Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Latest Update: Oswald, Act 7: A Free Man.....Part A.....Part B.....Cutscenes (Oct 17th gently caress.)

What is this game?
Odin Sphere is a RPG/Beat-em-up made in 2007 by, at the time, a small and budding developer known as Vanillaware. Fresh after developing GrimGrimoire, the team was ready to release their passion project by making what was originally to become the spiritual successor to Princess Crown. Odin Sphere takes a lot of inspiration from Richard Wagner's tale Ring of the Nibelung and chronicles the tales of five different viewpoints across a great war over a terrible artifact that spells destruction for the world.

However, the gameplay for it sucked. A combination of a simplistic combat system, overly complex alchemy mechanics and the PS2's limited hardware capacities made the original Odin Sphere a chore to play.

Fast Forward to 2015, just after the announcement of their new game Aegis 13, Vanillaware also teased at what would be a remake of Odin Sphere. Labeled Leifdrasir, the remake included totally revamped gameplay, new stage assets, new enemies and bosses, and a complete re-scaling of everything to 1080p without just stretching the assets out. The remake got stellar reviews and was received well by the general gaming community, finally putting Odin Sphere where Vanillaware wanted it to be after all these years.

And now, after a few months of practice and steeling myself, I'm gonna LP this under the hardest circumstances: Heroic Mode (hard mode with no HP gains period), and all S-Ranks. This LP is played on the Playstation Vita version of the game, however versions for the PS4 and PS3 exist as well for higher resolution options and slightly better performance.

Haven't you done this before?
Yep, and others have both done it better than me and are currently in the process of doing their own LP. I never did like the quality of the Odin Sphere streams though, so I figured now would be a great time to both make a better LP in general and also challenge myself.

What to expect from this LP
This LP is going to update once a week, mainly because of how big each episode can get but also since I'm basically putting out 2.5 videos per update. The main episode will be split down the middle for viewer convenience since over-half-hour-long videos are not that great, and alongside that a commentary-less video with all the cutscenes will be provided since the plot deserves to be listened in its own right without us trying to be funny. Videos will hopefully be 60fps, and if they aren't then YT's taking its sweet time encoding it. Commentary will operate much like the Genroku Legends LP format: I will be bringing in a new commentator per story, mainly out of necessity since most people are busy with real life and probably can't commit to something as long as this. I'm also plotting to show off the art book in videos with popular artist HelloWinter at the end of each chapter to show off where each character and story could've gone.

And yes, Food Episode will be a thing. I already have it fully recorded.

Rules of the LP
Try to refrain from spoilers. I won't actively chastise people over them since this is a 12 year old game, but it is also one most people don't know about due to how little exposure it got. Aside from that, go wild.

Table of Contents

Playlist of the Nibelung

Introduction

Chapter 1: Valkyrie (Commentator: Shibbotech)
Act 1: On the Stormfront Battlefield.....Part A.....Part B.....Cutscenes
Act 2: The Witch of Elrit Forest.....Part A.....Part B.....Cutscenes
Act 3: To Horn Mountain.....Part A.....Part B......Cutscenes
Act 4: Gwendolyn & The 7 Dwarves.....Part A.....Part B.....Cutscenes
Act 5: A Burning Passion.....Part A.....Part B.....Cutscenes
Act 6: The raid on Ringford Forest.....Part A.....Part B.....Cutscenes.....Bonus video(NSFW)
Epilogue: A Beautiful Illusion.....Part A.....Part B.....Cutscenes

Chapter 2: The Pooka Prince (Commentator: Skippy Granola)
Act 1: The Lost Coin.....Part A.....Part B.....Cutscenes
Act 2: A Flagon Hard Time.....Part A.....Part B.....Cutscenes
Act 3: The Duplicitous Rogue.....Part A.....Part B.....Cutscenes
Act 4: Dragon King of Horn Mountain.....Part A.....Part B.....Cutscenes
Act 5: A Bolt through the Stormfront.....Part A.....Part B.....Cutscenes
Act 6: All hail King Egg.....Part A.....Part B.....Cutscenes
Epilogue: The Found Coin.....Part A.....Part B.....Cutscenes

Chapter 3: Fairyland (Commentator: Torpid Typist)
Act 1: Princess & The Frog.....Part A.....Part B.....Cutscenes
Act 2: The Flames of Rebellion.....Part A.....Part B.....Cutscenes
Act 3: A Queen's Duty.....Part A.....Part B.....Cutscenes
Act 4: Beldor's Gambit.....Part A.....Part B.....Cutscenes
Act 5: Seeking Brom.....Part A.....Part B.....Cutscenes
Act 6: The First Flame.....Part A.....Part B.....Cutscenes
Epilogue: A True Queen.....Part A.....Part B.....Cutscenes

