Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Game is fun but I don't know that I like having to grind out stuff per character.

SweetBro posted:

I notice in For Honor, people who were clearly in previous tests will fight you as long as they keep on winning, but the moment you figure out how to counterplay them and drop them 3-0 all of a sudden they don't wanna play no more.

People are dumb babies for sure, but I'm not sure how much of people dropping at times that seem like ragequits are down to the game breaking, I've a ton of broken lobbies, disconnects, and had the anticheat cause a bluescreen.

Octavion posted:

I've got a code for PS4 but everyone I know is playing on PC. Anyone want to do a code swap?

I still have PC invites, uplay is the same as my forum name.

SweetBro posted:

Huh, people who play domination are really bad compared to those who do duels.

Domination is a bit of a clusterfuck which makes it harder to focus on things the same way you would in duels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

lohli posted:

bugged you with an uplay invite

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

TV dog Wishbone of PBS posted:

bugged you with an uplay invite

Sent, one left, gonna hold it for the ps4 guy.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
so how does this play? Is it more like chivalry: medieval warfare or more like dark souls or one of those far eastern games with like a billion chinese soldiers? dynasty wars??

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
It plays like a weird hybrid of all of those.

Killing the fodder soldiers is how you maintain control of the central objective point, by pushing the front line so that your dudes maintain a wall of soldiers at the far edge of the central objective. The combat itself is like a weird hybrid of Chivalry and Dark Souls, I don't think I can really explain which ones it's more like in certain regards, but so far it's fun and generally doesn't feel like it's a case of people mashing buttons to win or anything.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

lohli posted:

He's got one. You don't need to hold it anymore.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

After using a 360 controller ever since the very first technical test, I finally gave m+kb a try. And I have to say (after a painful adjustment period), I think I actually prefer that to the controller. Blocking and parrying feels a bit quicker, but more importantly I can now use dodge and guardbreak much faster, since I don't have to maneuver my thumb from the stick to the face buttons every time. Feinting especially is far more doable on the fly.

Also, on an unrelated note: gently caress the warlord's stupid headbutt.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I love that you can play all characters without unlocking them so you can actually try out every single character to scope out if you like them without spending your steel (or whatever). I've already seen a bunch of people posting they hate the unlocks and micro transactions but actually they are done amazingly well. Gear has no effect unless you make a custom lobby for 1v1 or 2v2, only in 4v4 does gear stats come into play. I find 2v2 is the most fun anyway, so that's fine with me.

1. 1v1 modes and 2v2 modes DEFAULT TO GEAR STATS HAVING NO EFFECT .
2. Unlocking characters only lets you unlock gear/customization for that character. YOU CAN CHOOSE TO PLAY ANY 'LOCKED' CHARACTER IN THE PREBATTLE SCREEN.

buckets of buckets posted:

so how does this play? Is it more like chivalry: medieval warfare or more like dark souls or one of those far eastern games with like a billion chinese soldiers? dynasty wars??

1/3 chivalry/mount&blade (directional attacks, blocking, feinting)
1/3 dark souls (third person lock on)
1/3 street fighter (combo moves, throws, guardbreak, interrupts)

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 27, 2017

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

SweetBro posted:

This was an incredibly easy set of fights, after 3-0ing the guy twice he called it quits.

Is this weird? I generally do a 2 out of 3 and cycle to a new person. That is, unless I completely outclass a person. I've never thought that a newbie might want to spar for a while even if he gets completely wrecked. I should change my policy on rematching duels.

Also, for variety's sake, I tend to swap characters between rematches no matter whether I've won the previous match or lost it. Scrub move or fun toss-up?

Shifty gimbal fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 27, 2017

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?
If someone has an extra PS4 invite I would love you long time. PS4 name is same as forum name.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
After playing this for ten minutes I dunno if I like it but I really appreciate that you can choose the gender of your dudes. Most of them, anyway.

I guess I have some invites if anyone still needs 'em. I'm in Europe, on PC.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

This game is fun, but not fun enough to buy at release for me. I'll probably buy it on sale, play through the campaign, and then try online only to die repeatedly to all the pros that have been playing since alpha.

