Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you joining NaNoWriMo this year?
Yes
No
JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOJOOOOOOOOOOO
View Results

• Locked thread
UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Permanently banned from the Alamo

Pikestaff posted:

motiviation

You don't understand, man.

I've gotta know what happens next :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
Joining the 30k club today. I'm back to dicking around to build momentum on the part I stalled on a few days ago. I'm hoping it's a small bit of uphill terrain before a nice downhill roll as I hit the next major plot point.

UWBW posted:

Oh, cool! Just a nagging question, though. Never done anything like this before. When I finish this thing, whether or not I get 50k words out of it... What do I, y'know, do with it? Do we all link each other to our stuff?

My draft is already such a mess I wouldn't inflict it on anyone. Once it's done I'm going to let it sit for a year while I work on the novels I shat out a year ago. If you don't have prior work to redraft/edit, I'd suggest jumping onto another first draft while this one chills for a bit.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?
I went to see a movie yesterday and so only slapped on 11 words just so I could update that day. I'm really glad I had a buffer because it means I could get away with being cheap like that, but it does mean that now I have to write a bunch more to get it back. Slowly dragging myself up to 29k.

I don't mind sharing what I write as I write it, but that's more because I enjoy telling stories in general and don't care as much about sharing perfectly finished stories. I know that's not the norm though so I don't really plan on sharing it online, only with people who know I'm writing and want to see it afterwards.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009

Pikestaff posted:

If there's no cliffhanger and a chapter is getting unwieldy I'll usually just stick one in during a scene change.

I've been (mostly) sticking to this when I can't think of anywhere else to stick a chapter break, though just for some cheap "dun-DUH-DUHHHH" I ended a chapter on a question and started the next with the answer. :v:

Up to 32,008 today. Now that the antagonist's appeared and ramped up the difficulty, the characters are trying to figure out how the hell they're getting out of this without letting their morale hit rock bottom after that defeat.

They're gonna hate me in a couple of scenes. :unsmigghh:

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

CantDecideOnAName posted:

II don't mind sharing what I write as I write it, but that's more because I enjoy telling stories in general and don't care as much about sharing perfectly finished stories. I know that's not the norm though so I don't really plan on sharing it online, only with people who know I'm writing and want to see it afterwards.

For my first couple of NaNos (because I've been doing this forever) I actually went on and spent months editing and polishing and then slapped them on Amazon just to say I did it. I pull in like twenty cents a month from them and some of my friends liked them :sun: These days I can't be bothered, though, because editing is such a pain in the rear end. I mostly just do NaNo because I like messing with the stories in my head and because I'll be damned if I break my winning streak :colbert:

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

Was this life,
was this all?

Pikestaff posted:

For my first couple of NaNos (because I've been doing this forever) I actually went on and spent months editing and polishing and then slapped them on Amazon just to say I did it. I pull in like twenty cents a month from them and some of my friends liked them :sun: These days I can't be bothered, though, because editing is such a pain in the rear end. I mostly just do NaNo because I like messing with the stories in my head and because I'll be damned if I break my winning streak :colbert:

I do want to get published someday, but by god I'm gonna get published with something I put effort into, not some half-assed thing I pounded out because I wanted to mess with genre conventions. I've got something I finished years ago that I keep putting off editing because I just can't get the motivation to do so. Editing sucks and I wanna tell new stories, not hash over something old.

Also I thought I had more words than I did. Turns out the next major milestone for me is 28k, not 29k. Dammit.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

I have one person willing to read my roughest drafts, but I clean them up even for her because if I give her one like this, packed with exposition and notes and other filler, she sits on it for months, and I don't blame her one bit. I'm only showing stuff that early for encouragement, and get a faster, enthusiastic response if I give her a solid chapter or scene that's been shaved of kruft.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Managed to bust out 2031 today. Feels good to have a 2000+ day again. I've been going easy on myself because work is such a mess right now and I haven't had a day off in forever.

Anyways I've breached the 30k mark and I'm at 30,719. Feeling pretty good. I have a decent idea for my scene tomorrow so I'm hoping it'll be another fairly smooth day.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

Was this life,
was this all?
I did it! I managed to get 3342 today for a total of 30172! I swear, every time I think I've probably written the most I'll get in a day I manage to top myself a little bit. Feels good. Also feels good to get that buffer bumped back up.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Managed to bust out 1.4 k today for a clean total of 32k inspite of having some of the worst sitting pains I've ever experienced.

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

Broke 40k yesterday.

It was a couple days ago that I hit below the 1k a day to win threshold. That's always a good motive, seeing that I can essentially piss around for the rest of the month.

Then again, today I said I was going to only write enough to say I did and pounded out 2k.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
I'm still going strong, although I had a bit of a hiccup yesterday where I got to a point where words stopped sounding like words and anything I was writing was incomprehensible, even for me. Up to 33242, and I still have myself scheduled for another writing session tonight. Should still be able to keep to that 2000 words a day pace.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I TOTALLY FINISHED WRITING
23,000 words so far

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

I got just about 3000 words out last night! Thanks, gay coffee shop that I visited for two hours!

