Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you joining NaNoWriMo this year?
Yes
No
JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOJOOOOOOOOOOO
View Results

• Locked thread
Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
7790. That suffocating feeling of falling behind.

I'm going to need to come back fighting tomorrow and try to balance things out. I know I just need one good run to get caught up but it's still not a good feeling. Especially because I really need to finish early because the Thanksgiving and stuff is going to mess with my ability to write later in the month. Oh well, going to hunker down and pump out some words tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Hit 10,050 just now. For anyone getting cramped hands/fingers/wrist/neck, I always recommend taking a break and giving your muscles a chance to rest. My daily quota is 2k, and I know that if I sit without moving and try to type all of that out close together, I will cramp up. So about halfway through I give it a break. :)

Loud Mouse
Dec 19, 2008

MY WILL IS THE CHEESE CLUB
NOTHING IS BETTER THAN CHEESE

Getsuya posted:

7790. That suffocating feeling of falling behind.

I'm going to need to come back fighting tomorrow and try to balance things out. I know I just need one good run to get caught up but it's still not a good feeling. Especially because I really need to finish early because the Thanksgiving and stuff is going to mess with my ability to write later in the month. Oh well, going to hunker down and pump out some words tomorrow.

I am in the same boat. I just feel like crap today and am having trouble focusing on my story, or anything else for that matter.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
11280 so far

i have to be way more of an adult next week tho, so my good start will probably waste away, rip

gonna try and bust out another 3k between now and bed, might succeed, probably wont

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

LucyWanabe posted:

Hit 10,050 just now. For anyone getting cramped hands/fingers/wrist/neck, I always recommend taking a break and giving your muscles a chance to rest. My daily quota is 2k, and I know that if I sit without moving and try to type all of that out close together, I will cramp up. So about halfway through I give it a break. :)

I've been taking minimum half-hour breaks after writing for at most an hour and a half. This usually breaks my 2k into two sessions, but my hand has been cramping up worse since yesterday, so I'm now writing an hour max at a time and taking long breaks to do household poo poo.

I have a lot of non-writing stuff to do on Monday, so I should probably declare it a day off and give my hands a total rest. I've been trying to hold to 2k a day so I can take a day off when I absolutely need to.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

I got caught up in computer nightmare bullshit for two days and had some social things to attend to today, so I haven't actually written since Wednesday. Still just past 2000. I'm not sure why I bothered signing up this year when I was already in the middle of a different project. :(

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
I've hit the 10k mark as well. I might do more later tonight, but I'm probably stopping for today at 10,137. I'm just writing when I wake up, and doing a session before bed and it seems to be bearing fruit.

its no big deal
Apr 19, 2015
I got 2200 words out today banging on my phone while watching soccer. Did about the same yesterday on my phone at the coffee shop. My thumbs are getting their workout!

Up to 11,676 so far. I think I'm at a better pace then my first go last year. I've also got two days off work guaranteed the next two weeks rather than my usual one.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009

Stuporstar posted:

I've been taking minimum half-hour breaks after writing for at most an hour and a half. This usually breaks my 2k into two sessions, but my hand has been cramping up worse since yesterday, so I'm now writing an hour max at a time and taking long breaks to do household poo poo.

I have a lot of non-writing stuff to do on Monday, so I should probably declare it a day off and give my hands a total rest. I've been trying to hold to 2k a day so I can take a day off when I absolutely need to.

Ouch. I can't think of what else you can do, except that break on Monday. I'm actually feeling it a little bit more than usual, but I know that's because I haven't been writing as much lately as I ought to, so I'm out of practice. Hopefully your cramping issue resolves itself.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

LucyWanabe posted:

Ouch. I can't think of what else you can do, except that break on Monday. I'm actually feeling it a little bit more than usual, but I know that's because I haven't been writing as much lately as I ought to, so I'm out of practice. Hopefully your cramping issue resolves itself.

My former pace of 500 words a day probably means I'm just out of shape, and it seems to be only muscle pain (mainly in both pollicis brevis, the big thumb muscles) and not any tendons. I probably just need a rest day, same as if I started lifting more weight or something.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Re: cramping, I think my main problem is that I'm working nine hours a day, six days a week, so my life right now pretty much consists of work, eat, write, sleep. Fortunately I actually have today off so I can take a bit of a break and write at a more leisurely pace.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Hey guys, if any of you are using Scrivener on Windows, I made a free program that sits in the background and tracks your word count output -- i.e. how much you write per hour, not how much you've written total (although this is entirely possible to include, now that I think about it). It will then output the word counts to an offline (i.e. local only) site which will show a graph of your output, configurable by date and time period (24 hours, 1 week, 1 month, 1 year). I've just finished the first version and I'd love bug testers and feedback.

Details, including download link and installation instructions (it should only take a few minutes to set up), are here: https://tomopdam.wordpress.com/wordcount-tracker/

I was thinking of posting in the other writing threads as I think a bunch of people might like it, but I thought I'd check with you NaNoWriMoers first.