Chapter 4: The Black Sword (Commentator: risenPyro)
Act 1: The Black Swordsman.....Part A.....Part B.....Cutscenes
Act 2: No Mercy.....Part A.....Part B.....Cutscenes
Act 3: Unwavering Loyalty.....Part A.....Part B.....Cutscenes
Act 4: A Reason to Live.....Part A.....Part B.....Cutscenes
Act 5: Wetwork.....Part A.....Part B.....Cutscenes
Act 6: The Wise Men.....Part A.....Part B.....Cutscenes
Act 7: A Free Man.....Part A.....Part B.....Cutscenes

Highwang fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
This game probably has the best story I've ever seen in any interactive media.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

You loving madman, godspeed Wang, can't wait to see you break this game over your knee, or be broken, either will do.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I've been waiting for you to cover this game since you mentioned in one of the LPs that you had plans to do so at some point. This remake is so loving good that it's in a weird place; it's not as lowkey as most HD remasters since it revamps the combat and a lot of the game mechanics, but it's not quite what you'd expect from a remake since the story/dialogue/art is pretty much entirely untouched.

Looking forward to seeing how Heroic mode plays out. IIRC it's called Hell mode in the Japanese so I'm sure it's fun.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Oh hell yes. I loved the original Odin Sphere, it was the first Vanillaware game I played and was my introduction to them. The art style just blew me away with how gorgeous the game was and the story being based on Wagner pretty much guaranteed that I'd love it forever. My only beef with it was how very frustrated by the combat I would get. The release of the new re-vamped game just put a huge smile on my face. If I weren't so broke I'd own the Leifdrasir version right now.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'm 3 characters into my own attempt to S rank everything. Abusing the poo poo of the XP system helps, but even then it's pretty hard to do without grinding. Goood luck!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm 3 characters into my own attempt to S rank everything. Abusing the poo poo of the XP system helps, but even then it's pretty hard to do without grinding. Goood luck!

At least on Hard I never had any problems S ranking fights. The tough fights I'd usually get slaughtered until I figured out a good way to handle things and then I'd get S pretty much immediately, but 90% of the fights are pretty easy to get S on since the ranking system is really generous. If you take a bit longer than you should or get hit a bit too much you can usually recover by getting a really long combo or something. No idea how that plays out on Heroic, however.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I love how much Shib is flipping the gently caress out about everything. I also like that the Elves have an insect motif and the waist-winged valkyries are an interesting design choice.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Neat, you're finally starting this LP. Been looking forward to it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Dunno if you'll bring this up later Highwang, but you can attack Belial's trash ball to deflect it back at him and stun him, which can come in pretty handy.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I've been paying attention to the other LP as well, but it's interesting to see the story already unfolding into some wacky mashup of Germanic/Norse, Irish, and Welsh mythology. (For the record, Wagner's Ring Cycle is in turn based on a nested set of sources like the Nibelungenlied and The Poetic Edda.)

Also Richard Epcar as Brigan is a national treasure. :allears:

Goggle Fox
Jul 9, 2011

Glad to see you're going forward with this, though I wasn't expecting perfect Heroic mode! This'll be quite a ride.

Minor quibble: LeifÞrasir. Pronounced kinda like "Life Thra-seer". No "D". But whatever (also I'm not even sure titles are allowed to use that character)

Looking forward to your take on the cycle of tragedy and cooking that is this game.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

NGDBSS posted:

Richard Epcar as is a national treasure. :allears:

You got that right baby! Uh-huh-huh https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULmOKB3j3q8

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
When I looked at the first video for this game, I thought to myself, "This looks like it plays like Dragon's Crown."

Then you mentioned it was made by the same studio and I was happy I recognized the animation style of the various characters and backgrounds.

RydogZeta
Feb 14, 2016
The game that was too pretty for the PS2 to handle(hooray no slowdown in the PS4 version), glad to see you showing off Alice’s animations though I think she has a second one where kicks her feet while in the chair.

The original definitely had more emphasis on item usage which ended up being another form of grinding which was annoying while the HD version has more emphasis on combat like Muramasa.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Act 2: The Witch of Elrit Forest.....Part A.....Part B.....Cutscenes

Today's update shows off the start of alchemy, somewhat close boss fights, and a geiger-esque enemy that freaks Shibbo out.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I own that potion t-shirt Highwang. :smug:

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I've already posted his performance as Etemon in Digimon Adventure but Richard Epcar also did the voice of Myotismon as well.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I wonder if the multi-jawed Manticore wasn't inspired by the venerable Masticore:

or by any of its successor versions. When I saw the multi-jaw thing that's all I could think of. Granted, in Masticore's case they're arrayed in parallel as opposed to serially, as it were, but it still seemed familiar somehow.