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Hit 34,036 today. I'm pretty sure one of my protagonists doesn't appreciate her current situation getting worse the more I go on. :v:

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Only managed to squeak out 1681 today. I'm still a couple days ahead of par so I'm okay with it but I'm hoping to get roughly 2000 tomorrow.

Up to a total of 32,400!

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

So this is my first NaNo, and by far the largest writing project I've attempted and actually stuck with. Getting a routine going has worked wonders for my motivation and confidence.

Anyway, I'm at ~34K words and steadily adding more every night. I've been using the "Reverse NaNo" calendar, and have kept to it with a few exceptions due to unexpected things popping up.

I'm not super happy with what I'm getting down, but I'm still excited to have actually gotten it down.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
At 36,006 now, thanks to a creepy doll.

Ser Pounce
Feb 9, 2010

In this world the weak are always victims of the strong
I've fallen behind due to my work trip, but just under 28k bashed out now, respectable enough and should be able to catch up, I've got 4 well outlined scenes to write over the weekend, which if I'm lucky will put me back in contention.

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Thanks to an overzealous army sergeant I'm now over 25k words. Halfway there, but a long way to go.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Successfully managed to put off the lure of Pokemon Sun (mostly) to write 2,083 words today which brings me up to 34,483. :toot: It feels good to be slowly inching up on 40k.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

I did 4k today to bring me to just over 36k so far. I pushed past the aching thumbs, and may have to take a total break tomorrow depending on how sore I end up, but it was worth it if I build up enough writing muscle to not sweat 2k a day at all.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

I'm at 35,300 at the end of today. A little behind the 2k a day pace, but still well on my way, considering I barely did anything on Thursday.

its no big deal
Apr 19, 2015

Pikestaff posted:

Successfully managed to put off the lure of Pokemon Sun (mostly) to write 2,083 words today which brings me up to 34,483. :toot: It feels good to be slowly inching up on 40k.

I killed my afternoon playing Pokemon Moon yesterday. It meant I had to bust out some words after I got home from work at 11pm.

My best friend just got in town, too. I guess this is why we have buffers!

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

1788 today. Could be better, could be worse. My work schedule goes haywire starting tomorrow because of Black Friday week so I guess we'll see how things go. I'm up to 36,271 and on track to finish by the 27th so hopefully that sticks.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
38,033. TIME FOR BACKSTORY.

Didn't quite expect to find myself doing a chapter focused on this character, but here we are.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I hit a loving brick wall today at 26K. Dammit. Suddenly went, "this is bullshit."

Not good.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

Was this life,
was this all?
Back on the horse with 2606 for today! Total of little more than 34k. I could probably keep going but I have a cold and really should be getting to bed before midnight.

Man, talk about an uphill battle. I can't seem to keep a consistent buffer; I crank out a bunch of words and then less and less until I'm suddenly only just above par for the day, and then I sit down and crank out a bunch more. I have no idea why my attention is wavering so much at this point.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
Got nearly 4,000 words in today, so I'm up to 29,480. Now I'm only two days behind! I have a short work schedule this week due to having Thanksgiving and Black Friday off, so hopefully I can catch up completely by then.

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

(My Writeometer app)

Take that, severe depression triggered by the seasons and US news! I still won Nano 16, and this makes 12 years running!

Now I can feel accomplished about at least one thing this month before drinking myself sick!

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Nice, grats on being the first person in this thread to make it :toot: this is going to be win number eight for me and boy I wish I was done, my motivation is definitely sinking.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Awesome, congrats, Nethilia!

As for me, I'm up to 40,039. Side character declares that no, she won't join the plot, thanks.

That's what she thinks.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Nethilia posted:

Take that, severe depression triggered by the seasons and US news! I still won Nano 16, and this makes 12 years running!

Now I can feel accomplished about at least one thing this month before drinking myself sick!

Nice! Did you manage to wrap your story up or are you going to keep writing?

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

Stuporstar posted:

Nice! Did you manage to wrap your story up or are you going to keep writing?

Entire chunks of the middle are missing--we're talking chapters that consist of two-paragraph descriptions. So I'm going to keep writing, and at the end of the month I'll sit down with one of my notebooks and make a plot timeline/character description/databook and then start the proper rewrite.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Congrats on breaking nano over your knee. I've definitely started to hit the wall, with two straight 1000 word days. I still have enough of a lead to make the 50k if I can just keep at it, but this last stretch is definitely the hardest. 39676 at the moment.

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Work changed up my schedule, and now I don't have the half-hour breaks I used to have. No time to write. May need to throw in the towel :(

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Nethilia posted:

(My Writeometer app)

DAAAAAAAMN!

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Yesterday was my first really poor day. Thanks to work being nuts I only managed to get in about 900 words. Today I did 2000 and I do have a buffer so that kind of made up for it, but still, it's a tiny bit disappointing to still be sub-40k. That should change tomorrow, hopefully.

Sitting at 39,177 currently!

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
42,513. Writing a little bit extra the next few days since I know I won't get much done on Thanksgiving, so I'm building up more with that in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Trying my best, but still only at 28k. I think my schedule is a killer.

• Locked thread