Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update - Chapter 6: The First Flame.....Part A.....Part B.....Cutscenes

Today's update is one I'm not proud of. This highlights the first of two SHMUP segments demonstrated in the advertisements for this remake. Now while these segments are not any hassle in any other difficulty due to having roughly 2000+ HP by this point, you can tell this setpiece was not designed with Heroic mode in mind. Every enemy in this one segment does upwards to 500 damage, which can easily kill a heroic Mercedes in one shot. The worst part is that Mercedes has no reliable way to get shield pots, so if you're like me and thought you could just throw resources at the fight to clean sweep it, you'll be in for a world of hurt. An unintended benefit however is that this one stage is really good for farming Phozon, so if you really wanted to max out Mercedes' poo poo you can do it here.

Aside from that, its a rather uneventful level. Fire Realm never really has any major plot points occur here, and it almost always feels like filler arc compared to the rest of the game. And due to me being a stubborn oaf over the shmup stage, Mercedes' power curve is way overpowered than what it should normally be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
People have big chests in Vanillaware but Dragon's Crown is like the MOST EXTREME version. Like beyond how male gaze it is, it's also just really ugly. Wonky anatomy is fine when it's stylish, like Jojo where bones are a suggestion and muscles look like exploding sausages. Dragon's Crown is just TOO much. Characters are like 90% pectorals and it just looks really bad.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

People have big chests in Vanillaware but Dragon's Crown is like the MOST EXTREME version. Like beyond how male gaze it is, it's also just really ugly. Wonky anatomy is fine when it's stylish, like Jojo where bones are a suggestion and muscles look like exploding sausages. Dragon's Crown is just TOO much. Characters are like 90% pectorals and it just looks really bad.
You take that back.

The Fighter is an amazing design. Big, beefy muscles and armor, itty bitty bishounen head.

It makes me giggle every time I see it.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update - Act 7: A True Queen.....Part A.....Part B.....Cutscenes

Mercedes is finally done. Honestly, thank goodness, cause much like everyone who tries to play for the first time this LP hit a super hard lull in interest on my part once we got to Mercedes just because of how uninspired her gameplay is. Luckily we get the most fun character to play as imo, because Oswald's combos and berserker mode have been updated in this game and now he can truly go rip-poo poo on everyone.

Thanks again to TorpidTypist for powering through this with me. There's a possibility that the start of Oswald may be delayed due to both recording it and finding a commentator since my original plans fell apart.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Brutal and brilliant are not mutually exclusive Highwang, Mercedes' ultimatum to Odin definitely qualifies as both. Keep in mind that Elfaria was basically a martyr for the Fairies so Mercedes was not wrong about Odin becoming one for his people if she just killed him.

And let's face it, Odin deserved to be punched in the groin rather than become a martyr for everything he's done at this point.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 7, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Judging from the scale of the huge thing in the new background it's probably something from the Valentine Kingdom. Even the dwarves haven't made anything that can rival the size of the Cauldron and those structures in the background are huuuuuge.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
"you feel for the more enemies isn't good design meme" god, gamers are insufferable

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Holy loving poo poo, Mercedes.

That's probably the most brutal and soul-shattering thing you could have done to Odin.

I'm so proud of you.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update and Story Arc:

Oswald, Act 1: The Black Swordsman.....Part A.....Part B.....Cutscenes

risenPyro joins me for the most fun you will ever have in Odin Sphere being an edgy blender of death and destruction. Also, while Oswald's story is a hot mess in terms of structure, it does a great job at providing an alternate viewpoint at the events going on in the world of Erion, and also is a great character study for someone that looks like your typical edge-lord type but is anything but that.

Also, bit of trivia if I'm remembering it right: Oswald is supposed to pay homage to Siegfried in the Ring of the Nibelung opera. Been a while since I looked that up though so someone will have to correct me there.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Darkdeath Evilman's story is one of my favorites, though I could never quite wrap my head around actually playing the guy in combat. I'm looking forward to seeing how you make him work.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
I love the Ragnanival levels for the swirly starry nights skies. I'm a sucker for a gorgeous night sky.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Hot drat Berzerker mode melts enemies.