I had a lot of success last night with Warden's special unblockable parry. Instead of using heavy attack to parry, use light attack. The caveat is that it only works on overhead attacks. It's fast, unblockable, and does a shitload of damage.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Trillhouse posted:

This game is fun, but not fun enough to buy at release for me. I'll probably buy it on sale, play through the campaign, and then try online only to die repeatedly to all the pros that have been playing since alpha.

I had a lot of success last night with Warden's special unblockable parry. Instead of using heavy attack to parry, use light attack. The caveat is that it only works on overhead attacks. It's fast, unblockable, and does a shitload of damage.

This is how I feel. Fun game, but not quite as fun as Chivalry. If it was coming out in isolation, I'd def grab it, but in a period of time that Nioh, Nier, Horizon, and Breath of the Wild, this kind of gets shoved to the bottom of that pile.

Octavion
Apr 5, 2009

lohli posted:

Cheers for the offer. Manged to get an invite off a mate.

I had to create a new account to get it because apparently if you've been sent a PS4 invite you can't get a PC one. :psyduck:

Photux
Sep 3, 2012

Funny then, that such darkness gives me hope
Played a bit as a Conqueror last night, and wow am I terrible at this. I do ok until I mess up once and panic and get hit another dozen times. I think I need to stick to duels for a while; even when I do badly I feel like I'm learning, unlike my chaotic flailing in 4v4. I've also never successfully guard break countered another guard break. The timing seems really tight, and having to take my thumb off the stick just takes too long.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

I feel like this game is better on KB+m, maybe that's because I'm a mount and blade vet but I feel more in control w/KB+m over using a controller and I tried both for the game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Game is fun to play but it seems a little lacking in the value department. It's really just a fun dueling game but I'm not sure it has the same depth as a conventional fighting game. The 4v4 is half baked, it's ok I guess. The faction war is a dumb gimmick not even worth mentioning. As a whole the game really has nothing in it of any significant interest besides "good duels".

Considering that it will have a campaign I guess it will probably be of comparable total value to like Star Wars: Battlefront on release, maybe a little less. You can take that as you will. I'm on the fence on whether or not it worth a purchase. It is absolutely NOT worth a blind purchase of the season pass.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 27, 2017

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Hey, I'm trying to send a friend a beta invite. When I clicked the beta invite link before, it took me to a page that I could have invited my friends through. Now when I click the link from my email it says "YOU DON'T HAVE ACCESS TO THIS PAGE!" What gives?

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

peer posted:

After playing this for ten minutes I dunno if I like it but I really appreciate that you can choose the gender of your dudes. Most of them, anyway.

I guess I have some invites if anyone still needs 'em. I'm in Europe, on PC.

I need an invite. I'm ZZZorc at uPlay

Anyone else on PC feel free to add me to play with (or give the beta key)

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Photux posted:

Played a bit as a Conqueror last night, and wow am I terrible at this. I do ok until I mess up once and panic and get hit another dozen times. I think I need to stick to duels for a while; even when I do badly I feel like I'm learning, unlike my chaotic flailing in 4v4. I've also never successfully guard break countered another guard break. The timing seems really tight, and having to take my thumb off the stick just takes too long.

Note that Conqueror is also one of the relatively more difficult characters. You have little range and not much in the way of openers, and are fairly reliant on being good at countering and parrying. You can put a lot of pressure on a guy when you get them into a corner and spam the attack + shield-bash combo a bunch.

On counter-guardbreaks, the timing really is a tad ounterintuuitive. You need to hit the button as or right after the opponent connects his. There's a section in the Advanced tutorial where you can practise it.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

How are the net code and ubi servers holding up so far? The game looks pretty cool (much like Siege), but I worry that Uplay being the retarded monkeys they are that it will be hampered by their trademark terrible servers and netcode (also like Siege).

Also, on PC how does gamepad compare to mouse and keyboard? Seems like a dual stick setup would probably work really well, having not played it.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

ZZZorcerer posted:

I need an invite. I'm ZZZorc at uPlay

I sent you one, so check your mail or uplay account page or wherever it ends up. Got two more if anyone's up (EU, pc)

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

peer posted:

I sent you one, so check your mail or uplay account page or wherever it ends up. Got two more if anyone's up (EU, pc)

E: nvm got one from another goon.

