Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
They Might Be

Hey All!

As a manager of a Homebrew store, one of the most awesome parts of my job is designing and brewing beers for our recipe book. You all seem like cool folks, so I figured I'd go ahead and bring you in on the process and then (if it's any good) offer it as a recipe kit to unsuspecting Floridians.

First things first, here's our 30 gallon Blichmann Electric Brewhouse:

As far as ingredients go, it's safe to assume for this recipe that we've either got it, or a close substitute. We stock roughly 30 varieties of hops, 60 types of grain, and the full suite of Wyeast yeasts including the seasonal private collection offerings. We've also got access to all your basic brewing herbs, and salts for water chemistry if we want to get fancy.

Now I haven't designed a recipe by committee before, but I figure the best place to start is with the style and some name suggestions. Once that's nailed down we can get into the nitty gritty of picking our malts, yeast, hop schedule, and any aromatics we'd like to add in there.

I'm down to brew anything, but for the sake of the thread lets say no lagers so we can have this thing ready to drink in a few weeks. If you need some inspiration on styles to suggest, the best resource is the BJCP Beer Style Guidelines http://www.bjcp.org/docs/2015_Guidelines_Beer.pdf.

So! What're we brewing BYOB?

Vote is Taking Place Here Until 10/15 http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3794121

They Might Be fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City of Glompton

I don't know anything about beer but I think this is a wonderful idea.

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

They Might Be

City of Glompton posted:

I don't know anything about beer but I think this is a wonderful idea.

We welcome all skill levels and contributions in this thread. Just today a newbie brewer told me he wanted to make a beer that tasted like banana bread but didn't know how. We got it all worked out and I suggested he called it Brown Banana Bubbles or Old Man Banana Ale.

I think he appreciated my help with the recipe more than my name suggestions.

Pimpcasso

VOLS BITCH
A beer that tastes like hotdogs and spearmint

RazzleDazzleHour

The only kind of beer I actively enjoy the process of drinking are porters so I'm trying to think of something to make porters more fun instead of just adding vanilla. Maybe a caramel apple porter? I'm reading the style guide and stouts seem like something I might like too

They Might Be

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

A beer that tastes like hotdogs and spearmint

This would be pretty easy to do. I'd boil up a bunch of dogs in my hot liquor tank and then use the hot ham water as a base for a 'campfire' style beer with smoked malts. Spearmint is as simple as adding the oil when you keg it. We could call it Bad Frogger Ale.

That said, I don't wan't to brew that it'll probably be disgusting.

They Might Be

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

The only kind of beer I actively enjoy the process of drinking are porters so I'm trying to think of something to make porters more fun instead of just adding vanilla. Maybe a caramel apple porter? I'm reading the style guide and stouts seem like something I might like too

I like where you're going with this. My concern is that it'll be really tough to get an apple flavor that can punch through all the dark bitter roasted flavors of a porter. Maybe a Salted Caramel Porter, or Toffee?

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
I'm a cheap beer drinker and the "fanciest" i drink, and my absolute favorite, is Newcastle Brown Ale. Is it possible to make a brown ale with coffee and honey dipped donut flavoring? Maybe with bacon too?

Willie Tomg
a guajilo and hibiscus kolsch with pure fuckin caffeine powder in the wort

They Might Be

Luvcow posted:

I'm a cheap beer drinker and the "fanciest" i drink, and my absolute favorite, is Newcastle Brown Ale. Is it possible to make a brown ale with coffee and honey dipped donut flavoring? Maybe with bacon too?

Coffee and Doughnut Brown Ale. This is a great idea, could even put a few doughnuts in the mash. :q:

Willie Tomg posted:

a guajilo and hibiscus kolsch with pure fuckin caffeine powder in the wort

This guy fucks.

social vegan

Luvcow posted:

can we call it dad breakfast

Arkanomen

All he wants is a hug
Man, I would kill for a light (3-5%) breakfast beer that tastes like strong, black coffee and is caffeinated. Could you use coffee as a base instead of water? Call it Sunrise Surprise because it gets you a little toasty with your morning toasty.

e:maaannnn beaten. Guess I should have had a coffee beer this morning.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

social vegan posted:

can we call it dad breakfast

yes, yes we can

Arkanomen posted:

Man, I would kill for a light (3-5%) breakfast beer that tastes like strong, black coffee and is caffeinated. Could you use coffee as a base instead of water? Call it Sunrise Surprise because it gets you a little toasty with your morning toasty.

definitely yes

social vegan

one time I had a beer with pink peppercorn and hibiscus and I thought it was going to be rank nasty but it was amazing and very good it was called snoodlepip i hope this inspires you all thank you

Arkanomen

All he wants is a hug
Oh man, I could have like a citrusy wheat beer with my coffee beer, add in like a chorizo-sausagy beer and have it with a big omelette and it'd be the best Saturday morning ever.

Arkanomen

All he wants is a hug
I would actually love a 6-pack of breakfast flavored beers. 2 sets of coffee, oj, and doughnut beer. Call it the "Part of this Complete Breakfast" pack.

