Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Is this game fun unlike nms?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the jokes tend to hit that sweet spot of being just corny enough to where at worst they're fairly tolerable and at best they actually wrap around to being sorta funny given what all is going on

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I have no idea what's going on half the time, I'm just running around slicing and dicing and occasionally killing a ton of poo poo with a grenade launcher that is somehow both electrical and freezing. Plus there's incredibly corny jokes.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I jammed as many elements onto one gun as I could and it was a terrible idea and did very little damage overall but it looked real pretty with enemies exploding into starbursts of varying colors and particle effects.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Bring back shurikens and quick melee and this game will be perfect

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
Thanks for making a thread, Zaphod.

I really like this game. I played a bit yesterday afternoon, and again last night, and then it was accidentally 4am. So my sleep schedule is hosed but the game's super fun.

I'm focusing on melee for now and saving guns for a separate co-op playthrough. Do you get any melee powers besides Sting and Vortex later on?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I jumped off a cliff holding a Chainsword.
Did the full charged spin attack beyblade thing.
Rotated myself 90 degrees so that I was spinning down towards the ground.
Shainsworded right through the second boss in slowmotion while falling down and spinning, splitting the boss in two vertical halves.
GOTY.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

the jokes tend to hit that sweet spot of being just corny enough to where at worst they're fairly tolerable and at best they actually wrap around to being sorta funny given what all is going on

"Mess with the bull and you'll get the Wang."

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
My favourite exchange from the first game will always be this one:

quote:

Lo Wang: The only thing worse than a friend who tells bad jokes is a friend who tells bad jokes inside your head.
Hoji: [feigning excitement] Did you just say we were friends? Best fwends??
Lo Wang: If I killed myself, would it kill you too? Please say yes.
Hoji: [flatly] Yes.
Lo Wang: You're lying aren't you?
Hoji: [exact same tone] Yes.

How do the side characters compare to Hoji's writing?

Zagrod
Jun 26, 2005

fiyah fiyah fiyah
Clapping Larry

Sweet. There's also a second room - 1:1 model of our 3d artists' room. It's nearby Kamiko's apartment

Morter posted:

While I don't disagree with you, I have no clue why they would have it spawn early to begin with. Why not be in a chest, or given as part of a cutscene??

It's pretty much a huge tease, yea

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

poptart_fairy posted:

My favourite exchange from the first game will always be this one:

Ehhh. I don't like Kamiko as much as I liked Hoji but they're about the same in terms of back-and-forths with The Wang.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Unfortunately, not so well. I'm only a few hours in but so far they have replaced Hoji with someone making an impression of an annoying teenage girl.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ah, had a feeling that was going to be the case. Pre-release materials didn't sell me on the character at all.

Zagrod
Jun 26, 2005

fiyah fiyah fiyah
Clapping Larry

kuroiXiru posted:

I'm focusing on melee for now and saving guns for a separate co-op playthrough. Do you get any melee powers besides Sting and Vortex later on?

There's also Force Slash - which is the projectile that Bladez of Zaibatsu are doing on attack when you have ammo

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

poptart_fairy posted:

Ah, had a feeling that was going to be the case. Pre-release materials didn't sell me on the character at all.

They actually made a really smart decision regarding the back-and-forths: At the start of a mission you have to hold E to have the starting conversation, so if you don't wanna hear them you can just not hit the button and it'll add them to your encyclopedia for you to listen to later.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

Zagrod posted:

There's also Force Slash - which is the projectile that Bladez of Zaibatsu are doing on attack when you have ammo

That's gonna be a separate skill? Sweet.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Zaphod making a thread about a game *and* having good opinions about it?
What is this nonsense?

e: Also, pulling your sword out is an attack on it's own for extra cool style points.
Make sure to press R with your sword out once the battle is over to wipe off the blood.

This game is all about being cool.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Oct 14, 2016

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Jack Trades posted:

Unfortunately, not so well. I'm only a few hours in but so far they have replaced Hoji with someone making an impression of an annoying teenage girl.

Which is effectively what Kamiko is.

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

Capn Beeb posted:

Bring back shurikens and quick melee and this game will be perfect

Quick Melee is in the game. Near an enemy hit the melee change button (G i think). I read this on a loading screen

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
The starting shotgun in this game feels so good, especially when you're just dashing head first into enemies, shooting, and dashing away for another pass like some kind of beautiful falcon with a shotgun that is also making non-stop dick jokes

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
The amount of legendaries you get on the hardest difficulty is nice

Best coop find yet

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Gonna buy this game

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The game is pretty loving great and the combat is absolutely amazing. Feels smooth and all the weapons feel powerful. I especially love the Chainsword.'

