Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

My sister and her fiance decided to steal/adopt his neighbor's cat because they weren't taking care of her. Before they got the chance, though, she got pregnant (because of course the negligent neighbors didn't even bother getting her spayed).

Now Momma Cat and her babies are at our house to have somewhere nice and warm with plenty of food until the babies are old enough to be rehomed or sent to a no-kill shelter. They're about two weeks old at this point, and Momma Cat is taking well to being indoors so far.

But because this isn't a PI thread without pictures, let me present!

Momma Cat (because my sister is real creative with names)!

Blurry as gently caress:

Loafing while keeping an eye on the babies:

And the babies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

We found fleas on the babies, so they got a bath today. My sister used either plain water or maybe some dawn soap as well, I'm not really sure, but they're still too young to use medicated flea products on. They spent some time in our dad's lap getting snuggles and dried off and kept warm, then let then hang out on the living room floor with Momma Cat feeding them and keeping an eye on them.

And in the interest of preventing Kitten Explosion Syndrome, here's a pic:

stayingalivetv
Oct 17, 2016
What age do they need to be before you can treat them for fleas with more intense stuff? I hope the bath helped take care of most of the problem! When I was a kid we had a mom cat just randomly show up and start walking around near our windows meowing really loud all the time. She knew exactly how to get our attention. We didn't know she was pregnant yet but then a little while later she started popping babies out. :D She was desperate for a safe place to nest and have her babies I guess.

You going to keep any of the kitties? Best of luck keeping those little hooligans out of trouble! :D

Check out some survival shenanigans:

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

There's stuff called Capstar that can be used as early as 4 weeks old (with a minimum weight requirement), but most flea treatment is 8+ weeks old.

The current plan is to not keep any of the kittens, but with the way my dad was rocking and humming to them as he helped dry them off and keep them warm after their bath...we'll have to see :kimchi:

Momma Cat is trusting of us enough now to actually bring the kittens out to the living room herself to let us play with them and let them explore...so long as my niece and nephew are asleep/not around. Not surprising about the kids, though, they're young and boisterous, and we have to be extra careful with them around the kittens just so they don't hurt them by accident. (Human kids are 6 and 2.)

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Are all the kittens long haired? Will you soon have 4 balls of fluff?

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Thin Privilege posted:

Are all the kittens long haired? Will you soon have 4 balls of fluff?

They don't seem long haired, but they're pretty fluffy already.

stayingalivetv
Oct 17, 2016

taiyoko posted:

Momma Cat is trusting of us enough now to actually bring the kittens out to the living room herself to let us play with them and let them explore...so long as my niece and nephew are asleep/not around. Not surprising about the kids, though, they're young and boisterous, and we have to be extra careful with them around the kittens just so they don't hurt them by accident. (Human kids are 6 and 2.)

Yeah, and make sure momma cat doesn't bust a cap for them being too rough with her kittens. Our dog is grown up and he still is still kind of scared of toddlers, poor thing. He loves people though, just not little kids. Our old dog was that way too. I don't know what it is about that age that inspires such distrust and anxiety in so many animals.

It sounds like your dad may need to keep at least one. ;D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

The babies are learning to climb, and enjoy using my jeans as an impromptu cat tree. They're also starting to get the zoomies a bit and learning how to use the bathroom. We got them a ferret litter box so it'd be easier for them to get in and out while they're still so little. I've taken to calling one of the boys "Stripes" just because he's the one with the stripes, but the only one with an actual name is the black boy cat, whom my nephew decided his name is Joey.

Introducing Momma Cat to Gonzo has been a slow process, but they can generally sit in the same room together without too much hissing...until she tries coming closer to one of "his" humans. But no outright fur flying is a good start right? Gonzo used to have a friend here before, our orange and white odd-eyed cat Spike, but we had Spike put to sleep because he was old and really suffering. So I'm hoping that once he adjusts to Momma Cat, he'll be happy to have a friend again.

Obligatory anti-KES Picture:

• Locked thread