Manifisto

I really like cardamom, and I guess that's something that goes with a saison--maybe a slightly malty/caramelly one? throwing a citrus in there (bergamot?) sounds good too.

maybe "spicy boy saison" would be a fun name? please do not put fire ants in the beer, however

ty nesamdoom!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Manifisto posted:

I really like cardamom, and I guess that's something that goes with a saison--maybe a slightly malty/caramelly one? throwing a citrus in there (bergamot?) sounds good too.

maybe "spicy boy saison" would be a fun name? please do not put fire ants in the beer, however

spicy boy saison would be a good af beer especially with a good caramelized smoke flavor, a lot of cardamom and nutmeggy flavors, and bergamot or even buddha's hand for a bright punch.

i also like the idea of a Piwo Grodziskie, smoky sweet with a subtle flowery, spicy hop undertone and nice warming spices with an apple-y pear-y finish to it, too.

Historical Wizards

I'm not a beer drinker so the only input I could give would be names.
And I can guarantee that they will all be bad.

Examples:
The Mop
Swinging Benny's
Rockin' Yob

Many thanks Social Vegan for the wonderful av, and Fanky Malloons for the sig

Manifisto

hamjobs posted:

i also like the idea of a Piwo Grodziskie, smoky sweet with a subtle flowery, spicy hop undertone and nice warming spices with an apple-y pear-y finish to it, too.

would order this based purely on the description without having any idea what a Pibluh Grobloblah is

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Manifisto posted:

would order this based purely on the description without having any idea what a Pibluh Grobloblah is

it's exactly what i described--a really clear, light beer that is usually made with oak-smoked wheat. super tasty, but can be improved greatly with bringing in more spices. also: polish beer. my in-laws brew it for me occasionally; i haven't had a chance because no room in the apartment right now until after show season.

They Might Be

Wow! There's a lot of great ideas in this thread. I'm really loving all the coffee suggestions, the spicy boy saison, and the polish beer (I'll have to check vendors tomorrow for smoked wheat malt). These are all possible.

Right now I'm thinking we keep the thread open for discussion and suggestions and I'll get a poll going tomorrow with the top 5-10 ideas that I can do!

Bacon Taco

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
IRL I am a master level BJCP judge, whatever that's worth. It's cool and good to homebrew with yobbers!

One of the guys in my homebrew club brewed a grodziski. It's really good. I vote for that.

Munchables

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

What about a cheese burger beer. Call it the beefy boy and send it to me.

google THIS

beer basted bratwurst beer, call it "I Brat the Wurst Baste Beer"

google THIS

then try to order it when you're already drunk

Absolute Lithops

After one long season
of waiting, after one
long season of wanting
Do an extra stout. We can name it a funny joke about goons being "extra stout." Let me know if my play on words goes over your head, I'll explain it for you.

They Might Be

Bacon Taco posted:

IRL I am a master level BJCP judge, whatever that's worth. It's cool and good to homebrew with yobbers!

One of the guys in my homebrew club brewed a grodziski. It's really good. I vote for that.

Right on! Glad to know there's fellow beer nerds here.

Good news on the Piwo Grodziskie front, I checked some suppliers when I got in this morning and it looks like BSG has the exact malt we'll need. Going to go ahead and order a 55lb bag tomorrow with our normal order.

social vegan

bless u

Gross Dude

Gross Dude
What if it's just a bottle full of bees and when you open it all the bees fly out. Just an idea OP,hope this helps.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

They Might Be posted:

Right on! Glad to know there's fellow beer nerds here.

Good news on the Piwo Grodziskie front, I checked some suppliers when I got in this morning and it looks like BSG has the exact malt we'll need. Going to go ahead and order a 55lb bag tomorrow with our normal order.

delicious. yay, piwo grodziskie!

i feel like i should be doing a home brew-a-long with you. i might do a five gallon brew; we'll see what i can cram in here and hopefully not end up with weird sheep hair in my beer.

social vegan

Gross Dude posted:

What if it's just a bottle full of bees and when you open it all the bees fly out. Just an idea OP,hope this helps.

an IBA

They Might Be

Gross Dude posted:

This beer is 100 ISU (international stinging units) due to the 100 bees we incorporated into it.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

call it BEEyoBEER.

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
what if you like made the beer out of weed op? the name could be a pun on weed. that would b pretty funny

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Business Gorillas

:harambe:

name it devil's bile and its orange juice and toothpaste flavored :twisted:

google THIS

make a stoat stout and somehow get it to turn white as it ages so it can be an ermine stout if you drink it during the winter

mysterious frankie

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
strawberry berliner weisse. not syruped, but maybe flavored with strawberry. it'd be cool to have a berliner weisse already "flavored" in the bottle. it's a style that I think would go over really well in the states given the right presentation, especially at summer events like outdoor festivals and the like. something with low abv that's refreshing and not overly sugary. name it strawbeery or something like that.

or an especially smooth porter that has an orange tint, call it the velvet overground.

----------------
Could the universe and starts be an enlarged reflection of the atomic world?

Jerry Mumphrey

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

mountain brew - beer that tastes like mountain dew

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

mountain brew - beer that tastes like mountain dew

served with artisanal hand crafted cheetohs

• Locked thread