Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Signing up for Army Group Center and voting B: Moscow or Bust! Would also like to have some unit commander within AGC with the Drone name, just so I get cool on-map stuff. :3:

Actually, could you post the OOB for each of the Army Groups, so we can select units ourselves?

Drone fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Oct 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Sign me up for AGN and B. MOSCOW OR BUST

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Sign me up for AGS and gently caress Hitler, Clausewitz was right. We'll pave the road to Kiev with Italian bodies.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Drone posted:

Actually, could you post the OOB for each of the Army Groups, so we can select units ourselves?

The armies are in the first post, there's no corps level breakdown so after them its just divisional level.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
From the office of FM von Bock to commanders of AGC

Gentlemen,

it seems the imbeciles of AGN and AGS are already subverting the war effort by insisting they be allowed to conduct the war as they see fit.

While that is in theory fine, in practice it will greatly anger the OKH and the Führer. Their support is essential if we want to have the strength to destroy the bolshevist menace and resist interference by the others.

I do not have to remind you the other groups are envious of AGC's strength and focus. They will certainly try to deprive us of the necessary resources to take Moscow before winter.

Worse, the inevitable squabbling will lead to an incoherent strategy throwing the whole war away.

I urge everyone to try and change the minds of their friends in the other groups while preparing for the worst in our own approach.

Signed,
FM. von Bock

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Saros, you really have one of the best LPs around so I will be following this one closely. Thanks for doing it.

Oh and guys? Going independent is the most boring choice. I want to see this game in its proper beauty, with fickle Hitler throwing wrenches in our plans and everything. Why even LP it without having to deal with Hitler?

I'm voting for unconditional support and everybody should too

Engblad
Sep 13, 2012
I'll sign up for CoS for AGS

E: Going with Military Independence C

Engblad fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Oct 12, 2016

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Guys unless you put yourself down on the spreadsheet you aren't doing poo poo.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19Bj2AqRCRQ4Ern9lSHWSkz1eknd4fGiJzI9TWRGwtjY/edit#gid=923278198

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
Joining up AGN, and casting my vote as C.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I was thinking, maybe Saros should make a discord for the game.

Every army group can have their own chat for planning and discussion. By assigning roles you can make sure only the people who are supposed to can take a look.

Orders, etc would still be posted in the thread of course.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
As a clear expert at this game, ill be happy to advise. (Good poo poo, I'll be following closely).

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Hmm I dont really know anything about discord but I was considering a Roll20, it would let people doodle orders etc on a map but i'm not familar with managing and setting one up.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Riso posted:

From the office of FM von Bock to commanders of AGC

Gentlemen,
[...]

I do not have to remind you the other groups are envious of AGC's strength and focus. They will certainly try to deprive us of the necessary resources to take Moscow before winter.

[...]
Signed,
FM. von Bock

From the Field HQ of Generalleutnant Drone to commanders of Army Group Center

Esteemed Sirs,

It is precisely for the highlighted reason that we must place our priority, first and foremost, on capturing Moscow as efficiently as possible and with great expedience. The Wehrmacht, led by its general staff, is an oiled and efficient machine, and with a coherent Moscow-first strategy, this goal could be easily realized. With respect where it is due, kowtowing to our political leaders in Berlin, whose whims have been known to change by the hour, will only distract us from our ultimate goal. The key to defeating the Russian is to chop off his head -- and that head is Moscow.

Yours,
Generalleutnant Drone

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Riso posted:

Guess what side most are playing.

The mechanics for the Soviets in this game are a lot simpler and not as well-developed as this, though they are pretty entertaining. It's a lot more random- you don't have to manage relationships, you just manage threat vs efficiency and threat is what makes Stalin go into shitfits where you lose all your PP. Most of the impact of the system is that a bunch of their units will get partial/no activations and will have a very nerfed level of APs until you can shuffle around officers and it will still happen even with good officers.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Saros posted:

Hmm I dont really know anything about discord but I was considering a Roll20, it would let people doodle orders etc on a map but i'm not familar with managing and setting one up.

As someone who also doesn't know anything about Roll20 it appears to be Somewhat Good based on the CM LPs.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Saros posted:

I looked at how easy Discord is to setup for what I suggested and then I just went ahead and did it.
Once you join I can transfer ownership so I can't read all channels. All you have to do is add roles to people so they can only read #general and their own army group channel.

https://discord.gg/EbfQR

If nobody wants to use it that's fine too I'll just remove the whole server.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

While we are waiting for the game to start i'm going to run through some basics needed to properly understand the game and what you are seeing.

Basic game mechanics

I quite like DC:B because it tries to do away with unneeded complexity, something many Grognard games lavish on with no regard for whether it actually makes a good game or not. Units are pretty standardised but it still tries to be realistic with regards to historical capabilities.

