Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you joining NaNoWriMo this year?
Yes
No
JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOJOOOOOOOOOOO
View Results

• Locked thread
Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Late update for me, since I wrote deep into the night. 3044 words today, but it'll be split up into yesterday's and today's word count. I'm at 18736, and back on the 2000 words a day express. Really happy about this bounce back... since it's one of the few things I can be happy about right now. drat it America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I finally broke 10K after missing two or three days of writing, I'll catch up over the weekend, hoping to do some marathon writing sessions.

I gotta say, I'm really enjoying the part where I've thrown my initial timeline out the window and I'm just writing stuff as it unfolds. There's no rush to get finished, at least not within 50K words which is how I've approached it in the past.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Just broke 20k.

It's probably super unhealthy to throw myself into work like this but at this point with everything going to poo poo I'm ether going to go Episode 11 Simon or go home episode 9 Simon.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Mmmf, I've been dying the last few days between being in a lull in my novel and being in a funk due to election results.

Finally managed to pull 1785 words out of my rear end. Brings me up to 19,473. Excited to break 20k tomorrow!

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

It has been a very bad month so far but I managed to write for the first time in days and got up to 4500.

Remember me when you cross the finish line in 3 weeks. I'm sure I'll have caught up by next year. :shepface:

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
I did over 2600 words today to catch up and get myself over 18K, and now my wrists are killing me, even though I did it in four separate hour-long chunks. I'd wish for a brain control interface right about now, but it would probably end with smoke pouring out of my ears (dictation software is not an option—I've tried, and it's never worked for me).

Stopping in the middle of a scene, still frothing with ideas, is the best way to leave off anyway—as I keep having to remind myself. Pacing.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
18,515. Like everyone else, I fell behind thanks to post-election, and today I wrote a little bit more than my usual quota in an effort to catch up. Gotta keep up the extra for a few days until I'm fully caught up, but spacing it out so I don't torque my wrists.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

I've broken the 20k barrier. 20,481... and most of those were sappy romance building words. Yuck but also yay!

revolther
May 27, 2008
I hadn't participated in one of these things, and thought this thread was going to be a way to read other goons writing. That's a let down. Hope you all finish.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

revolther posted:

I hadn't participated in one of these things, and thought this thread was going to be a way to read other goons writing. That's a let down. Hope you all finish.

Pretty much everyone participating is writing so fast we're creating a lot of unreadable garbage that isn't ready to see the light of day, so this thread is more about communal motivation. If you want to be entertained by the garbage less self-aware NaNo participants are sharing, I recommend mining the official NaNo forums, particularly threads like "share your best line." They are truly something awful.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Things went a little more smoothly today. I wrote 2031 bringing me up to 21,504. I can feel that halfway point getting closer and closer :toot:

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

revolther posted:

If you're interested in reading short fiction pieces written by goons, may I also suggest the Thunderdome? Spectating that might be more up your alley.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Finally broke 20k, and only now am I coming upon the inciting incident. I'm just now figuring out how much I hosed up my starting outline—a good thing, not bad, because I've also figured out how to fix it by rearranging all the scenes. I might only have to cut half of what I've written in the next draft (and rewrite the rest).

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

It's been a rough sort of days for a million reasons, (I live in the US) so I hit two very low days. We're talking sub 1k days. We're talking "I did 100 words just to say I wrote that day" bad.

That being said, I'm at 28k and will probably break 30 by tomorrow. Cause god drat it all, I'm not about to let a loving cheeto cause me to lose what will be a 12th straight Nano win.

Ser Pounce
Feb 9, 2010

In this world the weak are always victims of the strong
I'm also over the 20k mark now, and hoping to cram in a few K today and tomorrow following Nethilia's example, 28k by now is awesome, as next week I have a work trip to Ireland, and with the best will in the world I'll not be able to maintain ~1.6k a day throughout that.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
We've had a lot of demoralizing hits over the past couple of days but I want to thank everyone for keeping at NaNo anyway. Writing is hard but we're still in it together, no matter what. I'm proud of y'all.

Anais Nun
Apr 21, 2010
Finally caught up after twenty-four hours of being able to do very little but :stare: into the abyss of international news. Election year Nanowrimo is always tough, but Jesus - never expected to see anything quite as batshit as this rowdy orange mess.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Nethilia posted:

It's been a rough sort of days for a million reasons, (I live in the US) so I hit two very low days. We're talking sub 1k days. We're talking "I did 100 words just to say I wrote that day" bad.