Unfortunately automating Windows Task Scheduler through .bat files is a shitfight and so I've just given instructions for setting it up manually. If this is a turn off for people, I can probably figure out a way to do it, and so all you'd need to do to set up is add your Scrivener folder paths to 'folders_to_watch.txt' and run a .bat file.

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Nov 6, 2016

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
Barely been keeping up with the quota, at 10,702 now. I'm really nervous operating without a buffer, but I managed to get through taking overtime and helping a friend out with their Extra Life stream yesterday and I don't expect to be this busy for the rest of the month. Hopefully I can do a little extra on my days off this week and get a little ahead of the game.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

2152 today for a total of 12,203. Gonna chill for the rest of the day because work is going to be nuts this week and I actually want some time off where I'm not either working or writing.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I am super behind and probably not as worried about that as I should be. I'm hoping I'll hit 10,000 today but I'm currently at... 6829, so we'll see if that actually happens.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Are training montage scenes a thing people write in novels? Because next chapter I'm going to write a training montage in a novel.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
I've never seen it before, but hey, I have no idea what your story is about and I'm intrigued by it. I say give it a shot.

Mine's up to 12068 now. I've got a pretty good head of steam going, but I know that's because I've hit a section where there's a lot of the stuff I really want to write and had already planned on. It's a bit of a pickle for me--I find it hard to write the in-between scenes because of how much I want to get to the ones I really want to write. Anybody else have that problem?

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

LucyWanabe posted:

I've never seen it before, but hey, I have no idea what your story is about and I'm intrigued by it. I say give it a shot.

Mine's up to 12068 now. I've got a pretty good head of steam going, but I know that's because I've hit a section where there's a lot of the stuff I really want to write and had already planned on. It's a bit of a pickle for me--I find it hard to write the in-between scenes because of how much I want to get to the ones I really want to write. Anybody else have that problem?

I just sum up the stuff I want to skip over and move on. It's a first draft. It doesn't matter if all the pieces are in place yet. By the time you get back to them, you may look at what you summed up earlier and decide to cut it, in which case you didn't waste a lot of words. Or you might come back to it with a fresh take on the scene that makes it interesting. Either way you don't waste time and kill your momentum writing stuff you're not into.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

A little shy of 2000 words today, to get me over the 12k mark. I may write more tonight, but I'm content to keep a 2k a day pace so I can ponder out where I'm going with what I'm writing. Especially since today was a very sporadic 300 words here, 300 words there sort of affair.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Phew. Did a little catching up and got over 10k. My average is back up over 1667 so I'm at least on par for now. Hopefully I can widen the gap a little during the week so I don't have to try cramming at the end of the month. With Thanksgiving and everything I would really want to be done with this before that happens.

I'm hitting my stride, though. Now that I'm actually past all the set-up and into the meat of the story things seem to be flowing out much easier. Tomorrow I'm going to be writing the training montage scene so we'll see how that goes.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Hey, you never know if that montage scene will work or not unless you try. More than once I've been compelled to write something that all my instincts told me was a baaad idea. Knowing it's a bad idea somehow gives me insane energy as my inner rebel kicks in, so I write faster and (I think) better than I ever have before. Then I show it to someone, and they tell me what a bad idea it was. And then I learn something. So, still worth it. Almost all those bad ideas had something salvageable in the wreckage, so I've never felt I've wasted my time doing the wrong thing, at least when it comes to writing.

As for worrying about losing focus on your "current" scene because a later one wants your attention more, try having the wrong novel pulling on your attention. I've only written 600 words on the NaNo project today, got stuck, and my attempt to just write anything to get my butt back in the seat ended with me doing 500 words on a completely different novel. They're all part of the same series, but I'm not willing to let those words count because they don't belong anywhere in the novel I'm supposed to be writing right now.

Edit: I managed to do 1250 on the novel today, hit one of those perfect hot spots that will keep it warm enough for a while, and my hands are killing me, so I guess I'm done for the night.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Nov 7, 2016

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
Worrying about whether something is a bad idea is for December. Maybe in the process of writing out your montage you type out a great bit of character building or a neat setpiece which never would have happened otherwise. Cut off your ideas at the source and you'll never see what they might have led to. So don't worry about whether it's stupid or wrong, just write.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

TheArchimage posted:

Worrying about whether something is a bad idea is for December. Maybe in the process of writing out your montage you type out a great bit of character building or a neat setpiece which never would have happened otherwise. Cut off your ideas at the source and you'll never see what they might have led to. So don't worry about whether it's stupid or wrong, just write.

:agreed: you can look at everything later once NaNo is over and see if you can salvage anything from the crap parts. A lot of times things sound really stupid or weird to me as I'm writing but then on re-read I realize it actually wasn't terrible and can be used.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Whoops, forgot that this was one of my old Nano haunts;

14,454 and I'm still in act one. Geez.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

2022 words today bringing me up to 14,225. Real happy about how smoothly my story is flowing this time compared to last year, which is probably why I'm above par.