Also, d'aww, Oswald's falling in love. And it's going to be a really bad thing for everyone.

My favorite line in this game is still, "I have a magic sword." I don't think anything will top that.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

So do you need a full meter to go into berserk mode? It looks that way at first, I don't know if there's a skill or passive later on that lets you enter it at any time.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update - Chapter 2: No Mercy.....Part A.....Part B.....Cutscenes

Totally late for this update. Blame Red Hook Studios.

Today's update kinda shows how flawed both this game model can get, because its especially bad in this chapter. Thematically at least, this chapter shows the growing tension within the Vanir's political powers, Oswald's wavering loyalty to his stepfather, and more importantly how Melvin never actually planned to make a power-play on the throne until the late Queen who's name I can't remember died. I enjoy this chapter a lot from a storytelling standpoint because it fleshes out a bunch of bit-players in other chapters, making them feel way more dynamic and (barring genetic logic) human in a way. The main issue however lies in the gameplay, when we're fighting the same set of Aesir enemies and midbosses for the 6th loving time across the game's timeline and we're still not done yet. It does show that the ambition that Kamitani and his team put into this game runs into some hitches that they couldn't resolve, whether it be due to lack of creative vision or just a lack of budget to make anything new. That being said, its a super fun chapter to play as Oswald with just because of how brutal you can be. Unlike the other characters, Oswald can easily keep up with Hard Mode's HP scaling and trivialize most encounters without even thinking and still have creative liberties to do neat combos as well thanks to how well his attacks flow into each other.

Jade Rider posted:

So do you need a full meter to go into berserk mode? It looks that way at first, I don't know if there's a skill or passive later on that lets you enter it at any time.
Yes

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The 'filling in bit characters' part is also why I disagree that Oswald's story is a hot mess in terms of structure. With Gwendolyn, Cornelius and Mercedes the story was introducing new elements about the world: Gwendolyn gets the lion share, Cornelius introduces the Human/Titania element and Mercedes provides the contrasting Fey/Vanir viewpoint to Gwendolyn's Aesir perspective.

Oswald is mostly about backfilling details that were introduced with the other characters as well as his own story (IE: how does 'I will do anything for you adopted Faerie Father' Oswald turn into 'You are not an object!' Oswald.)
As such while his story does jump around a lot he has the benefit of a pretty well established timeline at this point to do so. Especially since he's just as faithful to it as the rest of the cast.

Also really glad to see they doubled down on his berserker/crazy strong nature by making him a theoretically infinite combo generator. While others may pause in their attacks to grant the enemy some small window to counter Oswald shows no such mercy :black101:

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update - Chapter 3: Unwavering Loyalty.....Part A.....Part B.....Cutscenes

This chapter's so weird, mainly because Oswald's needed elsewhere. A lot. Good news though, he finally gets his own story after this chapter rather than being a device for other plot elements.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

There's some nuances that indicate this happens before Mercedes gets there. Melvin says 'we'll keep her in the castle and the masses will follow us.' In Mercedes chapter IIRC there's something about 'I've been in the castle awhile what in the world is going on what do you mean the masses are following Melvin why won't someone do something' and then she goes to talk to Beldor.

Melvin talking about the Revolution is either double-speak (because it hasn't started yet) or because some of the Lords are also fighting against Melvin's Revolution.

Fae politics are complicated sometimes.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update- Chapter 4; A Reason to Live.....Part A.....Part B.....Cutscenes

Hey look who finally got an update in on time.

We finally get to see Oswald's story head in his own personal direction, and its pretty drat interesting honestly. I know I play him up too much like Raiden in MGS2, but he really does get a huge turn of development by this point since he starts understanding how hollow an existence he has and tries to rectify that. Also man, Odette gets a little too intense here.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I'm guessing the next chapter is the one where he marries The Worst Disney Princess?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Saw this in PYF, sure as hell belongs in this thread:

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

SilverMike posted:

Saw this in PYF, sure as hell belongs in this thread:

Aww, that's adorable.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
Snow is not the worst thing on the planet! :cmon: :norway:

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update - Chapter 5: Wetwork.....Part A.....Part B.....Cutscenes

Hey guess what took a month to deal with across hardware issues, health issues, and gainful employment!