That being said, I'm at 28k and will probably break 30 by tomorrow. Cause god drat it all, I'm not about to let a loving cheeto cause me to lose what will be a 12th straight Nano win.

:smith: :hf: :smith: It's been rough for a lot of us, I guess we just have to hang in there though.

I'm about to enter Retail Hell Zone myself, a lot of overnight shifts, split shifts, that kind of thing in time for Thanksgiving/Black Friday so I'm trying to stay a couple days ahead of par. I wrote 1708 today for 23,212. I would write a little more because I like to end the days closer to 2000 but I just closed out a chapter and I don't feel like starting a new one today, so we'll just save that up for tomorrow.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I've hit a point where I've kind of run out of any idea of plot. Not that I went in with much, I kind of had a vague idea of what the book was going to be about, but now I have no idea where things "should" go. So I guess this is where I start making GBS threads out words until I'm struck with something resembling a halfway-good idea? Ugh.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

MockingQuantum posted:

I've hit a point where I've kind of run out of any idea of plot. Not that I went in with much, I kind of had a vague idea of what the book was going to be about, but now I have no idea where things "should" go. So I guess this is where I start making GBS threads out words until I'm struck with something resembling a halfway-good idea? Ugh.

I started by doing that, letting my main character ramble until I stumble on something worthwhile. But I've passed the point where that's helping, so I've been trying a couple other options. First I redrafted my outline, because a lot has changed—I wrote about 1500 words on that today, but I don't feel like they count. And I'm still not excited about the next plot point, so I'm going with the next option, which is to pick any scene I catch myself writing in my head regardless of where it comes in the story. I'm going to end up chopping up this draft and reordering all the scenes anyway.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Thanks to recent poor performance, I resolved to get my rear end in gear and catch the gently caress up, so I mashed my hand down on the button for Ludicrous Speed and banged out 4469 words today, bringing me up to 23,508. Almost completely caught up to where I want to be now.

MockingQuantum, I had that problem a few NaNos ago and about halfway through ran out of plot. So I wrote an entirely separate sequel plot to round out the word count, and wound up never finishing that off (mostly because I instantly realized it was terrible). I try not to spin my wheels so to speak, but sometimes it's hard to when you can't figure out what should happen next. If nothing else, you could always try a brainstorming session. Maybe see what inspires you? Sometimes that helps when I see my plot wrapping up way too early.

Edit: Oh, hey, my pokemon evolved!

Rosemont fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 13, 2016

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?
I solved my plot worries by going with the Monster of the Week formula. My first chapter had a hostile ghost and the introduction of a vampire; my second chapter is dealing with a killer using magic to be unseen and some philosophical human/monster duality poo poo. I think my third chapter will have a secret society hunting down my undead protagonists. I brainstormed a ton of different ideas I might like to play with (isolated village being menaced by a monster, encounter with a demon horse, rituals at crossroads, etc.) before I got writing and things are evolving from there. Sure, it's cheap, but gently caress it. I'm having a lot of fun on Wikipedia looking up European folklore so I don't really care.

After some lackluster performance the past few days and just barely managing to stay above par I'm really trying to get out a bunch of words tonight. Passed 20k and hoping to hit 22k overall before I stop for the night.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

I've found my way up to 24k, so I think that's a good place to stop for the night. I'm finally getting to the point where I want to actually introduce my antagonist and the central plot I wanted to go for. I'm feeling pretty good about hitting 50k this year.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Happy to report a total of 1,888 today bringing me to 25,100 which is just over the halfway mark. That also puts me two days above par, so I'm happy about that too.

I'm a bit concerned because I'm not 100% sure what's going to happen next in my plot, this is one of those points in the outline where I was hoping to have an idea for some filler by now and I have no ideas. So I guess I'll just have to keep writing and see what happens :shrug:

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

I did just over 3k today to get me to 25172. I hit a point in the story that is on fire—but so are my wrists so I have to quit while I'm still hot, and dammit it's painful.

Because I haven't figured out how to write the "next" part of the story yet (I have it outlined, I just can't get a lock on a new character yet), I jumped ahead to another bit that's ready to be written. This seems to be the best strategy so far, because it gives me a whole nother well to draw from, and it's running over.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Hit 26,034, which means that I'm all caught up. Super happy and now I can go back to my regular writing schedule.

I've also hit the point where the antagonist needs to actually appear instead of just be talked about by the main characters, so it's time for him to make his grand entrance next time.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?
3238 today for a tidy total of 25454. I am loving this whole staying ahead of the curve thing but I'm gonna have to kick my plotting up a notch if I want to keep up the momentum. I love writing about people being bastards and killing each other but after two days of it I'm kinda running out of steam.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Going into the weekend, I was way behind at 10K. This morning, I'm up to almost 18K. It's not caught up but I'm getting there.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Just off 27k.