...hopefully I didn't just jinx it :(

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Wrote my training montage! I really like how it turned out. When I go back and edit the book I'll need to touch it up and make it progress a little more smoothly, but I think it's a good way to really quickly show the progression of the training getting harder and harder and the teacher's patience growing thinner and thinner until he snaps and he and the student have their falling out. It was a very emotional chapter, and I ended up just pumping the whole thing out in one go.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Awesome, Getsuya! I'm glad it turned out well.

I made it to 14082 today, but barely. Thanks to a late start and me being sick, it took me a lot longer to hit my daily quota than it has so far. I was almost afraid I'd have to take one of those days off that I'd built up the extra for, but somehow I hit the mark.

As for the scenes I'm not so enthusiastic about, it's actually been a while since I've run into any, and I'm starting to wonder if it's because I always feel like I'm bad at starting a story. Once the action's gotten off the ground, generally, I'm able to build up a lot of momentum and keep it going. It seems to be that just my starts are rocky.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Made it to 14,320 tonight. Really happy to be keeping pace this year, the last time I attempted this was just a few big writing days and very small increments otherwise. I'm about to write a chapter where my characters hunt down a monster... it should be a lot of fun to write, and hopefully fun for anyone reading it as well. I do hate that I accidentally named it after a type of fish, but these things happen and I'm just gonna roll with it.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
1609. Holy crap I was on fire this afternoon. It's like after the slow start and late end yesterday, I got today to make up for it. I think this is the earliest I've met my quota ever.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Well, I got briefly distracted by election frenzy but I managed to kick out 1725 words over the course of the last two hours. This brings me to a total of 15,950. I'm glad to be over par by a day or two because it gives me leeway if something nuts happens.

Ser Pounce
Feb 9, 2010

In this world the weak are always victims of the strong
I've managed to motivate myself into actually starting to write this year, http://nanowrimo.org/participants/gorgonopsid around 16.5k as of end of play today.
And I'm feeling fairly happy with whats coming out so far, no doubt it's utter shite, but at least I'm bashing out the right sort of daily numbers to give me a chance of getting the 50k done by month's end.
I'm taking spirit seeing other goon efforts also in the right ballpark.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?
Yesterday and today have been working against me. Yesterday I barely scraped out par and today I have about 500 words written (so far, but I doubt I'm going to get much more than that). I blame the election tension in the air for making it hard to concentrate.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

After taking that necessary total break, I managed to push back up to a comfortable margin with ~2770 words, to reach 14000. I'm mostly impressed I managed to do that in 2 1/2 hours (in three separate sittings). I'm not going to push further tonight though, because I have to save some fuel (and my hands) to do the same tomorrow.

At that speed, the draft I'm writing is a total mess. I'm going to have to cut so much by the time I get around to redrafting it. My mind, and by extension my character's, wanders all over the place. I start a scene, meander into a 1000 words of backstory/flashback and another 500 words of exposition, until I figure out how to write the damned scene and swing back to what I was supposed to be writing. My first drafts are completely unreadable poo poo. It's a good thing I've learned to live with that.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Stupid election anxiety made it hard to write today. I put out an alright 1372 words today, and I'm still ahead of the pace at 15,692 words, but ugh I just don't feel good at all anymore. Maybe I can wipe my mind clean and put out some good words tomorrow.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Logicblade posted:

Stupid election anxiety made it hard to write today. I put out an alright 1372 words today, and I'm still ahead of the pace at 15,692 words, but ugh I just don't feel good at all anymore. Maybe I can wipe my mind clean and put out some good words tomorrow.

I had a lovely day on Sunday for personal reasons. I got around it by channeling my bad mood into the writing. Give your protagonist a really loving bad day. It's cathartic and will probably help your story as well.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Stuporstar posted:

I had a lovely day on Sunday for personal reasons. I got around it by channeling my bad mood into the writing. Give your protagonist a really loving bad day. It's cathartic and will probably help your story as well.

I'm uh, starting to think it's time to jump to the "all hope is lost" scene in my book.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Pikestaff posted:

I'm uh, starting to think it's time to jump to the "all hope is lost" scene in my book.

I'm starting to think we need more sadly realistic dystopias like Octavia Butler's Parable of the Sower right now.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Wrote some angst, got drunk, wrote some non-angst. Let it all out. It was vaguely cathartic but also really difficult to concentrate for obvious reasons. (Obvious reasons include being drunk and also watching the world end.)

Anyways, 1738 today brings me to a total of 17,688.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?
I managed to drag 1037 out of me for a total of 15552. I'm not happy with it and I really want to try and churn out a bunch tomorrow--especially as I have caffeine pills to help me start thinking earlier in the day. I really don't like not having a good buffer, even if I'm still technically above par.

God, of course the one year I decide to try Nano and it's a loving election year and the worst one ever to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ser Pounce
Feb 9, 2010

In this world the weak are always victims of the strong
Turn to Whisky, I've found that I've learned enough about the stuff to have one of my characters become a fairly accurate Whisky bore, and take up quite a few words as a result. Just touching 18k right now.

Laphroig, Glenmorangie and Ardbeg has been the fuel powering my novel so far.

• Locked thread