Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

Absolute Lithops posted:

I'd like to do 16, the trials of Miriam. I think her trials should provide her with something that will prove vital to her defeat of Frog, but whose importance may not be apparent in my chapter. I think other people need to figure out who Miriam is before I can choose some trials for her.

e: Her trials will be based on traditional fairytale/mythological trials, which can be pretty strange

Sounds good! Welcome.

There are now as many writers as there are chapters. At this point, if you are interested in writing a chapter, you will be put on a WAITING LIST. I am going to begin contacting posters who initially said they would be interested in writing to see if they still are. If they aren't, posters from the WAITING LIST will get a chance in the order they signed up.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms
I want #5
Miriam, Daughter of the Owls

thats the amount of times ive edited this post

Ahundredbux fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Oct 13, 2016

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

Ahundredbux posted:

I want #5
Miriam, Daughter of the Owls

thats the amount of times ive edited this post

:) I'm so excited to get this chapter assigned.

Note: Miriam, daughter of the Owls, does not need to be an owl herself, although she may be. I just didn't want you to think she had to be.

----------------

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms
I personally think it's way more interesting if she is not

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

Ahundredbux posted:

I personally think it's way more interesting if she is not

I agree.

City of Glompton

misty mountaintop posted:

Post/coordinate as much as is helpful to you without impeding the writing. I know people have very different creative processes. Some people just need to get to work. Some need to have some direction and grounding first. I just also know that it's very common to get so hung up on details and getting it "right" that the fun process of imagining and writing becomes an anxious one instead.

The one thing I'm asking is that nobody post the actual text which they have written. This is partly because it's nicer when things are a surprise, but mostly because there's nothing that activates feelings of anxiety and inferiority and "wrongness" like reading someone else's work when you're in the middle of writing your own.

What I envision we'll end up with after "phase I" is a patchwork of stories where the patches will need to be tailored a bit. If this will help, here's what it will look like from a production perspective.

Phase I:

Writing the initial chapters. We're doing that now! Yay!
At the end of this phase I'll read through what we've got and produce short summaries of each of the "frame" chapters. No actual revision will go on here, but the summaries will be relatively "smoothed" so that they represent a coherent narrative. This will allow us to move on to the next part.

Assuming we get enough participation and followthrough at this phase, I am committing to dragging this sucker all the way across the finish line (up through Phase IV) even if I have to do it by my lonesome, but hopefully I won't have to do it alone.

Phase II:
Anyone who still wants to be involved in this little project will get assigned one of the currently "bolded" chapters. If there are more people who still want to be involved than there are chapters, we'll break those chapters down into further sections and team-write them. The reason that they are "locked" right now is that I think it would be hard to write them in a properly climactic/conclusive way without knowing a bit more about the narrative.

At the end of this phase, we will have a complete story.

Phase III:
I will post (or probably put in pastebin or somewhere like that), the complete, unedited text that we have created. At this point, we will have a discussion to decide any overarching issues in tone, scope, narrative, characterization that will need to be addressed before editing can begin.

At the end of this phase, editors will have the guidance they need to revise responsibly.

Phase IV:
I, and up to two or three other people who somehow still want to be involved in this project will actually edit the document. My hope is that the document we edit will be viewable in real time so everyone can see what the editors are doing and give guidance and encouragement. The "editing rules" will look something like this.

• Preserve as much of the original text as possible.
  • Where possible, reconcile problems by adding, rather than cutting things. (Where possible, if the original writer of the chapter is interested in adding stuff, they get first dibs).
  • Where it is not possible to reconcile problems by adding, reconcile problems by rearranging (Some chapters will probably end up out of the original order, or with bits of other chapters moved into them)
  • If cutting is necessary, 1) Respect the contributions of the writers 2) Create an index of "textual variants" where the cut material will live on forever in a textual Valhalla
  • Improve the story.

At the end of this phase, we will have a complete story! But:

Phase V:
Starting concurrently with Phase IV, but perhaps extending beyond it, we will put on the finishing touches, which might include:

• Proofreading
  • Art stuff: charts, maps, illustrations! etc.
  • Book stuff: table of contents, credits, introduction, foreword etc.
  • Design stuff: font, layout, etc.

Phase VI:

?? What will happen to our masterpiece then? I don't know. But we will feel really good about what we have accomplished and maybe we can get a gang tag or some other sign of participation.

do you reckon a shared google doc be helpful for this?

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

City of Glompton

is the very dirty princess supposed to be a someone in particular?

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

City of Glompton posted:

do you reckon a shared google doc be helpful for this?

Yeah, I think that will work. We don't need one right yet, but that's probably the best way once the editing starts.

City of Glompton posted:

is the very dirty princess supposed to be a someone in particular?

Up to you, but it wasn't intended to be. The "Tales" aren't meant to be connected directly to the frame narrative. They're there to provide variety, pacing, themes etc.