Khagan fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 27, 2017

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

lohli posted:

Do you still have a PC invite

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Zaodai posted:

How are the net code and ubi servers holding up so far? The game looks pretty cool (much like Siege), but I worry that Uplay being the retarded monkeys they are that it will be hampered by their trademark terrible servers and netcode (also like Siege).

Also, on PC how does gamepad compare to mouse and keyboard? Seems like a dual stick setup would probably work really well, having not played it.

Quite well, for a beta. Rarely you end up in a bugged lobby that never starts, but so far I'd say 9/10 times it starts up fine. Connectivity during matches is generally fine, even if the host drops it reconnects and resumes just fine. The only thing that's a little iffy at times is the party system, every so often the party seems to corrupt and you'll have to recreate it from scratch for it to work.

As for controller vs. m+kb, both are perfectly viable. I've played all of the previous alphas/betas with controller and switched over to m+kb for this one, and find myself liking the latter just a tad more. It's probably just a matter of which you're generally more used to on the whole.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Wait, if the host drops? This is all peer to peer?

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
The party system is pretty busted if you are messing with custom matches. Every time I want to mess with the games settings I have to kick everyone out and reinvite them which is literally every game since I want to change bots up constantly.

The bots are pretty savage though which is good, can't remember the last game I played with good bots.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I want to think about buying this after I try it tonight, but Peer to Peer is a major drawback for me. If someone pays $60 for a game then it shouldn't be P2P imo.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

eonwe posted:

I want to think about buying this after I try it tonight, but Peer to Peer is a major drawback for me. If someone pays $60 for a game then it shouldn't be P2P imo.

I personally like the p2p as I feel it reduces lag in 1v1

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Zaodai posted:

Wait, if the host drops? This is all peer to peer?

Yes. The Ubisoft servers just handle matchmaking and the pointless Faction War stuff. All gameplay is peer to peer.

This is also why Duel/Brawl is more reliable than Domination. P2P poo poo just breaks down past a couple players.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Keegers posted:

I personally like the p2p as I feel it reduces lag in 1v1

Well, it would be assured to reduce lag at least 50% of the time in that situation, because the host is getting zero lag and a big advantage.

As much as I poo poo on Ubi's terrible servers, running a low lat multiplayer combat game peer to peer in the year 2017 is hilariously even worse. I might pick this up when it's on sale or something down the road, but yeah I'm not putting down AAA money to play a game on some guy's Tandy in Croatia because he made the lobby.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

This is also why Duel/Brawl is more reliable than Domination. P2P poo poo just breaks down past a couple players.

I agree, domination should have dedicated servers.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I dunno how it is yet today but it took all day yesterday before I could join a 4v4 pvp match. Lots of disconnection errors and stuff. I wouldn't say the connectivity is good by any means. 1v1 pve duels are the only thing that actually works reliably. This is all for PS4.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
FYI there is an option in controls to turn L2 into a toggle. No longer do you have to hold down L2 to be in guard mode for 80% of a match giving you serious crab hand.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

lohli posted:

Please please please invite me. SpacePrez on PC OR PS4. I've been trying to play this game since it was first announced, I signed up for the beta instantly, I have no idea how so many have keys and I didn't get an email.

Please hook me up. I've been posting in this thread and no luck still :(

2 people added me as friends but nobody actually sent me the invite yet. Somebody, please :pray:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 27, 2017

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
People must not like the Kensai very much, I'm like the only person playing him.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I still have 0 PC invite codes in case anybody still needs some.

All codes gone.

Randler fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 27, 2017

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

Yes. The Ubisoft servers just handle matchmaking and the pointless Faction War stuff. All gameplay is peer to peer.

This is terrible news :negative:

Randler posted:

I still have 3 PC invite codes in case anybody still needs some.

uplay: Randwandler

Me please! Added!

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Randler posted:

I still have 3 PC invite codes in case anybody still needs some.

uplay: Randwandler

Added you as "fatmanuel"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Chomp8645 posted:

People must not like the Kensai very much, I'm like the only person playing him.

I'm absolutely loving kensai, if only because I'm used to then so far. The triple attack guard crush is seriously loving with people and I can almost knock people down in one combo. Dominion is hilarious to with the second passive. "Oh no low on health hold up *stab eighty dudes* k full health ready to go again"