Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I bought a bunch of performance parts for my 50cc scoot, and this cylinder head came with some poo poo machining on one of the cam bearings:

Now this is a lovely Chinese scoot and I don't care if this thing only lasts a few thousand miles as I'll just throw a new head on (parts are ridiculously dirt cheap for these things, this is probably a $15 head), but if it's going to blow up right away then I'll send it back. I can just catch a fingernail on it, but it's pretty mild overall. Is this cause for concern or should I just slap it together and see what happens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
polish it out and run it. check your clearances.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It looks like the machining on the cam journal next to it isn't very nice either so I bet you need to clean them all up.

Looks expensive to do it right:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM49MMvn6PA

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 12, 2016

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Got the engine torn down. Apparently these cams have integrated ball bearings. Those aren't actually bearings, they're seats for the bearings to sit on. So I doubt the machining matters at all. I think they're polished/machined so that the cams are properly located, rather than as an actual bearing surface.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Also look at this cute lil piston:

And I have to give the Chinese credit, this engine has 1500 miles on it (imho that's a lot for a 50cc) and the internals look absolutely spotless.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Speaking as someone sitting in the (American based) R&D arm for a company that builds their engines in China... no, you don't have to give the Chinese credit. ;)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That's like the tiniest pistons I've ever seen outside of an AC compressor.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I thought that was your 'herb' grinder, what with the lighter and all.

I use the piston from my 80cc honda elite as the shifter handle in my jeep :D

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

mekilljoydammit posted:

Speaking as someone sitting in the (American based) R&D arm for a company that builds their engines in China... no, you don't have to give the Chinese credit. ;)

I may have spoke too soon. There was only one circlip holding in the wrist pin lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That's like the tiniest pistons I've ever seen outside of an AC compressor.

That's the BBK piston btw.

UPDATE: The scoot runs. The kickstarter now tries to break your ankle. Maybe I should rethink the battery/starter delete...

revmoo fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 13, 2016

• Locked thread