----------------

Absolute Lithops

After one long season
of waiting, after one
long season of wanting
Important question:
Is Miriam a bird?

I think I know the answer to this but I want to be sure

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

Absolute Lithops posted:

Important question:
Is Miriam a bird?

I think I know the answer to this but I want to be sure

Ahundredbux should field this because they have the first Miriam chapter.

----------------

Absolute Lithops

After one long season
of waiting, after one
long season of wanting

Ahundredbux should field this because they have the first Miriam chapter.

Thank you.

About how long should the chapter be? Is there an approximate page range? I want to have an idea of how many trials I can fit in :ohdear:

Absolute Lithops fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 13, 2016

social vegan

Absolute Lithops posted:

Thank you.

About how long should the chapter be? Is there an approximate page range? I want to have an idea of how many trials I can fit in :ohdear:

mm said write til you feel done!

Rockman Reserve

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

man i was all excited about my chapter title and stuff and then realized i had no good ideas like those presented in this here thread

but then i thought for a while and ideas started exploding out of my head, like drat i am psyched about this

hoping to have something by saturday, work is eating my free time, free will, and happiness :(

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms
she's not a bird , she was raised and loved by bird(people?) though

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

Absolute Lithops posted:

Thank you.

There's pretty much no upper limit although fairly soon I think I will suggest a "deadline" to at least give some semblance of structure to this thing.

My hope is that the average page-count per paragraph will be in the 5-8 page range (140-220 total words for 28 chapters), but that means some people coming in under that and some people coming in over that. it's fine if it's more.

----------------

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Draft sent, Splatmaster's in the subject in case it gets sent to your junk bin

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

Splatmaster posted:

Draft sent, Splatmaster's in the subject in case it gets sent to your junk bin

Hooray! I'm so excited to read it except

Wtf Hotmail...

----------------

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit
Ok, after Googling, I found a solution, I read splatmasters thing and...it's really great.

----------------

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit
Splatmaster, you may have felt a weird warm feeling when I returned your soul to you from whence I had trapped it. You are now on the list of heroes who have finished their chapter.

----------------

Rockman Reserve

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

would it be against the rules/spirit of the thread to ask for some excerpts or even drafts? i am very new to the BYOB scene and would both love to see what others have come up with while making sure that my chapter isn't super terrible in comparison

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Splatmaster, you may have felt a weird warm feeling when I returned your soul to you from whence I had trapped it. You are now on the list of heroes who have finished their chapter.

:peanut:

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

food court bailiff posted:

would it be against the rules/spirit of the thread to ask for some excerpts or even drafts? i am very new to the BYOB scene and would both love to see what others have come up with while making sure that my chapter isn't super terrible in comparison

I really, really do not want excerpts or drafts to be posted in this thread. However, I'm not in charge of what people pm/email to each other under the cover of darkness :evilbuddy: Perhaps someone reading this thread will hear your cries.

----------------

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
If i send mine in apple pages can you read it or should i just cut and paste it in an email?

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

Luvcow posted:

If i send mine in apple pages can you read it or should i just cut and paste it in an email?

I'm a PC girl so I guess cut and paste is better.

----------------

City of Glompton

I am writing, and it is fun. thank you misty for this great chance to do something challenging and fun.

Android Blues

i started mine today

Arkanomen

All he wants is a hug
I have a first draft done! I am running it by writer wife so she can make it gooder. Hopefully tonight or tomorrow I will have my chapter done.

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit
I'm really excited to see how this comes together. PMs sent to people who haven't yet picked a chapter, so hopefully all chapters will be assigned sometime in the next 24 hours.

----------------

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

Arkanomen posted:

I have a first draft done! I am running it by writer wife so she can make it gooder. Hopefully tonight or tomorrow I will have my chapter done.

I wish I had a writer wife!

----------------

social vegan

Android Blues posted:

i started mine today

:same:

Doghouse

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
I'll take chapter 3 but I have a crazy week or so coming up, hopefully I can fit it in some time though

Arkanomen

All he wants is a hug

I wish I had a writer wife!

Writer wife says she would be down to help edit in Stage IV!

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

Doghouse posted:

I'll take chapter 3 but I have a crazy week or so coming up, hopefully I can fit it in some time though

Noted, and good luck with your crazy week.

----------------

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms
i'm gonna write my own wife

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

food court bailiff posted:

Check your PMs

Nathilus

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Dang. I've been phasing out of byob too much and almost missed this. Let me in on it. Collaberative fiction is kinda my poo poo.

super mario batali

Dice-a the Mushroom
I'll take the peacock chapter

MrWillsauce

I wish my wife knew how to write

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit
Frankly, my illiterate wife has become a bit of a millstone around my neck.

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

Nathilus posted:

Dang. I've been phasing out of byob too much and almost missed this. Let me in on it. Collaberative fiction is kinda my poo poo.

No prob. You're on the waitlist now. If there are any unassigned chapters by tomorrow, you can pick one.

----------------

• Locked thread