First up is telling the four types of unit apart. The game uses NATO symbology which is confusing at first but pretty simple to grasp. The two small xx above the box indicate the formation size, in this case a division like all the units we use. The backround grey indicates nationality, in most cases case a german army (Wehrmacht) unit and the colored stripe on the left indicates army affiliation.

The box with a X through it is infantry, most of our units are this. Standard unit, moves slowly but packs an incredible offensive and defensive punch.

Mechanised/Motorised infantry. You basic fastmover infantry using halftracks and trucks. Less powerful on the offense than a Panzer unit but more resilient and uses a lot less fuel.

Black means SS units. Elite units, usually motorised infantry with extra heavy equipment and men. The most powerful units in the game so best used wisely.

The box with a single / is cavalry. Less powerful than infantry but faster moving. Best used to assist with flanking.

Finally Panzer divisions. They are fast moving at a high fuel cost and carry a significant offensive punch. Heavily penalised when fighing in rough terrain, cities or forests and very vulnerable to counter-attacks by superior numbers. Use wisely, you get about 20 tanks/turn replacments and thats not even enough to cover even simple attrition.

Unit Basics

Here we have the Soviet 33rd Rifle division subordinate to the 11th army. Units have a number of stats associated them that effect how they perform and what actions they can take.

First the yellow box on the left:

Action Points. This is used for actions (moving, attacking).

Supply consumption. Out of 100 with 100 being that in the last turn it received and consumed 100% of the supply needed to maintain normal operations.

Cohesion. Basically a command and control value. Losing battles or moving long distances reduces this. A value out of 100 if it drops below 40 the unit has a chance to break and disperse in combat. It's also the stat shown on the left hand side bar of the unit counter. Generally this tracks how hosed a unit is.

Readiness. A value out of 100, basically how good a shape the unit is in. Low readiness badly effects combat ability and reduces the amount of Action points (AP) that you have to use in a turn. It drops when out of supply or when fighting.

Experience. Effects combat ability quite a lot. Gained by fighting or training. It's out of 100 and 25 is about where you would expect green but trained units to be.

Morale. Minor effect on fighting ability but high morale reduces unity loss when fighting and helps keep a unit together. Winning battles increases, losing decreases and it will generally recover if a unit is left alone.

Entrenchment. If left alone in a hex a unit will dig in and gain significant defensive bonuses. Terrain and on-map fortifications greatly increase this.

Not pictured in this screen is unit fatigue and artillery resupply.

Fatigue is generated by combat (1 battle = 1 point) and turns on blitz status (1 turn = 1 point). It accumulates and doesnt go away until a unit is told to stand down via the R & R cards. Each point is one less max readiness and every 10 points the unit accumulates AP penalties.

Atrillery resupply is a factor in combat. Once units get too far for trucks to resupply sufficient artillery shells after combat they start to suffer combat penalties after using up said artillery stockpile. I will generally warn when armies are getting ahead of their artillery logistics.

And the green box on the right:

This is basically what is in the unit or its ToE. WE can see we have 10,000 infantry and various artillery pieces. The Red/blue numbers wth percentages are the modifiers the unit currently has. Red being offensive modifiers and blue being defensive. The 11th army is currently configured for an offensive posture so receives +40% attack and -20% defence (small blue arrow above the yellow box) with further defensive penalties from early blitzkreig shock and other factors.

Saros fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 12, 2016

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

A White Guy posted:

Sign me up for AGS and gently caress Hitler, Clausewitz was right. We'll pave the road to Kiev with Italian bodies.
Good, goood!

Let the hate flow through you

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Saros posted:

you will be seeing this on our units a lot more than the Germans.

But we ARE the Germans.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Crazycryodude posted:

But we ARE the Germans.

Actually we are a multi-nation force dedicated to ridding the world of the tyranny of Bolshevism. :eng101:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

dtkozl posted:

Actually we are a multi-nation force dedicated to ridding the world of the tyranny of Bolshevism. :eng101:

Judeo-Bolshevism. :hitler:

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Relationships:

This is the core of the mecanics that makes the game stand out from other wargames. As well as making decisions and pushing around army mans you need to manage relationships with your fellow Nazi's. Generally making decisions against their wishes will decrease the relationship while agreeing with them will increase it. I will try warn of the effects of decisions before they are made.

Hitler. The one-balled man needs no introduction. You need a positive relationship with Hitler in order to obtain permission to reassign a Panzergruppe to an adjoining theatre or begin preparations for winter. You can be fired if your relationship deteriorates with both Hitler and F.M Von Brauchitsch.

F.M Von Brauchitsch. The Boss. As your immediate superior this is a key relationship, especially as you guys seem to have decided to flip the bird to Hitler. Where ever possible you want F.M Von Brauchitsch on side but there may be times when you have to take a stand and disagree. He decreases PP costs for decisions when your relationship is positive and increases when its negative.

