also I'd like people to read mine once it's more like a novel and less like stream-of-consciousness blurting out a story.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
6184 as of this morning! I'm taking my time this time around, not driving to the action, not sweating lovely phrases or descriptions because i know it'll get better later.

TIP: if you find yourself struggling for a description, break from the narrative to keep yourself moving
- the trail wound along the mountainside, switch backs and temporary steep climbs which made... uh... the drat path went all the way round to the other side is what I'm saying.

I wrote that this morning. I'll re-read it in January with a fresh mindset/energy to spend more time crafting a beautiful wording... uh, ... I'll say it better later is what I'm saying.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I get descriptive when I need wordcount. I figure I can cut it later, and it sets the scene up.

quote:

A flicker of movement off to her right caught Petra's eye, and she turned to see some of the street children gathering to watch them, their game abandoned. Two girls and a boy, all in that indeterminate state between childhood and puberty. They could have been anywhere from 8 to 14; as starved as they looked, puberty might be a long time coming. The two girls, one older, one younger, both had dark straight hair and coffee-brown skin, and she guessed them to be sisters. The boy was pale and blond, like the dead man, but he didn't have that foreign look to him. Maybe it was just the dirty face and hands and the hole-riddled T-shirt that made him look like a native. All three of them stared openly at the detective and his car.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
its important to describe breakfast thoroughly as it is the most important meal of the day.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Whooo boy, nine hour work days are here again :shepface: afterwards I banged out 1817 words though. Up to a total of 8125 so far. I'm happy with it. Gotta write like I'm running out of time (like I need to to survive every second I'm alive)

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Big jump for me today, got down 2409 words, and now I'm all the way to a cumulative 8307.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Started at the first, but didn't remember to look for this thread until now.

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/lucywanabe

This is my sixth year participating, though they aren't all consecutive. I've only failed to make the word count once, but after that I've kept up a winning streak, and I aim to keep that streak up. I tend to be a seat-of-the-pants writer: I'll have a general overarching plot in mind, with some plot points in scenes that I want in it, but beyond that I tend to not have any notes until I'm actually writing the thing. Most of my notes are just stuff I need to remember later, so I don't have a character contradict themselves by accident. Current word count is found with my pokemon.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Just breached 10k and gently caress, what do you do when your hand is killing you? I haven't written this much per day in so long my finger muscles are out of shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Stuporstar posted:

Just breached 10k and gently caress, what do you do when your hand is killing you? I haven't written this much per day in so long my finger muscles are out of shape.

Also glad to say I just hit 10k a few minutes ago. :hf: My poor neck, though, augh. Been sitting at this computer way too long today.

• Locked thread