I only got a few gripes with the game.
1) Hoji was actually fun most of the time. Kamiko got no sense of humor and mostly is just annoying, at least as far as I've played.
2) I wish fewer upgrades would drop so that all of them would actually be useful instead.
The elemental upgrades, the ones that turn your weapon into a turret or let you wield 2 weapons at the same time are all good.
The ones that give you +5 damage or +1% life steal or whatever are not good and would only please arpg spergs.
3) I wish there was an option to cast powers with button combinations, the same way you did it in SW1.
There are waaay to many shortcuts you have to deal with right now. Especially considering that using the weapon wheel doesn't stop/slow time, even in single player.

Other than these things, the game is loving amazing and I'm definitely not regretting pre-ordering it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I miss Hoji. I was really hoping they'd find a way to bring him back, but oh well. The gameplay is fantastic

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, I liked Hoji too.

Thread title should be "that is deeply stupid".

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Also, the damage auras on some special enemies are pretty unfun. How am I supposed to dance around their attacks like a beautiful death wang when I constantly take a DoT for even getting close to them briefly?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

FIre in the hole! And by hole I mean your face.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Enjoying the game so far. I could not give a poo poo about the upgrade pickups though. It feels like this gameplay idea was half baked and not really thought through. I maxed out my character's item hoover skill making it even worse. I'm a the point where I don't even bother rotating them. They don't seem necessary to beating the game.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Alan Is More Upset posted:

Enjoying the game so far. I could not give a poo poo about the upgrade pickups though. It feels like this gameplay idea was half baked and not really thought through. I maxed out my character's item hoover skill making it even worse. I'm a the point where I don't even bother rotating them. They don't seem necessary to beating the game.

I just reset my gems between missions. Never felt a need to do so mid-gameplay

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Reminds me of the random drop system in Darksiders 2, completely unnecessary and annoying but in there because they heard people like that stuff.

Are these environments randomly generated? If so then they are the most natural looking I have seen yet, given that it's a demon-twisted world.

Zagrod
Jun 26, 2005

fiyah fiyah fiyah
Clapping Larry

Out of curiosity - which difficulty are you playing on?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

Reminds me of the random drop system in Darksiders 2, completely unnecessary and annoying but in there because they heard people like that stuff.

Are these environments randomly generated? If so then they are the most natural looking I have seen yet, given that it's a demon-twisted world.

1. You start finding some gems with unique and pretty fun effects after a while.

2. Story missions are not procedural, but side missions are. They still flow really really well since they use the Diablo 3 method of a bunch of interlocking "pieces"

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Accordion Man posted:

Rather disappointed that my fears of Wang's character arc from the first game not sticking ended up being true, but it does play real well.

This also bummed me out a bit, just because I really liked the "sorry, I used to be an rear end in a top hat" character that Wang had become by the end of the first game. Maybe if they put a little more dialogue in about how Wang regressed after his attempts to save the world ended up causing the collision it'd feel less like a cop-out.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

jivjov posted:

I just reset my gems between missions. Never felt a need to do so mid-gameplay

This plus I'm:
* Junking everything in the "Weapon Upgrades" category, since it's all just boring stat bonuses.
* Junking everything that's White.
* Stacking every weapon with 3 Elemental mods (or 1 unique mod, like Turret or Akimbo, and 2 elemental mods)

That makes the upgrade system much more tolerable.

I'm playing on Hard, by the way, and it seems to work alright.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, it feels exactly like that.
Although, unlike Darksiders 2, the game still kicks rear end.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Zagrod posted:

Out of curiosity - which difficulty are you playing on?

Normal difficulty. I played with multiplayer on at 3 player difficulty for an hour or so. No one joined so I went back to single player.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
How do you actually sell mods? They have a sell value but clicking the delete button just moves them to the junk tab, where they continue to show up as something I can slot into a weapon whenever I browse the mod list from the weapon UI.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Lemon-Lime posted:

How do you actually sell mods? They have a sell value but clicking the delete button just moves them to the junk tab, where they continue to show up as something I can slot into a weapon whenever I browse the mod list from the weapon UI.

The sell button is at the top left of the shop screens. I don't blame you on not seeing it. Its not in a very intuitive spot.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I like the game's de-emphasis on the parts of Diablo I don't like (min/maxing item stats) but I do wish the UI didn't also follow that philosophy. Being able to tag stuff as junk is great, but I'd kill for a "sell all junk" button, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Black Lodge Palpek posted:

I think the games listed in the OP as comparison aren't giving this justice. Borderlands/Diablo should be listed even if the OP doesn't like them or something as there are drops, numbers falling out of the enemies, skills and spells, procedurally generated areas etc. Also it can be played as singleplayer as well and it's not clear.

Fair enough, I just wanted to throw up an OP since the game was out already and people were having conversations split across a half dozen threads. I'll add that for now, and today I'll actually go in and re-write a more in-depth OP.

CJacobs posted:

My favorite way to get around has become dash -> jump -> air dash -> double jump. You go crazy fast with a couple speed gems stacked up.

I love that you can just dash endlessly over and over with no 'stamina' or limits. It feels so free. You can seriously fly around the map.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Oct 14, 2016

• Locked thread