Condoleezza Nice! posted:

Snow is not the worst thing on the planet! :cmon: :norway:
I wouldn't know!

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Oh my god, everyone was a colossal rear end in a top hat in this chapter.

Also, that was hilarious with the wording thing between Odin and Oswald.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
That Phantom Killer move you got that you said you weren't sure what did is a counter move, a la Lucario in smash bros. They hit you, it does no damage and triggers your counter, you suddenly move behind them and hit them instead.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
So, two more chapters before Oswald gets his sorry arse kicked by a baby dragon? Because that's the reason, even more than the edge(although that's not helping either) why I simply cannot force myself to take Oswald seriously. Because I know that, at one point, he will get his rear end kicked. By a baby dragon. One that, before and after that point, is defeated by his magically-coerced girlfriend, a bunny rabbit, and the world's sorriest excuse for a queen.

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 9, 2017

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Have you ever seen a zombie defeat a dragon? He is doing rather well for a dead guy.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Oswald, noted slayer of Dragons (one who let it happen and the other the self proclaimed King of the Skies) ends up losing to a baby dragon.

If that doesn't say something about that Baby Dragon I don't know what does.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

Oswald, noted slayer of Dragons (one who let it happen and the other the self proclaimed King of the Skies) ends up losing to a baby dragon.

If that doesn't say something about that Baby Dragon I don't know what does.

A. Bunny. Rabbit.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Aumanor posted:

A. Bunny. Rabbit.

That failed to kill Wagner and had to resort to potion storming to survive :smuggo:
(Yes I know that Oswald is the only one who actually wanted to kill Wagner but the point stands!)

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

What audio issues have you been having with that Hauppage? I've had an HD PVR 2 for a while, and the only real issue is that it saves things at variable framerate in .ts files. I had a bit of a headache dealing with that, but passing everything through Handbrake to convert the files to constant framerate made editing lots easier.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

NGDBSS posted:

What audio issues have you been having with that Hauppage? I've had an HD PVR 2 for a while, and the only real issue is that it saves things at variable framerate in .ts files. I had a bit of a headache dealing with that, but passing everything through Handbrake to convert the files to constant framerate made editing lots easier.

All audio issues come from the thing overheating. It'll just stop recording and disconnect all connections to it, and if I'm super unlucky (i.e. this ENTIRE LP) It'll also corrupt the video to beyond repair. Nothing I've done stymies this problem either.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

That sounds mostly like an issue with your specific capture card. Electronics like that shouldn't be overheating unless the heat sink gives out, and in a situation like that you can often fix the problem with some technical knowledge and appropriate tools. (Or ask around; there's probably someone you know who can diagnose the issue at a glance once that capture card is pried open.)

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Bit of a heads up on the LP for what it matters.

I was planning on recording something today but based on pattern recognition I'm 100% certain the hauppauge would corrupt my video and cause more work to be done. And now that I have a job, I can't exactly spare that time anymore. Having a job though means I have money coming in, so next week I plan to buy a new capture card and record then. I know we're gonna be a month late again but a lot of delays have been caused by the hauppauge and I'm sick of it.

Pretty sure this LP will end with me giving the drat thing the screwdriver.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I await with anticipation the bonus footage of Gwendolyn air-comboing it, Cornelius Potion Storming it, Mercedes filling it with daylight and Oswald super-beast-mode-comboing it.

Oh and Velvet doing whatever she does to it to. We haven't got there yet.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update - Chapter 6: The Wise Men.....Part A.....Part B.....Cutscenes

And we're back with a new capture card and the filler-iest chapter of Oswald yet. Which is a shame, because it shows just how much of an actual person he is.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Can't let Onyx have the Disney ending.

He already has legions of PG-13 girls! He surpasses the age rating for a Disney ending!

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Super glad to hear you're planning a Dragon's Crown LP. That game is criminally underplayed.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Oh sweet I forgot about this LP and am super glad to see it back. Purely for the 2d video game food and food chats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update - Act 7: A Free Man.....Part A.....Part B.....Cutscenes

Its Volkennon again, but with a rad new boss! Alas, fun with Oswald is now over. At least the actual plot is going to kick off now with Velvet's story!

• Locked thread