Reichsmarschall Göring. The prime effect of your relationship with Göring is that if it’s negative, ’poor’(<-9) or worse, the cost, in PP, of all Luftwaffe Action Cards will increase. The worse your relationship, the greater the cost increase. The Reichsmarschall is a huge shithead and will meddle will other decisions if he dislikes you. Resupply and TAC cards are affected. A positive relationship has no effect and all Luftwaffe cards will be at their standard costs

General Gercke. Perpetually terrified Nazi fellow in charge of trains. If your relationship with him is ‘Poor’, or worse, the incidence of adverse train events (’Inefficient Loading Practices’, ‘Transfer Chokepoints’ and ‘Lack of Cooperation’) will increase. This is a global effect that extends across all theatres and reflects General Gercke unwillingness to pay attention to detail and minimise such problems when he has a dim view of yourself. Siege Artillery is also rail borne and negative relations means there is a chance it will be delayed.

General Wagner. In charge of Truck columns and supply depots. If your relationship with him is ‘Poor’, or worse, your ability to stockpile fuel at your Panzergruppe HQ depots (the point at where it is used) is adversely affected. The worse your relationship, the less fuel you will be able to stockpile and he gets into more spats with Gercke causing logistical issues.

The army group commanders (you) are already introduced. You want to maintain a positive relationship with HQ quite badly, there are three specific effects as a result of your relationship with HQ.
-Action Card costs: Can affect the PP cost of all theatre related actions cards (details later).
-Command Effect: Can experience action point (AP) bonus or penalties to Armies and Panzergruppes under your command. % chance per army = your relationship value.
-Command Focus: Will only be able to give command focus (details in card post) to a Panzergruppe if relations are positive. This is a big deal as these cards are most powerful on PzG.

Saros fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 12, 2016

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Crazycryodude posted:

But we ARE the Germans.

Are we the baddies?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Compulsory viewing for all participants

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn1VxaMEjRU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I will be an undersecretary for train guy. DEATH TO THE TRUCK DRIVING SCUM!

Oh I guess tell hitler to piss off but only if you will support trains, and train accessories

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Riso posted:

Judeo-Bolshevism. :hitler:

Jesus, keep it down! HR says we need to highlight the positive aspects of the 3rd Reich.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
In case anyone wonders, the skulls are taken from the Prussian hussars and means no quarter asked or given.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Truck nazi is a complete rear end in a top hat and is only interested in screwing up offensive timetables to have his tires rotated or some useless garbage.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I'm going to laugh so much when you guys only have enough PP to cooperate in the Holocaust.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

dublish posted:

I'm going to laugh so much when you guys only have enough PP to cooperate in the Holocaust.

And in the end, isn't that what really matters? wait poo poo HR said we can't talk about that

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Guys guys, that only starts in '42, so we're good.

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it
Going to play my first game as the Germans in parallel, so I might as well sign up to see how this one goes.

Signing up for AGS with an emphatic gently caress Hitler.

omgwtfmate
Sep 8, 2016
Signing up for AGN and voting for the Fuhrer knows best.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Signed up for AGC and Moscow or Bust for entirely selfish reasons. Looking forward to this LP!

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
I'm telling y'all, even letting Hitler run wild I never have enough PP to do poo poo the minute two generals hate me. That's one bridge I wouldn't burn. Enjoy needing weeks to move an FSB or shift out of blitzkrieg posture.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Well the nice devs have offered to show me how to meddle with the PP system so I might ease things slightly for team goon give the already sparse PP allocation is going to be split three ways.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
Signed up for AGC, so of course I select the glory of option B!

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Can I be Atomikrab's Assistant Undersecretary to the Office of Train Nazi? And if so, what responsibilities will I have and what kind of outcome can I expect at the Nuremberg Trials?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Riso posted:

Guys guys, that only starts in '42, so we're good.

Good thing there ARE potential decisions regarding the army's cooperation with the Einsatzgruppen, and other terrible poo poo like that, that goons probably won't have enough PP to turn down instead. :v:

Really, always take the route where you're personally liked by the funny mustache man, so when you tell the SS just where they can shove their orders, or other horrid orders from the top for that matter, he doesn't mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Oh yes, it's probably worth mentioning that at the end of the game a fairly meaty report is generated that includes your final fate after the war. Your participation or not in the wonderful variety of war crimes that dot the Eastern front is a major factor in whether you manage a quiet retirement writing memoirs full of terrible lies, meet the gallows at Nuremberg or just plain have a bad end related to a number of Russian bullets.

Of course, if the war really is over by Christmas and Russia is defeated then nobody in the Thousand year Reich is likely to give a poo poo about incidents that happened out east are they and large numbers of Political points could be the difference between success and failure...

• Locked thread