Only now into the second act and oh boy did I not think I'd only get half way though act one when I had this whole "Serialise my work pour gritis during Nano for patreon and wattpad" plan in my head.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

1840 today to bring me up to 26,940. According to the site I could slow down my pace to 1357 words a day and still finish on time but nah, I've been at a fairly driving pace all NaNo and I want to keep it up.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Reached 28,019. I think this is the most confident I've ever felt about the story I'm writing. Except for the shaky start at the beginning, I haven't run out of any plot. This never happens. I'm actually really surprised right now, as the halfway point is what I call "The Wall", as in NaNos past halfway is usually where I start having trouble keeping it going, either because I ran out of plot or I ran out of momentum. It's still going strong this time. :stare:

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Congrats Lucy, hope that positive momentum carries you through.

I also have quite a bit of plot to the point where I kind of want a breather chapter to settle things down a bit before I head right into the heart of it. I'm at 29,550 right now, and after my second writing session later tonight I should be well over 30k.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

1748 today. I definitely felt like I was pulling teeth.

I'm currently on day #9 of work in a row or some poo poo like that and I don't get a day off until this Friday. I've been filling up all my precious free time with writing and I'm running out of steam quick. :negative: God I need a break.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

I can't believe this is happening and I can't believe I'm doing this but I suddenly had a story idea today I wanted to write far more than my current project. I'm starting over with this new idea and resetting my word count to 0.

It's not a huge loss because I only wrote like 5 days this month and have a current word count of 4505. Here's to a second wind!

Now if only I'd had this idea 15 days ago. :shepicide:

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
^That happened to me during one of my NaNos. If the creativity and inspiration for the other one isn't there, it just isn't, and forcing it could likely make things worse. I felt a hell of a lot better and wrote a lot more and faster when I switched to the other story. I say give it a shot! If you've got a lot of enthusiasm for the new one, that could have you writing more and faster and churning out words like crazy. I'll be cheering for ya!

Logicblade: Thanks! And me, too. It's got me really encouraged, it's awesome.

Me, I got to 30,019. Somehow, I managed to write 2k exactly. Weird.

Question: how do you figure out where to put chapter breaks? I've written so many of these and I'm still not sure where to do that. Some points are really obvious, like if it leaves on a dramatic cliffhanger, but some sections just don't warrant that and I can't ever figure out where a chapter break would go. Got any advice?

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

LucyWanabe posted:

Question: how do you figure out where to put chapter breaks? I've written so many of these and I'm still not sure where to do that. Some points are really obvious, like if it leaves on a dramatic cliffhanger, but some sections just don't warrant that and I can't ever figure out where a chapter break would go. Got any advice?

If there's no cliffhanger and a chapter is getting unwieldy I'll usually just stick one in during a scene change.

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Permanently banned from the Alamo
Hey guys, I totally missed the deadline for this whole NaNoWriMo thing. I started writing a completely unrelated short story a few days into the month, and it turned into a not-so-short story. Now I'm edging up on 20k words. Is there any way for me to participate in any meaningful way, or has that ship sailed at this point?

UWBW fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 16, 2016

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

UWBW posted:

Hey guys, I totally missed the deadline for this whole NaNoWriMo thing. I started writing a completely unrelated short story a few days into the month, and it turned into a not-so-short story. Now I'm edging up on 20k words. Is there any way for me to participate in any meaningful way, or has that ship sailed at this point?

As far as I know you can sign up and start participating whenever you want in November.

Welcome to the club :thumbsup:

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Permanently banned from the Alamo

Pikestaff posted:

As far as I know you can sign up and start participating whenever you want in November.

Welcome to the club :thumbsup:

Oh, cool! Just a nagging question, though. Never done anything like this before. When I finish this thing, whether or not I get 50k words out of it... What do I, y'know, do with it? Do we all link each other to our stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

UWBW posted:

Oh, cool! Just a nagging question, though. Never done anything like this before. When I finish this thing, whether or not I get 50k words out of it... What do I, y'know, do with it? Do we all link each other to our stuff?

You can if you want but mostly this thread is just for group motiviation. Once you're done with your project you can toss it into the closet, never to again see the light of day, or you can edit it and try to spruce it up and do something bigger with it. NaNo is more about the journey than the destination, although if you actually meet wordcount you'll get some goodies from the website (like coupons for various writing software and stuff like that.)

• Locked thread