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

I'm Doctor Shibbo, and this is Jackass.
Nap Ghost
Hahaha Highwang left a pause in this video we're recording where he took a phone call, I thought this guy was professional! just ignore my awful video quality and inconsistency in my LP

Hope y'all are enjoying it so far, I'm legitimately awestruck with this game. I'm flippin' out because it's beautiful and I love everything about this. Also Highwang's fun to shoot the poo poo with.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Act 3: To Horn Mountain.....Part A.....Part B......Cutscenes

Today Shibootech helps us realize that Gwendolyn really is the worst Disney princess ever.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Much better.

Anyway, a bugbear is a legendary creature comparable to the bogeyman which were historically used in some cultures to frighten disobedient children. In medieval England specifically, the Bugbear was depicted as a creepy bear that lurked in the woods to scare children.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Nov 12, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Uh, elgato devices aren't $200. Currently the HD60 goes for $150, and the HD goes for $130 (you lose 1080p60 but you can also capture older stuff), at least on Amazon. And even a year ago the HD was ~$150 (though this may have been a sale price, in which case this post is pointless).

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Pretty sure the bugbear was called something else in the PS2 version.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
One of my favorite games of all time being utterly destroyed.

Good times.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Act 4: Gwendolyn & The 7 Dwarves.....Part A.....Part B.....Cutscenes

This week we head back to Ragnanival to see that Gwendolyn doesn't have the best homecoming.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Even lac-tards like me love the smell of baked cheese.

Also, that Dwarf Battle ship was not in the original game! I mean, holy poo poo, that was nuts!!

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Gwendolyn the worst Disney Princess, written by MugiwaraYoshi and BigTUnit1 and directed by Thornbrain.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

"I need a drink." - An Odin Sphere Leifthrasir LP

I really like Gwendolyn's story, so it's nice to hear the first-time reactions from Shibbotech on the events.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Shibbotech needs to be around for all of the videos. If someone needs to be switch outed I'd rather it be Highwang. :colbert:

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

I'm Doctor Shibbo, and this is Jackass.
Nap Ghost

Like Clockwork posted:

"I need a drink." - An Odin Sphere Leifthrasir LP

I really like Gwendolyn's story, so it's nice to hear the first-time reactions from Shibbotech on the events.

Genocyber posted:

Shibbotech needs to be around for all of the videos. If someone needs to be switch outed I'd rather it be Highwang. :colbert:

the thread has spoken, wang, can't get rid of me now :toot:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
If nothing else, I hope the rest of your guests are going in blind too. I really like the informed/blind co-commentator dynamic.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Chimera-gui posted:

Gwendolyn the worst Disney Princess

I dunno, Gwendolyn's penchant for murder time at least makes her the most INTERESTING Disney Princess.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

mauman posted:

I dunno, Gwendolyn's penchant for murder time at least makes her the most INTERESTING Disney Princess.
But does she have a body count higher than Mulan yet?

Seriously, that lady dropped a mountain on an army.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Shei-kun posted:

But does she have a body count higher than Mulan yet?

Seriously, that lady dropped a mountain on an army.

But she didn't do it hands on style with her spear :downs:

Given how many armies she's hosed up so far (and is still to gently caress up), I think she already surpassed Mulan.

NeruVolpi
Apr 23, 2016
Does the game allows you to play chronologically? Like changing characters on the time skip?
Or does it have you fill the gaps?

Either is good to me, just curious.

Also this LP is pure gold. Keep up eating good food.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

NeruVolpi posted:

Does the game allows you to play chronologically? Like changing characters on the time skip?
Or does it have you fill the gaps?

Either is good to me, just curious.

Also this LP is pure gold. Keep up eating good food.

Each character has their own story that you go through in its entirety, and you play through each character in a specific order. It's a very linear game to accommodate the story.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Act 5: A Burning Passion.....Part A.....Part B.....Cutscenes

Let's burn through the election day bile with a hot new update!

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Wrong lp.

Though I am quite enjoying this one too.

drat multiple tabs.

mauman fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wordybird
Oct 22, 2013

I like Chicken.
I like Liver.
Meow Mix Meow Mix please reconsider.
Ah, Onyx. He's such a glorious, hammy bastard. Totally revels in his awfulness and eats up the scenery whenever he's around. Also he's voiced by Nolan North doing a voice that isn't Nathan Drake, so that's just an added bonus!

• Locked thread